or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US immigration agency buying $2.1M worth of iPhones in switch from BlackBerry

US immigration agency buying $2.1M worth of iPhones in switch from BlackBerry

post #1 of 39
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency will leave Research in Motion's BlackBerry and buy $2.1 million worth of iPhones.

ICE revealed in a solicitation document last week that it will buy iPhones for more than 17,600 employees, according to Reuters. The memo said that RIM's BlackBerry platform could "no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency."

The agency looked into both the iPhone and devices running Google's Android platform. Officials at ICE determined that Apple's ecosystem best suited their needs because of tight controls over the hardware platform and its operating system.

While the switch is yet another feather in the cap for Apple's iOS platform, it's also a major blow for RIM, which was once the de facto choice for government employees. That's changed as RIM has seen its share of the smartphone market slip away to Apple and Android.

iOS Enterprise

RIM's losses in government have continued for some time, as one report last year dubbed the trend of switching from BlackBerry to iPhone as "federal government 2.0." One study published by the Government Business Council earlier this year revealed that managers using BlackBerry devices had dropped from 77 percent in August of 2009 to less than 50 percent in September of 2011.

For now, RIM is attempting to hold on until the release of its new BlackBerry 10 platform, currently scheduled to launch in early 2013. The company has seen a shakeup at its executive level, and announced in May that it would cut 40 percent of its workforce.
post #2 of 39

"But iPhones can never be used in business! Businessmen would never buy anything but BlackBerry!"

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/22/12 at 1:03pm
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But iPhones can never be used in business! Businessmen would never buy anything but BlackBerry!"

But Android phones are WAY more secure than iPhones and blackberries.. oh wait... RIM has more secure phones than Android?? Damn... re-check!!  

post #4 of 39

I would have thought that Android would have been more compatible with their protocols. You know where they let anyone slip across the unprotected border and install themselves in our country, working under the table and paying no taxes.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 39

What does everyone expect.  It's US Immigration and they have lost the war on illegal Mexican immigrants so they are now turning their attention towards Canadian phones. 

post #6 of 39

About time.. RIM is dead and Android is about as secure as Microsoft.. soooo... 

post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

What does everyone expect.  It's US Immigration and they have lost the war on illegal Mexican immigrants so they are now turning their attention towards Canadian phones. 

LOL, It isn't just because iPhone is undoubtedlty more advance?

But but Android is more advance and it's OPEN. Yes you're right, it's open even on malwares.

post #8 of 39
Quote:

Remember when the original iPhone was introduced and the other manufacturers said that touchscreen phones would never succeed?

post #9 of 39

Knock another RIM strong hold down, I knew RIM would die, and figures it would be slow since it takes companies and government years to make up their mind to make a switch, but I did not figure it would happen this fast. The Government will not trust in Android since they will have to deal with multiply companies if hey buy into Android. The Government like one neck to grab if problems come up. RIM did it all so that worked for the government. In this case Apple does it all so that work for the Government.

post #10 of 39
Quote:

For now, RIM is attempting to hold on until the release of its new BlackBerry 10 platform, currently scheduled to launch in early 2013.

The words "RIM death spiral" come to mind here.  Would be surprised if RIM survives 2013.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #11 of 39
Good Grief! By the time RIM comes out with their killer smart phone and new OS will there be much businesses, if anybody, left to contemplate purchasing?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #12 of 39
They were on top because of messaging .They were destined to fall with almost zero innovation beyond their core appeal. Can't wait until they close up shop.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Good Grief! By the time RIM comes out with their killer smart phone and new OS will there be much businesses, if anybody, left to contemplate purchasing?!

It's a worry.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Aow that's a good one! Hurts even!

"...and it doesn't have a physical keyboard which means its not good for email"
- SB, 2007
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #15 of 39
The government wanted iPhones but is out of money. Fortunately they had all this extra cocaine laying around. The photo shows the actual iPhone transaction: 17,600 iPhones for 70 kilos of cocaine.

iPhone 6 development just shifted into very high gear.
post #16 of 39
Originally Posted by djacopille View Post
The government wanted iPhones but is out of money. Fortunately they had all this extra cocaine laying around. The photo shows the actual iPhone transaction: 17,600 iPhones for 70 kilos of cocaine.

What's Apple supposed to do with cocaine (here come the jokes)?

You mean "iPhone 5S", meaning 7. 😉

post #17 of 39
and the hits keep coming... pretty soon blackberries will only be eaten (the berry) and used (the device) in waterloo and Canada ...
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacopille View Post

Rim shot... bah-dum-bah...
post #19 of 39
Quote:

You do know that quote started around the first iphone. That was an entirely different product.

post #20 of 39
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
You do know that quote started around the first iphone. That was an entirely different product.

How's it "entirely different"? And when did it stop being "entirely different"?

post #21 of 39

I was over on the crackberry forum recently, just lurking and reading for a few minutes, because I take great joy in the misery of other people, and I have to say that some of those people are truly sad, bordering on mentally insane. It was truly comical to see how a group of people could be so blind to reality. 

post #22 of 39
Wow! The Police of Puerto Rico gets on the iPhone news%u2026. Love it!
post #23 of 39

Big surprise.  A US agency switching to an American brand...  

By the way, take Android, remove the Play Store, add a government - approved app store (or pre-loaded apps only), and bam, Android is as secure as iOS or BB10.  

OS security, whether iOS, OSX, Linux, Windows, QNX, etc..., depends on user practices.  Any of them can be made safe or unsafe.  

post #24 of 39
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
Big surprise.  A US agency switching to an American brand...  

That's racism, according to some. "Big surprise" nothing.

post #25 of 39
Quote:

Canadian is a race? lol.gif

On the crackberry forum that I visited, a few people there actually cite RIM being Canadian as a reason why Blackberry is better than iPhone. What a bunch of morons. I've said it before, but RIM should go into the maple syrup business or something, they might have better luck with that.

post #26 of 39
Quote:

I wasn't aware Canadians and Americans were a different race....  

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Canadian is a race? lol.gif

On the crackberry forum that I visited, a few people there actually cite RIM being Canadian as a reason why Blackberry is better than iPhone. What a bunch of morons. I've said it before, but RIM should go into the maple syrup business or something, they might have better luck with that.

As a Canadian, I can say most of our corporations are 

a) Behind the times

b) In self-denial

c) Technologically challenged

d) Too conservative

Canadian corporate culture is one of 'playing it safe' and never doing anything remotely innovative, different, or ambitious.  

post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I would have thought that Android would have been more compatible with their protocols. You know where they let anyone slip across the unprotected border and install themselves in our country, working under the table and paying no taxes.
LOL!!
post #29 of 39
I wasn't aware Canadians and Americans were a different race....  

Nor was I that "South Korean" is one at all. We don't see every country moving away from Windows to local software, do we? They're moving to Apple, another US company, if at all.

It's a case of going to what is best at any given time, not national favoritism.

post #30 of 39
Quote:

Nor was I that "South Korean" is one at all. We don't see every country moving away from Windows to local software, do we? They're moving to Apple, another US company, if at all.

It's a case of going to what is best at any given time, not national favoritism.

Actually alot of foreign governments have moved to localized versions of Linux.  I can't think of any governments that use Apple computers, do you know of any?

What on earth do South Koreans have to do with this?  

And if you don't think the American government engages in tariffs and protectionist policies, you either don't read the news or are blind...  

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

How can it be an entirely different product and yet year after year I keep reading how Apple done nothing innovative since the original iPhone. Let's remember that the iPhone was a failure because it didn't have a removable battery or physical keyboard.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #32 of 39
1% more revenue for 1 day on iPhones for Apple.
post #33 of 39
Blackberry getting RIM-jobbed.
post #34 of 39
Quote:

As a Canadian, I can say most of our corporations are 

a) Behind the times

b) In self-denial

c) Technologically challenged

d) Too conservative

Canadian corporate culture is one of 'playing it safe' and never doing anything remotely innovative, different, or ambitious.  

Which works great for banking.

Not for tech.

FYI, those who made the most money trading AAPL?  Canadian banks.

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Remember when the original iPhone was introduced and the other manufacturers said that touchscreen phones would never succeed?

... at night.

... at night.

post #36 of 39

Once again Apple comes to the aid of TRUTH, JUSTICE, and the AMERICAN WAY.....

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 39

To clarify, ICE is not an "Immigration Agency", but actually a bureau within DHS, that is the second largest federal law enforcement agency who's subcomponent HSI (Homeland Security Investigations) works everything from drugs, IPR, child exploitation, immigration, and terrorism.

This is a victory for Apple.  Also, no mention in the article, but ATF has already transitioned to the iPhone from the BlackBerry.

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How can it be an entirely different product and yet year after year I keep reading how Apple done nothing innovative since the original iPhone. Let's remember that the iPhone was a failure because it didn't have a removable battery or physical keyboard.

I thought the original was more difficult to text on quickly than one with a physical keyboard, but the newer models are nothing like that. I've never made those "innovative" comments you mentioned. I dislike the word due to how it's used on these forums.

Quote:

How's it "entirely different"? And when did it stop being "entirely different"?

They added a lot of features. Apps added in further functionality. They would have had time to test things like security features. Five years is quite a long time when it comes to phones, assuming we're looking at comparable unsubsidized price points.

post #39 of 39

I think employees probably got tired of carrying around 2 phones.  The Blackberry they are forced to use and the iPhone they want to use.  Seriously every person I know that has Blackberry at work has an iPhone they carry at the same time.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • US immigration agency buying $2.1M worth of iPhones in switch from BlackBerry
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US immigration agency buying $2.1M worth of iPhones in switch from BlackBerry