or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port

post #1 of 86
Thread Starter 
An image released on Saturday claims to show a slightly modified third-generation iPad with a Lightning connector port, possibly pointing to an imminent release of the rumored device as part of Apple's move to bring parity across its iDevice lineup.

It should be noted that the authenticity of the image cannot be confirmed and is thus provided for purposes of discussion only.

New iPad with Lightning
Source: Apple.pro.


The photo, posted to Apple.pro, shows a full-size iPad back case with a small dock hole seemingly meant to support Apple's proprietary Lightning connector, which was introduced with the iPhone 5 in September.

The supposedly new shell is shown resting atop the current iPad with 30-pin dock connector, illustrating the difference in size between the two cutouts.

Sitting on top of the purportedly refreshed case is a Lightning flex cable, in this case black, which appears to line up perfectly with the slot. It is unclear if the component will be used in the revamped iPad.

Apple is expected to bring Lightning connectivity to all of its iDevice products as they are refreshed, offering compatibility with upcoming accessories. The proprietary standard is seen as a long-term investment for the company, and is expected to have a lifetime of ten years, mirroring that of the legacy 30-pin dock connector.

It is unknown if and when Apple will release the slightly modified iPad, but it may take the opportunity to do so at a special event on Tuesday, where the company is widely expected to unveil the 7.85-inch "iPad mini."
post #2 of 86

Man, that's just stupid.

 

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…

post #3 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, that's just stupid.

 

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…

 

How so? Why not standardize the port as quickly as possible? Mid-cycle updates have occurred on other lines. Why not the iPad?
post #4 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, that's just stupid.

 

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…


I am a bit surprised by this ... Surely they will have a fair inventory of 30-pin iPads to unload? Will the price drop for those?

 

What's the rationale for rushing this "upgrade"? Is it because they want to stop stocking 30-pin cables asap?

 

 

.....

 

Upon further thinking, it's really damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. There are win-lose arguments regardless of upgrading now or later. So might as well bite the bullet now.

post #5 of 86
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
How so? Why not standardize the port as quickly as possible? Mid-cycle updates have occurred on other lines. Why not the iPad?

 

Because doing this won't do that! No one will be making any more Lighting crap any faster because of this. If they don't update the hardware, iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

 

And what "mid-cycle" updates?

post #6 of 86
Well now. I see we have tried to pawn off the concept of a so called "iPad Mini" as having the lighting connector. Why NOT!!! Why would a company that is a stickler for details relaese an old dock connector on a new device that is now the standard. I can't wait to see this uniot released. I plan to be watching the updates when the keynote is being performed. Yet one never knows what is gonna be presented.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #7 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And what "mid-cycle" updates?

I'm struggling to think of a precedent myself.

post #8 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Well now. I see we have tried to pawn off the concept of a so called "iPad Mini" as having the lighting connector.


We did? I had assumed all along it would be Lightning or nothing for the iPad Air.

post #9 of 86

Mid-cycle updates are very un-Apple like. What's so important that they couldn't have waited until the iPad 4?

 

I like the fact that most Apple products are on a yearly update schedule. It lets you time your purchases with precision and you don't end up getting screwed like the poor, unfortunate and miserable souls that live in Android land.

post #10 of 86
Anandtech detailed how they made a quiet update to the iPad 2 with the SoC processor. It allowed for better battery life - about 20% increase. So there is precedent for this. And no, they won't drop the price on the old dock connector units. What they have probably done in the last two -three weeks is draw down supply a bit to blunt the effect some but I don't see people turning away an old dock connector unit automatically. Particularly if they don't have an iPhone 5 and new dock connector anyway.
post #11 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153599/rumor-image-allegedly-shows-9-7-inch-ipad-with-lightning-port#post_2215644"]Mid-cycle updates are very un-Apple like. What's so important that they couldn't have waited until the iPad 4?

I like the fact that most Apple products are on a yearly update schedule. It lets you time your purchases with precision and you don't end up getting screwed like the poor, unfortunate and miserable souls that live in Android land.

It is unusual but so was the YoY thicker and heavier iDevice. Perhaps this is a way to correct that requirement to get the Retina display out or perhaps they'll jut market the longer battery life, or perhaps none of that but will have the new connector. The new connector after a decade is unprecedented, too. I can see why they might want to get that switched over as quickly as possible.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #12 of 86

Hmmm yeah it might just be a die shrink and lightning connector change? Maybe they except to keep the 3rd gen iPad going alongside the 4th gen next spring? It's peculiar for sure.... but only a few more days to find out what's going on.

post #13 of 86

I think this is excellent news. Clearly this means that they plan to continue selling the previous model at a discount after the new version comes out. The earlier thread that they would discontinue the iPad 2 as soon as the mini was released I thought was a bad idea. The large iPad is much better for reading textbooks, especially science topics which rely on side by side figures and illustrations with lengthy captions accompanying the body copy. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, that's just stupid.

 

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…

 

If true it sounds like a reasonable strategy to me.  Sooner is always better than later in terms of an absolute switch like that.  The only real control Apple has over the inconvenience of the switch is to make it go as fast as possible. To make the period wherein both connectors are in use as short as possible.  Drawing it out doesn't help anyone and just lengthens the agony.  

post #15 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Because doing this won't do that! No one will be making any more Lighting crap any faster because of this. If they don't update the hardware, iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

 

And what "mid-cycle" updates?

 

You are not making any sense, Tally !!  Doing this won't do what ??

 

Why will pre-Lightning purchasers be upset?  Has Apple ever said that they will update iPads after 12 months and not a day earlier?  Besides, this could turn out a minor update - just the connector and nothing else?  Not a big update.

 

Furthermore, Apple may have decided that refreshing the line of iPads just before Christmas is better for overall sales.

post #16 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

 

You are not making any sense, Tally !!  Doing this won't do what ??

 

Why will pre-Lightning purchasers be upset?  Has Apple ever said that they will update iPads after 12 months and not a day earlier?  Besides, this could turn out a minor update - just the connector and nothing else?  Not a big update.

 

Furthermore, Apple may have decided that refreshing the line of iPads just before Christmas is better for overall sales.

It needs to be a speed update, like A6 also. The new iPad is no faster than the iPad 2 because of the cycles needed to handle the retina display. A lightning connector only change will make little sense if the 2013 iPad version would be 3-4 months out after XMas. 

post #17 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswilson1 View Post

Anandtech detailed how they made a quiet update to the iPad 2 with the SoC processor. It allowed for better battery life - about 20% increase. So there is precedent for this. And no, they won't drop the price on the old dock connector units. What they have probably done in the last two -three weeks is draw down supply a bit to blunt the effect some but I don't see people turning away an old dock connector unit automatically. Particularly if they don't have an iPhone 5 and new dock connector anyway.

Not for an announced change. That was completely silent with no outward change to the device. Not even an alteration of the Spec Sheet to denote the increased battery life.


Edited by SolipsismX - 10/20/12 at 3:27pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #18 of 86

I so hope they refresh the 9.7" iPad soon. This gives Apple the chance to streamline the Lightning Connector to the new iPad, correct that heat issue nobody talks much about anymore and implement the new A6 chip all before the holiday season. Go Apple!

post #19 of 86
The photo looks fake. Look at the top unit's more acute corner compared to the lower unit's.
post #20 of 86
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Furthermore, Apple may have decided that refreshing the line of iPads just before Christmas is better for overall sales.

 

Moving to release their two best-selling products within weeks of one another doesn't seem like the best idea. Spread them out and you give customers time to buy one of each.

 

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
It needs to be a speed update, like A6 also.

 

Well, no, but…

 

The new iPad is no faster than the iPad 2 because of the cycles needed to handle the retina display.
 

Other than all the reviews and benchmarks that say otherwise. Graphics, sure, but not processing. For anything not a game, it's much faster.


Originally Posted by estolinski View Post
The photo looks fake. Look at the top unit's more acute corner compared to the lower unit's.
 

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

post #21 of 86
That photo looks shopped. But nice rumor.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

 

I was originally a Lightning port hater, until I got the iPhone 5, and now I love it.  I buy every iOS device on launch day, so yes, I have the iPad 3.  I have no problem either waiting until Spring and skipping the mid-cycle update, or more than likely I'll sell my iPad 3 and buy a iPad 3 with Lightning so that *I* can standardize on one iOS cable.  Plus, now that I have the iPhone 5, I find plugging in the iPad 3 to be way more cumbersome than I ever realized before.

 

The "iPad 4" could be nothing more than the iPad 3 with Lightning and I'll happily upgrade.  Throw in an enhanced A6, and I'm absolutely giddy about it.  Although, there is this weird mindset that if Apple releases something "not worth upgrading" that it pisses people off.  If it's not worth upgrading for someone, that person shouldn't mind, you know, not upgrading.  As long as Apple keeps ahead of the competition, all is good.

post #23 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Moving to release their two best-selling products within weeks of one another doesn't seem like the best idea. Spread them out and you give customers time to buy one of each.

 

 

Well, no, but…

 

Other than all the reviews and benchmarks that say otherwise. Graphics, sure, but not processing. For anything not a game, it's much faster.

 

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

who told that? who told that they won't update any product besides once in a year? for what? for costumers to only go to their store in september and april because they know when new products will arrive?

 

you are delusional.

 

they must do it when they can (another reason for the number after "iPad" being dropped).

 

besides, and a6x chip, igzo and thinner package makes sense right NOW, because they CAN.. especially because of all this win8 BS.

 

not only that, there's the new rogue in april.. that's another kick ass update.

post #24 of 86
We assume Apple will launch an iPad 4 (newer new iPad) in mid 2013, but there's possibility that they won't if the iPad gets a lightning connector and sharp's igzo displays next week. Apple is most likely launching their TV next year and doesn't want a new iPad released near it to divide attention and people's money.
Edited by Commodification - 10/21/12 at 7:59pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

 

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

 

1. They are being viewed from the same angle.

2. Light changes when passing through different media. 

 

The photo is fake. 

post #26 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

We assume Apple will launch an iPad 4 (newer new iPad) in mid 2013, but there's possibility that they won't if the iPad gets a lightning connector and sharp's izgo displays next week. Apple is most likely launching their TV next year and doesn't want a new iPad released near it to divide attention and people's money.

Some interesting possibilities. A chess game has lots of moves. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 86
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
who told that? who told that they won't update any product besides once in a year?

 

You're kidding, right? The fact that Apple hasn't updated any of their iDevices in a timeframe under 1 year in the last six years hasn't tipped you off to that?

 

they must do it when they can (another reason for the number after "iPad" being dropped).

 

Is this an explanation of something? If so, what?

 

besides, and a6x chip, igzo and thinner package makes sense right NOW…

 

Why? Can you explain that?

 

…because they CAN… 

 

Which goes against everything Apple has done. If they updated because they "could", we would have had Ivy Bridge iMacs in April.

 

…especially because of all this win8 BS.

 

Please do not tell me that you are honestly suggesting Apple is responding to that divebombing crap.

 

not only that, there's the new rogue in april.. that's another kick ass update.

 

The new what? 


Originally Posted by estolinski View Post
1. They are being viewed from the same angle.

 

Because THIS and THIS are the same angle?!

 

 

2. Light changes when passing through different media. 

 

So there's different air between the camera lens and each back case in the picture or something?

 

The photo is fake. 

 

Something's sure fake.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/20/12 at 5:14pm
post #28 of 86
Think bigger. Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas. What would better time to do this than alongside the iPad Mini debut? So 1 year they short cycle the product and create a late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter refresh cycle for both iPads, iPhone, IPod, MacBook, MacMini and iMac. To me this is very smart on their part.
post #29 of 86
Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post
Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas.

 

Why does there need to be an excuse for this? Should Apple update all products they sell once per year, simultaneously?

post #30 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post

Think bigger. Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas. What would better time to do this than alongside the iPad Mini debut? So 1 year they short cycle the product and create a late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter refresh cycle for both iPads, iPhone, IPod, MacBook, MacMini and iMac. To me this is very smart on their part.

Perhaps, but having everything come out within 2 months of each other every year seems like a poor business decision to me. You not only have ramp up issues across many devices but make it difficult for customers to choose between flagship devices if there are too many releases at the same time. On top of that, tech that makes up the components are not on the same cycle. For instance, the 32nm chips weren't ready for the iPad (3) but are ready now and the Rogue 6 GPUs might not be ready for the 4th gen iPad which could be an issue.

Personally, I do think this iPad "mini" is a reactionary release to get a cheaper tablet out for the holidays in order to keep their competitors from occupying the low-end of the market, even if it isn't very profitable. They are best to own it all like they did with the iPad, not like they do with the iPhone and Mac, despite making the most money of all vendors in all 4 categories.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #31 of 86

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil
 

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

 

You have no idea what you're saying. They are being viewed FROM the same angle. And light only changes when passing through different media. You're wrong. You worded your response all wrong. Get over it. 


Edited by estolinski - 10/20/12 at 5:37pm
post #32 of 86
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post
They are being FROM the same angle. And light only changes when passing through different media.

 

Right, yeah, I certainly can't move something and have the way light reflects off it change in any capacity, no, you're right, that doesn't happen to any material known to man.

 

 

You're wrong. You worded your response all wrong. Get over it. 
 

lol, irony.

post #33 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Right, yeah, I certainly can't move something and have the way light reflects off it change in any capacity, no, you're right, that doesn't happen to any material known to man.

 

 

You said they were being viewed from different angles. They are being viewed from the same angle. It is a photo. It is stationary. The angle does not change. 

post #34 of 86
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post
You said they were being viewed from different angles.

 

But you knew exactly what I meant, yes?

post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

But you knew exactly what I meant, yes?

 

I knew exactly what you wrote.

post #36 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

 

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

 

1. They are being viewed from the same angle.

2. Light changes when passing through different media. 

 

The photo is fake. 

 

But why would anyone need to fake that aspect of the photo? I would start with a real photo of two iPads, and then just alter the connector on the top one.

post #37 of 86

Full-sized iPad with Lightning Port.
 

The iPad is just a consumption device. Which consumes it’s competitors.
Reply
The iPad is just a consumption device. Which consumes it’s competitors.
Reply
post #38 of 86
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
I would start with a real photo of two iPads, and then just alter the connector on the top one.


Or, you know, just one. Much easier to fake that way.

post #39 of 86
And what "mid-cycle" updates?
[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
I'm struggling to think of a precedent myself.
[/quote]

I thought he might be referring to minor changes such as different RAM or hard drive options that occasionally occur on Mac's
between full "updates" or "refreshes".
post #40 of 86
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post
I thought he might be referring to minor changes such as different RAM or hard drive options that occasionally occur on Mac's
between full "updates" or "refreshes".

 

But when has that ever happened? If it did (and I think it may have), it would have been pre-2006.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port