or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

post #1 of 140
Just six months after the third-generation iPad debuted, Apple has launched a new fourth-generation model with a faster A6X processor, FaceTime HD camera and Lightning connection port.

iPad 4

The price of the new model is the same at Wi-Fi-only with 16 gigabytes of storage for $499, while a cellular-capable model is $629.

The latest iPad also has expanded LTE support for more carriers around the world. And Wi-Fi is up to twice as fast as the third-generation model, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said.

"We're not taking our foot off the gas," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said.

The fourth-generation iPad features the same 9.7-inch Retina display as its predecessor, powered by a new Apple-designed A6X chip that the company said delivers up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip. It still features 10 hours of battery life in the same design as the third-generation iPad.

iPad 4

iPad 4

The new iPad also supports Apple's new Lightning connector, the replacement for the company's legacy 30-pin dock connector that was found in previous-generation iPad models. Lightning connector accessories are available to support cameras, SD cards and VGA or HDMI digital video.

Because it sports the same design, existing iPad Smart Covers and the iPad Smart Case are compatible with the fourth-generation iPad.

Pricing & availability

The fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi models available on Friday, Nov. 2, in black or white for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. Fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon will be offered for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. Preorders begin this Friday, Oct. 26.

iPad 4

iPad 4

The fourth generation iPad will be sold through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.
post #2 of 140
All these products being unveiled today only mean one thing. Apple's new TV gets unveiled in Spring of 2013.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #3 of 140
Called it to the T (even to the 6X). Cya Surface. 1smile.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 140
Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.
post #5 of 140

Apple managed to keep the iPad 4 under wraps pretty well.  Very nice.  One of my friends just bought his iPad 3 on the 4th, so he is returning it for the new one heh.

post #6 of 140

Floored...gonna get a iPad 4 and a mini I think.

post #7 of 140

Interesting they updated the regular iPad now... two questions I wonder about:

1) Does this mean going forward all iPad announcements will be October/November? (As the iPhone announcement has changed recently)

2) Is there no iPad "5" launch in April as most expected or will there be updates every six months?

Will have to wait to see. The mini is very good for people like me who didn't want to pay $500+ for an iPad but $330 is a lot easier to swallow and get the same device (just smaller).

That new iMac is extremely nice, amazing how they can make a desktop that thin. You know HP, Dell (etc) are all scratching their heads now and racing around like chickens throwing away all their plans and designs.

Thank you, Steve Jobs and team.

post #8 of 140

They obviously didn't move the iPad 3 down to $399 because that wouldve consumed a lot of iPad 4 sales.  Who in their right mind will buy an iPad 2 now?  lol

post #9 of 140
How in the world will they stay with the spring launch of a new iPad?
post #10 of 140

Sssss...Sayonara...Ssss...Surface....

Sssss...Sayonara...Ssss...Sammy....

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #11 of 140

So, do I buy an iPad 4 or wait a few months for the iPad 5?   :)

post #12 of 140

I am extremely pleased that Apple had the brassies to upgrade the iPad 4 mid cycle.

I would have preferred that the iPad Mini start at $299... but, hey... $30.

The lineup looks great -- the iPad 2 is a good price performer -- faster than the iPad 3 on graphics/screen-intensive apps.

post #13 of 140
Those who complain about buying the iPad 3 and now the iPad 4 is out with twice the speed, and other features really shouldn't complain.

As an iPad 2 user, the iPad 3 did not have the specs to make the upgrade worthwhile. Adding retina display was simply not worth it to me. If it was worth it to you, then you made a good purchase. If it was not, then it's your fault.

The iPad 4 now IS a worthy update to the iPad 2. I certainly don't expect an iPad 5 coming Spring 2013 unless updates to the iPad line are delivered with the same lack of fanfare that the normal incremental improvements to the MacBook Pro.

What might drive Apple to upgrade more frequently might be the competition, though I can guess some of Apple's patents could be implemented.
post #14 of 140
A6X. So long S4 Pro, at least you held the crown for fastest processor for a couple days before being destroyed by the A6X.
post #15 of 140

Didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft and Google/Sammy have some tablet related announcements in the next few days?

post #16 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Mine still works fine.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #17 of 140

Unbelievable.  Pretty cool, but if they had this, why release the iPad 3 without the A6 only a few months ago?  Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things, but I am a little irritated to see speed DOUBLED in just a few months.  Oh well.  I hope they're not going to refresh now twice a year and are instead just moving the iPad releases to October.  Guess we'll see!  Very nice products though and the new iMac is absolutely stunning!

post #18 of 140

Apple sure knows how to put a lock on the industry. Blowing Microsoft out of the water with multiple upgrades and a new product this year...wow. Steve would be proud. Now I just need my iPad 4th generation!

post #19 of 140

My wife and I are in the 'bought an iPad 3 six months ago boat,' but that's ok.

We'll wait for the 128GB models. That's gotta be coming in 2013.

post #20 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Mine still works fine.

When they don't give you iOS 8 and you can't update apps anymore because you are on iOS 7 we will see how fine it's working.  A six month launch window will speed up the entire lifecycle including obsoletion.  Once Apple abandons a device it takes one security flaw to be found and now you are SOL.

post #21 of 140

Still Micro SIM, no Nano? That's really strange... Of course there is no actual need, but that is true of the old 30 pin plug, too. So for compatibility reasons I was sure Apple would go Nano here too.

post #22 of 140
Quote:

People chew out Apple because they wait a year between products.
People chew out Apple because products later in the cycle have "old" components.

Now you are chewing Apple out for coming out with a refreshed model with faster, more current hardware in under a year?

What's your problem?

What scenario needs to occur for you (and others) to say "Way to go Apple!! This is great!!" ??  /s

post #23 of 140

For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.

I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

post #24 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The lineup looks great -- the iPad 2 is a good price performer -- faster than the iPad 3 on graphics/screen-intensive apps.

Faster than the iPad 3, maybe, but not the new iPad (3S?  4?).

Anyways, I'm somewhat glad.  I was dreading that something in this announcement would be a must-buy for me, but now I can save my money.  I was interested in the iPad mini, but would have only been willing to pay more than $250 if it had a Retina display.  I can't say I'm surprised it's $329--this is Apple, after all, and they tend to be more expensive.

I was a bit surprised that there was a new MBP 13", iMac, and Mac Mini--not sure why, though.  I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to rumors.  The new iMac looks nice, though I would prefer it to have an optical drive and no chin.  No optical drive makes sense on a portable, but there's not much reason on a desktop.  Thickness isn't an issue here, beyond bragging rights and, I guess, using less material for a lower carbon footprint.  With that said, I use the optical drive all the time on my iMac (mainly for Handbrake).  An external drive just adds clutter I don't want.

Fusion Drive is a welcome feature, though I wonder if (and how) it differs from other hybrid solutions or Intel's Smart Response.

The new MBP is certainly tempting, but I can wait.  My 2011 MBA is doing just fine.  Really, the biggest temptation here is the new 9.7" iPad--but I can hold off on that, too!

post #25 of 140
So with my extended coverage can I "break" my iPad3 and get the new 4th Gen?

If I wait a few months, 2-3, they should be out of 3rd gen stock so maybe..
post #26 of 140

Your assertion that the 3 didn't offer any compelling reasons to upgrade over the ipad2 was stated by just about every major review, and is supported by performance metrics.  But, the reason most people are complaining is that the ipad 4 has come only six months after the 3 hit the market.    

EDIT: I should also learn the difference between "reply" and "quote". smh

post #27 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Quote:

Mine still works fine.

Mine seems to be ok, although it has been picking up a lot of whining the last few minutes.
post #28 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post

Unbelievable.  Pretty cool, but if they had this, why release the iPad 3 without the A6 only a few months ago?  Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things, but I am a little irritated to see speed DOUBLED in just a few months.  Oh well.  I hope they're not going to refresh now twice a year and are instead just moving the iPad releases to October.  Guess we'll see!  Very nice products though and the new iMac is absolutely stunning!

The retina display bump and the LTE for the cellular?

post #29 of 140

So what's the pricing on the now discontinued iPad 3s still in the channel?

post #30 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

If you're into waiting, I here there's going to be an iPad 6 a few months after that. Then iPad 7 in March 2014. Since you like waiting, why not just keep waiting?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 140

This was a surprise move by Apple indeed. It also means that in January next year there will be no new iPad to look forward to. A strategic move to meet the Christmas shopping frenzy season.

post #32 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy C View Post

You might end up with a refurbished model.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNorse View Post

How in the world will they stay with the spring launch of a new iPad?

What spring launch would that be?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #34 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

Faster than the iPad 3, maybe, but not the new iPad (3S?  4?).

Anyways, I'm somewhat glad.  I was dreading that something in this announcement would be a must-buy for me, but now I can save my money.  I was interested in the iPad mini, but would have only been willing to pay more than $250 if it had a Retina display.  I can't say I'm surprised it's $329--this is Apple, after all, and they tend to be more expensive.

I was a bit surprised that there was a new MBP 13", iMac, and Mac Mini--not sure why, though.  I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to rumors.  The new iMac looks nice, though I would prefer it to have an optical drive and no chin.  No optical drive makes sense on a portable, but there's not much reason on a desktop.  Thickness isn't an issue here, beyond bragging rights and, I guess, using less material for a lower carbon footprint.  With that said, I use the optical drive all the time on my iMac (mainly for Handbrake).  An external drive just adds clutter I don't want.

Fusion Drive is a welcome feature, though I wonder if (and how) it differs from other hybrid solutions or Intel's Smart Response.

The new MBP is certainly tempting, but I can wait.  My 2011 MBA is doing just fine.  Really, the biggest temptation here is the new 9.7" iPad--but I can hold off on that, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromos View Post

When they don't give you iOS 8 and you can't update apps anymore because you are on iOS 7 we will see how fine it's working.  A six month launch window will speed up the entire lifecycle including obsoletion.  Once Apple abandons a device it takes one security flaw to be found and now you are SOL.

You are jumping the gun there.  Assuming b/c there was 6 months between new versions of the iPad that iOS will start doubling as well makes no sense.  The new OS came out a month ago and was not tied to this iPad release at all.  The iPad 3 will still be running the new iOS released next fall and we will see teh fall after that.  Personally I believe they are shifting all iOS devices to the holiday cycle. I bought the new iPad in March and it's fine. Nothing will inherently make it work worse just b/c a new iPad was released.  A friend of mine bought his 3 earlier this month so he's mad and taking his back to pre-order the new one.  Don't blame him, he has his 30 day window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

Smart response is just cacheing.  Fusion Drive is actually copying data to a new location and making that the new home for the files.  So if I play World of Warcraft every day, it will get pushed over to the flash memory, while iPhoto Booth (or whatever it is caleld) will go to the hard drive as it gets neglected.  This is what the smart Start Menu was doing in Windows, but that was just for links to the data, not actually moving the data as well.  AFAIK, this isn't being done currently by any other OS, but the capability is built into Mountain Lion.

post #35 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Those who complain about buying the iPad 3 and now the iPad 4 is out with twice the speed, and other features really shouldn't complain.

I agree, and I'm not complaining. Don't care for the smaller iPad, already have Gen 1 & 3 of the larger model.
post #36 of 140
Quote:

Actually, closer to 8 months... Mar 7 - Nov 2.

I think that this will preemptively prevent the competition from releasing some devices... so which would you rather see Apple to obsolete the iPad 3 -- or Microsoft or Google/Sammy?

post #37 of 140
I detect another reason they did not call it the iPad 3!
post #38 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

The iPad 4 is still a lunk due to its honking battery which is required by its gorgeous, power-sucking display.

Your choice!

post #39 of 140
Vindication! About a week and a half ago I posted a comment here giving my wish list for an upgraded iPad that would launch together with the iPad mini. At the time the global moderator answered me back, basically mocking me for thinking such a thing would even happen before Spring next year. And here it is an upgraded iPad with exactly those features I wished for and more! And now I'm going to order the new iPad I've been waiting for since iPad3 (with its stopgap hot running A5x) made its debut 6 months ago.
post #40 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy C View Post

no... wait a year just to be safe... (you have 2 years in the applecare+)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera