or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

post #1 of 279
Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller took the wraps off the much-anticipated iPad mini on Tuesday, with the new device featuring a 7.9-inch display, a slim and lightweight 7.2 mm body and a starting price point of $329 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model.

GPS
Apple's new iPad mini fits in the palm of your hand.

Features

At 7.2-millimeters thin, Schiller said the iPad mini is as "thin as a pencil," and tips the scales at a slight 0.68 pounds. In comparison to the newly-announced fourth-generation iPad, the mini weighs 68 percent less, light enough to be carried easily in one hand. It seems that Apple intends this is the way most people will interact with the small form factor tablet, especially given the new automatic scrolling mode in iBooks that basically allows for hands-free reading.

GPS

GPS

Schiller boasted that the device can be held with one hand, as it features a thinner bezel on the sides.

As for colorways, the iPad mini takes its cues from the iPhone 5, and is available in black and white colors. Like Apple newest handset, the 7.9-inch tablet features "black and slate" and "white and silver" options, the former featuring an anodized back shell, the first time an iPad's aluminum has been colored.

GPS

Because the mini's display has the exact resolution of the iPad 2, it can access more than 275,000 applications written for the iPad platform. A number of side-by-side shots of the iPad 2 and the iPad mini running various iPad-centric apps illustrated there was no interpolation going on, and the smaller unit's display is noticeably sharper.

The iPad mini's internals feature an A5 chip, FaceTime HD camera, 5-megapixel iSight camera, LTE connectivity, faster Wi-Fi, and the new Lightning connector. It also features what SVP of Industrial Design Jony Ive calls the single thinnest battery cell Apple has ever used, boasting 10 hours battery life to match the fourth-generation iPad.

Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi is built in and supports channel bonding to reach download speeds of up to 150 Mbps. As for cellular data LTE is offered out of the box, along with GSM/UMTS protocols HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA. Mobile hotspot functionality is also an option, though pricing and availability depend on carriers.

Also high up on the list of features is Siri functionality, something that even the 9.7-inch iPad 2 still lacks. The mini can tap in to Apple's virtual assistant over Wi-Fi or cellular data and offers the same functionality as its iPhone and full-size iPad counterparts.

In a comparison with the Nexus 7, Schiller noted that the iPad mini is made of metal and comfortable to hold in one hand. The iPad mini also has a larger 7.9-inch display that gives 29.6 square inches of space, compared to just 21.9 square inches for the Nexus 7.

GPS

"The iPad mini is actually over a third larger display area," Schiller said.

When Android controls are taken into account, the display area of a website is 49 percent larger on the iPad mini in portrait as well. And in landscape orientation, the iPad mini offers 67 percent more screen real estate.

GPS

He also compared what the Yelp application looks like on the iPad mini, designed specifically for tablets. In contrast, the Android-based Nexus 7 features an application written for smaller smartphone screens.

GPS

It also has its own entirely new Smart Cover that does not have a separate aluminum hinge like those made for the full-sized iPads, and is made of just one material.

Pricing & availability

iPad mini with Wi-Fi models will be available in black & slate or white & silver on Friday, Nov. 2, for a suggested retail price of $329 (US) for the 16GB model, $429 (US) for the 32GB model and $529 (US) for the 64GB model.

iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular will start shipping a couple of weeks after the Wi-Fi models, beginning in the US with partner carrers AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Pricing for the Cellular models will start at $459 (US) for the 16GB model, $559 (US) for the 32GB model and $659 (US) for the 64GB model.

GPS

GPS

GPS

Customers can begin pre-ordering all models of iPad mini on Friday, Oct. 26 through the Apple Online Store in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Preorders for the iPad mini, along with the new fourth-generation iPad, will begin this Friday. The Wi-Fi-only model will launch a week later, with the cellular-capable model to follow.
post #2 of 279

"…we'd love to, but we don't have enough time…"

… Why? It's your event. Is Apple being shooed out of the theater because they have to get ready for a play tonight?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #3 of 279
Apple delivered in this keynote! Amazing!
I'm actually more impressed with the iPad Mini than with the iMac. I think the Mac could have been made fatter but without the chin. The design is nice, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. The price is very good though!

The iPad looks great. I actually prefer that size over the bigger iPad. It looks just like a PADD in Star Trek. The slimmer bezels fit it better so that the screen occupies more space in proportion.
post #4 of 279

Today's keynote was really, really bad news for the competition. 

post #5 of 279

I don't like the $329 price point.  $279 or $249 would have been better.  Its the exact same as the iPod Touch for $130 more (for 32gb)- larger, but non-retina screen is the only difference.

Edit: I still think it will sell like freakin' hotcakes.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #6 of 279

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

post #7 of 279

Perhaps $229 next year like how the iPad drops $100 for the last gen.  Being non-retina and an A5 that should be more than doable.

Going to buy one but probably iMac now then iPad 4 and iPad Mini for Xmas around black friday.

post #8 of 279

Anyone who's thinking of buying the iPad mini will likely be disappointed come next March, when Apple will release iPad mini 2nd gen with much better internals. Right now, it's still A5, that's just rediculous, it's a processor 2 generations behind! It'll be outdated quickly, and with a lot of competition on the 7-inch space, Apple, will have to upgrade it in March'13 for sure.

I'd hold off buying it for $329 right now. The 4th gen iPad is a much better deal.

post #9 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Anyone who's thinking of buying the iPad mini will likely be disappointed come next March, when Apple will release iPad mini 2nd gen with much better internals. Right now, it's still A5, that's just rediculous, it's a processor 2 generations behind! It'll be outdated quickly, and with a lot of competition on the 7-inch space, Apple, will have to upgrade it in March'13 for sure.

I'd hold off buying it for $329 right now. The 4th gen iPad is a much better deal.

I wonder if they didn't just move the ipad to an october cycle...no ipad update until spring 2014?  That doesn't seem likely.  Another full sized iPad update in six months?  That doesn't seem likely either.  Go to an ARM A15 based A7 processor?

post #10 of 279
Quote:

That's an understatement.  Absolutely incredible deal.  The iPad 2 is by far the worst of the 3 in terms of value.  Unfortunately- the form factor of the 9.7 just isn't appealing to some people (like me- I have an iPad 2 that is now 2 years old... I can go pay $329 to get the exact same thing, just smaller w/ better wifi).

post #11 of 279

i agree with most. the $329 is just not a good price.

post #12 of 279

The only difference on 4th gen is cpu and lightning port.  Small engineering change really.  Still leaves room for something in the spring.

post #13 of 279
Wall Street doesn't seem to like the $329 price point. I was hoping they could hit $299. And really wish they wouldn't have compared it directly to the Nexus 7. Bad move Apple. Shame too because the device looks really sweet. But all the focus will be on comparing it to the Nexus 7 and calling it a rip off. 1oyvey.gif
post #14 of 279

Many of us have guessed between 299 and 349 :)
at $329 they are just killing the iPad2 anyways. The mini is much more attractive for cheaper price, if you wanted to buy a non-retina iPad.

The only question is how comfortable is the virtual keyboard on the smaller screen.

post #15 of 279

Well so much for the 8 gb, thank god.  I do wish they would put GPS in the non cellular versions though.

post #16 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I actually enjoyed this keynote far more than the iPhone keynote. Everything introduced is fantastic. The iPad mini at $329 could have demolished the Android tablets if it was $249 but it will still sell like crazy. Sucks to be an iPad 3 owner with the new iPad 4 out 5 months early (based on a yearly cycle) but that's the technology game.

I'm not at all disappointed with my iPad 3. I'll probably upgrade next year. They apparently wanted all the iPads released together in time for the holiday season, and it will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Mini looks great. I'm definitely getting a cellular version in white.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #17 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wall Street doesn't seem to like the $329 price point. I was hoping they could hit $299. And really wish they wouldn't have compared it directly to the Nexus 7. Bad move Apple. Shame too because the device looks really sweet. But all the focus will be on comparing it to the Nexus 7 and calling it a rip off. 1oyvey.gif

Who cares about Wall Street or bottom feeder Nexus buyers? Phil went out of his way to show you why buying a Nexus is just wasting your money.

post #18 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Many of us have guessed between 299 and 349 1smile.gif

at $329 they are just killing the iPad2 anyways. The mini is much more attractive for cheaper price, if you wanted to buy a non-retina iPad.

The only question is how comfortable is the virtual keyboard on the smaller screen.

iPad 2 is still $399- they killed the 3....

post #19 of 279
I only saw the live blog but did he really boast as one of the features "left and right speakers" ?
post #20 of 279

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 sucks even at 7.9" and especially so at $329. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 to $130 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad 3 isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

Edited by Cpsro - 10/23/12 at 12:04pm
post #21 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

comparing it to an android device?

post #22 of 279
I think this will sell like crazy. I am buying one.
post #23 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not at all disappointed with my iPad 3. I'll probably upgrade next year. They apparently wanted all the iPads released together in time for the holiday season, and it will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Mini looks great. I'm definitely getting a cellular version in white.

I'm thinking Mini in black: the edge sort of disappears with the black. I'd gone back and forth with the iPad 3 and settled on black and noticed that effect. For me anyway. Thought being a white edge would be a more visual "frame"? 

Though certainly a possible over think.

And yes, cellular is a nice benefit with all the traveling I get dragged to.

post #24 of 279

Lot's of great announcements at this event!

The iPad mini is almost perfect for what I wanted, only improvement would be a retina display as far as I am concerned. I'll be preordering friday!!

That 13" Macbook Pro Retina version looks awful tempting also, just need more moneys!!

post #25 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPad 2 is still $399- they killed the 3....

I meant "not officially" killed it. But if the virtual keyboard doesn't suck, mini is better choice.
And it even threatens the new iPod Touch.

post #26 of 279
For $329 I would expect a retina display. For me at this point, with any new Apple hardware, no retina = no sale.
post #27 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm thinking Mini in black: the edge sort of disappears with the black. I'd gone back and forth with the iPad 3 and settled on black and noticed that effect. For me anyway. Thought being a white edge would be a more visual "frame"? 

People have said that black is better for reading, but I am not going to be reading for long periods of time with the mini and I don't like the black anodized back so much. I have a black iPad 3 and a white iPhone 5.

post #28 of 279
I was hoping $299 price point, but $329 is doable. As for those saying, just get an iPod.. umm,, thats not even a question.. iPod Touch is much smaller and not designed to run iPad apps.. It's the iPad Apps, 7.9" size thin/weight that will get MANY.. It's designed to complete against Kindle/Nook, not iPod mp3 players.

You know, those who use the device to READ or browse internet w/o squinting.. lol - Not everyone has 20/20 vision like you young bucks..
post #29 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double0Diablo View Post

For $329 I would expect a retina display. For me at this point, with any new Apple hardware, no retina = no sale.

This. $329 should've been retina.

The iPod touch is same exact hardware, 32gb, and retina. And the mini is more? The iPod touch is either overpriced or the mini is. Y'all pick.

post #30 of 279

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"

post #31 of 279

Refurb prices on the iPad 3 are now $379! 

I'm also betting on another refresh in 6 months so they can keep the product cycle the same as it was before. They should have events all year round to keep the Apple machine going

post #32 of 279
Quote:

Quote:

That's an understatement.  Absolutely incredible deal.  The iPad 2 is by far the worst of the 3 in terms of value.  Unfortunately- the form factor of the 9.7 just isn't appealing to some people (like me- I have an iPad 2 that is now 2 years old... I can go pay $329 to get the exact same thing, just smaller w/ better wifi).

Actually, the iPad 2 is better at some graphics/display-intensive things than the iPad 3...  Maps 3D Flyover performs more than twice as fast on my iPad 2 than on my iPad 3.   I think the iPad 2 is a better balance of CPU, GPU and Display Resolution.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #33 of 279
Quote:

I don't like the $329 price point.  $279 or $249 would have been better.  Its the exact same as the iPod Touch for $130 more (for 32gb)- larger, but non-retina screen is the only difference.

Edit: I still think it will sell like freakin' hotcakes.

They had to make a choice: Retina at a lower price point than the full-size or non-Retina and they made the right choice with lower entry, non-retina to silence the press over screen size differences not worth the price and you know that would have happened.

post #34 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And yes, cellular is a nice benefit with all the traveling I get dragged to.

I usually prefer white, but I am getting black. I will get the $429 model for the GPS capability. 

post #35 of 279

I think Apple missed out on the psychological 299 mark. This is essentially a smaller iPad 2 (A5, 1024..) which as of now is 2 generations old. I think you really have to be set on the smaller size to buy it. For now, I don't see it killing the lower priced Kindles like I had hoped. Phil seemed a bit butt-hurt over the Nexus 7, didn't need to give it that much of their stage time. Ironically it's not exactly Google's problem Pandora, Yelp, etc don't optimize their Android apps for tablets, the APIs are there. It's fair to say to experience is terrible, but making fun of the developers who write your own iOS apps seems odd to me.

I'm happy for the new new iPad (4?). Gives me a reason to upgrade my 2 without waiting for Spring. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #36 of 279

I think they probably had $300 as the target price during development but just weren't able to hit that price and maintain the lower-end of their preferred margins. I am guessing we'll see it drop by or before gen 2. Or retina first, not sure if they will do both. 

I know it hards to compete on price again companies willing to lose money on each device (Fire HD, Kindle 7) but this will be one of the tougher categories for them to enter with those players setting the bar so low on price and high(ish) on specs. 

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #37 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Ironically it's not exactly Google's problem Pandora, Yelp, etc don't optimize their Android apps for tablets, the APIs are there. 

I guess they don't have the incentive to update their Android apps since 91% of the traffic they are getting is from iOS.

post #38 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

The $329 price is a little more than I was hoping, but I doubt there will be any discounting before Christmas.  When was the last time that happened, especially with an iOS device?  Its $329 or get the Nexus 7.  

Edit:  I did forget about Apple's Black Friday sale.  Maybe on that one day.

post #39 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 resolution sucks even at 7.9" and especially at $329 base price. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

The Fire HD is $130 less.

post #40 of 279
It's all about the user experience. If this product is as enjoyable to use as a larger IPad, it begs the question, why even have the bigger iPad.

Even if the user experience is only marginally diminished due to the smaller screen, the advantages of a smaller form factor would cause this to become the model of choice for most consumers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329