or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera - Page 4

post #121 of 140
Apple still left the screen unchanged, so that leaves wide open the possibility of them introducing the improved screen bonding techniques seen in the MacBook Pros and now iMacs. The iPads DESPERATELY need the reduction in glare achieved from this process. I'd say this could still be on the cards for a March/April update, along with a possible case refresh.
post #122 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

hehehehe. So what else is new, about Apple and its predecessor Apple Computer?????

This has been Apple's strategy since the 1970s.  But.. the U.S. automobile manufacturers do that , too. So..  Why not Apple?

That is the main reason I do not buy Apple products.

Although Apple's marketing and user interface capabilities are top notch, Apple's love and compassion for their customer base has never been there and never will be there...  ever!

HOA

post #123 of 140
Originally Posted by handsomestofall View Post

That is the main reason I do not buy Apple products.

So your point for being here at all is what?

HOA

I guess that stands for Completely-full-of-nothing-but-lies-and-FUD On Arrival. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #124 of 140

Well, I've been waiting for awhile to buy an ipad......got to jump in sometime. Friends who have one tell me they do wish it were lighter, etc. But basically I have two options.....buy now or wait. one could wait forever for the "perfect" product. Friends who have an ipad seem to love it....they hardly touch their laptops anymore. 

So what is the worse that can happen? I buy one. I start using and loving it. In six months they might come out with a thinner, lighter one with almost non-glare glass and who knows what. Or perhaps not until a YEAR later.  At that time I either keep it, sell it and upgrade or give it to my kids and still buy the newest one. At least I get the pleasure of using one.

If the next one comes real soon I will do my best to remember this post and not whine. It's just an ipad....I use it, enjoy it, and if the value drops due to a newer one that is nothing compared to what some good folks deal with in life. To those who are crying big time, go visit a homeless shelter, soup kitchen or a nursing home or a cancer ward......THAT will keep things in perspective.

I'm thinking it is time to jump in.....in life one seems to regret the things they do not do more then what they do. I'm psyched.....I'm buying an ipad!

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
post #125 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

I'm thinking it is time to jump in.....in life one seems to regret the things they do not do more then what they do. I'm psyched.....I'm buying an ipad!

The best time to jump into any Apple product is right at or very near launch IMO.

post #126 of 140
"Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) "

How on earth can they claim it's twice as fast as before?? It's exactly the same.
post #127 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. Any proof that people are lining up to buy the Surface because it is proven to be faster than iPad 3? That line of reasoning is not reasonable at all. I'd like to say this was a matter of streamlining manufacturing, but the A6X ≠ A6. And don't forget they are calling this a new generation iPad. There is more to this than meets the eye. But we may never find out why.

It could have as much to do with Google's event on Monday. The recent Nexus products seems to have gotten Apple's attention, sometimes unwanted I might add (think IP claims).1wink.gif

http://briefmobile.com/google-nexus-10-samsung-android-4-2

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #128 of 140
Originally Posted by elmsley View Post
"Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) "
How on earth can they claim it's twice as fast as before?? It's exactly the same.

Because it didn't have dual-band n before.

post #129 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

All these products being unveiled today only mean one thing. Apple's new TV gets unveiled in Spring of 2013.

Not at all. All the products being unveiled simply means they were unveiled. It means nothing about a new Apple TV box, a 'real' TV, whether there will be a spring iPad or anything else. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #130 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

Nope. It still works just fine. It's just not the latest and greatest. If that is an issue for you (or rather your ego) you should quit all tech now because it will happen again, and again, and again. 

post #131 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post

Unbelievable.  Pretty cool, but if they had this, why release the iPad 3 without the A6 only a few months ago?  

You assume they had it a few months ago. And that it was up to Apple quality standard. Both are likely false assumptions based on no real information and simply a desire to be pissy. 

post #132 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy C View Post

So with my extended coverage can I "break" my iPad3 and get the new 4th Gen?
If I wait a few months, 2-3, they should be out of 3rd gen stock so maybe..

Nope. Your warranty is for a 3rd gen and they keep making units of the same for such replacements for a minimum of two years after the last retail unit sells. So you break your 3rd gen and you'll get a 3rd gen. 

post #133 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
So if I play World of Warcraft every day, it will get pushed over to the flash memory, while iPhoto Booth (or whatever it is caleld) will go to the hard drive as it gets neglected. 

Not exactly. The apps and OS will be on the solid state. It's the library files for the app that get moved around. So the data file with your information for WOW will potentially move to the SSD but the library file for iPhoto, Photo Booth etc will be on the hard drive because you never do anything with them (if they exist at all they won't until the first time you bother to open the application). 

post #134 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's called insurance fraud, and if you had any sense or intelligence whatsoever you wouldn't do this. And no, you'll have to wait multiple years for them to be "out of 3rd gen stock".

At which point they will be past all legal requirements for continued service even at your cost so they can just refuse that option. Same as what they can do with that iBook you've been hanging into for years. It's legally obsolete so they don't have to make parts for anyone to fix it. 

post #135 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If they stop making them then it is technically obsolete.

Then it won't be obsolete for a good 3-5 years. Because under various state laws, including California they have to keep producing the part in order to honor the warranty. So while they aren't retail selling it they are still making them

post #136 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

They are changing the upgrade cycle to 6 months now. The iPad mini may be upgraded in 6 months with retina display. The iPhone 5 may be upgraded soon as well.

Based on what source. None. They might be doing it every 6 months or equally might be moving to the Fall. 

post #137 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

Their next event could be in the spring to announce a new Mac Pro (Ha!) or a TV Set (Ugh). I hope its the former.

The Mac Pro isn't likely to get an event. Certainly not if its the only thing being released. It's just not the high seller that warrants needing to get the word out. 

Now if they have a pile of stuff like new monitors, the Pro, a bunch of new software updates etc they might do a small event. Or depending on what it is they might 'preview' it at some event that has a lot of Pros present like how they did the preview of Final Cut X. 

post #138 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Maybe this is just a fluke, but I can't imagine that Apple would ever increase the number of individual product releases each year.  There wouldn't be as much of a product frenzy.

Though, if Apple comes out with an A7 with a quad-core Swift with PowerVR G6400 next spring for a new iPad I wouldn't complain.

Steve never saw the point in 'mid cycle' bumps but given that he's dead and Tim might feel different who knows what is about to happen.  Especially with something that doesn't have a contract controlling buying. Tim might think that every six months for a baby increase on the iPads is perfect, preferred over the ire of doing the same every 12 months and having the bloggers dump all over things. At least now when they do the baby step and folks shit all over it as 'barely better than the last one' the counter is 'that was six months ago, this is for the folks that bought a year ago and from that it is a big change' rather like how with the iPhones since most folks buy every two years THATs the valid change comparison. 

post #139 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSoul35 View Post

It's no mystery why Apple released the IPad Mini and IPad 4. These products are meant to compete with the smaller e-reader market and the Microsoft Surface, respectively.

Odd theory given that the iPad etc outsell said competition. So why exactly would they need to release something to 'compete' with something they are already beating. 

post #140 of 140
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Odd theory given that the iPad etc outsell said competition. So why exactly would they need to release something to 'compete' with something they are already beating. 

An undecuple post, really? lol.gif

You make a good point. What WAS the purpose of the iPad mini at all?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera