or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS 'uber hacker' Comex no longer working for Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 'uber hacker' Comex no longer working for Apple

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
In a tweet on Thursday, Nicholas Allegra, better known by his hacker handle "Comex," announced that he was no longer interning at Apple, ending a one-year stint at the Cupertino company.

October 18, 2012

A follow-up tweet explained that Allegra was not fired from Apple, but "forgot to reply to an email," which Fortune discovered to be an offer to continue employment as a remote intern. Comex first joined Apple in August 2011.

?I wasn?t too happy about it, but it didn?t seem like I was able to fix it,? Allegra said, referring to the
rescinded offer. ?So that?s what it is.?

The hacker, who gained legendary status by coding iOS jailbreaking tools like JailbreakMe 2 and JailbreakMe 3, admitted that there was a bit more to the story of his departure from Apple, but declined to comment further. Allegra did say, however, that "it wasn't a bad ending," pointing out that he enjoyed his time in Cupertino.

As for the future, Allegra said he plans to concentrate on his studies at Brown University, adding that he may not be returning to the iOS jailbreaking scene any time soon as it is likely to be a breach of his former contract with Apple.
post #2 of 57

DAMN! I didn't know about the contract thing. And that sucks because now Apple has no reason to rehire him since he can't be a jailbreaker now. Where is he going to work? What is going to do?

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #3 of 57
OT: It'll be interesting to see if iOS 6 can be Jailbroken since it has kernel ASLR.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 57
They didnt want him in the first place they set up this contract because they know what he is capable of and wanted to take him out of the jailbreak community by making it a restriction in his contract
post #5 of 57
Originally Posted by rgroves View Post
They didn't want him in the first place…

 

Proof? They "didn't want" to have the guy screwing with their software working for them instead of against them? They ONLY wanted him to stop the against?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Proof? They "didn't want" to have the guy screwing with their software working for them instead of against them? They ONLY wanted him to stop the against?

 

He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple. I've known or interacted with a couple of guys like this. They don't function like the rest of us.

post #7 of 57

That was quick!  Just seems like I was reading a post that Apple had hired him.  Good luck in your future... in the meantime, you know where to find me... rotting away in front of my Apple.

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgroves View Post

They didnt want him in the first place they set up this contract because they know what he is capable of and wanted to take him out of the jailbreak community by making it a restriction in his contract

A contract which he apparently agreed to, and to which Apple held up their end. Why don't you tell us again how Apple masterminded the fake Moon Landing in '69, and silenced anyone who would reveal the truth by offering them a one year internship?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That was quick!  Just seems like I was reading a post that Apple had hired him.  Good luck in your future... in the meantime, you know where to find me... rotting away in front of my Apple.
/
/

It doesn't seem like a year, does it?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 57

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

post #11 of 57
Just because of an email not replied to?? Seems odd...
post #12 of 57
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple.

 

 

*cough* If that's actually the case, I hate what Apple has become.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by verucabong View Post

Just because of an email not replied to?? Seems odd...

 

If Apple wanted him, a missed email would mean nothing. He doesn't sound that upset either. Both parties shrugged and moved on, so I doubt he was engaged in anything useful.

post #14 of 57

Bottom line: Interns don't make any money.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 57
Deleted
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

*cough* If that's actually the case, I hate what Apple has become.

'IF' that's the case...?

 

i suspect you hate apple anyway.

post #17 of 57
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post
'IF' that's the case...?

 

So you're providing evidence/agreeing with the idea that Apple has abandoned the "crazy ones" ideal?

 

i suspect you hate apple anyway.

 

White-hot loathing. It's the only answer that could ever make sense.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #18 of 57
"Remote Intern".

I wonder what that equals in "foxconn workers"?

Sounds like a nice gig. Never had to go get coffee for his boss.

Maybe he missed the email because he forgot to pay his wireless bill?

And was at the end of the line for a new iPhone 5 and couldn't get wi-fi?

And then once he had his iPhone 5 he had to run home and jailbreak it?

That took longer that expected because he scratched the case and decided to take it back.

And used the iOS6 Maps to find his way back to the Apple store and got lost.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

I jailbreak my iPad for precisely 2 things:

The 5-line keyboard http://www.ipadforums.net/attachments/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/10748d1330978571-5-row-keyboard-ipad-image-1933232229.jpg
And Activator http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/activator-1-5-8-cydia-tweak/

The other little things I can get are neat but I wouldn't miss them.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates and hackers.

PS: Quasar is an awesome looking app but not worth $10 to me so I can't vouch for it.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

I jailbreak my iPad for precisely 2 things:

The 5-line keyboard http://www.ipadforums.net/attachments/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/10748d1330978571-5-row-keyboard-ipad-image-1933232229.jpg
And Activator http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/activator-1-5-8-cydia-tweak/

The other little things I can get are neat but I wouldn't miss them.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates and hackers.

PS: Quasar is an awesome looking app but not worth $10 to me so I can't vouch for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?


I don't understand this jailbreaking thing either. Really, for what purpose? Cheaper apps - as in 'free'? That's just wrong. And stupid, since we're all connected and this will come back to you, in a negative way.

Ah, ok, Fugly Fonts. Hmm, certainly not my thing. Can you detach it for Thumb Typing?

Quasar shows up as a free app on my AppStore. Non-American store that is. If it's awesome looking why don't you simply pay the $10 for it?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #21 of 57
He probably didn't want a steady (dull) job anyway.
More fun just playing around, doing what you want to.
post #22 of 57
Not all that odd. Apple's main mission was as much to find out what he knows so a short internship is the cost effective way to go about it.
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Not all that odd. Apple's main mission was as much to find out what he knows so a short internship is the cost effective way to go about it.

I wonder just how much he would reveal to Apple though...

 

1smoking.gif

post #24 of 57

No man! You are not alone trust me....the fuss with the JB is being done from the people that do it. People that don't do it or don't need to do it, are just happy and that's it. They don't go into forums braging how happy they are for not JBing their phone / tablet.

post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

 

If Apple wanted him, a missed email would mean nothing. He doesn't sound that upset either. Both parties shrugged and moved on, so I doubt he was engaged in anything useful.


A missed email or communique means everything. It shows the mindset and the lack of respect for the organization. If I send out a job offer to someone and he or she does not reply, I am not sending out another. Same with a job application, if I send one in and I don't hear back from them, I assume they are not interested in hiring me.

post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

I've had no desire to jailbreak any iOS devices, but I often have wanted to downgrade the OS. Reminders app in iOS 5.1 was the first time I had a "perfect for me" reminders app. Sometimes, it seems, the iOS team cannot just leave well enough alone.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post


A missed email or communique means everything. It shows the mindset and the lack of respect for the organization. If I send out a job offer to someone and he or she does not reply, I am not sending out another. Same with a job application, if I send one in and I don't hear back from them, I assume they are not interested in hiring me.

 

Really? In a time when probably 90% or more of all email traffic is spam, spoofs, and various scams, you are going to depend on a single time-sensitve email to determine the continuation of an employment contract? 

post #28 of 57
'The Crazy Ones' really only applied to the older employees of Apple.
They went completely against the grain.
Now that the 'true' Crazy One (Steve Jobs) is gone. That term just doesn't seem to apply anymore. It is 'Business' now.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[image]

Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

Nope. I would guess that 99% of people who own iOS devices have no desire to jailbrake them, or even know what it means.

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

 

I have never and probably will never jailbreak my devices. Apple keeps updating iOS enough to keep me satisfied so far. 

post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Really? In a time when probably 90% or more of all email traffic is spam, spoofs, and various scams, you are going to depend on a single time-sensitve email to determine the continuation of an employment contract? 


Yes.

I am not sure how it is every where but in some large corporations where million dollar deals are handled via email, it's very important to check your email and respond accordingly.

It is this very culture that made push email so important and in the past RIM so successful.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

Yes.
I am not sure how it is every where but in some large corporations where million dollar deals are handled via email, it's very important to check your email and respond accordingly.
It is this very culture that made push email so important and in the past RIM so successful.

 

Nope.  Someone at one end of any deal (million bucks or not) and often at both ends wants it to happen.  No deal falls through JUST because of one missed email.  There are always other circumstances.

 

In this case they were probably weren't very keen on keeping him but someone stepped up to vouch for sending the continuation.  When they didn't get a response they let it go.  If they really wanted to keep him they'd have spoken, either face to face or at least on the phone.  Maybe the person that backed him did that and he still dropped the ball or maybe the person didn't feel all that strongly about keeping him either.

 

But it is complete bullshit that large corporations will let deals that they care about die because of a missed email.

post #34 of 57
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?

 

I don't use the stock TextEdit icon anymore, and so I didn't have it handy to post when I needed it. The one I use doesn't have the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" speech on it, and since the real icon isn't legally available online anywhere, I grabbed the first modded one I found. Here's what I use. I guess it's not my favorite, but it is well done, and it's good for visual differentiation so that TextEdit is now a subconscious mouse move. If I find a better one with the speech, I'll change to that.

 

 

Does say, "Dear Steve," though.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple. I've known or interacted with a couple of guys like this. They don't function like the rest of us.


I suspect you are right. Apple would probably rather have him working for them making devices more difficult to jailbreak, but the next best thing for them is to have him stop. It isn't coincidental that they put that in a contract.

 

What? A hacker who doesn't fit into corporate guidelines and rules? I can't imagine that! :>D

post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

No desire to? Or no ability to? ;)

post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Nope.  Someone at one end of any deal (million bucks or not) and often at both ends wants it to happen.  No deal falls through JUST because of one missed email.  There are always other circumstances.

In this case they were probably weren't very keen on keeping him but someone stepped up to vouch for sending the continuation.  When they didn't get a response they let it go.  If they really wanted to keep him they'd have spoken, either face to face or at least on the phone.  Maybe the person that backed him did that and he still dropped the ball or maybe the person didn't feel all that strongly about keeping him either.

But it is complete bullshit that large corporations will let deals that they care about die because of a missed email.

If I sent an email that says give me a better offer by the end of the day for a multi million dollar deal and I don't get a reply, I am moving down the list to the next offer. That's how it is.

You are assuming there is only one person of his caliber interning at Apple. There are probably dozens and most of them probably want to stay on at Apple with Apple only offering a few slots.
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

 

I have never and probably will never jailbreak my devices. Apple keeps updating iOS enough to keep me satisfied so far. 

I want to jailbreak my Apple TV so I can access more than just what Apple chooses to give me.  Might not happen though, ATV2s are selling for $150 to $200 because they can be jailbroke.  I might sell mine.

post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?

I don't use the stock TextEdit icon anymore, and so I didn't have it handy to post when I needed it. The one I use doesn't have the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" speech on it, and since the real icon isn't legally available online anywhere, I grabbed the first modded one I found. Here's what I use. I guess it's not my favorite, but it is well done, and it's good for visual differentiation so that TextEdit is now a subconscious mouse move. If I find a better one with the speech, I'll change to that.



Does say, "Dear Steve," though.

You sir, are a real trouper. I mean, to find the time to post a reply to my oh so not important message is one thing, but to go through the hassle of explaining it all, I just don't understand where you find the time to do so.

OT: won't these custom icons get killed at every software update? Save . releases?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #40 of 57
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
OT: won't these custom icons get killed at every software update? Save . releases?

 

Yeah, and it bugs me. Same thing happens with App Store apps*, which are supposed to be delta updates, aren't they? I guess I'm used to going through the motions of Application/(right-click)Show Package Contents/Contents/Resources and dragging in my custom icon again. But I do use a fair few of them. 

 

 

 

 

*Specifically The Unarchiver, whose icon and filetypes I change to match Archive Utility**, save for EXE files, which I change to the old (actually halfway decent) Windows icon so that I can parse those at a glance. 


**Even further off-topic, do you have 10.8.2? Is Archive Utility completely and utterly broken for you, too? It freezes every time I use it and has to be force quit. I have to right-click ZIPs and use The Unarchiver… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS 'uber hacker' Comex no longer working for Apple