or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Military Time in XP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Military Time in XP

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
My friend has military time set up on his mac, but he wants to know if there is a way to set it up in windows XP. Anyone have any clues?
GO HOKIES!!
Reply
GO HOKIES!!
Reply
post #2 of 16
2 things come to mind:
  • why would some1 want to do that?
  • why help a windows user [an xp user more-the-less]?
post #3 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:
<strong>2 things come to mind:
  • why would some1 want to do that?
  • why help a windows user [an xp user more-the-less]?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, more than just the military use a 24 hour clock. It actually makes more sense to me, and that's why I've been running a 24 hour clock for as long as I can remember.

Furthermore, you never accidentally set your alarm to 7:30PM instead of AM.

I don't know how to do it in XP... try right clicking the clock in the taskbar, and it should bring up some prefs. If not, look in international controls. I did it once when I had an XP box....
post #4 of 16
bless Europe... everything is 24h...
post #5 of 16
If we could get rid of daylight savings times, adapt a 24 hour clock, and join the rest of the world and use the bloody metric system, it'd be a better county Crime would go away, corrupt politicians would disappear... really, it would...
post #6 of 16
you don't have daylight saving time nor the metric system ? hell, that must be a ****ing country to live in. J/K, it doesn't really matter... but still.. no daylight saving time ? :: sheesh :: !!! (I knew the second one, but the first... <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> )
post #7 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:
<strong>If we could ... adapt a 24 hour clock,</strong><hr></blockquote>

As long as you mean adopt, with the letter O, I share your wish. We wouldn't want to adapt (change) the great 24 hour clock.

[quote]<strong>and join the rest of the world and use the bloody metric system, it'd be a better county </strong><hr></blockquote>

No kidding, Jack! Finally a voice of reason. I've been living here for over 8 years now, and I still haven't gotten used to bloody Fahrenheit (what a joke!), feet and inches (give me a break!), gallons and (liquid) ounces, and pounds and ounces (WTF?). I've actually promised myself not to become a US citizen until the US adopts the metric system. There's a good chance I'll have to stick with my French and Swiss citizenships forever (which I prefer anyway).

Escher

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #8 of 16
Heh simple question that took me five minutes to find the answer to... you'd figure it'd be in the Date/Time Control panel.

But no... go to Regional and Language settings Control Panel, click on the Customize button, click on the Time tab, time format should be H:mm:ss (third option from top).
What the problem is?
Reply
What the problem is?
Reply
post #9 of 16
F*** windows.

This isn't a board where you ask trouble-shooting questions for the winblows OS. If thats gonna be done here, the mods should create a Forum entitled "P.O.S.-OS's"

Long live the real OS.- Mac OS X
post #10 of 16
Heh. Releasing frustration or something?
What the problem is?
Reply
What the problem is?
Reply
post #11 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by Escher:
<strong>

No kidding, Jack! Finally a voice of reason. I've been living here for over 8 years now, and I still haven't gotten used to bloody Fahrenheit (what a joke!), feet and inches (give me a break!), gallons and (liquid) ounces, and pounds and ounces (WTF?). I've actually promised myself not to become a US citizen until the US adopts the metric system. There's a good chance I'll have to stick with my French and Swiss citizenships forever (which I prefer anyway).

Escher

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

...wonder if the FIRST atomic bomb used metric
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #12 of 16
Tell your friend to buy a mac.
post #13 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by MCQ:
<strong>Heh simple question that took me five minutes to find the answer to... you'd figure it'd be in the Date/Time Control panel.

But no... go to Regional and Language settings Control Panel, click on the Customize button, click on the Time tab, time format should be H:mm:ss (third option from top).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, in Mac OS X the option for a 24 hour clock used to be in International settings. A lot of people couldn't find it, so I'd say it was just as cryptic as Windows
post #14 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:
<strong>...wonder if the FIRST atomic bomb used metric</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have no doubt that the makers of the first atomic bomb did. Any serious scientist would. The bomb itself couldn't care less. Ever tried to do scientific calculations using the Imperial system? I hope not!

Escher

[Edit: Had to add a smiley face lest I take myself (and be taken) too seriously.]

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #15 of 16
atomic bombs have had macs in it. not in WWII though.
post #16 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by chweave1:
<strong>My friend has military time set up on his mac, but he wants to know if there is a way to set it up in windows XP. Anyone have any clues?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jack@$$, you're just trying to uncover my roots...

Have your idiot friend reverse his Cranial Rectum inversion by:

(Classic View)
Start -&gt; Control Panel -&gt; Regional and Language Options -&gt; Customize -&gt; Time -&gt; Desired H: or HH:

This should get his head back on his shoulders in no time.

- - -
WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!? He's using Category View?
You're telling me he wasn't smart enought to:

Control Panel -&gt; Date, Time, Lanugage, and Regional Options -&gt; Change the format of the Numbers, Dates, and Times -&gt; (blah, blah, blah)
- - -

Either way, make sure to purchase a "I'm with Stupid" tee-shirt... I have a feeling you will be needing it for this friend... <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Military Time in XP