or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329 - Page 3

post #81 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I can't wait to see one in person. I'm hoping when you see it and use it the price tag will be justified. Unfortunately Amazon and Google have set in people's minds that smaller tablets shouldn't cost more than $299 (or $199).

Won't be the first time Apple broke people's expectations.

post #82 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLeuer View Post

It can't be understated how wrong it is that the mini will ship with a 1024x768 display. Apple created the Retina ideal, they marketed it, they made it something people expect in their devices. Now Apple's closest competitor is absolutely blowing them away on the all important PPI measure. Forget that the iPad mini can't touch the Nexus 7, in a week Google's 10 inch Nexus tablet is going to embarrass the actually-"Retina" iPad as well. The last figure I read was 2560x1600 and >300 PPI. What makes me sad is that consumers won't the glaring omission in the iPad mini, because of the cache Apple built for itself and because most people are generally ignorant.

When will you chicken littles get it? SPECS DON'T MATTER. It's not the features, it's the benefits. That is, it's not what the device CAN do, it's what the device ACTUALLY does. And usability wise, Apple is unmatched, with the best OS and the best App ecosystem. That's what keeps people coming back.

post #83 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

Actually, the iPad 2 is better at some graphics/display-intensive things than the iPad 3...  Maps 3D Flyover performs more than twice as fast on my iPad 2 than on my iPad 3.   I think the iPad 2 is a better balance of CPU, GPU and Display Resolution.

Agreed.  The retina display needed a little more horsepower than the A5X processor had, which is obviously why they released the iPad4 so soon.  My guess is the A6 processor wasn't ready in time for the iPad3.  I suspect that the next version of the iPad will have a quad core A6 processor (next spring) and then it will get upgraded again to an A7 processor in a year from now and possibly a change in form factor.  

post #84 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153692/apple-reveals-ipad-mini-7-9-display-7-2mm-thin-starting-at-329/40#post_2217368"]$329 is a great price for the iPad Mini. I thought that it looked kind of cute, both the white and black models, and Apple is going to sell a shit load of them. 

Cute? Ok what giddy schoolgirl hijacked Apple ]['s account?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Anyone who's thinking of buying the iPad mini will likely be disappointed come next March, when Apple will release iPad mini 2nd gen with much better internals. Right now, it's still A5, that's just rediculous, it's a processor 2 generations behind! It'll be outdated quickly, and with a lot of competition on the 7-inch space, Apple, will have to upgrade it in March'13 for sure.

 

I'd hold off buying it for $329 right now. The 4th gen iPad is a much better deal.

 

The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #86 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"…we'd love to, but we don't have enough time…"

 

… Why? It's your event. Is Apple being shooed out of the theater because they have to get ready for a play tonight?

Just how long do you think it would take to list, much less demonstrate 275,000 iPad apps?

post #87 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

 

Yeah, it seems stupid to me.  I think Jobs would have eaten the $30 and said $299.  

 

I mean it's not *that* great and it's almost 50% more expensive than the competition.  I know they are under no pressure to lower prices and could have even made it $350 and it would still have sold, but the extra $30 seems petty to me.  

post #88 of 279

It's nice but I'll wait 6 months for the retina display and A6 version.
Edited by dasanman69 - 10/23/12 at 2:53pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #89 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

Apple doesn't do that. If you look through their pricing history, they don't drop anything for Black Friday or Holidays. Apple only drop price when new generation of the device is available.

Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #90 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

I meant "not officially" killed it. But if the virtual keyboard doesn't suck, mini is better choice.
And it even threatens the new iPod Touch.

 

Maybe. But Apple products are starting to have A LOT of overlap, now that they've kept:

iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (4th gen), iPad 2 (9.7"), the iPod Classic, MacBook Pro (non-Retina). I was pretty sure Apple was going to thin things out, but they're just one step removed from consumer confusion.

 

I think they should replace the iPod Shuffle and Nano with something like the 6th-Gen Nano (with the clip). Drop the 4th-Gen iPod Touch, Drop the Classic and offer an 128GB option on the iPod Touch. Also, drop the iPad 2. But that's my opinion.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #91 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.

 

A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

post #92 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

And yet the $499 iPad outsells the rest of the $199 crap, or the Android 2.3 junk selling at $89 at the dollar stores.

^this^

post #93 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A couple of points. Google's $199 offering 1) only comes with 8 GB, and a 1.2 MB front facing camera. Apple's device ships with 16 GB, and both a 1.2 GB front facing camera and a 5 GB rear camera.

 

Moreover, as was presented at the demonstration Apple's screen actually presents more real estate and is built using aluminum not cheap plastic. The extra $140 dollars seems worth it to me for the quality Apple is offering. 

 

 

Not claiming the mini isn't probably a better overall device than the Nexus7 for many buyers (it better be for the much higher price), but you're selling the Nexus way short on shell quality IMHO. FWIW that "cheap plastic" weathered drop tests and water immersion better than the iPad aluminum shell. Unlike Apple's product which lost sound, the Nexus7 was pulled from the water with both audio and video still playing fine. Several drops on concrete left no more than a some slight blemishes on the Nexus7, but cracked and chipped screens on the iPad. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaPmrXKfO0

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #94 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Yeah, it seems stupid to me.  I think Jobs would have eaten the $30 and said $299.  

 

I mean it's not *that* great and it's almost 50% more expensive than the competition.  I know they are under no pressure to lower prices and could have even made it $350 and it would still have sold, but the extra $30 seems petty to me.  

 

 

Agreed.  The iPad mini will sell.  But I wished Apple could have made it easier on themselves and priced it at $299.  Or as SolipsismX said, maybe they did their research and found that they would still sell out their stock of 10-million devices at $329.

 

The mini is a jewel and beautiful, but it offers no new "tricks."  I am sorry to say it, but it's a me-too product.

post #95 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post


No they aren't.
And Apple isn't thrilling too many people with an iPad 4 so soon, either.
I don't care about Surface & Key Lime Pie, and neither does any other potential tab buyer.
Why is that?
Because, say it with me: THERE ISN'T A TAB MARKET -- THERE'S AN iPAD MARKET!!!!!
For Apple to clearly panic like this on both ends of the tab spectrum, is -- ....
Words fail.
But not as big of a fail as this "iPad Mini" will be.
And that noise you hear?
It's Bezos & Lucifer clinking glasses as the King Of Pernition delivers on his end of the bargain.

 

Actually, they are.

 

You're right, there's the iPad market only. And Apple isn't waiting around for that to expand into a tablet market. They're moving forward as soon as they can. the iPad 3 didn't have much a performance gain over the iPad 2, it had a retina display and more memory and a better camera. The A6 is ready now. Why not update the iPad? This is the same game plan as the iPod. Start at the top, make your way down when you can do so and keep the experience the same.

 

This is not a panic move... pricing your device at $199 is a panic move. Amazon's ambition is tiny compared to Apple's. Everyone makes it out to be something that contends with Apple... not even close. Their entire ecosystem (hardware, software, content) is mostly US based. Apple is all over the world. If ecosystems were islands, Amazon would be Iceland and Apple would be Greenland.


Edited by mjtomlin - 10/23/12 at 1:10pm
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #96 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I see no reason to buy the iPad 2 now. It's completely outspeced by the mini in everything but size.

 

- Jasen.

 

And the weight, don't forget that.  1cool.gif

post #97 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post


No they aren't.
And Apple isn't thrilling too many people with an iPad 4 so soon, either.
I don't care about Surface & Key Lime Pie, and neither does any other potential tab buyer.
Why is that?
Because, say it with me: THERE ISN'T A TAB MARKET -- THERE'S AN iPAD MARKET!!!!!
For Apple to clearly panic like this on both ends of the tab spectrum, is -- ....
Words fail.
But not as big of a fail as this "iPad Mini" will be.
And that noise you hear?
It's Bezos & Lucifer clinking glasses as the King Of Pernition delivers on his end of the bargain.

"so soon"?

 

Yeah because product improvement is just SUCH a turnoff.

 

Too funny.

 

Oh and why yes, my iPad (3) DOES still work just fine, thanks for asking.

post #98 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Just how long do you think it would take to list, much less demonstrate 275,000 iPad apps?

 

It would take so long, in fact, that Google would have reached "Z" in Android releases, fracturing the Android market into 26 slices on a pie chart. Which will probably happen around February 2014. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #99 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

... And the market did not like the price. AAPL dropped $10 when the mini price was revealed. ...

 

Not to pick on you but I'm getting so tired of this comment.  Everyone who thinks they know something about finance says this after every Apple event.  

 

In fact, stock (not just Apple stock but *all* stock), generally "drops on news."  The saying is "rises on rumours, drops on news."  This works regardless of whether it's good news, bad news, or in-between news.  

 

The stock will (almost) always drop right after any big announcement.  It has nothing to do with "what the market thinks" about what was just announced.  It happens when record sales are announced, and it happens when record losses are announced.  

 

Unless the drop is really, really precipitous, it means precisely ... nothing.  

post #100 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Maybe. But Apple products are starting to have A LOT of overlap, now that they've kept:

iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (4th gen), iPad 2 (9.7"), the iPod Classic, MacBook Pro (non-Retina). I was pretty sure Apple was going to thin things out, but they're just one step removed from consumer confusion.

 

I think they should replace the iPod Shuffle and Nano with something like the 6th-Gen Nano (with the clip). Drop the 4th-Gen iPod Touch, Drop the Classic and offer an 128GB option on the iPod Touch. Also, drop the iPad 2. But that's my opinion.

look at the redesigned Store page on Apple website :)

post #101 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple doesn't do that. If you look through their pricing history, they don't drop anything for Black Friday or Holidays. Apple only drop price when new generation of the device is available.

 

When is the last time they refreshed a [EDIT: major] product 6 months out?  Let's face it, we are in new territory.

 

Besides, Apple only controls the price on its own web site.  Nothing is to stop Best Buy or Walmart from dropping the iPad mini to $299 for a day to get people in the door.  Except for perhaps some contract with Apple, which I bet includes exceptions for days like Black Friday.  

 

I just think the price is such that Apple could easily drop it down to the $299 point most people were expecting without much fuss. That was my main point.  The question of "when" is irrelevant, though I gave my personal opinion.

post #102 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple doesn't do that. If you look through their pricing history, they don't drop anything for Black Friday or Holidays. Apple only drop price when new generation of the device is available.


Absolutely not true, last Black Friday, November 25th, 2011, here were the discounts:

 

Some examples include:

$101 off MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac

$41 off iPad 2

$21 off iPod Touch

post #103 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

 

A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

 

My iPhone 4S is awesome, it has an A5.

The new iPod touch is incredible, it has an A5.

The iPad 2 has an A5... it runs just fine.

The iPad 3 has an A5X, it's beautiful.

 

The only device with an A6 is the iPhone 5, which just came out a month ago - and in two weeks it will also be in the newest iPad.

 

So all of Apple's current iOS devices, except the iPhone 5, use the A5... I'm not sure what you're basing "underwhelming" on when the fact is, they all are all great devices that run exceptionally well.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #104 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLeuer View Post

It can't be understated how wrong it is that the mini will ship with a 1024x768 display. Apple created the Retina ideal, they marketed it, they made it something people expect in their devices. Now Apple's closest competitor is absolutely blowing them away on the all important PPI measure. Forget that the iPad mini can't touch the Nexus 7, in a week Google's 10 inch Nexus tablet is going to embarrass the actually-"Retina" iPad as well. The last figure I read was 2560x1600 and >300 PPI. What makes me sad is that consumers won't the glaring omission in the iPad mini, because of the cache Apple built for itself and because most people are generally ignorant.

Ignorant? Let's try this for size. What is good with >300 ppi when you only have enlarged phone app on your tablet. Now who's ignorant?

post #105 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post


Absolutely not true, last Black Friday, November 25th, 2011, here were the discounts:

 

Some examples include:

$101 off MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac

$41 off iPad 2

$21 off iPod Touch

 

Well I am glad someone else remembered that.  I wasn't going to go there because I wasn't sure but  I was pretty sure I had seen deals on Apple products...especially iPod Touch.

post #106 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"same exact hardware"? The mini's display area is a lot larger and for many that user experience is the differentiator. 15" television "the same" as a 32? Nope.

How about a 32" 1080p LED vs a 40" 720p cheap quality LCD.  And you get to pay $33% more for the inferior screen'd one... yet it's "bigger"

 

That's a better argument.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #107 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Maybe. But Apple products are starting to have A LOT of overlap, now that they've kept:

iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (4th gen), iPad 2 (9.7"), the iPod Classic, MacBook Pro (non-Retina). I was pretty sure Apple was going to thin things out, but they're just one step removed from consumer confusion.

 

I think they should replace the iPod Shuffle and Nano with something like the 6th-Gen Nano (with the clip). Drop the 4th-Gen iPod Touch, Drop the Classic and offer an 128GB option on the iPod Touch. Also, drop the iPad 2. But that's my opinion.

 

I agree with you.  There is definitely confusion.

 

BUT:

The iPhone 4 and 4S are considered an iPhone with lower specs.

The iPad 2 is considered an iPad with lower specs.

The iPod touch 4th gen is considered an iPod touch with lower specs.

The non-retina MacBook Pro's are considered MacBook Pro's with lower specs.

 

Fortunately, Apple's different categories and lines have very strong brand names, so it is not too hard to understand what is going on.  They are keeping the lower-spec'ed devices for developing markets and customers who are less "well-off."

post #108 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not claiming the mini isn't probably a better overall device than the Nexus7 for many buyers (it better be for the much higher price), but you're selling the Nexus way short on shell quality IMHO. FWIW that "cheap plastic" weathered drop tests and water immersion better than the iPad aluminum shell. Unlike Apple's product which lost sound, the Nexus7 was pulled from the water with both audio and video still playing fine. Several drops on concrete left no more than a some slight blemishes on the Nexus7, but cracked and chipped screens on the iPad. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaPmrXKfO0

That doesn't tell the quality of material, only that iPad is significant heavier.

post #109 of 279

For everyone complaining about the pricing of $329.  I am willing to bet this...  Apple will sell exactly every single iPad mini that they can manage to make until the end of the year.  Once supply exceeds demand, they can lower the price to $299 if necessary.  $30 is not such a big deal that people will go crazy (like when the original iPhone dropped from $599 to $399), plus people have an expectation in general that prices will drop after the holidays.  This way Apple gets maximum revenue from people willing to pay, with very little risk down the road should they want to drop the price a little.
 

post #110 of 279

It is comparable to the Tegra 3 the Nexus 7 is using. 

post #111 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That doesn't tell the quality of material, only that iPad is significant heavier.

There's also nothing to indicate it's simply cheap plastic and thus automatically inferior....

and weight has nothing to do with speaker loss on the iPad, unless you can think of some tie-in. I can't.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #112 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple doesn't do that. If you look through their pricing history, they don't drop anything for Black Friday or Holidays. Apple only drop price when new generation of the device is available.
Although I agree with what you are saying, there was was that one time they dropped the price on the iPhone.
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #113 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

When will you chicken littles get it? SPECS DON'T MATTER. 

 

Let me fix this for you. "When will you chicken littles get it? SPECS DON'T MATTER. Unless they are in Apple's favor. Then they are the most important thing ever and we must use them to mock everyone else."

 

The extra cost is for all the sand paper that is included with the iPad Mini. Because, in order to use an iPad that small you would need to sand your fingers down to 1/4 of the size. It's the truth. There have been studies.

post #114 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A couple of points. Google's $199 offering 1) only comes with 8 GB, and a 1.2 MB front facing camera. Apple's device ships with 16 GB, and both a 1.2 GB front facing camera and a 5 GB rear camera. ...

 

Yes, but Google has already said they are going to change the memory on the Nexus from 8/16 GB to 16/32 GB for the same price.  So this will come down to one camera versus two cameras.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

...  is built using aluminum not cheap plastic. The extra $140 dollars seems worth it to me for the quality Apple is offering. ...

 

 

I think the point here is that aluminium is not necessarily any better than plastic and a lot of people (me included) would rather have the $140 instead.  Why is plastic always "cheap plastic" when people don't want it, but the same plastic is "precision engineered" or something similar when it *is* wanted?  Is aluminium going to become "cheap aluminium" when the next better material is discovered?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

... A retina display would be nice, but Apple is offering a more cost conscious option and people didn't mind the iPad 2 that lacked the retina display. ...

 

 

Yes, but they aren't offering a retina display and yet this still isn't really a "cost conscious option" either.  

 

The new iPad mini is great and it's a form factor I've been waiting for since before the first iPad launched so I will be in line to buy one on the very first day.  Making it seem like its' some fantastic inexpensive miracle however isn't true and isn't really helpful at all.

 

This is a re-working of the iPad 2 internals into a smaller form factor.  It isn't anything really new and no miracles or deities were involved in it's creation.  The bottom model should really have been cheaper IMO, even if they had to go for that 8GB option that everyone was horrified over yesterday.  

 

People have it in their heads that a smaller tablet like this is roughly $200 and all the competition currently sells theirs for roughly that amount.  If instead you pick this thing, by the time you leave the store and have paid the taxes and fees you will be very close to $400.  

post #115 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

For everyone complaining about the pricing of $329.  I am willing to bet this...  Apple will sell exactly every single iPad mini that they can manage to make until the end of the year.  Once supply exceeds demand, they can lower the price to $299 if necessary.  $30 is not such a big deal that people will go crazy (like when the original iPhone dropped from $599 to $399), plus people have an expectation in general that prices will drop after the holidays.  This way Apple gets maximum revenue from people willing to pay, with very little risk down the road should they want to drop the price a little.
 

 

I'm with you.  I said it was weird but I didn't fuss or complain about an extra $30.  I was just making an observation.  I didn't expect rants over $30. I'm with you and I think that it makes pretty good business sense.  

 

Then again, some people are loosing their minds over the fact that Apple refreshed the iPad after 6 months.  So I don't know why anything surprises me anymore...

post #116 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's also nothing to indicate it's simply cheap plastic and thus automatically inferior....

and weight has nothing to do with speaker loss on the iPad, unless you can think of some tie-in. I can't.

I'm talking about this: "Several drops on concrete left no more than a some slight blemishes on the Nexus7, but cracked and chipped screens on the iPad" Cheap IS cheap. And it is inferior in many aspects, hence the cheap price.

post #117 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

 

Let me fix this for you. "When will you chicken littles get it? SPECS DON'T MATTER. Unless they are in Apple's favor. Then they are the most important thing ever and we must use them to mock everyone else."

 

The extra cost is for all the sand paper that is included with the iPad Mini. Because, in order to use an iPad that small you would need to sand your fingers down to 1/4 of the size. It's the truth. There have been studies.


Sandpaper is only necessary for use with 7" tablets, 8" tablets (like the iPad mini) do not have this requirement.

post #118 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The ppi is approximately 125% that of the iPad 2 and twice what a regular desktop computer is. I spend all day working on a Cinema screen with no complaints about resolution and I do have a rMBP and an iPad 3 so I have something to compare it to. iPad mini without a retina is not a deal breaker for me at all. Sure it would have been better if it had one but it doesn't. They would have had to put in an A6 to do retina and that perhaps would have made it too expensive for the entry price they were trying to hit and it would have made it thicker and heavier with a bigger battery.


I totally agree with you.  I love the retina displays on the rMBP's.  They are gorgeous.  I use the 27" LED on my MBA here at the office, my co-worker also uses a 27" LED for his rMBP and keeps his notebook closed.  Ironic eh?  His rMBP has a higher display than the external monitor, but in real-world use and considering the 27" monitor is farther back for the eyes, it's kind of a moot point in terms of what you really get.

Now don't get me wrong, the fetish-guy in me would LOVE to have a retina iMac or LED monitor.  The tech / costs / speed just isn't there yet for such a huge chunk of glass.

The new iPad mini even though has the same resolution as an iPad2, it's a smaller display so the PPI goes up.  I think it'll look great.  Sure, not true retina level methink, but I can predict with almost absolute-certainty that if adding the retina display adds $50 to the cost, there will be people here (iHaters, trolls, whiners, etc..) that will come out of their parents' basements and cry "gouging!".

 

post #119 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


This. $329 should've been retina.
The iPod touch is same exact hardware, 32gb, and retina. And the mini is more? The iPod touch is either overpriced or the mini is. Y'all pick.

 

The mini is overpriced to make it seem superior to the iPod touch. There's no way they could enter it at the same price point as the iPod touch. To the average, uninformed consumer, they would ask questions as to why they should buy the iPod touch rather than the iPad mini. Of course, most of us know why (retina display, faster, more storage) but all the consumer sees is bigger and better (in their eyes).

post #120 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Many of us have guessed between 299 and 349 1smile.gif

at $329 they are just killing the iPad2 anyways. The mini is much more attractive for cheaper price, if you wanted to buy a non-retina iPad.


The only question is how comfortable is the virtual keyboard on the smaller screen.

You just need an emery board for your fingers 1wink.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329