or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera - Page 3

post #81 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

I don't think so. I guess they can sell the still-in-the-channel iPad3 for enterprise customers with special deal as they may always do that anyways, in high volume orders.

The do have a large requirement for 'warranty replacement' for those devices that are older than the 'free-upgrade' period.  They'll take back all of these, then run the line for enough for their planned consumption, then shut down the line (in time for the 5th generation iPad;-), and hope they hit the right glide path.

post #82 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We have ONE data point. You CANNOT say anything about ONE data point. Doesn't matter how it looks.

Uh, no. Apathy caused this problem. Telling people they're idiots and ridiculing them for perpetuating it is one of the easiest ways to fix it.

But you cannot deny that the data point exists, and what we thought would NEVER happen did in fact happen. If you fall down the stairs and break a leg, you'll forever remember the time you fell and not the countless times you didn't. Why does that one data point supercede the others? Because it was out of the norm.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 140
Maybe those people need. To be taken out behind the wood shed for some aggressive education or behavior modification.

The reality is there is absolutely nothing to complain about here. Apple needs to be aggressive to prevent repeating the mistakes made early in its history. The competition they face is real, the need a flagship model that is undeniably a better buy than the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Your assertion that the 3 didn't offer any compelling reasons to upgrade over the ipad2 was stated by just about every major review, and is supported by performance metrics.  But, the reason most people are complaining is that the ipad 4 has come only six months after the 3 hit the market.    
Realize that I'm being as polite as I can possibly be when I say such people are complete idiots and utterly out of touch with reality. What would these people prefer that Apple loose out to MicroSoft? Maybe they want the stock to crash, I don't know but iPad 4 is a sign that Apple isn't about to give up this market to anyone without a fight.
Quote:
EDIT: I should also learn the difference between "reply" and "quote". smh
post #84 of 140
I'm sure Christmas was a factor but a minor one. The biggest factor is making sure they can keep MicroSoft in their place. Do not underestimate a strategy here to control the market and make sure the competition looks very poor even with their best product put forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

This was a surprise move by Apple indeed. It also means that in January next year there will be no new iPad to look forward to. A strategic move to meet the Christmas shopping frenzy season.
post #85 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe those people need. To be taken out behind the wood shed for some aggressive education or behavior modification.
The reality is there is absolutely nothing to complain about here. Apple needs to be aggressive to prevent repeating the mistakes made early in its history. The competition they face is real, the need a flagship model that is undeniably a better buy than the competition.
Realize that I'm being as polite as I can possibly be when I say such people are complete idiots and utterly out of touch with reality. What would these people prefer that Apple loose out to MicroSoft? Maybe they want the stock to crash, I don't know but iPad 4 is a sign that Apple isn't about to give up this market to anyone without a fight.

Another idiot using loose for lose. Is Apple going to now respond to the competition instead of lead?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 140
Really what do you expect if you introduce that word into the discussion. Modern politics is all about fraud, do you really think either of the guys debating lately have been honest 100% of the time. I'm not talking about mistakes made but out right evasion of the truth.

Actually I'm rather shocked that anyone would expect to use such a word and not get a political response this time of the year. I mean really, besides iPads, what else is on people's minds this time of the year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I happen to be surprised when ANYONE is willing to commit fraud.  I'm kinda an absolutist in that way, not a relativist.  Stop trying to turn an unrelated discussion into politics.
post #87 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Another idiot using loose for lose. Is Apple going to now respond to the competition instead of lead?

If you digest what happened today they are leading. This is a huge release of some really excellent hardware, the industry will continue to follow Apple.
post #88 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If you digest what happened today they are leading. This is a huge release of some really excellent hardware, the industry will continue to follow Apple.

Didn't you say they're responding to the Surface? Was something seriously wrong with the 3rd gen iPad or are they afraid of the competition? Apple is doing exactly what many here mocked other manufacturers of doing. I understand why current iPad 3 owners are complaining about, if Apple didn't have enoughcconfidence in refreshing at the one year mark why should they have any confidence in it?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #89 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Not directly replying to you, but in general.
I recall when Apple laptops/desktops were nowhere near top of (hardware) performance, people around here were commonly saying raw performance is really pointless compared to user experience.
Now Apple releases faster version of latest iPad, six months earlier, obviously trying to undermine competition's releases, with same, old, a bit boring OS, and suddenly Universe is doomed.
 

 

"Same, old, bit boring OS" - that just so happens to have the best user experience? And now with the early update on top, it doesn't leave much room for competitors. That's the point, not some imagined hypocrisy.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #90 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

"Same, old, bit boring OS" - that just so happens to have the best user experience? And now with the early update on top, it doesn't leave much room for competitors. That's the point, not some imagined hypocrisy.

True but since when did Apple care so much about what room the competition had?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #91 of 140

Anyone have more info on how "Wi-Fi is up to twice as fast as the third-generation model" ?

post #92 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.

I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

You can either happily use what you have and be thankful you have it, or if you are really that dissatisfied, sell it and buy the latest and greatest for not that much more $$. Please just don't mope about it, you sound pathetic.

post #93 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Was something seriously wrong with the 3rd gen iPad or are they afraid of the competition?Apple is doing exactly what many here mocked other manufacturers of doing. I understand why current iPad 3 owners are complaining about, if Apple didn't have enoughcconfidence in refreshing at the one year mark why should they have any confidence in it?

 

 

"Was something seriously wrong with the 3rd gen iPad"

 

No, but in introducing a new product Apple took the opportunity to move it's release of the entire iPad line to be prior to Christmas rather than shortly after. Whether this is a permanent move remains to be seen, but it makes sense. Regarding the "3" in particular, they took the opportunity to also switch to the Lightning connector, add more LTE capability, and I think we will see that the backlighting will have changed on the "4" to be a simpler/lighter design than the "3". Also, they could switch to their own ARM chip, which makes sense in terms of supply/inventory. None of these changes were necessary, but they were opportune. I don't see why people are complaining about a product being improved.

 

"Apple is doing exactly what many here mocked other manufacturers of doing."

 

How so? Are you referring to the smaller iPad or an early update for the larger iPad? The smaller iPad keeps to Apple's human interface guidelines re: the size of touch targets, so one does NOT have to file one's fingers down to use it. The interface is designed for tablet use, rather than simply being upscaled from a phone or shrunken to the point of being difficult to use. 

 

There is nothing set in stone that Apple must release once per year. iPad 3 owners have no basis for complaint regarding the timing of this update - just as I who recently purchased a Slingbox Pro HD and a week later there was an announcement of new models for the first time in 4+ years. Some Apple stores are offering exchanges for recent purchasers, similar to those who buy macs within a short period before an update. If one feels particularly aggrieved to having the superseded model, there is eBay and they can buy a new one.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #94 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by urungus View Post

Anyone have more info on how "Wi-Fi is up to twice as fast as the third-generation model" ?

 

Basically, when connecting to an access point that supports it, it can use both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless channels at the same time to transfer data twice as fast.

 

 

Quote:

Advanced Wi-Fi technology. Built in.

The new Wi-Fi capabilities built into iPad keep you connected faster than ever — up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps.5 Translation: Many of the things you do every day may start to feel a whole lot faster.

 

post #95 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


True but since when did Apple care so much about what room the competition had?

 

So you truly think that Apple operates in a vaccum and that a) improved demand for smaller tablet devices wasn't a good signal for them to release a product that they've had waiting in the wings for some time? And b) they shouldn't react to new players in the market? If anyone is aware of the price umbrella in the iPad line it is Apple, they've simply timed their move for best impact.


Edited by sennen - 10/23/12 at 5:48pm
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #96 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

the new product line looks to be in 12(6?) months:

Entry: $199/229/249: 'original' iPad Mini (A5X)

iPad mini has an A5 processor (same as iPad 2 and iPhone 4S) rather than A5X (iPad 3's processor)

post #97 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

 

Basically, when connecting to an access point that supports it, it can use both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless channels at the same time to transfer data twice as fast.

 

 

 

 

 

Cool, thanks

post #98 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

Oh noes!!!

post #99 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

So you truly think that Apple operates in a vaccum and that a) improved demand for smaller tablet devices wasn't a good signal for them to release a product that they've had waiting in the wings for some time? And b) they shouldn't react to new players in the market? If anyone is aware of the price umbrella in the iPad line it is Apple, they've simply timed their move for best impact.

Are they gonna start wearing suits now too?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #100 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Are they gonna start wearing suits now too?

 

What is your point?

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #101 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

What is your point?

Then I guess you have no clue what your signature means.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #102 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Then I guess you have no clue what your signature means.

 

I know what your point was, I was just hoping you'd be less obtuse. Or perhaps you just happen to swallow Apple's marketing whole and really are disappointed/bitter that they sometimes change their minds or do something different to what they might have said previously, even when it makes sense to do so. You're a black and white kind a person, huh?

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #103 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I know what your point was, I was just hoping you'd be less obtuse. Or perhaps you just happen to swallow Apple's marketing whole and really are disappointed/bitter that they sometimes change their minds or do something different to what they might have said previously, even when it makes sense to do so. You're a black and white kind a person, huh?

There was a whole lot of mind changing at Apple today. They gave what the consumer wanted which was something SJ was against. I understand why they'd do what they did but at the same time surprised. Apple bought a whole bunch of suits today, and yes I am a black and white person.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #104 of 140

This is bull, I just got an iPad 3 a few months ago and now they release this and mine won't work anymore.

 

What's that?  Mine still works just as well as it always has?  No that doesn't sound right.  What would I complain about?

post #105 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


There was a whole lot of mind changing at Apple today. They gave what the consumer wanted which was something SJ was against.

 

By many reports, SJ changed his mind on things all the time, even about things he was vehemently for/against.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #106 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymac View Post

This is bull, I just got an iPad 3 a few months ago and now they release this and mine won't work anymore.

What's that?  Mine still works just as well as it always has?  No that doesn't sound right.  What would I complain about?

That it obviously wasn't good enough to last a year.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #107 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

By many reports, SJ changed his mind on things all the time, even about things he was vehemently for/against.

It's not mind changing that's the problem. Don't mock what others do and then go do the very same thing. Didn't you think it very odd that they'd showcase a competing product in their presentation? Are they so afraid of the Nexus 7 that they had to convince people why the iPad mini is better?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #108 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It's not mind changing that's the problem. Don't mock what others do and then go do the very same thing. Didn't you think it very odd that they'd showcase a competing product in their presentation? Are they so afraid of the Nexus 7 that they had to convince people why the iPad mini is better?

 

Mind changing not the problem? And yet you comment on the mind changing. That's odd. It's not like it's the first time Apple has mentioned a competitor at an event, now is it? 

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #109 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Mind changing not the problem? And yet you comment on the mind changing. That's odd. It's not like it's the first time Apple has mentioned a competitor at an event, now is it? 

Joking about a competitor isn't the same thing.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Joking about a competitor isn't the same thing.

Steve would never have joked about a competitor. Apple is doomed.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #111 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.


Mine still works fine.
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromos View Post


When they don't give you iOS 8 and you can't update apps anymore because you are on iOS 7 we will see how fine it's working.  A six month launch window will speed up the entire lifecycle including obsoletion.  Once Apple abandons a device it takes one security flaw to be found and now you are SOL.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post


Mine seems to be ok, although it has been picking up a lot of whining the last few minutes.

 

 

My ipad 3 is also doing fine too....   I am planning to keep it 2 years at least, so what if there is another one 6 months out instead of 1 year out...

post #112 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

They obviously didn't move the iPad 3 down to $399 because that wouldve consumed a lot of iPad 4 sales.  Who in their right mind will buy an iPad 2 now?  lol

What are you talking about? ipad 2 is the best model regardless of higher spec and retina display.  It's one of the finest model ever made.

post #113 of 140
It's no mystery why Apple released the IPad Mini and IPad 4. These products are meant to compete with the smaller e-reader market and the Microsoft Surface, respectively.

Apple has the highest quality products on the market so with the Mini they're looking to steal customers away from competitors like Amazon, and with the iPad 4 they're trying to over shadow the release of the Surface.

It's just business.
post #114 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.

I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

 

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that iPad 4 is really the big announcement, not iPad mini? Mini may turn out too expensive to take on the huge bottom-feeder market for low-cost devices that Amazon and Samsung already own. This one is the Surface killer. This review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-1085839/review says “Microsoft is intending to go toe-to-toe with the Cupertino brand in the tablet arena”. No doubt the way they did with Zune: selling last year’s model with new features no one wants.

 

Maybe some recent iPad buyers are disappointed but I bet they are not half as disappointed as Microsoft.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #115 of 140
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Didn't you think it very odd that they'd showcase a competing product in their presentation? Are they so afraid of the Nexus 7 that they had to convince people why the iPad mini is better?
Originally Posted by sennen View Post
Steve would never have joked about a competitor. Apple is doomed.

 

Yeah, the first iPhone's introduction didn't show MULTIPLE competitors on the screen or anything. lol.gif

The intro of the aluminum iMac didn't show a Dell computer on the screen or anything. 

 

When Apple starts showing competitors' products in their ads, then you can start being alarmed. 


Originally Posted by philipm View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else agree that iPad 4 is really the big announcement, not iPad mini? Mini may turn out too expensive to take on the huge bottom-feeder market for low-cost devices that Amazon and Samsung already own. This one is the Surface killer. 

 

I believe that Apple didn't need to do this to kill the Surface.

 

I believe that since Apple did this, zero people outside Microsoft who aren't in the Anti-Apple Brigade will have any reason to buy the Surface. 

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #116 of 140

Almost there... when the iPad 9.7" gets as thin as the iPad Mini in depth and width I will finally buy an iPad.  I may even get the iPad Mini when they inevitably put out the retina version this time next year, or sooner.  So probably iPad 5th gen and Mini 2nd gen will be the one's that entice me in...  I love the look of the mini.  It needs to be translated into the 9.7" version as soon as possible!

MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
post #117 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

I agree that the iPad 4 announcement is underreported, but I am not sure that people were suffering from any speed problems on the iPad 3, so it is not clear how much of a selling point the 2x speed boost is right now (it obviously is going forward, where people are going to develop fancier games, etc). The better FaceTime camera is certainly a win, but in my opinion the real issues with the iPad 3 are battery life (which may be improved in the iPad 4 -- Apple did not seem to dwell too much on this), and storage (if Apple sold a 128GB model, I would certainly buy one).
 

 

Well the better LTE support makes it more of a proposition in developing LTE territories such as here in the UK.  It should have been all those bands first time out though..

MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
post #118 of 140

I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. Any proof that people are lining up to buy the Surface because it is proven to be faster than iPad 3? That line of reasoning is not reasonable at all. I'd like to say this was a matter of streamlining manufacturing, but the A6X ≠ A6. And don't forget they are calling this a new generation iPad. There is more to this than meets the eye. But we may never find out why.

post #119 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

You might end up with a refurbished model.

 

You WILL get a refurbished model. If you didn't everyone would be doing it.
post #120 of 140
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. 

 

They've just taken the Surface from a "Well… maybe…" purchase to a "Pshh, ha! Like I'd buy that with THIS available!" purhcase.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera