or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins iPad 2 design patent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wins iPad 2 design patent

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday was awarded a patent for the iPad 2, protecting the second-generation tablet's iconic tapered edges and thin-and-light design.

iPad 2
Source: USPTO


The patent, granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, was filed for two months before the tablet was unveiled in 2011, and cites patent documents as far back as 1947.

iPad 2 Back
Illustration of iPad 2's rear casing.


Apple's iPad 2 was somewhat of a departure from the original iPad, and boasted a thinner design, thinner side aluminum sidewalls and two cameras. Of particular interest to the patent filers were the raked corners, a variation of the comparably flat first-generation iPad which had corners and sides that ended abruptly at almost a right angle.

iPad 2 Corners
Illustration of iPad 2's sweeping corners.


Tuesday's patent comes one week after Apple was granted a patent covering the design of the original iPad in 2010.

Among the credited inventors are Apple Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jony Ive and veteran designer Christopher Stringer, who was called upon during the Apple v. Samsung trial to describe the company's various tablet and smartphone designs.
post #2 of 22
" ...and thin-and-light design"

I didn't think it was possible to patent 'thin' or 'light'. So that means no one can make a tablet as light as Apple's or is it like a Merchant of Venice thing where Apple has to specify an exact weight which is patented. Or has Apple patented a range of weights.

Does the patent also specify the precise 'thinness' which Apple has patented.
post #3 of 22
Apple seems to be really going for it in terms of applying for patents, and they are getting them too. It's important, of course, for a company to protect their intellectual property, so I'm not against that principle. But, I can't help wondering what will happen when Apple gets so many patents, especially design patents, that the competition will have a really hard time bringing out their own tablets, without them looking awful or being impractical. Now, Apple is leading the pack with the iPad, but I hope they will not be the only company that can make great tablets. In this case, the raked corners sound plausible, but tapered edges and a slim design? Hmm. And how does a company who is trying to create a tablet (or a court) determine how close their design is to Apple's patent design. Furthermore, how does the US Patent and Trademark decide if a product can be granted a design patent. It seems that, currently, for technological products such as tablets and smart phones, we are in a terrible patent war and companies are aiming to get as much ammunition or defenses as possible. If this continues, it will really stifle competition and companies are going to have a really hard time trying to create new products that don't infringe on some patent owned by somebody else. I hope Microsoft with Surface, and Samsung with their Galaxy note or Tab, for example, can continue making tablets, and other companies too. In addition, a monopoly is not what the consumer wants probably, and competition creates better products and prices, right? I wonder what the future will hold.
post #4 of 22
Congratulations for another patent, Apple! Too bad you cannot enforce it.

The US patent system is so f**ked up it boggles the mind.

There is zero chance that Apple can successfully prosecute this patent against anyone, even though it is totally obvious to the most casual observer that the rest of the tech industry is blatantly copying the iPad, iPhone, and Mac designs on an ongoing basis.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

" ...and thin-and-light design"
I didn't think it was possible to patent 'thin' or 'light'. So that means no one can make a tablet as light as Apple's or is it like a Merchant of Venice thing where Apple has to specify an exact weight which is patented. Or has Apple patented a range of weights.
Does the patent also specify the precise 'thinness' which Apple has patented.

No, you cannot patent "thin and light". Nor has Apple been specific on size, weight or any other limiting measurement. Nor does Apple claim this to be the specific iPad2 design AFAIK. A cursory look at the images shows that it might exactly match the iPad2, but note that dotted lines are not part of the claims unless specified otherwise. They are simply there to aid in understanding the overall design, but not essential to or included in the design patent. Apple generally tries to be as non-specific as the patent office examiner will allow. I suspect that's why some of Apple's patents seem to take some time to reach approval, with quite a bit of communication (negotiation) going back and forth with the PTSO to determine what will pass and what won't.  

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S View Post

Congratulations for another patent, Apple! Too bad you cannot enforce it.
The US patent system is so f**ked up it boggles the mind.
There is zero chance that Apple can successfully prosecute this patent against anyone, even though it is totally obvious to the most casual observer that the rest of the tech industry is blatantly copying the iPad, iPhone, and Mac designs on an ongoing basis.

This all made me thing about car designs. Yesterday I parked next to a Nissan Murano then took a second look. It had a Kia badge on the back! It is astounding how many designs by other car companies Kia has blatantly copied it its rise to success and I've not read of any law suits, if I missed them please enlighten me. What is it with Korean companies?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

" ...and thin-and-light design"
I didn't think it was possible to patent 'thin' or 'light'.

Those are AppleInsider's words. They are not in the patent.

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post

Apple seems to be really going for it in terms of applying for patents, and they are getting them too. It's important, of course, for a company to protect their intellectual property, so I'm not against that principle. But, I can't help wondering what will happen when Apple gets so many patents, especially design patents, that the competition will have a really hard time bringing out their own tablets, without them looking awful or being impractical. Now, Apple is leading the pack with the iPad, but I hope they will not be the only company that can make great tablets. In this case, the raked corners sound plausible, but tapered edges and a slim design? Hmm. And how does a company who is trying to create a tablet (or a court) determine how close their design is to Apple's patent design. Furthermore, how does the US Patent and Trademark decide if a product can be granted a design patent. It seems that, currently, for technological products such as tablets and smart phones, we are in a terrible patent war and companies are aiming to get as much ammunition or defenses as possible. If this continues, it will really stifle competition and companies are going to have a really hard time trying to create new products that don't infringe on some patent owned by somebody else. I hope Microsoft with Surface, and Samsung with their Galaxy note or Tab, for example, can continue making tablets, and other companies too. In addition, a monopoly is not what the consumer wants probably, and competition creates better products and prices, right? I wonder what the future will hold.

samsung has like 5000 patents per year, right behind IBM. apple is not the problem.

post #9 of 22

Patent tapered edges, aluminum back and thin and light design?  The patent system seems pretty far out of whack.

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post

Apple seems to be really going for it in terms of applying for patents, and they are getting them too. It's important, of course, for a company to protect their intellectual property, so I'm not against that principle. But, I can't help wondering what will happen when Apple gets so many patents, especially design patents, that the competition will have a really hard time bringing out their own tablets, without them looking awful or being impractical.

Not really Apple's problem.

That said, folks will challenge this design patent and it could be invalidated. So the game isn't over yet

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

samsung has like 5000 patents per year, right behind IBM. apple is not the problem.

Worse is that many of Samsung's patents are SEP and yet they try to deny licenses, charge outrageous amounts, demand non SEP in exchange and even double dip exhausted patents

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #12 of 22

This is nonsense....

 

This proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the patent system is completely broken......

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Patent tapered edges, aluminum back and thin and light design?  The patent system seems pretty far out of whack.

As do your deductive reasoning skills.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S View Post

Congratulations for another patent, Apple! Too bad you cannot enforce it.
The US patent system is so f**ked up it boggles the mind.
There is zero chance that Apple can successfully prosecute this patent against anyone, even though it is totally obvious to the most casual observer that the rest of the tech industry is blatantly copying the iPad, iPhone, and Mac designs on an ongoing basis.

 

C'mon. Google will simply tell Congress that "thin and light" is standards essential after the fact.

 

And according to Samsung's layers, there's no "blatantly copying the iPad, iPhone designs on an ongoing basis how dare you mr. biased jury foreman"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #15 of 22
Originally Posted by Patrick_S View Post
The US patent system is so f**ked up it boggles the mind.
Originally Posted by sranger View Post
This proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the patent system is completely broken......
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post
The patent system seems pretty far out of whack.

 

Thanks for destroying your credibility early.

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thanks for destroying your credibility early.

Why?

 

Because I have an opinion?

post #17 of 22
Originally Posted by sranger View Post
Why?

 

Because I have an opinion?

 

Because you have an opinion backed by… nothing whatsoever, and because it falls in line with a common theme of 'opinions' stated to detract from Apple.

post #18 of 22

You and me Apple; We are taking over the world!

Oh - you have. Silly me.

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thanks for destroying your credibility early.

Interesting you put Patrick_S comments in your reply, when it clear he was supporting Apple and stating, how long it takes to get a patent approved. or is there some hidden meaning in his words?

his last sentence was clear, he is support of Apple, so I would not say he has lose any credibility at all.

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post

I can't help wondering what will happen when Apple gets so many patents, especially design patents, that the competition will have a really hard time bringing out their own tablets, without them looking awful or being impractical.

They already look that way, with or without patents granted to Apple.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #21 of 22
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
Interesting you put Patrick_S comments in your reply, when it clear he was supporting Apple and stating, how long it takes to get a patent approved. or is there some hidden meaning in his words?

 

He still said what he said, implying that the system itself is inherently flawed. It isn't, but I definitely agree that the timing is all off. 

 

When you see these court cases that take years to even get before a judge, you don't say the justice system is flawed. The justice system is pretty great; the sheer number of cases forces it to move far more slowly than is acceptable, is all. Same with patents.

post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

He still said what he said, implying that the system itself is inherently flawed. It isn't, but I definitely agree that the timing is all off. 

 

When you see these court cases that take years to even get before a judge, you don't say the justice system is flawed. The justice system is pretty great; the sheer number of cases forces it to move far more slowly than is acceptable, is all. Same with patents.

But that his opinion and yours and both of you are not right or wrong, since both of you can not prove using factual data. I do believe the justice system requires improvement, since you have different decisions across different countries for the same issues being reviewed by the legal system. I understand that you probably only talking about US justice system, but this patient wars has gone global and we need to have common set of laws for majority of countries. Unfortunately that will never happen because of egos.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins iPad 2 design patent