or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Images of alleged 'iPad 4' screen show larger hole for FaceTime camera

Images of alleged 'iPad 4' screen show larger hole for FaceTime camera

post #1 of 39
Coming just hours ahead of a special event at which Apple is expected to unveil a 7.85-inch "iPad mini," photos show what is claimed to be the screen of an as-yet-unannounced full-size iPad, revealing a larger hole for the front-facing camera.

iPad Screen Assembly
Source: Apple.pro via BGR

The images come from Apple.pro (via BGR), with the source claiming to have obtained the front assembly for what it calls the "iPad 4," which purportedly boasts an optically-bonded display and enlarged FaceTime camera.

AppleInsider cannot verify the legitimacy of the images, and offers the information below for purposes of discussion only.

Comparing the current third-generation iPad's dipsly assembly with that of the reportedly revamped version, the most glaring difference is the size of the cutout meant to house the front-facing camera. This could suggest a larger sensor will be implemented in an upcoming iteration of Apple's 9.7-inch iPad, a space for enhanced optics, or both.

It should be noted that the current iPad's FaceTime camera is a 0.3-megapixel unit, while the recently released iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod touch use a 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD component.

In addition to the possible FaceTime sensor change, the source said the display will be optically bonded to the front glass, akin to the technology used in Microsoft's Surface tablet, which will reduce glare and slim down the overall size of the device.

iPad Optical Bonding

It is not clear if the reportedly leaked part is bound for a fourth-generation iPad or a rumored refresh of the current-generation tablet that could bring Lightning connectivity, updated internals and wider 4G LTE support as seen in the iPhone 5.

Apple is expected to unveil the so-called "iPad mini" at a special event tomorrow, possibly alongside a tweaked third-generation iPad.
post #2 of 39

If this is true, it makes sense that the front-facing camera on a tablet should be a very good one because of teleconferencing applications.

post #3 of 39
If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad, I'm gonna be really pissed.
post #4 of 39
If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad. I'm gonna be really happy!
post #5 of 39
Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

Whyzzat?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 39
Quote:

Not This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Caterina View Post

This

I don't care that much- I'd love the mini and to get rid of my iPad 2, so a new full-sized iPad means nothing to me personally, but it would be hilarious if it happened just before the Surface is released.  They are biting their nails over at MS about this announcement tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a Retina iPad 4 w/ A6X (or something with the graphical oomph to push out the pixels) and better components all the way around- better cameras, dual band wifi, lightning, better 4G, better LED, thinner/lighter, aluminum look (just like the gorgeous iPhone)- etc.  Oooh... one can hope.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not This

This

I don't care that much- I'd love the mini and to get rid of my iPad 2, so a new full-sized iPad means nothing to me personally, but it would be hilarious if it happened just before the Surface is released.  They are biting their nails over at MS about this announcement tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a Retina iPad 4 w/ A6X (or something with the graphical oomph to push out the pixels) and better components all the way around- better cameras, dual band wifi, lightning, better 4G, better LED, thinner/lighter, aluminum look (just like the gorgeous iPhone)- etc.  Oooh... one can hope.

It would be cool & surprising if Apple did release the iPad 4 tomorrow. If they did that, what the hell are they going to do for the spring keynote?

post #8 of 39
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post
It would be cool & surprising if Apple did release the iPad 4 tomorrow. If they did that, what the hell are they going to do for the spring keynote?

In that scenario, what spring keynote? There's no reason to have one otherwise. These aren't government holidays; they're not set, expected, or assumed if a product is moved.

post #9 of 39
Quote:

Seconded as an owner of the "new ipad". It does not make my device any less useful (and in fact, by strengthening Apple's position in the market it makes it more useful by encouraging even more devs to develop for the ipad).

I am very happy with the ipad I own and will be happier if I know Apple is improving them even faster than earlier which will mean my next ipad purchase will be even better than it would have been otherwise.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In that scenario, what spring keynote? There's no reason to have one otherwise. These aren't government holidays; they're not set, expected, or assumed if a product is moved.

I think Apple will move to an Intel like tick-tock strategy. Major improvements to the ipad every spring with minor feature adds in the fall. Same with the iPhone. Major features in fall, with minor adds in the spring. This will help them compete better with the competition which and better combat the drop off in sales in the quarter prior to a new release.
post #11 of 39

It would make my day to see the Surface behind the spec curve before it is even released. Go Apple!!!

Once more MS skates to where the puck used to be...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #12 of 39
Holy iPad!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 39
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
I think Apple will move to an Intel like tick-tock strategy. Major improvements to the ipad every spring with minor feature adds in the fall. Same with the iPhone.

Is there any evidence to suggest having a twice yearly iPad would be a good idea? It sells ludicrously well even 11 months later.

And the iPhone? REALLY?

post #14 of 39

When does the spec war end? Just like desktops and laptops the speed of the cpu will eventually become a minor selling point as all devices will be fast enough, Then it is a matter of mind share as to which platform has the better features and usability /ecosystem. So far Apple has the advantage.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 39
Quote:

Now that you brought it up, maybe Apple events should be government holidays. 1biggrin.gif

post #16 of 39
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Then it is a matter of mind share as to which platform has the better features and usability /ecosystem. So far Apple has the advantage.

And is it looking like anyone else is going to beat them anytime soon? lol.gif

post #17 of 39

Well if there's a 4th gen iPad announced tomorrow I'll just upgraded and enjoy it, no big deal since I've owned my 3rd gen since launch. If they do that I suppose it's more likely that the iPad mini will have an A6 as well perhaps? It's sorta like the old feeling of guessing what Santa is going to bring you for Christmas in a way. Just... you're the one buying the gifts for yourself.

post #18 of 39
Quote:
Or

Now that you brought it up, maybe Apple events should be government holidays. 1biggrin.gif

Yep I'm taking the morning off tomorrow.

post #19 of 39
Quote:

And is it looking like anyone else is going to beat them anytime soon? lol.gif

I still wouldn't underestimate or count out MS Surface.  There are a lot of people out there that want a mobile device that can run tablet apps and Office.  Just to give you an example of the the potential here's ground-up rewrite of Skype for Windows RT / Windows 8.  It's written as a Metro app;

http://bgr.com/gallery/skype-windows-8/

It looks very nice.  If developers can crank out Metro apps that are that level of quality then MS Surface can be successful.

post #20 of 39
Maybe Apple has a new device on the way (not a tv, something else). This may cause the iPad to move to fall and this new device will be in spring.
post #21 of 39
Quote:

What, you are not happy with your New iPad?

I am very satisfied with most elements of the new iPad and so what if a new one comes out that is a bit better, it was going to happen sometime. I get it that is nice to have a new and shiny thing but just because a new model comes out, what does it really matter?

On the front facing camera, yes I can see that as being an improvement worth making. The current camera is functional but the colours are way off, everything has a yellowish tinge. In fact the camera on my sons touch mk4 is considerably better in real world use.

post #22 of 39
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
…not a tv…

I love you.

…something else.

Oh what fun it is to speculate… What relevant markets haven't they utterly destroyed yet?

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Maybe Apple has a new device on the way (not a tv, something else). This may cause the iPad to move to fall and this new device will be in spring.

Maybe.

post #24 of 39
Hmm I just read another rumor claiming a "trusted source" says that the ONLY thing Apple will be announcing tomorrow is a smaller iPad.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm I just read another rumor claiming a "trusted source" says that the ONLY thing Apple will be announcing tomorrow is a smaller iPad.

where'd you read that?

post #26 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

With all the rumors of an iPad Mini, and now this and one other rumor/leak of purported iPad 4 parts/features, it's quite possible Apple may be moving the annual update schedule of the iPad "Line" to Fall instead of Spring.  This happened with the iPhone 4s if you recall.  It went from a June release to an October release.  This (i believe) might have been to move the premier product (iPad) to the Spring/summer slot.  It seems Apple likes to have product releases all year-round to keep the money flowing and not a roller-coaster.

iPad/Apple TV = Spring

Macs=Summer

iPhone/iPods=Fall

If they move all the iPad annual updates to Fall instead of Spring, that begs the question of, "what will the Spring product be?" and "what will this January's typical Keynote feature?  All that's left from the Above list is the Apple TV.  Could this January bring us a truly updated Apple TV?  Maybe not in the way everyone wants, but it's possible we see an update to something related to hardware and OS.

Although I have touted in the past that we may not see an iPad mini until Spring (since Apple proved the Rumor-Mills wrong with the Gen 1 iPad release), I'm slowly starting to think that with all these photo leaks might be true about a Fall iPad 4 and iPad Mini release.

See, the Rumor-Mills (i.e. the Marketing/Tech Analysts) seem consistently wrong about releases and numbers...whereas, the Rumored "leaked photos" seem consistently are right about the items being released.

Personally, I've been thinking about updating my iPad 2 to the next model, however the weight of the current iPad is so heavy that I decided to wait and see if they improve the mass in further updates before I upgrade.  I really have no real problem with my screen resolution and I'd rather have a lighter, bigger iPad than a heavier one.  The iPad Mini would be pointless for someone like me because I already have an iPhone and an iPad.  Since this Rumored iPad mini won't be small enough to comfortably put in my pants/coat pockets and will not have calling abilities...and the fact that if I'm going to need a bigger device, I will already be carrying a backpack or messenger bag, there's no need for smaller form factor.  I think the current iPad 9.7" is too small as it is, but I wouldn't want a heavier one just for a bigger screen.

post #27 of 39
Quote:

I still wouldn't underestimate or count out MS Surface.  There are a lot of people out there that want a mobile device that can run tablet apps and Office.  Just to give you an example of the the potential here's ground-up rewrite of Skype for Windows RT / Windows 8.  It's written as a Metro app;

http://bgr.com/gallery/skype-windows-8/

It looks very nice.  If developers can crank out Metro apps that are that level of quality then MS Surface can be successful.

Seeing that Skype is owned by microsoft this is not a great example of developer adoption. I am sure it will have its share of followers but I doubt that it will eat into apple or even androids market share - probably mostly their own laptop share.

post #28 of 39
Quote:

where'd you read that?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPad-Mini-Tuesday-iOS-Nexus-10-MacBook,18631.html
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post

Seeing that Skype is owned by microsoft this is not a great example of developer adoption. I am sure it will have its share of followers but I doubt that it will eat into apple or even androids market share - probably mostly their own laptop share.

If you include all devices (smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, notebooks, desktops, etc.), here is what Forrester predicts will be market share spread by 2016;

Apple - 25%

MS - 30%

Google - 40%

Other - 5%

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/commentary/embracing-heterogeneous-future-144589

post #30 of 39

It looks like Forrester doesn't have faith in the new iPad Mini for the future.

post #31 of 39
If iPad4 comes tomorrow (later today? ) it will be a sign that Apple is making good on its promise not to loose this market to anyone. IPad4 would set MS behind another couple of years and. Would make any significant market share gains on MS part very difficult.

Besides that I suspect Apple needs the so called spring slot for a new product.
post #32 of 39

Apple's iPad needs to crush the ZunePad RT before it gains even a tiny foothold of consumer interest.  It will be good payback for all of Apple's lean years when Microsoft hogged everything in sight.  What goes around, comes around.  Wall Street needs to be convinced that Apple will secure major tablet market share over both Windows and Android tablets.  Wall Street believes that Apple will lose both smartphone and tablet market share to Windows and Android and it really doesn't make much sense why WS is so sure it's going to turn out that way.  Apple needs to blast both Google and Microsoft back into the Stone Age.

post #33 of 39
Quote:

I love you.

Oh what fun it is to speculate… What relevant markets haven't they utterly destroyed yet?

A completely revamped Mac Pro would be one item for spring. I'd like to see Apple get into domestic robots actually, though I think the technology has a ways to go. Apple execs to get far more serious with AppleTV, it could be a far more useful box with the right features. Though a big jump I'd like to see Apple get into instrumentation and give Agilent a run for the money, the idea being to add iOS to these sorts of products. ICar, the Apple electric car. ICamera, a pro level digital camera based on iOS. INuke an Apple designed personal nuclear fusion device for home power (maybe suitable for iCar too). Siri for the Mac. Mac AIRs with cellular data.

The list goes on! The problem for Apple is just focusing on something new that will generate realistic growth. There are lots of ideas that have potential though. I do think though that Apple is about to open that winter / early spring slot for something other than iPad.
post #34 of 39
Would be funny as hell if it's a 10.6" model
post #35 of 39
Yay... I would be happy too even though I already have an iPad 3rd gen. (and iPhone 5). Maybe I could sell my iPad 1st and 3rd gen. and my iPhone 4S much quicker than expected to buy an iPad Mini and 4th gen. for size and spec respectively. Yayy...
post #36 of 39
Will be interesting if they release an updated iPad this early.. More akin to what they do with their computers, quiet to mid sized periodic updates rather than strictly once a year. They've already questionably dropped the '3' from this gen's title, so maybe they do want to roll these out with more iterative updates not deserving such bold titles as ipad4 ipad5 etc. Personally I like the model numbers, its much stronger device branding in a market that advances so quickly.
post #37 of 39
Quote:

the same one with the new rogue GPU, right? that thing is a monster.

post #38 of 39
Quote:

Ah, you'll survive.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #39 of 39
I'm glad to see others here would be chuffed about an upgraded iPad (3) being announced together with the iPad mini too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Images of alleged 'iPad 4' screen show larger hole for FaceTime camera