or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung plans to terminate LCD supply contract with Apple

Samsung plans to terminate LCD supply contract with Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 162
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
They just spent $3.6 bil to build a fab in Austin for A5 that now has to find another purpose.

"NEW, INSPIRED BY SAMSUNG, THE S5 CHIP!"

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #82 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

They just spent $3.6 bil to build a fab in Austin for A5 that now has to find another purpose.

Samsung's had a huge semi manufacturing complex in Texas for almost two decades now.   so what's $3.6B got to do with this again?

Did Apple pay for this?

post #83 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm sure Sharp and LG send their thanks.

With slimmer profit margins.

Apple just got Samsunged.

Increased quality issues and yield issues is whats in store for Apple from now on.

Good luck. They are gonna need it.

LG has also said their profit margins from supplying components to Apple is hair thin.

Apple is the ultimate loser in this. No one wants to jump on board a customer who demands hair thin profit margins. Samsung, on the other hand, has its own division to feed its production. Also, they can offer a package deal to other OEMs with DRAM + NAND FLASH + SOC CHIP + DISPLAY all bundled into one at a comparatively lower price than if they had bought them seperately, something no other company can do.

Edited by Galbi - 10/22/12 at 10:16am

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #84 of 162

Good for Samesong. They'll be able to focus now on producing more crappy AMOLED displays.

post #85 of 162

Did she fall or was she pushed

bye bye

post #86 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Actually Apple has been moving orders away from Samsung throughout the year; from some 15 million down to just over 1 million. By Q1 2013, all their LCDs will be from other suppliers. Samsung "terminating" some contract they had with Apple is moot. Long term, this hurts Samsung more than Apple; they are losing their biggest customer.
Spot on!!
post #87 of 162

We all saw this coming. And I love how people are taking this as a LG bash cause of the recent display issue. Apparently you don't realize LG has been in apple laptops for a very long time. Apparently you also don't realize that samsung has had a tons of defective items go into apple over the years. I know, as I was a former tech. LG just put a bad flavor in peoples mouth of recent due to the recent mb air issue. Otherwise they can make and manufacture displays just as good as the competition.

This is in no way a big lose. Its good of Apple to separate themselves from a company that has always had questionable ethics and corruption.

post #88 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Samsung's had a huge semi manufacturing complex in Texas for almost two decades now.   so what's $3.6B got to do with this again?

Did Apple pay for this?

Samsung just last year spent $3.6 billion of the $42 billion you mentioned on a fab for Apple A5 chips.  Apple is moving A5 away from Samsung so this fab must find a new product to make.  Example of the price Samsung will pay for alienating Apple.

post #89 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is no way to use the in-store system to find out which display is in each box. The manufacturing system, yes, the sales system, no.

Yeah, you gotta love these concern trolls who just make shit up.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #90 of 162
Samsung is a parasite to Apple. So whatever short-term pain...... Apple will gladly endure.
post #91 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

However the consumer won't, Sharp and LG have been riddled with quality issues. There still are issues with LG's Retina display for the macbook. Samsung's have none. Every launch they've been there to pick up the slack. I'm all for getting away but it will be very interesting to see launches go moving forward. 

Agree.  Who's going to pick up the slack now?  I'm shock that Apple will start to use Sharp and LG quality LCD exclusively.  The Apple products with Samsung LCD will become treasured.

In addition, Sharp and LG will start to steal from Apple just like Samsung.  Then what?  Apple should start thinking about producing its own LCD in the U.S...

post #92 of 162

Who is to say Apple won't come up with something better than Retina display next? Samsung is biting the hands that feeds them by copying product design and then proceeds to burn the bridge. Do they think Amazon FireHD or any other tablet can compete with Apple right now in the mobile space? Don't let the door hit you on your way out Samsung!

post #93 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"NEW, INSPIRED BY SAMSUNG, THE S5 CHIP!"

ever heard of Exynos? 

post #94 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Apple owns specific patents relating to certain aspects of their displays, but you can't patent a display resolution or PPI number.  

As an aside, HTC is releasing a 5 inch 1080p display phone...  440 ppi...

Well, ... Apple also owns the very term "Retina Display" too, so in effect, they do own the Retina IP in that it's basically a marketing term.  

Samsung or anyone else can make screens of the same or higher resolution, but they can't refer to them as "Retina Displays."  

There will only ever be "Retina displays" from Apple.  

post #95 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Samsung is a parasite to Apple. So whatever short-term pain...... Apple will gladly endure.

Yup. Sorta like Google map.

post #96 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

In addition, Sharp and LG will start to steal from Apple just like Samsung.  

No they won't. Just because Samsung are dirty, lowlife thieves, you can't conclude that others are. And Apple has been doing business with those other companies for a long time. I'm not 100% certain about Sharp, but LG and Apple go way back.

post #97 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Increased quality issues and yield issues is whats in store for Apple from now on.

This is pure BS.  

What you are forgetting is that Apple has been dumping money by the bucketload on Sharp and Panasonic (but mostly Sharp) for years now, as has Apple's partner Foxconn who actually invested huge amounts in the company itself.  Sharp even announced last year that it was getting out of the midrange screen business and focussing on TV panels above 60" and small tablet and phone screens.  Both Sharp and Panasonic are going through contortions trying to get Apple's business and will give them a better price than Samsung for the same items.  

Sharp is also already *close* to being a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple and Foxconn, and probably will be wowing the entire market with those new IGZO screens this year or next which seem far and away better than anything Samsung makes already.  Apple will end up with yet another exclusive supplier giving them exclusive access to parts that no one else can get.  

post #98 of 162
Quote:

There is no way to use the in-store system to find out which display is in each box. The manufacturing system, yes, the sales system, no.

Yes there is. Most store managers won't admit to you such a system exists. Persistence matters in this case. I visited no less than 4 Apple stores in Houston complaining to the most senior manager on duty until I got my Samsung rMBP.

BTW, the only replacement display for a rMBP right now that exists in the system is 661-7171 and it's GUARANTEED to be a Samsung display.

post #99 of 162

You can't fire me.  I quit!

post #100 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

LG has also said their profit margins from supplying components to Apple is hair thin.

Apple is the ultimate loser in this. No one wants to jump on board a customer who demands hair thin profit margins. Samsung, on the other hand, has its own division to feed its production. Also, they can offer a package deal to other OEMs with DRAM + NAND FLASH + SOC CHIP + DISPLAY all bundled into one at a comparatively lower price than if they had bought them seperately, something no other company can do.

Thin margin X umpteen million = huge profit.

post #101 of 162

I have to disagree. I have purchased Macbook Pro Retina. It had a lot of the issues 

1. Dead pixels

2. Image retention

3. Color uniformity

This was really strange for me, since three years ago, it was LG that had best IPS display...

post #102 of 162

Hey look, the tool is back with more BS numbers just like the last thread.

Why are you comparing Apple's sales to all of Samsung Electronics when the component division makes up a much smaller piece of that pie?

Oh yeah, it's more spin so you can try to make Apple's dumping Samsung seem like a minor issue that Samsung will simply shrug off.

post #103 of 162
Quote:

*sigh*  Is that why Apple is buying $12B worth of components from Samsung, from $7+B last year?   because Apple has already moved most of their business away from Samsung?

tool's response to me from another thread when I talked about Apple's "reported" $9.7B contract for 2012.

"You are now essentially making sh*t up and cherry picking data to support your nonsensical fanboyism. So why cite/compare unconfirmed component contract figure for unfinished fiscal 2012 sales"

So you said my $9.7B number was BS because it was "unconfirmed" yet you use the "projected" number of $12B to try and prove a point in this thread? So are so full of BS it's not even funny. Did you think nobody would remember your previous posts and call you on it?

post #104 of 162

Build your own stuff Apple. Actually make something instead of just designing things. What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

post #105 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post

Quote:

Yes there is. Most store managers won't admit to you such a system exists. Persistence matters in this case. I visited no less than 4 Apple stores in Houston complaining to the most senior manager on duty until I got my Samsung rMBP.

BTW, the only replacement display for a rMBP right now that exists in the system is 661-7171 and it's GUARANTEED to be a Samsung display.

I was told the opposite when I asked the manager at my Apple Store. There is apparently another way to be guaranteed a Samsung LCD and that is to buy the top of the line model which is what I did.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #106 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Screw Samsung. I'd rather my stock took a short term hit because of supply issues rather than apple pay these scumbags another dime!

What about a long term hit?

post #107 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Until Moto or HTC or some other Android manufacturer creates the next "must have" Android phone -- then all of a sudden Samsung will have a mountain of displays and nobody to sell them to.  /thermonuclear 

The next must-have Android phone (or WinMo phone) will have a Samsung display, no matter whose name is on the phone, in that case.

post #108 of 162
Quote:

From what I understand Apple's investment in Samsung was pretty insignificant, $100M.   You have to remember that Samsung routinely spends billions to build / upgrade their manufacturing plants - or $41B in 2012 alone.

$41B? It's not quite that high.

post #109 of 162
*tiny violin for Samsung.

You don't give hundreds of millions of business to your supplier who's ripping you off.

They can keep selling their big ass phones.

Meanwhile, Sharp and LG will be thankful for the business.

Companies rise and fall. Those money grabbing 'quick buck' back stabbers are going to learn the hard way after messing wit teh Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #110 of 162

Just one look at the iPhone keynote introduction under Jobs showed the gulf between 'smart crap' phones as they were and the jesus iPhone.  Then the copy cats came.  Still pretending their iPhones.

The iPhone 5(!) is a class product.  Killer software with killer hardware.  And an unmatched ecosystem.  ...and stunning stores to sell the Apple experience.

Samsung and concrete boots comes to mind.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #111 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

What is Apple's and Samsung's contract? Can Samsung unilaterally breach the contract with Apple? Didn't Apple pour money into Samsung just so it could build Apple products? Depending on these answers, this action could the start of lawsuits of death between these companies.

Contracts like these have out clauses written into them.  Lawsuit not required.  Whatever the penalty is for exiting will be very clear.  But of course the public will never know what it was.

post #112 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Talk about biting off your nose to spite your face!!

It seems that correct usage of phrases like these really does help justify the money spent by some on education.

post #113 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Just as Apple have purchased a few companies to give them control over the design and fabrication of their CPUs, so they may have to purchase or take a controlling stake in a display vendor - and LG, whose handset division is having a hard time being taken seriously today, may be ideal. LG could also embed iOS into their TVs.
With flexible displays the next big thing, and Samsung already way ahead on this, if Apple are unable to source such technology, they must produce it using any 3rd party IP or their own ideas that don't breach any of Samsung's display patents.

Use Sony.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #114 of 162
The headline of this article has it backwards. Apple has dumped Samsung as a supplier. Since when does a supplier dump a customer? Samsung is simply announcing that Apple is in the process of reducing its purchases with a view toward eventually eliminating Samsung as a supplier altogether. The notion that the decision to do this was Samsung's is ludicrous.
post #115 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is pure BS.  

What you are forgetting is that Apple has been dumping money by the bucketload on Sharp and Panasonic (but mostly Sharp) for years now, as has Apple's partner Foxconn who actually invested huge amounts in the company itself.  Sharp even announced last year that it was getting out of the midrange screen business and focussing on TV panels above 60" and small tablet and phone screens.  Both Sharp and Panasonic are going through contortions trying to get Apple's business and will give them a better price than Samsung for the same items.  

Sharp is also already *close* to being a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple and Foxconn, and probably will be wowing the entire market with those new IGZO screens this year or next which seem far and away better than anything Samsung makes already.  Apple will end up with yet another exclusive supplier giving them exclusive access to parts that no one else can get.  
Well said!
post #116 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Build your own stuff Apple. Actually make something instead of just designing things. What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

Totally impractical, but doable. They'd have full QA control of the whole process start to finish. Also, definitely would cut down on all these leaks we've been seeing lately.

Does Apple actually manufacture anything themselves? Not trying to troll, I know that's pretty much the industry standard... just wondering.

I would gladly pay an extra 10% if their stuff said "Designed and Manufactured in California" on the back. Hell, they could even eat that 10% and still be the most profitable company in the world.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #117 of 162
In a way it's too bad because Samsung has been able to produce much better quality — LG displays that Apple funded — displays at greater yields. I hope quality doesn't go down with this transition.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #118 of 162
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

You can't throw money at a problem and expect it to go away. You can't actually expect "total" secrecy, or even anything better than what we have now, simply because it's somewhere else. Pre-release secrecy not only wouldn't stop product copying, it is neither the primary factor in the copying nor is it responsible for any meaningful portion of the stolen sales from said copying. No idea why that came up. 

US employees will leak more than anyone else. We actually care about Apple. Unless they move to fully automated factories with zero human intervention beyond highly-skilled workers designing and repairing the robots used to assemble the products, leaks will be as or more prevalent here as anywhere else.

post #119 of 162

One of the trade papers went a little further in explaining why Samsung won't be renewing the contract. They feel Apple's LCD business is no longer a cash-generator with the strict supply-chain stocking requirements Mr. Cook and company have in place, so it's not worth their while.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #120 of 162

First Samsung shoots itself in the foot, then amputates its own leg, LOL! 

Samsung sucks!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung plans to terminate LCD supply contract with Apple