or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329 - Page 6

post #201 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Yeah that 10% price difference will make all the difference! Come on, what planet are you people from.

And that extra 9/10 of a cent you pay per gallon of gas just rounds down and falls off the page.
What planet are you from? I do marketing for a living- not that that makes me a guru or expert, but to suggest price points don't affect emotional responses or mental blocks is insane. The jump from 299 to 329 is nothing- but it's everything. I'm sure apple weighed out what they would lose in sales with the extra $30 compared to the lower margins at the $299. They might be right, they might be wrong. No one will ever know- but they're pretty smart folks over in Cupertino.
But again- to suggest its "just 10%" is simplifying it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #202 of 279
Anybody complaining about plastic on Nexus 7 hasn't used one. Everyone thought it was leather or rubber when it first came out. I love the feel of it. And the durability. I've dropped mine from waist height on to ceramic floors. Twice. And on to hardwood while falling asleep in bed holding it. Not a scratch.

You can bet that I won't be touching my new iPads until there's a case on there.

For the price charged, it's a phenomenal value.

And then there's portability. The Nexus 7 fits in my jacket pockets. And my jeans pockets. And I'm a normal sized male. I'm curious to see where the iPad mini fits on that scale.

The only valid complaint against the Nexus 7 is the poor quality of tablet apps on Android. Hardware and value? No way.
post #203 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How many "deciders" did they piss off today? I don't mind deciding I just don't want my device abandoned after 6 months.

The iPod Touch has always been one generation behind.   I dont recall iPod support being abandoned after 6 months from release.  Why would iPad mini be any different?  Dont hold your breath for them to put in the same bleeding edge processor as in the big brother iPad generation. It will always be one generate behind. Just like iPod touch is always one generation behind iPhone.  When the iPad goes to A7, you will see the A6 in the mini.   That I am sure.  It wont be 6 mo from now either. It will be after the iPhone 5S gets the A7.  Most likely same time next year.  


Edited by snova - 10/23/12 at 7:21pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #204 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Anybody complaining about plastic on Nexus 7 hasn't used one. Everyone thought it was leather or rubber when it first came out. I love the feel of it. And the durability. I've dropped mine from waist height on to ceramic floors. Twice. And on to hardwood while falling asleep in bed holding it. Not a scratch.

You can bet that I won't be touching my new iPads until there's a case on there.

For the price charged, it's a phenomenal value.

And then there's portability. The Nexus 7 fits in my jacket pockets. And my jeans pockets. And I'm a normal sized male. I'm curious to see where the iPad mini fits on that scale.

The only valid complaint against the Nexus 7 is the poor quality of tablet apps on Android. Hardware and value? No way.

Hey jets cool you are a Nexus fan. What kind of sales volume do you think iPad mini will do during the holiday season?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #205 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

That makes no sense at all as the A6 is overkill for the device...

 

Put another way... are you willing to pay $379 for a 16 GB mini with an A6?

 

Yes.  Are you kidding me?  I'd also pay a lot more for a 13" MBP with a GPU.

post #206 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"

How many times did he say no, but really meant no not yet, or it's not good enough yet? 

Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #207 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

Yes.  Are you kidding me?  I'd also pay a lot more for a 13" MBP with a GPU.

you are in luck. I think you can still get a 13" MBP with GPU; and even for less money.  :-P  win-win for you?

 

edit: well used maybe.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #208 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, it seems stupid to me.  I think Jobs would have eaten the $30 and said $299.  

I mean it's not *that* great and it's almost 50% more expensive than the competition.  I know they are under no pressure to lower prices and could have even made it $350 and it would still have sold, but the extra $30 seems petty to me.  

But you're looking at as an extra $30. As you note, maybe it was a drop of $20 to get to a price point that would sell out and kill off the Android market. Remember, Apple doesn't have to match their competiton 1:1 on price to beat them. They offer things their competition simply can't match and this tablet has plenty of that.

If you look at the MS Surface RT — which I think will sell better than most $199 tablets — it has a weak resolution, is designed only or landscape mode, has no apps or ecosystem, and if you want to make a notebook replacement (which seems to be their goal) you really need the 64GB at $700 plus another $130 for the Type Cover. At that price you might as well just get an ultrabook-class notebook with a Core processor.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #209 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


That makes no sense at all as the A6 is overkill for the device...

Put another way... are you willing to pay $379 for a 16 GB mini with an A6?

I wouldn't say it's overkill as it'll surely be in next year (and I think the year after that will have a 326 PPI 2048x1536 Retina display using the Rogue6 GPU) but it's silly to expect that they put that chip into this budget tablet. it's to the iPad as the Touch is to the iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #210 of 279
Refurbished iPad 16GB (3rd gen) for $379 seems like a much better bargain.
post #211 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I wouldn't say it's overkill as it'll surely be in next year (and I think the year after that will have a 326 PPI 2048x1536 Retina display using the Rogue6 GPU) but it's silly to expect that they put that chip into this budget tablet. it's to the iPad as the Touch is to the iPhone.

its become obvious that Apple is going to address low prices competitors using previous generation (or two) parts.  Free iPhone (2 generation old components), $99 iPhone (1 generation old components), Cheapest iPod Touch (2 generation old components), iPod Touch (1 generation old components).   I am going to predict that when (not if) Google and Amazon drop they price on their cheap tablets Apple will offer a 2 generation old components in the further cost reduced iPad Mini.

 

Next year expect to see the current 16GB iPad Mini (A5 CPU) for $229 or $199.   With A6 CPU and 16GB, $329 or $299.  Call me on it.


Edited by snova - 10/23/12 at 7:51pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #212 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Refurbished iPad 16GB (3rd gen) for $379 seems like a much better bargain.

I'm not so sure.  That ~$100 gets you one year more of life support and resale value.   Kind of like iPhone 4S vs 5.  Yeah its $100 cheaper.. but...

I don't believe in bargains.. you get what you pay for.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #213 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I'm not so sure.  That ~$100 gets you one year more of life support and resale value.   Kind of like iPhone 4S vs 5.  Yeah its $100 cheaper.. but...

I don't believe in bargains.. you get what you pay for.

 

Last time I checked, $379 - $329 = $50. It's a $50 difference between the refurbished iPad 3 and the iPad mini and you get:

 

A5X processor with better graphics.

Retina Display (after having a Retina display iPad, I can't go back)

 

And it still comes with a one-year warranty.

 

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad3

post #214 of 279
So what do those other "popular" Android-based tablets weigh and how thick are they compared to the iPad mini?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #215 of 279

So developers don't NEED to rewrite their apps for the 20% smaller screen. I agree it should work quite well. But is Apple going to offer a different screen size option for developers who want to offer slight differences on the Mini? Do their own apps (mail, calendar etc) all just scale down or were they adjusted?

 

Also does it just double the resolution of an iPhone app now like the iPad 2 does, but reduce the size 80%? Currently the double size doesn't quite fill the whole iPad2's screen (and it doubles the SD app rather than the retina app) - so there's potential to use the retina version and perform some scaling (at a performance penalty). Then again - it's increasing the app's screen size, so only being 90% bigger really isn't a big deal. The double resolution of retina apps, when double-sized on the non-retina screen, would be good though.

 

I haven't seen the above mentioned anywhere... so interested if anyone has heard or seen!

post #216 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No one will ever know

Really?

 

That's a laughable assertion. Check back with us when the numbers come out in January, will ya?

post #217 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

 

Last time I checked, $379 - $329 = $50. It's a $50 difference between the refurbished iPad 3 and the iPad mini and you get:

 

A5X processor with better graphics.

Retina Display (after having a Retina display iPad, I can't go back)

 

And it still comes with a one-year warranty.

 

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad3

Your math is better than mine. I was actually talking rough figures between iPad 3 gen and iPad 4 and referring to length of iOS support not warranty.   Full sized iPad  and iPad mini are not cross shop-able in my book. They are not in the same use case category for me.  Of course they may be for you.  

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #218 of 279
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL
That says it all for today.

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply
post #219 of 279

This thing will sell like crazy in Hong Kong, Japan, and Korea. This will make sales seem even better than you'll expect. I don't see these selling out like crazy but I do think they'll sell really well. You can walk in to any Apple Store in Dallas right now and pick up an iPhone 5 so it's not like those are just crazy out of stock like people think. Still the best selling phone ever, though.

post #220 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL
That says it all for today.

 

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EDJI

 

That says it all for Apple's stock. I don't believe the stock went down because of this product announcement. Do investors really think this product won't sell like crazy? No way.

post #221 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Your math is better than mine. I was actually talking rough figures between iPad 3 gen and iPad 4 and referring to length of iOS support not warranty.   Full sized iPad  and iPad mini are not cross shop-able in my book. They are not in the same use case category for me.  Of course they may be for you.  

The way I see it, neither one is going to fit in my pants or coat pocket, so they'll need to be carried in a bag. So for that reason alone, they fit into the same usage scenario for me personally.

And given the size of the iPad mini, why wouldn't I just reach for my iPhone 5 instead?
post #222 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EDJI

That says it all for Apple's stock. I don't believe the stock went down because of this product announcement. Do investors really think this product won't sell like crazy? No way.
I quit trying to find logic in the fluctuations of Apple' stock. Last Friday it was down almost 4%, then Monday it goes up 4% and then today it's back down almost 4%. The stock fluctuates a lot irrespective of product.
post #223 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


The way I see it, neither one is going to fit in my pants or coat pocket, so they'll need to be carried in a bag. So for that reason alone, they fit into the same usage scenario for me personally.
And given the size of the iPad mini, why wouldn't I just reach for my iPhone 5 instead?

I agree with you about the pocket issue and reaching for iPHone 5 instead of mini.  

The full sized iPad retina in my opinion gives you are much more pleasant usage for working with for large static layout media like Magazines, Comic books and certain web pages which have lots of content. I hate constantly using pinch and zoom on my iPhone and my 7" Nook Color (rooted with Gingerbread). Its do-able but very cumbersome and gets old fast.  Not only for visibility but also for workable touch resolution to choose the desired screen touch areas (such as links).  I primarily use Apps on my iPhone and avoid browsing non iPhone optimized web pages with it like the plague.  I would gladly pay for an AppleInsider App for the iPhone for forums! Who here uses their iPhone for the forum? Who has tried a 7" device?  I have.. it sucks big time. 

 

The full sized iPad is "ok" for browsing normal web pages (including posting to forums) and much more pleasant than on the iPhone or 7" Nook tablet.  The 7" Nook Color gets no use for these reasons and the Android Apps suck so no relief for my web browser issues.   The iPad mini would resolve the App issues for me but should not resolve the large layout and touch resolution issues on web pages.  I'm fairly certainly will be a similar situation as the 7" Android tablet ( PITA). This is why I will pass on the iPad mini and spend the extra money on the full sized iPad 4.  I have learned my lesson. The iPad mini will not be a bargain for me. The screen size as well a the associated touch resolution shortcomings is not worth the frustration.   

 

wise man once taught me.. don't take short cuts and skimp on good shoes.  You wear them everyday.. Aren't your feet worth the extra expense?  If you use your car, house, phone, computer or tablet everyday.. same applies IMHO.  


Edited by snova - 10/23/12 at 9:35pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #224 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I agree with you about the pocket issue and reaching for iPHone 5 instead of mini.  
The full sized iPad retina in my opinion gives you are much more pleasant usage for working with for large static layout media like Magazines, Comic books and certain web pages which have lots of content. I hate constantly using pinch and zoom on my iPhone and my 7" Nook Color (rooted with Gingerbread). Its do-able but very cumbersome and gets old fast.  Not only for visibility but also for workable touch resolution to choose the desired screen touch areas (such as links).  I primarily use Apps on my iPhone and avoid browsing non iPhone optimized web pages with it like the plague.  I would gladly pay for an AppleInsider App for the iPhone for forums! Who here uses their iPhone for the forum? Who has tried a 7" device?  I have.. it sucks big time. 

The full sized iPad is "ok" for browsing normal web pages (including posting to forums) and much more pleasant than on the iPhone or 7" Nook tablet.  The 7" Nook Color gets no use for these reasons and the Android Apps suck so no relief for my web browser issues.   The iPad mini resolves the App issues for me but does not resolve the large layout and touch resolution issues on web pages.  It will be a PITA. This is why I will pass on the iPad mini and spend the extra money on the full sized iPad 4.  I have learned my lesson. 

I browse the AI forums on my iPhone, and I don't pinch and zoom. Maybe I just have good eyesight 1smoking.gif
post #225 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

That says it all for today.

Apple stock was at $377 when Steve Jobs passed away.

Look at it now.

If the death of Apple's co-founder and leader had no ill effects on the stock price... and the stock price eventually rose a year later... imagine what more new products and record sales will do too.
post #226 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


I browse the AI forums on my iPhone, and I don't pinch and zoom. Maybe I just have good eyesight 1smoking.gif

You must.  young whipper snapper. 1wink.gif

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #227 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


Yeah that 10% price difference will make all the difference! Come on, what planet are you people from.

 

Planet Cheapskates. It's orbited by two small moons: Android and Junk.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #228 of 279
For the past couple of weeks, I've been fascinated by the pundits who thought that Apple was going to suddenly dive into the bargain bin, when the company has become a tech powerhouse by avoiding it.

I thought it would come in at $349 because I failed to take into account how Apple mixes specs and prices to make it easy for their customers to decide which product suits their needs the best.

It's really very simple: spec whores, geeks and cheapskates are not Apple's target demographic. If you're going to quibble over $30 then you're going to complain about buying cables, you're going to whine about not being able to browse files on a mobile phone and you're going to balk at paying for apps

Apple targets customers who spend money and will not change this just to destroy Android. Why? Because that would bring Android customers to Apple, and I don't Apple wants customers with a 'pay nothing' mindset.
post #229 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

For the past couple of weeks, I've been fascinated by the pundits who thought that Apple was going to suddenly dive into the bargain bin, when the company has become a tech powerhouse by avoiding it.
I thought it would come in at $349 because I failed to take into account how Apple mixes specs and prices to make it easy for their customers to decide which product suits their needs the best.
It's really very simple: spec whores, geeks and cheapskates are not Apple's target demographic. If you're going to quibble over $30 then you're going to complain about buying cables, you're going to whine about not being able to browse files on a mobile phone and you're going to balk at paying for apps
Apple targets customers who spend money and will not change this just to destroy Android. Why? Because that would bring Android customers to Apple, and I don't Apple wants customers with a 'pay nothing' mindset.

love your post.   especially the spec whores, goods, cheapskates paragraph.  What portion of Amazon Fire customers do you estimate fall into the cheapskates category? How does this compare to Google Nexus 7 customers?  I don't know too many Fire customers.. but the ones I do know have never purchased any content. Same goes for Android.  Anyone? Anyone?  Then again, I know plenty of iPhone customers who have never purchased on app either.  So maybe my only conclusion is that I know a lot of cheapskates.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #230 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

love your post.   especially the spec whores, goods, cheapskates paragraph.  What portion of Amazon Fire customers do you estimate fall into the cheapskates category? How does this compare to Google Nexus 7 customers?  I don't know too many Fire customers.. but the ones I do know have never purchased any content. Same goes for Android.  Anyone? Anyone?  Then again, I know plenty of iPhone customers who have never purchased on app either.  So maybe my only conclusion is that I know a lot of cheapskates.

 

Agree Rayz post nailed it. I also expected a $350 price.  I don't have a tablet, but a few of my friends have 7" tablets, not because 7" is ideal, but because they were cheap. The have Android and RIM Playbook tablets that they got for under $200, have pretty much no software on them and just use them for web, media playback.

 

After playing with them I was not impressed. 7" didn't feel that much bigger than a large smartphone screen, but a smartphone is a lot easier to carry with you. I had no real interest in 7" 16:10 tablets, I will wait to also see the iPad mini in person before I pass judgement on it.

post #231 of 279

The way I see it is this. Apple still sells boatloads of iPad 2's at $399. However, the Mini has these advantages over the iPad 2:

 

- Improved front camera is 720P instead of VGA.

- Improved rear camera is 1080P with image stabilization vs 720P without.

- Bluetooth 4.0 instead of 2.1.

- Airplay streaming at 1080P (instead of 720P).

- 2.4 and 5.0 GHz WiFi instead of only 2.4GHz.

- Siri.

 

So you get an improved version of an iPad 2 in a smaller package. And they also knock $70 off the price. I don't see how Apple is going to have a tough time selling these. People were already willing to save $100 and settle for the iPad 2 instead of the iPad 3. Now they can save $170 and get a Mini.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #232 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

But I thought that Apple releasing on an annual basis is costing them sales? Whatever they do, it's costing them sales. Apple is doomed!

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #233 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The way I see it is this. Apple still sells boatloads of iPad 2's at $399.

People were already willing to save $100 and settle for the iPad 2 instead of the iPad 3. Now they can save $170 and get a Mini.

I'm not sure Apple sells boatloads of the iPad 2.

There are articles that estimate that the cheaper iPad 2 is only 18% of iPad sales. Apparently the more expensive $500+ iPad was the bulk of sales.

I guess people had the $399 base price in mind as they entered the store.... but that extra $100 to step up to the beautiful Retina display was a deal too good to pass up.

It will be interesting to see how the new $329 base price and the smaller form factor will do... and if it will slow sales of the "good" Retina iPad or not.

I still think the iPad Mini is a great idea... it's good to have options.
post #234 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Agree Rayz post nailed it. I also expected a $350 price.  I don't have a tablet, but a few of my friends have 7" tablets, not because 7" is ideal, but because they were cheap. The have Android and RIM Playbook tablets that they got for under $200, have pretty much no software on them and just use them for web, media playback.

After playing with them I was not impressed. 7" didn't feel that much bigger than a large smartphone screen, but a smartphone is a lot easier to carry with you. I had no real interest in 7" 16:10 tablets, I will wait to also see the iPad mini in person before I pass judgement on it.

I agree with your last comment: I'm looking forward to both the iPad Mini and the new iPad to appear in the local Apple Store so that I can play about with both of them extensively and judge for myself. I find that relying on 2nd-hand reporting of, for example, screen resolutions and weight is - for me - not very reliable. Having said that, I have the feeling from what I've read so far that the Mini screen might actually look better than the stated spec might lead one to believe, base on relative dimensions and ppi.

I currenlty use an iPad 1 amongst other things, and will certainly be interested to see how the new ones stack up against the old 1wink.gif.
post #235 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....
We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....
But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.
You know "Cult Of Mac", right?
They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".
Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.
The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.
Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.
At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....


And I agree.
Wholeheartadly.
I looks nice & all, but $330?!?
NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.
Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.
You'll see.

 

So if they sell one....you will be wrong?

post #236 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.

 

So when the tegra 3 is packaged with a different GPU it's a completely new generation becasue "there is a difference"?

 

That would would be a lot of generations of Tegra 3 just this year... Fantastic pace of innovation!

post #237 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

 

So when a new Android 7 incher gets released every two months, that means that it would be impossible to make a purchasing decision at any given point in time? Which is probably true since that is mostly what i read on android related posts in tech forums. People declaring that they won't buy a product because a "better" one has already been announced (and of course Apple hate...always Apple hate even though the post has nothing to do with Apple).

 

It's progress. If you feel compelled to wait because of that then you probably do not even need the product at all...

 

Google just announced a 32GB Nexus 7 for the same price as the 16GB one. In a month they will probably release a 64GB one with the same price. And so on... I'm sure there customers just love that strategy!

post #238 of 279
$329 is too much, and I don't even like the aspect ratio. I think the 16x9 tablets are more useful
The truth will set you free.
Reply
The truth will set you free.
Reply
post #239 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


But you're looking at as an extra $30. As you note, maybe it was a drop of $20 to get to a price point that would sell out and kill off the Android market. Remember, Apple doesn't have to match their competiton 1:1 on price to beat them. They offer things their competition simply can't match and this tablet has plenty of that.

Soli, here's my take. As Dick Applebaum said a few days ago, Apple had a chance to be "disruptive" with the iPad Mini. IMO they missed. There's very little that makes it a stand-out product. It won't be as portable as the smaller 7" competitors, which is what I saw mentioned as a primary hope for the Mini by many forum members. It doesn't sport Apple's now-iconic Retina display, which some others felt was a requirement. Not even the emphasis on the Mini as a education device, which many here thought would be the focus at the base end.

 

Then there's the price. With the intro at this time of the year it's obvious Apple plans to promo this for the holiday gift giving, which is smart. What's not so smart is they could have taken a minimal risk and come in much closer to competitors pricing and really push Mom and Dad to opt Apple rather than "other". And don't try to say Apple doesn't consider something like the Nexus7 as a competitor when Shiller trots them out on stage to compare.

 

Assume I want to buy a smaller tablet for each of three grandkids. Here in Florida that would set me back about $1056 with tax for the least expensive base model 16GB Wi-Fi Mini.  Opting instead for the base Nexus (reportedly a 16GB rather than 8 by the end of the month) would be $639, saving grandpa over $400. Even going for the already shipping 32GB Nexus, doubling Apple's base, I'd still save over $250.

 

With the pricing and features Apple settled on they've allowed a huge opening for competitors holiday sales, something they apparently decided was less important than holding their traditional margins.  Apple no doubt made the best choice for their bottom line, but they had an opportunity to leave the door open only a crack for the competition instead of opening the window too.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #240 of 279
The way Apple pitched this product was a mistake IMO. They should've ignored the competition and focused on how the product was thinner, lighter and a smaller form factor. Focus on the build quality, highlight some of the features like front and rear camera, fast wifi, cellular, etc. And then have a software/app focus to really sell the device. Maybe something education related. But the way Phil sold it was basically focusing on web browsing and saying its better than the 7" tablets because it has a bigger screen. It was kind of a head scratcher that he really didn't say anything to make the higher price seem justified.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329