or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist

2014 Mac mini Wishlist - Page 34

post #1321 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Again I repeat Mini will be dropped from the Apple line soon.

And you base this on what information?

I don't doubt it really but I do wonder what will replace it. A scaled down Mac Pro like machine, a souped up AppleTV or something different again. The Mini might be dead but dropping it leaves Apples desktop lineup unbalanced.
post #1322 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

And you base this on what information?

I don't doubt it really but I do wonder what will replace it. A scaled down Mac Pro like machine, a souped up AppleTV or something different again. The Mini might be dead but dropping it leaves Apples desktop lineup unbalanced.

Agreed.  Can't see it disappearing, but the long term neglect makes me think it might get "refreshed" (or replaced/rebranded) with a black machine that either looks like a smaller version of the Pro or a slightly bigger Apple TV  (it wouldn't surprise me if they made it non-expandable in a totally sealed box the like aTV).

post #1323 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Agreed.  Can't see it disappearing, but the long term neglect makes me think it might get "refreshed" (or replaced/rebranded) with a black machine that either looks like a smaller version of the Pro or a slightly bigger Apple TV  (it wouldn't surprise me if they made it non-expandable in a totally sealed box the like aTV).

Even if they have a new form factor coming, it really doesn't justify putting the buying community on hold for 8 months now. I'm not sure about the engineering effort required to slap Haswell on the motherboard but I can't imagine it was a huge foot print change from the previous solution. I really just don't get it, the Mini attracts a lot of people, geeks if you will, that do understand the differences in the processor families and will put off purchases until the hardware is updated.

As for the new platform, it would be nice to see something along the lines of a Mac Pro Lite. That is if they can keep the price reasonable. I suspect the price can be kept reasonable simply by using different manufacturing methods (a cheaper case). This would be a refresh of the product.

Why refresh? Simply due to the same reasons the Mac Pro got a major work over, to set the product up for another ten years. In this regard circuit density will increase significantly making for very compact motherboards. We could see by next year a mother boards that has a processor chip, RAM, some analog stuff and little else. The days of massive motherboards, to deliver basic computing functionality, are gone. Intel is in a mad rush to deliver low power highly integrated chips for laptops, tablets and other hardware, it is just a matter of time.
post #1324 of 1462

Believe it or not, I think it's being held back for the 4K screen.

I think the Mini's about to go mobile.

Mobile is where everything's at now, and 'Home on iPod' never really took off.

Users can take their computer from home to work without a hassle, in their pocket.

However, in true Apple style, they want to sell you two (!) screens for the privilege, and so the product cannot debut before the next display upgrade is ready to ship.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1325 of 1462
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #1326 of 1462

The Mini now competes, in part, with the Intel NUC.

Mobile computers-in-your-pocket are now a real thing.

If Apple's retooling the Mini, this market has to be part of the equation.

I understand that the Mini wouldn't NEED a 4K monitor, but if Apple hasn't built a low end monitor for the Mini yet, they aren't going to at all.

So whatever the next display upgrade is (4K or not) it will be the default solution for the Mini.

post #1327 of 1462
Quote:

They would share minimal market overlap. It remains to be seen if there is a price bump, but I don't see a 4K screen coming in any less than what is there now. The mini is probably paired with cheaper alternatives on a frequent basis. Some are sold as light duty servers. It makes absolutely no sense to hold it back for something like that when they could have shipped last year. I doubt Apple will bring out a 4K display until closer to Broadwell, so that's a non-issue. My bet would be on chip cost. If they attempted to go the same route as 2012, it would be another increase in chip cost due to Apple's current selections for the 13" and 15" mbps.

post #1328 of 1462

Many mornings I hit the AI website hoping to see an article that the mini got a stealth update last night…

Ah well.

post #1329 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Many mornings I hit the AI website hoping to see an article that the mini got a stealth update last night…

Ah well.

You are not the only one! It is frustrating because Haswell is exactly what the Mini needs, a solid GPU boost.
post #1330 of 1462

Maybe someday this will happen.

post #1331 of 1462
Quote:

Again I repeat Mini will be dropped from the Apple line soon.

I don't see that happening.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #1332 of 1462

If they do so what!

post #1333 of 1462

^^Perhaps zombies will take over Cupertino?

post #1334 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

^^Perhaps zombies will take over Cupertino?

A Mac controlled by a virus sent by the NSA?
post #1335 of 1462
Reading this topic depresses me to be honest. Can I just request for it to be temporarily closed until Apple actually releases the mini if they do?
post #1336 of 1462

GROW UP!

post #1337 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Reading this topic depresses me to be honest. Can I just request for it to be temporarily closed until Apple actually releases the mini if they do?

If they actually release a Mini or its replacement then it wouldn't be future hardware. I'm actually a bit scared that their goal is to release a "low cost" iMac to replace the Mini. That at least fits into some of the rumors we have heard. Sadly that would put me on alternative hardware loosing Apple a customer. We can only hope that Apple has smarter people working for it.

As a side note do you really want to close the thread before WWDC? We should get some sort of indication as to what is up by then.
post #1338 of 1462
Quote:

GROW UP!

Look at you posts over the last few weeks and tell me you don't need to look in the mirror!

It is most reasonable to be frustrated with Apple if you are an existing Mini user.
post #1339 of 1462
Quote:

Look at you posts over the last few weeks and tell me you don't need to look in the mirror!

It is most reasonable to be frustrated with Apple if you are an existing Mini user.

And that's part of the reason why I want to close the topic is the reason you quoted above. : P
post #1340 of 1462
Quote:

I don't doubt it really but I do wonder what will replace it. A scaled down Mac Pro like machine ...

When the new Mac Pro was announced, I hoped that it would cover a wide range of possibilities from the mini all the way up to the pro. Of course this could put in big trouble the iMac, which had already a new design, so it was unrealistic.

It is obvious that the new Mac Pro design has huge potential. Apple could easily use it to fuse the two headless desktop lines. If they will do so or not remains to be seen. But I don't think that they can just drop the mini without replacing it with something else.

post #1341 of 1462

Apple can do what they want.The mini is history!

post #1342 of 1462

Damn you Apple.  No new or even updated Mac Mini.  Some of us out here would like to continue being loyal Mini users but your arrogance in not at least updating the in almost 600 days may force me to look elsewhere for a new computer.  Don't appreciate being treated like a second class citizen.

post #1343 of 1462

Face reality Apple cares about what makes money for them and the Mini is not doing it.

post #1344 of 1462
Quote:

Face reality Apple cares about what makes money for them and the Mini is not doing it.

This is true for any company wanting to stay alive and thrive.

I would not like to see the mini go away. In fact, I was planning to buy one later this year but I am not going to pay these prices for almost 2 years old hardware.

post #1345 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Holley View Post

Damn you Apple.  No new or even updated Mac Mini.  Some of us out here would like to continue being loyal Mini users but your arrogance in not at least updating the in almost 600 days may force me to look elsewhere for a new computer.  Don't appreciate being treated like a second class citizen.

From a customer relations standpoint Apples move or lack of movement here is pretty stupid. Haswell would have been a really decent upgrade to the Mini addressing its big weakness (the GPU) and satisfying the needs of users that understand the value of Haswell in this platform.

Instead Apple is holding off doing any sort of update for what ever future platform may be coming. That might work for a few months if the product that replaces the Mini is ready but obviously that product did not debut this week. So yeah Apple has no respect for their customers in this regard.
post #1346 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

This is true for any company wanting to stay alive and thrive.
True but Apple doesn't have a problem here.
Quote:

I would not like to see the mini go away. In fact, I was planning to buy one later this year but I am not going to pay these prices for almost 2 years old hardware.

The problem is Apples behavior drives the sales of the Mini down significantly. Some of us have been waiting for a Haswell based Mini well before Haswell even hit the market. So yeah effectively Apple has had a useless platform for well over 2 years.

As far as the Mini going away, that would be OK only if something better replaces it.
post #1347 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Holley View Post

Or at least lower the price.

If they can update other products AND lower the price they should at least be able to lower the price on the same old mini.

post #1348 of 1462

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Or at least lower the price.

If they can update other products AND lower the price they should at least be able to lower the price on the same old mini.

They only make pricing updates when they refresh a line. The mini is in an odd place in that if they stick with matching macbook pro cpu packages as they have in the past, they would be once again using more expensive processors. I disagree with Marvin on the mid range being the sticking point there. As a percentage of retail price the biggest increase would be moving the low end to something comparable to what is used in the 13" rmbp.

post #1349 of 1462

So am I a mini owner. More important things in life than worrying about new mini's coming out.

post #1350 of 1462
So does anyone else out there find "Future Apple Hardware" to be down right boring without any credible Mac or even iPad news? There seems to be lots of filler about things I really don't care about.
post #1351 of 1462

There is a website called 123. Mac Mini you might find that more interesting than this  and informative.

post #1352 of 1462
Quote:

I wanted to buy a Mini to upgrade my parents' setup this Christmas. That plan got scratched this morning.

Dyson may get the money instead.

I bought my mother a Mac Mini about 5 years ago and all she did with it was use the email and internet. So for her birthday this year we got her an Asus ChromeBox. A local computer seller franchise by the name of InterDiscount were selling them for the equivalent of 140 dollars to our Swiss Frank. She loves it and is now even using Hangouts to talk with the familily. It came with a wireless Keyboard and Mouse so we just connected it to her TV. Not saying it's better in anyway to a Mac Mini but for mommy's it's kind of perfect.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #1353 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I bought my mother a Mac Mini about 5 years ago and all she did with it was use the email and internet. So for her birthday this year we got her an Asus ChromeBox. A local computer seller franchise by the name of InterDiscount were selling them for the equivalent of 140 dollars to our Swiss Frank. She loves it and is now even using Hangouts to talk with the familily. It came with a wireless Keyboard and Mouse so we just connected it to her TV. Not saying it's better in anyway to a Mac Mini but for mommy's it's kind of perfect.

Sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll look into it.

post #1354 of 1462
Relic - good to hear from you!😃😃😄😃😃
Quote:

Unfortunately this is a market that Apple misses outs on completely. Sadly they could nail that market with a few enhancements to AppleTV. Give Apple TV the capability to use a keyboard in conjunction with user apps (an App Store) and these single purpose uses would be covered in an inexpensive platfrom.

I'm actually sitting here thinking that Apple has something up its sleeve iOS device wise to address this issue sort of market need. There are actually numerous use cases where a simple computer is the better choose, especially if the intent is to run only one or a couple of apps.
post #1355 of 1462
Quote:

Unfortunately this is a market that Apple misses outs on completely. Sadly they could nail that market with a few enhancements to AppleTV. Give Apple TV the capability to use a keyboard in conjunction with user apps (an App Store) and these single purpose uses would be covered in an inexpensive platfrom.

That's what they aim the iPad at. Browsing on the Apple TV would be convenient for people who just have an Apple TV but the iPad offers a much better experience for email and browsing as well as other apps and you get the benefit of being able to take it anywhere so if you don't want to stay up, you can do the same browsing and email in bed. This shows from Chrome OS usage stats:

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/20/chitika-chrome-os-web-usage-share-doubles-but-is-still-minuscule-overall/

It's at 1/10th of Linux. The problem with the cheap box route is there's very little profit and the market isn't there. People value all-in-one devices more highly.

The PC desktop market is still fairly strong with over 100m units per year but AIOs are making up a growing portion of those.

The iMac looks like it'll be getting a big revision with a Retina display. If this is the case then it means a Retina Thunderbolt display. If they update the Mini now, there's zero chance buyers will get the retina display with it. It'll take some GPU power to drive a Retina display but if they bring the Mini line down to just a quad-i7/Iris Pro model, that should be ok.

The alternative is that they make a cheaper iMac to grab some of the Mini crowd with a display sale too.

The iMac sells at least 2x the amount of Minis at 2x the ASP so it's at least 4x more profitable for Apple than the Mini and the margins could also be higher on the iMac.

Once the iMac gets updated, it should be clearer what the future of the Mini will be. This could be as late as September-November.
post #1356 of 1462
Quote:

Relic - good to hear from you!😃😃😄😃😃

I'm actually sitting here thinking that Apple has something up its sleeve iOS device wise to address this issue sort of market need. There are actually numerous use cases where a simple computer is the better choose, especially if the intent is to run only one or a couple of apps.

Thanks I've been hovering around a little, I recently got home from a long stay at a clinic in Geneva. I go back in about two weeks for another operation. I've been waiting for the Apple TV to get support for regular iOS apps for a while now, I thought for sure this was the route it was going, maybe the next model.
post #1357 of 1462

It is the thought that counts.

post #1358 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's what they aim the iPad at. Browsing on the Apple TV would be convenient for people who just have an Apple TV but the iPad offers a much better experience for email and browsing as well as other apps and you get the benefit of being able to take it anywhere so if you don't want to stay up, you can do the same browsing and email in bed. This shows from Chrome OS usage stats:
The problem is the iPad is very expensive relatively.
Quote:
http://gigaom.com/2014/02/20/chitika-chrome-os-web-usage-share-doubles-but-is-still-minuscule-overall/

It's at 1/10th of Linux. The problem with the cheap box route is there's very little profit and the market isn't there. People value all-in-one devices more highly.
There is little profit if you go with Intel hardware with conventional expectations. However if you go the AppleTV route you drastically cut hardware costs with your profits coming from apps and media sales. Really it is just an extension of what they are doing now with AppleTV. Further it isn't much different than what happens with gaming consoles.
Quote:
The PC desktop market is still fairly strong with over 100m units per year but AIOs are making up a growing portion of those.
Where does that come from? I don't see people knocking down doors to get to AIO's. In the case of Apple you only have one practical desktop which is the Mini, iMac sales are more the result of no viable alternatives.
Quote:
The iMac looks like it'll be getting a big revision with a Retina display. If this is the case then it means a Retina Thunderbolt display. If they update the Mini now, there's zero chance buyers will get the retina display with it. It'll take some GPU power to drive a Retina display but if they bring the Mini line down to just a quad-i7/Iris Pro model, that should be ok.
I can't imagine the current Minis or even a Haswell based Mini actually driving a large retina (4K) display. Further I can't imagine Apple marketing any new monitor at less than 4K resolution.
Quote:

The alternative is that they make a cheaper iMac to grab some of the Mini crowd with a display sale too.

The iMac sells at least 2x the amount of Minis at 2x the ASP so it's at least 4x more profitable for Apple than the Mini and the margins could also be higher on the iMac.
A company can't become obsessed with profits to the point that they ignore consummer needs! They desperately need a desktop machine that isn't an iMac that delivers respectable performance.
Quote:
Once the iMac gets updated, it should be clearer what the future of the Mini will be. This could be as late as September-November.

Honestly I think something new is coming. If not Apples customers should rightfully be pissed off. Especially when the hardware exists to address the Minis biggest shortcoming which has been the GPU.
post #1359 of 1462
This is good to hear as the forum really needs your unique grace and wisdom! Beyond that your sense of humor fills my heart with desire! Desire for a good laugh!
Quote:

Thanks I've been hovering around a little, I recently got home from a long stay at a clinic in Geneva. I go back in about two weeks for another operation. I've been waiting for the Apple TV to get support for regular iOS apps for a while now, I thought for sure this was the route it was going, maybe the next model.

It would seem to be a no brainer for Apple. Maybe they are waiting for better hardware that allows for containment of costs while delivering far better performance.
post #1360 of 1462
Quote:

The problem is the iPad is very expensive relatively.

It has more value though. $300 for a portable computer is a good price and Apple's competitors make little to no profit margin.
Quote:

Where does that come from? I don't see people knocking down doors to get to AIO's.

AIOs have been experiencing double digit growth while the overall PC industry is declining or growing very slowly:

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/544115/desktop_growing_back_aio_nuc_more_intel/
http://thevarguy.com/blog/all-one-computers-next-wave-desktops

"the market for AIOs is growing fast—more than 20 percent in the first half of 2013, according to IDC, which makes it the fastest-growing desktop form factor in North America"

They don't make up a majority of the desktop sales but towers are on the way down and AIOs on the way up. The only issue I've ever had with AIOs is locking the storage inside, especially with HDDs. If they move the storage outside and solder the RAM on, it's no problem at all.

It's more cost-effective for the buyer because they aren't paying margins to multiple manufacturers:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-ZX4270-UR30-19-5-Inch-Desktop-Black/dp/B00F5V8NLC

It's more profitable for the manufacturer as they are able to sell more of their own product to the buyer. It's probably easier to support too.
Quote:

A company can't become obsessed with profits to the point that they ignore consummer needs! They desperately need a desktop machine that isn't an iMac that delivers respectable performance.

That consumer need doesn't exist in high demand. People keep saying Apple needs to focus on the Mini but as I said, the iMac is 4x more profitable for them so they don't rely on the Mini at all. It will never drive their desktop business. They've done a great job with it up until now but consumers simply haven't been buying it as much as the iMac and this would still be the case if they updated it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist