or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Mac mini Wishlist - Page 35

post #1361 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
 
From a customer relations standpoint Apples move or lack of movement here is pretty stupid. Haswell would have been a really decent upgrade to the Mini addressing its big weakness (the GPU) and satisfying the needs of users that understand the value of Haswell in this platform.

 

The mini is likely to remain 1 gen back behind the iMac now that it's gone IGP.  Otherwise a Core i7 Haswell mini would significantly erode iMac sales.

post #1362 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is little profit if you go with Intel hardware with conventional expectations. However if you go the AppleTV route you drastically cut hardware costs with your profits coming from apps and media sales. Really it is just an extension of what they are doing now with AppleTV. Further it isn't much different than what happens with gaming consoles.

 

At $99 it would impact iOS device sales a lot.  It would likely have to be at least $199 for 16GB and no better than an A5 ($30 cheaper than an equivalent iPod touch) and probably $349 for an A7 ($50 less than the retina iPad).

 

The business model is relatively inexpensive apps for expensive hardware.  The profits aren't nearly as good for app sales to want to switch business models.

post #1363 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I bought my mother a Mac Mini about 5 years ago and all she did with it was use the email and internet. So for her birthday this year we got her an Asus ChromeBox. A local computer seller franchise by the name of InterDiscount were selling them for the equivalent of 140 dollars to our Swiss Frank. She loves it and is now even using Hangouts to talk with the familily. It came with a wireless Keyboard and Mouse so we just connected it to her TV. Not saying it's better in anyway to a Mac Mini but for mommy's it's kind of perfect.

 

I got my mom an iPad.  That works okay but a lot more than $140.

 

I think I'm giving up on the mini and going to see about a hackintosh or iMac...given it's June I might wait till August to see if they do anything before school starts but I'm thinking probably not.

post #1364 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I got my mom an iPad.  That works okay but a lot more than $140.

I think I'm giving up on the mini and going to see about a hackintosh or iMac...given it's June I might wait till August to see if they do anything before school starts but I'm thinking probably not.

Shhh, don't tell anyone around here but I've made like 10 Hackintoshed computers for friends and family. They actually work quite well when compatible hardware is used. I would recommend a refurbished Lenovo X201 to X230. I've had the best success with these models and you can get one from eBay quite inexpensively. I actually have an X220 lying around that I use for all of my evil experiments, the ease at which you can remove the drive is very helpful when using multiple OS's. I would love to try and install OSX on a Intel Nuc, I keep finding the i3 model on eBay for about 150 bucks, hmmmm. Good luck!
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1365 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I think I'm giving up on the mini and going to see about a hackintosh or iMac...given it's June I might wait till August to see if they do anything before school starts but I'm thinking probably not.

I don't think there's much point holding out for an iMac as the cheapest quad-i7 model is $1699 and that has a HDD glued inside it.

IMO, everyone holding out for a decent Mini with a good GPU should just get one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

Say that you wanted a quad-i7 and 8GB RAM in the Mini, this would be $799 + $80 for the RAM. SSD is the way forward for all machines so you'd get 256GB for $110. This total comes to $989. The MBP is just $670 more.

For that $670, you get a portable machine with a Retina IPS display and you get a powerful dedicated GPU and your resale value is higher. To get the faster PCIe storage, TB2, 802.11ac wifi, it's just another $40. It has Iris Pro, which is close to the 650M:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE293LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

If you want to leave it in clamshell and hook it to a display, that's ok or just use it as a second display. The laptops will be getting updated soon so the refurb prices might drop further.
post #1366 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think there's much point holding out for an iMac as the cheapest quad-i7 model is $1699 and that has a HDD glued inside it.

IMO, everyone holding out for a decent Mini with a good GPU should just get one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

Say that you wanted a quad-i7 and 8GB RAM in the Mini, this would be $799 + $80 for the RAM. SSD is the way forward for all machines so you'd get 256GB for $110. This total comes to $989. The MBP is just $670 more.

For that $670, you get a portable machine with a Retina IPS display and you get a powerful dedicated GPU and your resale value is higher. To get the faster PCIe storage, TB2, 802.11ac wifi, it's just another $40. It has Iris Pro, which is close to the 650M:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE293LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

If you want to leave it in clamshell and hook it to a display, that's ok or just use it as a second display. The laptops will be getting updated soon so the refurb prices might drop further.

That's kind of an expensive jump though, that 679 bucks could buy you a nice monitor with money left over. I would just buy a used iMac, there are some pretty incredible deals on eBay.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1367 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That's kind of an expensive jump though, that 679 bucks could buy you a nice monitor with money left over. I would just buy a used iMac, there are some pretty incredible deals on eBay.

The laptop comes with a monitor and if you had to get a monitor and kb/mouse for the Mini, the difference in price drops further.

Used models on eBay don't always come with a warranty. Refurbs get a full year and you can extend it to 3 years.

As for the extra cost, like I say it has higher resale value so it evens out.
post #1368 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It has more value though. $300 for a portable computer is a good price and Apple's competitors make little to no profit margin.
AIOs have been experiencing double digit growth while the overall PC industry is declining or growing very slowly:

"the market for AIOs is growing fast—more than 20 percent in the first half of 2013, according to IDC, which makes it the fastest-growing desktop form factor in North America"
We will have to see how valid that research is. As it is right now I just don't see huge demand for all in ones. If it was that hot of a product i'd be seeing them in stores and regularly promoted in sales fliers and such.
Quote:

They don't make up a majority of the desktop sales but towers are on the way down and AIOs on the way up. The only issue I've ever had with AIOs is locking the storage inside, especially with HDDs. If they move the storage outside and solder the RAM on, it's no problem at all.
I have no doubt Tower sales are on the way down, that has been the trend in industry for years now.
Quote:
It's more cost-effective for the buyer because they aren't paying margins to multiple manufacturers:
In the case of Apples products you have all of the margins going to one vendor. The consumer doesn't always win here. Further all in ones simply aren't good long term values that can be expensive to repair. It would be interesting to see a little research on this, but maybe i'm odd considering the length of time I keep computing hardware.
Quote:

It's more profitable for the manufacturer as they are able to sell more of their own product to the buyer. It's probably easier to support too.
There is no doubt that support for the manufacture is easy. However for the consumer support, especially repairs are excessively expensive unless you are a strong DIY type person.
Quote:
That consumer need doesn't exist in high demand. People keep saying Apple needs to focus on the Mini but as I said, the iMac is 4x more profitable for them so they don't rely on the Mini at all. It will never drive their desktop business.
Neither does the Mac Pro but realistically they have to have an offering for that market to retina any sort of credibility. If they drop a reasonably priced desktop Mac from the line up they might as well punt and get rid of the iMac too. As a vendor you are expected to cover a range of customers needs.

I hate to use auto manufacturing as an example but since these are desktops we might as well compare them to trucks. Ford could easily say that a one ton pickup (Mac Pro) is good enough for everybody. However that is likely to push customers away that have lighter duty needs (Mini).
Quote:
They've done a great job with it up until now but consumers simply haven't been buying it as much as the iMac and this would still be the case if they updated it.
Well no, that isn't the case at all. I'm not about to buy the machine without an update and I suspect that is the feeling of a lot of Mini customers. The other big frustration here is that the machine really needs a performance boost in the same vain as the Mac Book Airs, that is put one of those blade SSD's in the machine and give it the capability to run higher wattage processors.
post #1369 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

The mini is likely to remain 1 gen back behind the iMac now that it's gone IGP.  Otherwise a Core i7 Haswell mini would significantly erode iMac sales.

I hear this all the time and frankly each time I hear it all I think is that this is bull shit. Seriously I have zero desire right now for an iMac.
post #1370 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

At $99 it would impact iOS device sales a lot.
It is a machine hooked to a TV, how would anything suggested impact the sales of other iOS devices. If anything it would increase sales.
Quote:
 It would likely have to be at least $199 for 16GB and no better than an A5
($30 cheaper than an equivalent iPod touch) and probably $349 for an A7 ($50 less than the retina iPad).
I'm certain Apple would charge more for a machine as described. However the flip side here is that every component in an Apple TV is cheeper today than when it was first introduced.
Quote:

The business model is relatively inexpensive apps for expensive hardware.  The profits aren't nearly as good for app sales to want to switch business models.

There is certainly a different business model here but as I said it isn't hugely different than what is happening right now with AppleTV. That is my point, the concept is more or less an extension of what Apple already does with AppleTV.
post #1371 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is a machine hooked to a TV, how would anything suggested impact the sales of other iOS devices. If anything it would increase sales.

 

My kid only plays games on iOS.  Connected to a TV is better now there are usable controllers and more game support for controllers.  There's less of a need to buy an iPad for him.

 

Quote:
There is certainly a different business model here but as I said it isn't hugely different than what is happening right now with AppleTV. That is my point, the concept is more or less an extension of what Apple already does with AppleTV.

 

Except the AppleTV isn't a very significant moneymaker in comparison to other hardware.  It's still treated more as an accessory for iOS devices than its own platform.

post #1372 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hear this all the time and frankly each time I hear it all I think is that this is bull shit. Seriously I have zero desire right now for an iMac.

 

That you don't want an iMac is not important.  For Apple the primary concern is to maintain margins AND ASP.  The $1100 iMac is a better sale for them than an $800 mini.  Especially since the CPU is cheaper and the display+KB+mouse isn't $300.

post #1373 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I don't think there's much point holding out for an iMac as the cheapest quad-i7 model is $1699 and that has a HDD glued inside it.

IMO, everyone holding out for a decent Mini with a good GPU should just get one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

Say that you wanted a quad-i7 and 8GB RAM in the Mini, this would be $799 + $80 for the RAM. SSD is the way forward for all machines so you'd get 256GB for $110. This total comes to $989. The MBP is just $670 more.

For that $670, you get a portable machine with a Retina IPS display and you get a powerful dedicated GPU and your resale value is higher. To get the faster PCIe storage, TB2, 802.11ac wifi, it's just another $40. It has Iris Pro, which is close to the 650M:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE293LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

If you want to leave it in clamshell and hook it to a display, that's ok or just use it as a second display. The laptops will be getting updated soon so the refurb prices might drop further.

 

I was pretty much going to just build a CustoMac Mini Deluxe from the tonymacx86 site:

 

Amazon pricing

 

$130 Motherboard

$320 Core i7-4770K 

$180 16GB RAM 

$135 256GB SSD 

$85 550W PSU

$110 Case

$90 GT640

$50 misc stuff (cables, heat sink compound, etc)

 

$1100

 

Losing TB is a shame but the Gigabyte Z87 ATX has TB for $202 but I don't know if it's supported in OSX.

post #1374 of 1506
Originally Posted by nht View Post

$90 GT640


Is this just for budget considerations? I’ve read the GTX 670 (or was it 760… pretty sure it’s 760) is the best bang for your buck right now…

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #1375 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


Is this just for budget considerations? I’ve read the GTX 670 (or was it 760… pretty sure it’s 760) is the best bang for your buck right now…

There are now tweakers who are flashing their 670, 680 and 690's into Quadro cards and it seems to work, though you don't get the benefit of ECC memory. Who cares though. still very cool.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1376 of 1506
Drop the discreet GPU and you come closer to the price of a Mini. I think your prices highlight though the futility of building your own for a cost savings. It is great fun having built a few Linux machines in my time, but even back in the day it wasn't a huge savings in the final cash laid out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I was pretty much going to just build a CustoMac Mini Deluxe from the tonymacx86 site:

Amazon pricing

$130 Motherboard
$320 Core i7-4770K 
$180 16GB RAM 
$135 256GB SSD
One thing to look out for is that the smaller SSDs can see a huge performance difference between them and something like a 512 GB drive.
Quote:
 
$85 550W PSU
$110 Case
$90 GT640
$50 misc stuff (cables, heat sink compound, etc)

$1100

Losing TB is a shame but the Gigabyte Z87 ATX has TB for $202 but I don't know if it's supported in OSX.

Don't forget shipping! If you can't get free shipping you can easily blow out the cost of the hardware.

Also loosing TB May or May not be a problem depending upon how things develop in the next year or two. Personally I'd want it there, especially TB 2. In something like the Mini TB2, is a huge advantage.
post #1377 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I was pretty much going to just build a CustoMac Mini Deluxe from the tonymacx86 site:

Amazon pricing

$130 Motherboard
$320 Core i7-4770K 
$180 16GB RAM 
$135 256GB SSD 
$85 550W PSU
$110 Case
$90 GT640
$50 misc stuff (cables, heat sink compound, etc)

$1100

Losing TB is a shame but the Gigabyte Z87 ATX has TB for $202 but I don't know if it's supported in OSX.

That seems like a lot of hassle to put that kind of box together. It's not that small either:



You would be saving ~$600 vs the rMBP but the spec isn't much higher and the laptop is zero hassle, it's portable and fully compatible with OS X. Like I say, the price difference is largely negligible when you factor in resale value, especially on a custom PC. When the 2014 rMBPs arrive, the early 2013 refurbs might even get a further $100 knocked off.
post #1378 of 1506
Wow that is one ugly case, I personally only use cases from InWin particularly the H-Frame series.

1373953745_three_color_3.png


My Build
In Win H-Frame Mini (Green) (180 WATT)
EVGA Z97 Stinger Core 3D LGA 1150 Mini-ITX 2 DIMM Dual-Channel DDR3 2666MHz+
Intel Core i7-4770S Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.1 GHZ 8 MB (64 WATT)
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2666MHz
Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5-inch
PNY Nvidia Quadro K2000 Low Profile Kepler Graphics Card (40 WATT) (Yes this card runs just fine with OSX)
Price: $1,264.31

A Little more money, but looks a lot better and runs cooler.

The 4770K has a CPU benchmark of 10304 and the 4770s is 9581, but it's the difference in wattage that I really care about.

So if you're going to do a Frankintosh, make it cool looking.
Edited by Relic - 6/19/14 at 9:30am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1379 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Is this just for budget considerations? I’ve read the GTX 670 (or was it 760… pretty sure it’s 760) is the best bang for your buck right now…

 

Yah, I was being cheap.  The 760 is like 4 times as fast or something which is a great deal for being only around 2 times as expensive.

post #1380 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Drop the discreet GPU and you come closer to the price of a Mini. I think your prices highlight though the futility of building your own for a cost savings. It is great fun having built a few Linux machines in my time, but even back in the day it wasn't a huge savings in the final cash laid out.

 

I need a windows box anyway and I have a i7 rMBP so it's not for saving money really.  Still it should be more powerful than the entry level iMac for around the same cost.

 

Quote:
One thing to look out for is that the smaller SSDs can see a huge performance difference between them and something like a 512 GB drive.
Don't forget shipping! If you can't get free shipping you can easily blow out the cost of the hardware.

 

Yah, the 512s are faster but even then that's not really enough space so I'll have to still rely on HDDs.

 

I priced Amazon because I think most of those parts are part of Prime.

 

Quote:
Also loosing TB May or May not be a problem depending upon how things develop in the next year or two. Personally I'd want it there, especially TB 2. In something like the Mini TB2, is a huge advantage.

 

The case is rather large and has room for a couple more drives.  I'm not sure what other TB devices I would own in the near future.

post #1381 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That seems like a lot of hassle to put that kind of box together. It's not that small either:

 

It's a desktop.  It needs to be small why?  I like Relic's case better since it is pretty so I can understand if you want to say the case is boring or ugly.  But small isn't a requirement.

 

As far hassle goes, its more annoying to break into a mini and worry about breaking tabs much less an iMac.

 

Quiet could be a requirement.  Opting for quieter parts would increase the cost some.

 

Quote:
You would be saving ~$600 vs the rMBP but the spec isn't much higher and the laptop is zero hassle, it's portable and fully compatible with OS X. Like I say, the price difference is largely negligible when you factor in resale value, especially on a custom PC. When the 2014 rMBPs arrive, the early 2013 refurbs might even get a further $100 knocked off.

 

I dunno that I've ever sold any or my macs.  I hand them down.  My kids have a core duo mini that will get retired but the resale value of that must be pretty negligible.  Somewhere in my basement is an old Quicksilver that by the time I retired it was pretty much worthless as well.

 

As for the specs...it's comparable because I chimped out on the GPU.  The 760 is $150 more.  I have the $2600 Late 2013 2.3 GHz rMBP with the 750M.  A $1300 build with the GTX760 and 3.5 Ghz 4770K should be much faster than my almost top end rMBP.  

 

More importantly it has 16GB RAM...which the two refurbs don't.  Right now with just Eclipse, Outlook and Safari running my activity monitor shows 9.9GB used.  Now a big chunk of that is file cache but I don't have VMWare Fusion running or any other of my memory hungry apps running.  I guess if I was reselling I wouldn't care so much but RAM is just one of those things that contribute to extended snappy longevity.


Edited by nht - 6/19/14 at 10:39am
post #1382 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wow that is one ugly case, I personally only use cases from InWin particularly the H-Frame series.

 

Yep, sure is ugly.  Yes, I would probably spring for the H-Frame although the low profile card slot limits some GPU options.  Alas the red is $20 more than the green.

Quote:
 The 4770K has a CPU benchmark of 10304 and the 4770s is 9581, but it's the difference in wattage that I really care about.

 

How quiet is your build?

 

Quote:
So if you're going to do a Frankintosh, make it cool looking. 

 

Absolutely.

post #1383 of 1506
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
So if you're going to do a Frankintosh, make it cool looking.

 

Okay, I love that word. Unfortunately, it seems like it wouldn’t apply, would it? Hackintosh for something hobbled together from other parts and Frankentosh for a proper Mac with non-standard hardware…

 

Or maybe not. After all, OS X is the “brain” and all the other components of the body came from elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #1384 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post


How quiet is your build?


Near silent except for the GPU but I plan on removing the fan and replacing it with a passive cooled solution. Though it's not priority as you have to put your ear up to the case to really hear it. GPU performance wasn't my main goal for this machine, the Quadro is more then enough power for me, especially when compared to any of the embedded solutions found in similar sized computers. I've always had at least one machine that I built myself to guarantee complete openness and compatibility with whatever OS's that I want to play with. Well that and I like to tinker, the H-Frame series of cases are absolutely fantastic, their all aluminum design and open design not only allows for better cooling but look amazing.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1385 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, I love that word. Unfortunately, it seems like it wouldn’t apply, would it? Hackintosh for something hobbled together from other parts and Frankentosh for a proper Mac with non-standard hardware…

Or maybe not. After all, OS X is the “brain” and all the other components of the body came from elsewhere.

They actually work surprisingly well when done correctly but their defiantly not a replacement for the real thing. It's nothing but a hobby solution and I would in no way suggest someone making one to be used as a production machine. Home use and if gaming is your thing, sure why not.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #1386 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

[ VIDEO ]

All that work, and then after the P.O.S.T. ...Windows!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #1387 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I have the $2600 Late 2013 2.3 GHz rMBP with the 750M.  A $1300 build with the GTX760 and 3.5 Ghz 4770K should be much faster than my almost top end rMBP.

The i7-4770k gets 769 in Cinebench 15, the rMBP gets 601. The CPU would be 28% faster. Negligible in real-world scenarios.
The 760 would be over 100% faster than the 650M/750M though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

More importantly it has 16GB RAM...which the two refurbs don't.  Right now with just Eclipse, Outlook and Safari running my activity monitor shows 9.9GB used.  Now a big chunk of that is file cache but I don't have VMWare Fusion running or any other of my memory hungry apps running.  I guess if I was reselling I wouldn't care so much but RAM is just one of those things that contribute to extended snappy longevity.

Given that you have a high-end rMBP, why bother with the desktop? You aren't gaining that much performance except for the GPU.
post #1388 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The i7-4770k gets 769 in Cinebench 15, the rMBP gets 601. The CPU would be 28% faster. Negligible in real-world scenarios.
The 760 would be over 100% faster than the 650M/750M though.
Given that you have a high-end rMBP, why bother with the desktop? You aren't gaining that much performance except for the GPU.

 

I travel and it goes with me...kids have an older mini and it's okay but beach balls a bit.

post #1389 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I travel and it goes with me...kids have an older mini and it's okay but beach balls a bit.

So it's more of a replacement for their old Mini. You mentioned your usage requirements but if the kids are using it, surely they won't be running VMs etc. Also a laptop gives the benefit that when you go on holiday, they can take it and effectively have a portable XBox/PS3. Set it up as a Steam machine for them with wired 360 controllers and they can even plug two in for multiplayer. Then when it comes to hand-me downs, give them your current rMBP, sell their refurb and put the money towards a 2015/2016 rMBP.
post #1390 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So it's more of a replacement for their old Mini. You mentioned your usage requirements but if the kids are using it, surely they won't be running VMs etc. Also a laptop gives the benefit that when you go on holiday, they can take it and effectively have a portable XBox/PS3. Set it up as a Steam machine for them with wired 360 controllers and they can even plug two in for multiplayer. Then when it comes to hand-me downs, give them your current rMBP, sell their refurb and put the money towards a 2015/2016 rMBP.

 

It's more of an excuse for daddy to buy a computer "for the kids to use".

 

Steam is an idea I hadn't considered.  Still for $1600ish I'd rather buy a 32GB iPad Mini Retina LTE for travel ($550ish) and spend around grand on a computer for normal home use.  I'll probably get a Playstation Vita TV this fall unless AppleTV gets games in the same timeframe.  Those are small enough to travel with.  Between that and a couple iPads the gaming and movie aspects are more than covered both at home and on the road.  

 

Especially since 2 iPads > 1 uber laptop when you have 2 kids.

 

Mostly they need a computer for MS Office.  The school uses macs (nice 27" iMacs) so being able to run OSX is a plus but not a requirement. 

 

In any case $1600 fails the WAF.

post #1391 of 1506
Thread Starter 
So I just noticed that Apple changed the order of their computers in the Apple Store.

It used to go as of not so long ago...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro

Now it goes...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini

Is this another sign that the mini is on its way out or does it mean it could be updated soon?
post #1392 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

So I just noticed that Apple changed the order of their computers in the Apple Store.

It used to go as of not so long ago...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro

Now it goes...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini

Is this another sign that the mini is on its way out or does it mean it could be updated soon?

I think it means that they changed the order of their Macs from left to right. That's it; no reason for alarm. Your eye for detail is commendable though, but they haven't changed the order of Macs on the Mac page (http://www.apple.com/mac/):




If you really see this as a sign I'd say they might indicate their best sellers from left to right, with the Mac Pro being the low volume model on the far right.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #1393 of 1506

Just a bump since there hasn't been any real news regarding mini.

I'm considering jumping on the base i5 that Best Buy has on sale for $489.99.

 

Either that or going with the Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p that at least has Haswell.

post #1394 of 1506

Go with the MM you will not be disappointed.Lenovo has quality control problems and break down a lot. I had 3 already with no luck.

post #1395 of 1506
Yes I dug up this old thread!


How many out there think that the new Mini might actually be debuted at the September 9 th event? Some of us have come close to giving up hope but what if there has been a major refactoring of the Mini to better support the new initiatives?

Frankly I'm not sure how the new initiatives would meld into a Mini. However the irrational delay in a new Mini release has me thinking a refocused device, maybe along the lines of the digital hub concept. Of course Apple could do some of this with an IOS device.
post #1396 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

How many out there think that the new Mini might actually be debuted at the September 9 th event? Some of us have come close to giving up hope but what if there has been a major refactoring of the Mini to better support the new initiatives?

I'm sure they've coincided some Mac updates with the September event before but if they decide to do it, I expect a Mini update to be something minor. They had a Mac and iPad event last October so they might choose to do the same this year.
post #1397 of 1506
Thread Starter 
I will be shocked if a new mini is introduced on 9/9. I have become accustomed to disappointment.
post #1398 of 1506

So will I be surprised also.I doubt it truthfully speaking.

post #1399 of 1506
Thread Starter 
And also here's the thing. Until Apple either introduces a new mini or a better mini replacement, I will not be buying Apple products.
post #1400 of 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm sure they've coincided some Mac updates with the September event before but if they decide to do it, I expect a Mini update to be something minor.
This is the thing if it does happen on 9/9 Id expect to be somewhat radical and tied to the initiatives that Apple will be promoting then. Honestly it wouldn't make sense unless it was tied in some way to what is revealed on 9/9. Maybe optimization for HomeKit, a built in inductive charger or whatever. My mind can run wild here.
Quote:

They had a Mac and iPad event last October so they might choose to do the same this year.

That would certainly add to the frustration of Mini users.

One thing that plays in my head over and over yet would be simple for Apple is an environment sensor package. This could be built into the Mini or be offered up as a Bluetooth puck. The idea here is to turn that machine into more of a digital hub that has been promoted on an off by Apple. IBeacons come to mind here, thus I could see a suite of iBeacons demonstrated that might augment the digital hub idea.

Of course Todays mobile devices are smart enough to connect to these devices themselves but they aren't in the home 100% of the time. For home automation you really need a computer in the home 24/7. A Mini could handle this task in background without breaking a sweat. Want to know what is happening in your home, pop up a local web server that is your home automation system.

The ideas are endless here and in some cases the Mini would have no new hardware just a software package. In this case real world interfacing would rely upon devices connected by Blutooth, WiFi or Ethernet.

In any event im off on a tangent here just trying to speculate on why the Mini is so late and why it might fit in on 9/9.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist