or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329 - Page 5

post #161 of 279
Jacqui from arstechnica.com said the iPad mini feels different than the regular iPad. Se said if felt "cheaper"' but I'm wondering if they figured out a way to make the aluminum more durable and scratch resistant and that's why it feels different?

So far every initial impression I've seen from the tech sites love these products, just not the price of the mini. I hope Apple didn't make a mistake by not eating the $30.
post #162 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by csdigitalworks View Post
…a two generation old processor…

 

NOT two generations old. One generation old.

 

Tallest Skil......

 

A5X & A6X, by anyone's math that's 2

 

post #163 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't like the $329 price point.  $279 or $249 would have been better.  Its the exact same as the iPod Touch for $130 more (for 32gb)- larger, but non-retina screen is the only difference.

Edit: I still think it will sell like freakin' hotcakes.

Someone shopping for the miniaturization of a touch is not shopping for a mini, and visa versa.
Miniaturization is its own premium.
post #164 of 279
Originally Posted by csdigitalworks View Post
A5X & A6X, by anyone's math that's 2

 

Except no. The A5 and the A5X are the same processor. The A6 and A6X are the same processor. The difference is the GPU cores. You will never see an iPhone with an A5X or A6X. They just don't need them. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #165 of 279
I would prefer a 299 price point but the mini really is a good quality product. My expectation was the ipad 2 specs in a very light package and we got just that.

The device is perfect for its intended usage.

Edit: Actually the iPad mini does have better internals than the ipad2. It shares the A5 with it, but everything else has been upgrade (cameras, LTE,...)
Edited by herbapou - 10/23/12 at 5:11pm
post #166 of 279
If you had kept up with the news you would have heard that Steve was completely on board with iPad Mini. Do not confuse a few comments during a marketing session as policy or even somebodies vision. Frankly I'm not sure where all this garbage come from, most likely ignorant people stirring the pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"
post #167 of 279

I am really curious if they have done anything to address glare on the screen.  Find a solution for that and this will be an amazing reading device!

No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
Reply
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
Reply
post #168 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except no. The A5 and the A5X are the same processor. The A6 and A6X are the same processor. The difference is the GPU cores. You will never see an iPhone with an A5X or A6X. They just don't need them. 

Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #169 of 279
The one only ignorance here is the idea that ppi is the only important parameter when it comes to buying a new device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLeuer View Post

It can't be understated how wrong it is that the mini will ship with a 1024x768 display. Apple created the Retina ideal, they marketed it, they made it something people expect in their devices. Now Apple's closest competitor is absolutely blowing them away on the all important PPI measure. Forget that the iPad mini can't touch the Nexus 7, in a week Google's 10 inch Nexus tablet is going to embarrass the actually-"Retina" iPad as well. The last figure I read was 2560x1600 and >300 PPI. What makes me sad is that consumers won't the glaring omission in the iPad mini, because of the cache Apple built for itself and because most people are generally ignorant.
post #170 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I wonder if they didn't just move the ipad to an october cycle...no ipad update until spring 2014?  That doesn't seem likely.  Another full sized iPad update in six months?  That doesn't seem likely either.  Go to an ARM A15 based A7 processor?
Agreed on the cycle date. I have an iPad 3rd gen and I'm happy with it and also if the cycle date is moved to October... Or I given the iPad a minor upgrade now and come next year a major update for the iPad?
post #171 of 279
Quote:

You're going to look like a right tit come Xmas lol.gif

 

No, he looks like that right now.  Apple will sell every single one of these they can build between now and Xmas.

 

IMO this is more desirable than the iPad 2 they were still selling millions of them for $399 with zero advertising.

 

They won't be able to keep Minis on the shelf until 2013.

post #172 of 279

When Apple does their pricing right it always causes one agony deciding which model.  At $329 for mini, $399 for iPad 2, and $499 iPad Retina, I'd say they got it right.

 

It does cause me agony and in the end they up sell me.   I think the mini will be fine for a lot of people for which its fits their needs . However, I'm glad they also announced the 4th Gen iPad Retina with A6X; That is the one which meets my needs.

 

 I've tried 7" tablet before and they leave a lot to be desired for my use case (reading comic books, magazines, news papers). They are barely more useful then an iPhone with Retina.   As others have said before, "..people dont want tablets, they want iPads".  I'm not sure if I'd call the iPad mini an iPad.  Its a different use case.  One which does not fit my needs like the original iPad.  As tempting a the price is, it wont meet my needs and I'm going to get the original sized Retina 4th Gen iPad.  Damn those Apple marketing guys.. they always do this to me! 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #173 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.

I dont see an error in what he wrote.  He said the Core processor is the same.  The GPU is different.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #174 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.

 

You're just being an idiot and won't admit that you were wrong in the first place.  If the "A5X" was a different generation from the "A5" then they would have called it the "A6" (different generation get it?).  The very fact that they used the "x" means that it's a modified chip of the same generation.  

post #175 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I dont see an error in what he wrote.  He said the Core processor is the same.  The GPU is different.

And are those GPU cores within the CPU? And are they not processors as well?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #176 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....
We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....
But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.
You know "Cult Of Mac", right?
They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".
Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.
The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.
Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.
At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....


And I agree.
Wholeheartadly.
I looks nice & all, but $330?!?
NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.
Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.
You'll see.

 

 

Yes, but you are asking Apple to play a game it can't win. A Dell versus HP race to the bottom type of game. We can all disagree about the magic price point, but for Apple to go lower in price, it has to give something up. As a business it makes money on the sale of the hardware. It isn't Amazon that locks users into an account scheme in hopes of making a profit on content. It isn't Google that collects your information, and uses that to target ads to you and also tries to make money on content sales. Google and Amazon can sell the device at break even. That is not Apple's business model. It offers a premium product. 

 

There are already people claiming Apple should have included the A6 processor and a Retina Display for LESS money than $329. These people aren't putting things in perspective. Currently, for $140 more Apple provides its customers with a metal enclosure (versus the Nexus 7's cheap plastic), 16GB of Ram (as opposed to the Nexus 7's 8 GBs of RAM), and 2 cameras including a 5 MB rear facing camera (as opposed to the Nexus 7's mere front facing camera).

 

Perhaps, to come closer to the Nexus 7 price you want Apple to  give up 8 GBs of Ram, the metal enclosure, and the 5GB rear facing camera. I, for one, will pay the extra money for a better quality and more usable product. 

 

You watch, Apple will announce a week or two after the product is offered blow out sales. Six months from now Apple can give the product an update. 

post #177 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


But its another processor, doesn't matter if its a minor bump of the previous one, which being twice as fast as the old one isn't a minor bump you know.

 

You said "generation" which means a specific thing.  In this case, a "5x" is still of the same generation as a "5."

post #178 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The one only ignorance here is the idea that ppi is the only important parameter when it comes to buying a new device.

 

 

I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

post #179 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

My tablet is always in a leather case/stand.  I never get to see any plastic.  I only care about aluminum in my car!

 

 

Well I certainly respect your view, but I don't share it. Apple apparently thinks the same way I do. Aluminum is 1) more durable 2) weighs less, 3) prettier, 4) more environmentally friendly, 5) can be made thinner, and 6) helps preserve the resale value better. I for one don't use a case on my iPad. 

post #180 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....
We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....
But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.
You know "Cult Of Mac", right?
They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".
Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.
The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.
Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.
At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....

And I agree.
Wholeheartadly.
I looks nice & all, but $330?!?
NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.
Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.
You'll see.

Yeah that 10% price difference will make all the difference! Come on, what planet are you people from.
post #181 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You said "generation" which means a specific thing.  In this case, a "5x" is still of the same generation as a "5."

I stand corrected but it's nonetheless 2 processors behind.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #182 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

The Fire HD is $130 less.

The fire HD is smaller and slower. A better comparison is the Fire HD 8.9" which is bigger with a similar processor and still $30 less.
post #183 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


And are those GPU cores within the CPU? And are they not processors as well?

dude, have you considered a career as a political spin writer? wow.. seriously? I guess there is no need to continue.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #184 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #185 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

Yes, but you are asking Apple to play a game it can't win. A Dell versus HP race to the bottom type of game. We can all disagree about the magic price point, but for Apple to go lower in price, it has to give something up. As a business it makes money on the sale of the hardware. It isn't Amazon that locks users into an account scheme in hopes of making a profit on content. It isn't Google that collects your information, and uses that to target ads to you and also tries to make money on content sales. Google and Amazon can sell the device at break even. That is not Apple's business model. It offers a premium product. 

 

There are already people claiming Apple should have included the A6 processor and a Retina Display for LESS money than $329. These people aren't putting things in perspective. Currently, for $140 more Apple provides its customers with a metal enclosure (versus the Nexus 7's cheap plastic), 16GB of Ram (as opposed to the Nexus 7's 8 GBs of RAM), and 2 cameras including a 5 MB rear facing camera (as opposed to the Nexus 7's mere front facing camera).

 

Perhaps, to come closer to the Nexus 7 price you want Apple to  give up 8 GBs of Ram, the metal enclosure, and the 5GB rear facing camera. I, for one, will pay the extra money for a better quality and more usable product. 

 

You watch, Apple will announce a week or two after the product is offered blow out sales. Six months from now Apple can give the product an update. 

you get what you pay for.  The price is quite fair for what you get. Its not a steal against full sized iPad by any means. Which is a good thing. Its positioned well against the full sized iPad and causes people some pause.   I get the same feeling when its time to buy a Mac.  So their pricing strategy makes sense. 


Edited by snova - 10/23/12 at 5:17pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #186 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

dude, have you considered a career as a political spin writer? wow.. seriously? I guess there is no need to continue.

Ah years and years of spin doctoring practice with my girlfriends lol.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #187 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

At this point I think they are totally banking on holiday sales and I'm guessing they will sell all 10 million they ordered. Once the word of mouth effect kicks in, it will start to really gain momentum. Even if there is an early refresh the market will absorb all of the original iPad mini hand me downs and resales just like it did with the original iPad. Six months, one year, it makes no difference.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #188 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

At this point I think they are totally banking on holiday sales and I'm guessing they will sell all 10 million they ordered. Once the word of mouth effect kicks in, it will start to really gain momentum. Even if there is an early refresh the market will absorb all of the original iPad mini hand me downs and resales just like it did with the original iPad. Six months, one year, it makes no difference.

Not in my case and I guarantee I'm not alone.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #189 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin
The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

For $329 it has to be an A6. Not asking a lot here. No retina display is fine. But, throwing in A5 kills the deal. Not because the dual A5 is slow but we have moved into A6 era.
Edited by Smartcat - 10/23/12 at 5:33pm
post #190 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

At this point I think they are totally banking on holiday sales and I'm guessing they will sell all 10 million they ordered. Once the word of mouth effect kicks in, it will start to really gain momentum. Even if there is an early refresh the market will absorb all of the original iPad mini hand me downs and resales just like it did with the original iPad. Six months, one year, it makes no difference.

Not in my case and I guarantee I'm not alone.

You snooze you lose. (or luz, looz, not sure) as someone was complaining earlier that people don't know how to spell. If you don't pre-order you will likely be standing in line.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #191 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.

Different but the same generation. Both are Cortex A9 based with a 543 based GPU.

The A6s are "A15 class" also with a 543 based GPU and the next gen.

The clue for any rational person is the x in the Ax denotes a generation.

The A4 is two generations old.
post #192 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Other things no one has brought up yet ...

- not one "hands on" that I've seen mentions anything about the smaller bezels (is it harder to pick up or hold? yes? No?)
- no reviewers mention one of the most obvious things ... thumb typing in portrait mode.  (works?  Yes? No?)

Jaqui at Ars said you can thumb type in portrait on the mini about as well as on the iPhone.

No one has commented that it is harder to hold so I'm guessing its not an issue.
post #193 of 279
Still happy with my Nexus 7. Significantly higher ppi screen and it fits in my jacket pocket. And a whopping 25% cheaper, not including the Play Store credit.

How ironic that Apple is now pushing screen size over ppi.

Best part of this announcement? iPad 3 price cuts. I bought two 32GB iPads.
post #194 of 279
Cult of Mac has an interesting blog post on the iPad. Basically questioning what the pitch was. And I have to agree I was very baffled at the way Schiller was pitching this product. One minute talking about how you can easily use it with one hand the next minute talking about how it's so much better than smaller tablets because of the larger real estate. And why spend so much time comparing it to the Nexus 7 when it's a lot more expensive? Clearly Apple views it as a superior device hence the higher price point. But where was the compelling pitch to justify the price? In the Verge's review of the device they say it makes the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire feel like toys. Why didn't Schiller spend more time talking up the build quality of the device? Yeah he threw out a reference to aluminum vs plastic but he didn't spend much time on it. The bigget pitch he made was its great for web browsing. Where was the focus on education or textbooks? How about some textbook or other amazing app demos? I think this could be a very compelling device I just didn't get the pitch. In fact I'm seeing on the web and twitter a lot of people saying the star of the show today was the new iMac, not the iPad mini. I'm not sure that was what Apple intended.
post #195 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorst View Post

There was no way Apple could include retina display with a resolution that is compatible for the current application. They had to double the resolution (compared to iPad2) to make it compatible, which is even a higher pixel density then the iPhone Retina. All ipad apps with the Mini are 100% compatible and optimized for the screen area. Most Andriod apps are stretched phone application because they need to be compatible with many different size tablets. The iPad mini pixel density is higher then the iPad 1 and 2. You maybe positive surprised by this.

Also I can't figure out why people can't see what great software they produce for iPad (eduction, text books, music instrument apps, music, ibook store etc, iCloud, email solution, iPhoto, iMovie etc). Not talking about the super quality hardware (aluminum back, very stable hardware and OS, etc)

 

Good post. I wasn't expecting a Retina display, and if it had one then extra graphics cores would have been needed to drive four times the number of pixels. This warms the iPad 3 - not intolerably so, but it has been noted, and has increased power draw. With the mini using a smaller enclosure and a smaller battery to keep weight down, there would have been compromises here.

 

I was hoping for an A6 though.

 

Price is OK for Wifi models, but I expect the price premium for 3G/4G on Android devices may make Apple's extra $129 look embarrassing.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


There was the A6 and now there's the A6X so it is in fact 2 generations old
 

Nope. That's not a generation the A6X the same architecture and speed for general tasks as the A6. The X is for extra graphic cores needed for a large Retina display.

post #196 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Maybe. But Apple products are starting to have A LOT of overlap, now that they've kept:

iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (4th gen), iPad 2 (9.7"), the iPod Classic, MacBook Pro (non-Retina). I was pretty sure Apple was going to thin things out, but they're just one step removed from consumer confusion.

Yeah, that was one interesting and meaningful stat Tim Cook didn't state:  Apple now has more SKU's than ever before - or least since Jobs returned and slashed the number to rebuild the company from scratch.  And in fact this is probably the first time I can't identify and price the entire hardware line without looking it up. And it's arguable that the simplicity - and "graspibility" of their line-up has been part of their marketing success when the competition still cluelessly releases their XD7800HDpx's and whatnots....

So the question is, will this be about the max (until they release some whole new device class), or can we expect to see a gradually but continually growing number of products coming with an Apple logo? Or conversely, if they cut their costs on retina notebook screens, no 'tweener less expensive MBpros?

PS: The whining about the "early" upgrade of the iPad to gen 4 is related - I like to see the newest stuff released as soon as possible, but there was some comfort in knowing you wouldn't be obsoleted in less than a year in most of their products.  

Bottom line: Success across the whole line and fast-as-feasible new tech execution are variables that can introduce their own challenges for the company and its customers.  But there are far worse problems to have.  Just ask RIM or Nokia.....

 

But for those discomfited, I imagine Gazelle is delighted at all of today's iOS related announcements.   I.e., if you have a "new iPad" and sell it (on your own for more or painlessly through a service like theirs), you can stay current for a fraction of the price of the specc'd up successor device.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
Amazon's ambition is tiny compared to Apple's. Everyone makes it out to be something that contends with Apple... not even close. Their entire ecosystem (hardware, software, content) is mostly US based. Apple is all over the world. If ecosystems were islands, Amazon would be Iceland and Apple would be Greenland.

More like Amazon as Iceland and Apple as Europe...  ...Greenland always looks bigger than it is  on flat (Mercator projection?) maps...

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #197 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....
We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....
But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.
You know "Cult Of Mac", right?
They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".
Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.
The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.
Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.
At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....


And I agree.
Wholeheartadly.
I looks nice & all, but $330?!?
NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.
Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.
You'll see.

Go back to your basement, silly man. (Clearly, that's where you must live -- in your mom's house -- if you can't afford $30 for the incredible quality that Apple offers relative to the pathetic lay of the land that passes for 'competition.')


Edited by anantksundaram - 10/23/12 at 6:26pm
post #198 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

 

If you want or need to buy something, you can only buy what's available now (what's in the wagon) in salesman-speak... you decide what best does the job and go with that decision..

 

If Apple catered to someone like you who dithers rather than decides -- they'd never sell anything!


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 10/23/12 at 6:44pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #199 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin
The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

For $329 it has to be an A6. Not asking a lot here. No retina display is fine. But, throwing in A5 kills the deal. Not because the dual A5 is slow but we have moved into A6 era.

 

 

That makes no sense at all as the A6 is overkill for the device...

 

Put another way... are you willing to pay $379 for a 16 GB mini with an A6?

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #200 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you want or need to buy something, you can only buy what's available now (what's in the wagon) in salesman-speak... you decide what best does the job and go with that decision..

If Apple catered to someone like you who dithers rather than decides -- they'd never sell anything!

How many "deciders" did they piss off today? I don't mind deciding I just don't want my device abandoned after 6 months.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329