or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's redesigned iMac is 5mm thin with edge-to-edge glass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's redesigned iMac is 5mm thin with edge-to-edge glass - Page 4

post #121 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

One benefit is that it looks a lot nicer on your desk. The other is that it will sell a lot more if it looks nice. By the way you are talking I am not sure you remember what computers looked like 15 years ago. Hideous. Most people take pleasure in using a beautifully piece of equipment. Most people like their offices and homes to look nice. As long as the new iMac is as good, or better than its predecessor it's a win win. Remember that design can never stay still - if it does it moves backwards. That applies to 'looks' as much as technological design / development.
So when you say you are diverging, do you mean to say that you'd be happy with a souped up Quadra and lots of cables and ports as long as you have a big monitor?


I'm with you completely. I love the thinness around the edge. Hopefully it's just as fat or fatter in the middle where no one sees.

The no optical drive means nothing to me- I've had to burn a DVD for 2 bids in 3 years- I can plug something in a USB. Now my wife, on the otherhand, has to burn 2-3+ DVDs a week for her photo shoots. So that's a little tougher. I'll wait for our home upgrade for sure. Not sure how else to give someone 30+ raw pictures (or hundreds and hundreds for a wedding). I guess USB? Fine for expensive weddings but not $150 senior pics. USB DVD burner in the future here we come. 1smile.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #122 of 187
Where did the computer go?
post #123 of 187
At 40% less volume I was afraid they'd lose the desktop-class Core processors but based on the speeds it looks like that isn't the case. I can't wait to see how they did it. That plug in the back means the PSU is internal so that's isn't it. Sure, the ODD is gone but that doesn't account for 40%.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #124 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Very nice machine, but marketing pictures are little misrepresenting the true thickness.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apples-new-imac-thicker-than-it-seems

I actually believed that it was 5mm thick throughout the machine, since unable to watch the launch presentation. Little disappointed that it is not and other people will be, once they see the machine in-store.

Maybe old fashioned and just like pure honesty.

"We all get thicker in the middle as we age"

 

 - quote Fastflyer

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #125 of 187
UHHHHHH, no audio input is a deal-breaker. What the hell?
post #126 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stageron View Post

Has anyone noticed that Apple is now using 5400 RPM drives. WTF! Really? This sucks.

Yes, in the 21.5 model only.  Most likely because it is a 2.5 laptop drive because they made a DESKTOP machine so damn thin for no reason.  The 27 model is bigger and fatter, so they squeezed in a standard 3.5 7200 RPM drive.  Also, hop over to Apple's website and the 21.5 model does not have user upgradable RAM, only the 27" offers that.

post #127 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

 

Probably not the only person, but for most of us a DVD drive is totally useless. Its so much easier to share video over the web and 4 gigs of optical storage is a joke by todays standards, not to mention the low durability of optical media in general.

You are so full of BS.  You are so clueless that you don't even realize that the optical drive is dual layer, so you can store 8 GB of data on a DVD.  Low durability?  Where is your evidence to prove that?  I have CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that are over 10 years old and in perfect condition, just like the data stored on them.  Just because you drink the Apple Kool-Aid, doesn't mean everyone else in the world thinks the removal of an optical drive in a DESKTOP computer is a wise choice.  Apple has never been about clutter and external parts...but now they are because they want you to spend $1299 to $1999 and not even get an optical drive that is not considered obsolete.  You will look like a dork when someone has a music CD and you can't even rip it to iTunes because your $2,000 iMac didn't come with one.  Go buy Adobe's Creative Suite and try and install it on your new iMac...oh, you can't.  Apple removed the disc drive.  That's why my May 2011 iMac just became more valuable.  Oh, the SD card slot on the back of the iMac is another retarded move.  The side was the perfect location.

post #128 of 187
I cant wait.. will be ordering mine sometime in January.. cant wait!!!!
post #129 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you are swapping cards out often I'd think you'd have an external USB card reader for that.

 

SERIOUSLY?! What you just said is that a feature of the machine isn't really meant to be *used* very much, and if you're actually going to *use* it, then the feature isn't really of any use to you.

 

I know you don't really believe that. Just blame the cold medicine and concede that a card slot on the back of the machine is a less-than-good idea.

post #130 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

 

although iTunes offers higher bit-rates now, 

AAC 256 is not a high bit rate.  Albums that I really like, I will use Apple Lossless.  Therefore, I rip the CD at the method I choose.  There are older, out of print CDs that are not available on iTunes, but still can be found through other sources, like eBay and Amazon used market.  Need a CD drive for that.  Adding clutter to your desk with external drives has never been Apple's mantra...but I guess it is now.  I am surprised Apple didn't make the hard drive external.  Apple made fun of corded and cluttered computers in 1998 with the original iMac...I guess they are moving towards that direction with the external drive requirements.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQdcbk8lPk

post #131 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At 40% less volume I was afraid they'd lose the desktop-class Core processors but based on the speeds it looks like that isn't the case. I can't wait to see how they did it. That plug in the back means the PSU is internal so that's isn't it. Sure, the ODD is gone but that doesn't account for 40%.

The new iMac is a fat-ass in the back. The alleged 5mm thinness is misleading.  Only the very edge of the iMac is 5mm, the rest of the back panel balloons out to support the components, such as a 3.5 HD in the 27" model and crippled laptop drive in the 21.5.  Apple's website intentionally doesn't show the rear of the machine from the side.  But when Schiller spun it around during the keynote, it is the same thickness as the previous models, they just tapered out the edge to 5mm.

post #132 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I noticed that one too!  What a clusterfuck that is.  Apple's flagship desktop without audio input.  I guess Apple doesn't believe that anyone likes to record audio.  I am sure the fanbois will come up with a reason not to record audio, just like their BS reason for removing an optical drive.

 

Just use an external USB audio interface. And an external USB optical drive. And an external USB card reader.

 

Can you believe how thin they got it? Well, at the edges anyway... like, y'know, wow. The millimeters saved on edge thickness will more than make up for all the desktop space I lose to make room for external peripherals. Who cares about hard drive speed when you get a machine that looks this good, right?

post #133 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post

ALSO ALSO 

 

I'm drooling over this computer over my 5yr old black MacBook, but I'm slightly reluctant to buy. I feel like a retina & haswell model is just around the corner (April-July) window. Anyone else agree?

 

Just buy. No way in hell there will be a Retina by April/July. I'd say a year at the EARLIEST, and possibly up to 2. Making those sizes of screens at retina class dpi is a massive challenge, not to mention getting the cost down to something reasonable. 

 

Either way, the new iMac is a thing of fucking beauty. 

post #134 of 187
This my first post here, and via an iPad 1 - for what that's worth 1wink.gif.

Regarding the thinness of the new iMac, it may be that the Apple engineers were working on the principle that the surface area/volume ratio would be higher with the smaller-volume casing. As an object decreases in volume the surface area/volume ratio increases. This would give more relative surface area with which to dissipate heat, and there would also be less air to trap said heat - air generally having a lower thermal coefficient than metals.

Of course, I could be totally mistaken and the reduction in volume is not significant, but I thought I'd throw this one out there and see if anyone gets out the flame-thrower.

Exciting news all round 1smile.gif.

[Edited to remove typos]
Edited by AlexN - 10/24/12 at 3:02pm
post #135 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I noticed that one too!  What a clusterfuck that is.  Apple's flagship desktop without audio input.  I guess Apple doesn't believe that anyone likes to record audio.  I am sure the fanbois will come up with a reason not to record audio, just like their BS reason for removing an optical drive.

 

So glad Apple ignores people like you who desperately cling to the past, and they have the guts to move forward. I mean, is the removal of the optical drive that much of a shock to you? If it was up to you we'd still have every legacy port in existence, because Apple only got rid of them for 'BS reasons'. The optical drive is ancient history on PCs. Get over it, or just buy a damn external drive. For the rest of us, good riddance. 

post #136 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

So are the top end versions of these new imac going to be adequate for FCP and FCP X?  I run a small post facility and we do fairly typical spot work.  No complex effects or rendering.  Just offline on Final Cut  and then online in Smoke.  With a AJA IO XT on Thunderbolt for video monitoring and a Pegasus (or similar) for a RAID this seems like a decent Mac Pro replacement for our type of work.  Of course with maxed out RAM and CPU speed.

People in the video business or hobbyist shouldn't buy an all-in-one. Get a MP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I also question the wisdom of the SD card in the back. That makes it a bit awkward to use, either turn the entire machine around or grope around for the slot. I really liked the side edge slot.

I agree. As a photographer needing to swap cards out frequently, this is not optimal. I would have rather it been on the bottom. 

I sometimes pop it in the back of my MacMini. Works blindlessly easy. Can't see it, but you won't see it either if the slot is at the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Where did the computer go?

Where did the power cable go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

UHHHHHH, no audio input is a deal-breaker. What the hell?

Input it over USB. There are 4 ports, by default non in use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you are swapping cards out often I'd think you'd have an external USB card reader for that.

SERIOUSLY?! What you just said is that a feature of the machine isn't really meant to be *used* very much, and if you're actually going to *use* it, then the feature isn't really of any use to you.

I know you don't really believe that. Just blame the cold medicine and concede that a card slot on the back of the machine is a less-than-good idea.

Of course he is serious. And righteously so. If you make so many photo's that you'll be using SD Cards on a daily basis, get a reader. You probably have them lying around anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So glad Apple ignores people like you who desperately cling to the past, and they have the guts to move forward. I mean, is the removal of the optical drive that much of a shock to you? If it was up to you we'd still have every legacy port in existence, because Apple only got rid of them for 'BS reasons'. The optical drive is ancient history on PCs. Get over it, or just buy a damn external drive. For the rest of us, good riddance. 

Couldn't agree more!


@elroth, please use the "multi" button
post #137 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Just use an external USB audio interface. And an external USB optical drive. And an external USB card reader.

 

Can you believe how thin they got it? Well, at the edges anyway... like, y'know, wow. The millimeters saved on edge thickness will more than make up for all the desktop space I lose to make room for external peripherals. Who cares about hard drive speed when you get a machine that looks this good, right?

 

Your suggestions are asking the person to shell out more cash for the priviledge of buying the new iMac which removes these features. Either you're being facetious are actually find the new heat transfer design foot print by the removal of the DVD a win.

 

I don't care that they removed the DVD drive. I think the external add-on is fine, even if they want $79.

 

To suggest external usb audio as no biggy is rather short-sighted. You're assuming the guy has that rig. How about Apple provide that adaptor of a typical input on one end and an USB 3 port adaptor on the other end?

 

I'm not seeing one.

post #138 of 187
OK I just learned that the 21.5" model won't have user upgradable RAM, while the 27" has 4 RAM Slots. Great.
post #139 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you are swapping cards out often I'd think you'd have an external USB card reader for that.

 

SERIOUSLY?! What you just said is that a feature of the machine isn't really meant to be *used* very much, and if you're actually going to *use* it, then the feature isn't really of any use to you.

 

I know you don't really believe that. Just blame the cold medicine and concede that a card slot on the back of the machine is a less-than-good idea.

 

I too thought it was somewhat comical.

 

To paraphrase... "the SSD reader is in a good spot unless you actually need to use it"  1wink.gif

 

The location is obviously horrible from a useability standpoint. That fact isn't even arguable.

 

However, a reasoned argument could be made that the loss of usability is acceptable because it allows a preferable form factor for the computer. While I disagree that it was the correct tradeoff, that is just an opinion based upon the relative value of SSD usability vs a cool looking computer. Personally, i'd rather have a usable SSD slot but others can reasonably prefer aesthetics instead.

post #140 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are so full of BS.  You are so clueless that you don't even realize that the optical drive is dual layer, so you can store 8 GB of data on a DVD.  Low durability?  Where is your evidence to prove that?  I have CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that are over 10 years old and in perfect condition, just like the data stored on them.  Just because you drink the Apple Kool-Aid, doesn't mean everyone else in the world thinks the removal of an optical drive in a DESKTOP computer is a wise choice.  Apple has never been about clutter and external parts...but now they are because they want you to spend $1299 to $1999 and not even get an optical drive that is not considered obsolete.  You will look like a dork when someone has a music CD and you can't even rip it to iTunes because your $2,000 iMac didn't come with one.  Go buy Adobe's Creative Suite and try and install it on your new iMac...oh, you can't.  Apple removed the disc drive.  That's why my May 2011 iMac just became more valuable.  Oh, the SD card slot on the back of the iMac is another retarded move.  The side was the perfect location.

The laminated layers of a dvdr degrade very quickly. You can get archival grade discs however the cost per gigabyte is rather high. Ive seen cheaper media become unreadable within 5 years however some discs can last a long time its sort of a tossup.
post #141 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post

I'm an engineer, so I know something about technical design.

 

So funny.

 

(I'm a comedian, so I know something about funny.)

post #142 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yes, in the 21.5 model only.  Most likely because it is a 2.5 laptop drive because they made a DESKTOP machine so damn thin for no reason.  The 27 model is bigger and fatter, so they squeezed in a standard 3.5 7200 RPM drive.

Let's not jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Also, hop over to Apple's website and the 21.5 model does not have user upgradable RAM, only the 27" offers that.

Ouch, you're right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you are swapping cards out often I'd think you'd have an external USB card reader for that.

Maybe someone wants to dump the external reader now the machine has one built in. But the location makes it inconvenient. SD cards are meant to be swapped. The only other use is to have the card slot occupied as expansion storage, which is silly. So I'm left to wonder if you really thought that comment through.
post #143 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The new iMac is a fat-ass in the back. The alleged 5mm thinness is misleading.  Only the very edge of the iMac is 5mm, the rest of the back panel balloons out to support the components, such as a 3.5 HD in the 27" model and crippled laptop drive in the 21.5.  Apple's website intentionally doesn't show the rear of the machine from the side.  But when Schiller spun it around during the keynote, it is the same thickness as the previous models, they just tapered out the edge to 5mm.

It's 5mm at the edges. That was made quite clear during the event. What is misleading about that? Of course it's thicker toward the center. How else can you put desktop-grade components, the PSU in that casing and support the 20 lb with a stand if it's all 5mm? It's still 40% less volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe someone wants to dump the external reader now the machine has one built in. But the location makes it inconvenient. SD cards are meant to be swapped. The only other use is to have the card slot occupied as expansion storage, which is silly. So I'm left to wonder if you really thought that comment through.

Of course I did. Apple doesn't care about SD cards. They added it because they feel they had to but it's not for someone like the person I posted to that wants to constantly swap out cards. If that's what you want to do and you want a new Mac what other option do you have (besides bitching) than to get a USB SD card reader to plug in conveniently on your desk? This goes for anyone with some usage need that going to the back of the machine constantly would be a chore.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #144 of 187

Apple has been pushing the edge in this way for some time now (notebooks, iPad, iPod ... reliability has not been an issue... if anything, they seem to be MORE viable long-term than their clunkier "competition".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #145 of 187

I really like the new, thinner iMac. I would actually have liked them to go further and make it fully solid state and even thinner, and tell people who want more than 768MB storage to buy a Thunderbolt array. The Fusion drive technology I imagine will be rather short lived if Flash prices continue to drop. But maybe Apple can see, in their supply chain expertise, that the prices are starting to bottom out, so they thought this technology was a worthwhile investment.

 

The GPU in the high end 27" is also a really primo one if you look it up on the Internet. That should make Feral and Aspyr happy, but maybe the integrated graphics in the Mac Mini will not. But roll on the next generation of GPUs and panels that can give us the dream of a Retina iMac.

post #146 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I agree with you - I use the optical drive almost daily (I produce DVDs of martial arts workshops).

 

 

I had to buy an external burner because we moved to BluRay in addition to DVD.  It is much faster than the internal drive.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #147 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are so full of BS.  You are so clueless that you don't even realize that the optical drive is dual layer, so you can store 8 GB of data on a DVD.  Low durability?  Where is your evidence to prove that?  I have CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that are over 10 years old and in perfect condition, just like the data stored on them.  Just because you drink the Apple Kool-Aid, doesn't mean everyone else in the world thinks the removal of an optical drive in a DESKTOP computer is a wise choice.  Apple has never been about clutter and external parts...but now they are because they want you to spend $1299 to $1999 and not even get an optical drive that is not considered obsolete.  You will look like a dork when someone has a music CD and you can't even rip it to iTunes because your $2,000 iMac didn't come with one.  Go buy Adobe's Creative Suite and try and install it on your new iMac...oh, you can't.  Apple removed the disc drive.  That's why my May 2011 iMac just became more valuable.  Oh, the SD card slot on the back of the iMac is another retarded move.  The side was the perfect location.

 

 

I recently bought Creative Suite and it downloaded pretty fast.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #148 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's 5mm at the edges. That was made quite clear during the event. What is misleading about that? Of course it's thicker toward the center. How else can you put desktop-grade components, the PSU in that casing and support the 20 lb with a stand if it's all 5mm? It's still 40% less volume.

I think it brings to lie about the Apple event PR and fandom that talk down Android phones as needing to measure them at the thickest point, but we measure Apple products at the thinnest point. If that doesn't scream special pleading or a double standard, then I don't know what does.

Quote:
Of course I did. Apple doesn't care about SD cards. They added it because they feel they had to but it's not for someone like the person I posted to that wants to constantly swap out cards. If that's what you want to do and you want a new Mac what other option do you have (besides bitching) than to get a USB SD card reader to plug in conveniently on your desk? This goes for anyone with some usage need that going to the back of the machine constantly would be a chore.

I think the SD slot's presence is a contradiction then. There's no point for it to be there, its meaning is left in a no-man's land. It's like saying they felt they had to add a slot, but then locate it so it's not convenient enough to use, so the suggested course of action is to get another SD card reader. So why did they add the slot at all? Does that really make any sense at all to you? Can you think of a reasonable use case? It just doesn't sound like an Apple train of thought to me.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/24/12 at 6:38am
post #149 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it brings to lie about the Apple PR and fandom that talk down Android phones as needing to measure at the thickest point, but we measure Apple products at the thinnest point

And this Mac should be measured by it's thickest point, which includes the base, unless otherwise stated like in the presentation that mentions the edge.

Quote:
I think the SD slot's presence is a contradiction then. There's no point for it to be there, its meaning is left in a no-man's land. It's like saying they felt they had to add a slot, but then locate it so it's not convenient enough to use. So why did they add the slot at all? Does that many any sense at all to you? Can you think of a use case?

You'll have to ask Apple that. They did this with the Mac mini years ago, too. I'd wager Apple is simply giving the least amount of service they can in some way but don't want to.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #150 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I think it brings to lie about the Apple PR and fandom that talk down Android phones as needing to measure them at the thickest point, but we measure Apple products at the thinnest point.

I'd agree with Jeff. I remember dozens of posts claiming some Android smartphone maker was lying about the thinness of their product, forgetting to mention the camera bump or slightly thicker battery area. I don't know why you'd think Apple should get a technical pass for omitting the same details. It's certainly not 5mm overall. Misleading specs mentioned by other manufacturers is equally misleading when Apple does the same.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #151 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd agree with Jeff. I remember dozens of posts claiming some Android smartphone maker was lying about the thinness of their product, forgetting to mention the camera bump or slightly thicker battery area. I don't know why you'd think Apple should get a technical pass for omitting the same details. It's certainly not 5mm overall. Misleading specs mentioned by other manufacturers is equally misleading when Apple does the same.

It's not as bad as I made it out to be, they were clear about it being the edge, but visually, it's a sleight-of-hand that's annoying to me, I don't like when TV makers do it either.

Initially, I thought they made it even curvier and kept the thickest point of the body the same, but that wasn't true, it is maybe 10-15mm thinner overall
post #152 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not as bad as I made it out to be, they were clear about it being the edge, but visually, it's a sleight-of-hand that's annoying to me, I don't like when TV makers do it either.
Initially, I thought they made it even curvier and kept the thickest point of the body the same, but that wasn't true, it is maybe 10-15mm thinner overall

1) The 40% less volume is the more interesting stat here. It's hard to say that number is dishonest. In fact, I thought it was such an extreme reduction that I feared that the CPU may have gone back to being mobile. That doesn't appear to be the case as the've reduced the size of components and wasted space elsewhere to make it work. My only concern now is that 7200 RPM drive being noisy behind that display.

2) We saw it with the MBA, too. I think it was 0.13" thin they showed us. They also made it clear is was 0.76"(?) at the thickest point. I've never heard them say "only x mm thin" and leave it at that.

3) I guess I see your point. The thin edge of the MBA helps with sliding in and out of a bag but but with an iMac is all aesthetics, save for the extra curve allowing for a thinner metal backplate supporting more weight of the device.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #153 of 187

"Insanely thin" is silly, and sacrifices reliability.

If you hurry you can still buy a bulkier iMac with your precious optical drive and now at an even reduced price. Sounds like a win-win. I have a little more faith in Apple's engineers than your armchair engineering, so I'm sure we'll all be just fine.

post #154 of 187
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
I noticed that one too!  What a clusterfuck that is.  Apple's flagship desktop without audio input.  I guess Apple doesn't believe that anyone likes to record audio.  I am sure the fanbois will come up with a reason not to record audio, just like their BS reason for removing an optical drive.

 

1. Use USB or Thunderbolt. Not that big a frigging deal.

2. If you need an optical drive in 2012, stop buying Apple products entirely. You don't get it.


Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I think the SD slot's presence is a contradiction then. There's no point for it to be there, its meaning is left in a no-man's land. It's like saying they felt they had to add a slot, but then locate it so it's not convenient enough to use, so the suggested course of action is to get another SD card reader. So why did they add the slot at all? Does that really make any sense at all to you? Can you think of a reasonable use case? It just doesn't sound like an Apple train of thought to me.

 

And to top it all off, the side is definitely thick enough that the SD card slot could still have been put there. Why didn't they just leave it there? It's in a very weird place.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #155 of 187

Oh Apple of my eye, these are beautiful just what I was hopping for 2 months to go until they go on sale!

Like to see what the bto price will be. 

post #156 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeamac View Post

If you hurry you can still buy a bulkier iMac with your precious optical drive and now at an even reduced price. Sounds like a win-win. I have a little more faith in Apple's engineers than your armchair engineering, so I'm sure we'll all be just fine.

Who said the new product was less reliable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBubble View Post

Oh Apple of my eye, these are beautiful just what I was hopping for 2 months to go until they go on sale!
Like to see what the bto price will be.

That's about right, 21" available November, 27" available December, exact day unspecified for both.
post #157 of 187
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
That's about right, 21" available November, 27" available December, exact day unspecified for both.

 

Anyone else notice that… Wait, did I say this here already? 


Apple isn't selling the iMac right now. They have literally stopped selling a computer called "iMac". There's something wrong with that.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #158 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Who said the new product was less reliable?

 

 

Well... I responded to a DIFFERENT THREAD about the reliability of the iPad... somehow it ended up in THIS THREAD, and I can't even FIND the thread I was responding to now.

 

Oh well.  Sorry to have confused you.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #159 of 187

Gosh! what alot of wingers on this forum.... Get a life and get with the program,

Apple have omitted their rather retro (none BD) mechanical drive less heat, less noise, slimmer, less to breakdown, true they shouldn't have bothered with even such a badly positioned SD slot that can be serviced by wi-fi even in most pro situations, but he-ho that's life.

 

On the other hand what a step up for the display, as a photographer I'm certainly going to be auditioning this top end 27" ssd model, and as a professional user I'll be adding an external storage server device with an external BD burner as well as an Mbox pro for Audio synths and recording, that way the comp does the apps display work and studios easily plug-in the devices they need for their specialization spreading the heat generating load and still being a stand alone for the average user so maybe this is a near perfect design really, all modern software design apps ect will easily download or stream rent a faster professional isp link if you need it.

( pls note the average user does not pay $6000 for a gaming machine either if thats your bag buy one)

 

I would personally have wished for more stream-lining but maybe in a future haswell iteration where a 1tbt ssd and ram VLSI could be pci-ed direct to the processor buss reducing the unfortunate legacy sata conversion, I'd also like a way of paralleling  imacs together sharing workload over 8 cores for example. but the one disappointment both with the imac and OS10 was the omission of a touchscreen, PCs are going to have a significant edge with pen and touch ability that creative people use everyday.

I know the Wacom CintiqHD touch can be plugged in but the screen gamut and resolution is significantly different less contrast means more uncomfortable to use in tandem with the iMac. and a 27" hi res touch screen would make photo and video and logic sound editing alot easier imho, each to their own.

 

At the end of the day if you like it you'll buy it, if not you can always choose something else.

post #160 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone else notice that… Wait, did I say this here already? 


Apple isn't selling the iMac right now. They have literally stopped selling a computer called "iMac". There's something wrong with that.

This is highly unusual for Apple. The last time I rememer no units for sale was toward the me of the original iPhone but when they announced the iPhone 3G they had a ship date, an it was soon.

On top of that the iMac I'm getting ships after Black Friday. While this isn't a huge issue for a relatively low volume item that starts at $2k it's not a good thing te Apple to do.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's redesigned iMac is 5mm thin with edge-to-edge glass