or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist

2014 Mac mini Wishlist - Page 15

post #561 of 1299

It's not like iMacs are made out of balsa wood and pritt sticked together.

The aluminium and glass exude quality.

The LED is vibrant and punchy with great colour.

The 680MX drives a very hi-res screen.  It's very powerful and handles 3D with ease.  (Even the 650GT is no slouch...for 1080p...)

8 gigs of ram - plenty.  I remember when Photoshop and Lightwave suggested 256 megs of ram... ;)

1TB, loads of space.

The lack of desktop clutter with cables.

The i7 is the iMac's coming of age cpu.  It's great.  Very, very accomplished...performer.

If you want to get inside the machine you'll be disappointed.  But it's not really necessary.  It's a world class machine designed by the best AIO team in the world.  If you want extra storage punch?  There's USB and TB ports to 'plug it in.'

It's a work of art.

In use, it's a dream.  But without Mac OS X it would be all for nothing.

For me, it's the ultimate desktop Mac...or Mac of any kind.  (Though the iMac's legacy will no doubt be the iPad...and the iPhone...)  Other's can wait for a pro or a mini with improved graphics.  You'll be waiting a while though.

In the meantime...there's value and(!) performance with the iMac.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #562 of 1299

Sorry, the future?

6-8 cores?

16 gigs standard?

SSD standard?

Retina screen?

Even faster gpus than the 680MX?!

From where I'm sitting the iMac (r)evolution continues...it's steady climb to power.

Lemon Bon Bon. :P

post #563 of 1299

A 4k screen would be gorgeous. 

The one in the 27 incher is gorgeous.  But a 4k screen would blow the doors off...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #564 of 1299
I have to read all of your posts more thoroughly to really digest them but if I buy an iMac it will be with my money only and for me only, not to share. : P

My current mini has an SSD in it (Samsung 470) so it flies for basic use.

I still have plenty of time to decide.
post #565 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Apple are all about the upsell.  Otherwise they wouldn't have castrated the Mini's GPU's (or lack of) capabilities.

You can think the marketing team needs slapping.  But Apple have reaped Billions in profit...
Not from the Mac desktop line up. It is pretty silly to equate Apples current success with success of the desktop line up. Sales are flat for the iMac and receding for the Mac Pro and Mini. We can argue about why but immcertainthe big issue is that nobody wants to pay good money for the configurations Apple offers.
Quote:
...after long since leaving the notion behind of an upgradable tower or cube concept.  (The G3 Blue and White tower and the Cube are: history.)
Which has effectively locked Apple out of many use cases for years now. It is one reason businesses resist using Mac hardware for the run of the mill business needs.
Quote:
...and it doesn't look like those days are coming back.  We've been on overpriced Mac Pros for ten years now.  That's your tinker box, Wizard.
Well I'm not sure the Mac Pro has been as overpriced as it has been in the last couple of years. The problem is it really seems like nobody at Apple grasps why the machine isn't selling well. Being perceived as overpriced and underpowered is death in the workstation market.

In a nut shell you really have to wonder about a management team that would let a product like the Mac Pro slip as much as it has. It use to be a product worth buying, now it is an outdated machine that hasn't had a decent update in years and sadly doesn't support some of the most important technologies Apple has.
Quote:
It's out of date and it will cost you.
Exactly! So who's fault is that?
Quote:
Keep hoping for something else though...hope is part of the human condition.
The hope for something else is related to the idea that Apple might just recognize that they could actually move a desktop machine in quantity if they got the price and configuration right.
Quote:
The closest you're going to get is an overpriced Mini with integrated crappics that will be a 'bit' better with Haswell or an over (heh) Pro if Apple gets around to updating it.
You seem to have a very negative attitude with respect to integrated graphics. Remember that a process shrink will allow them to double the GPU size if they really want too. So even if Haswell doesn't live up to expectations the Mini will become a far better graphics / compute platform than it has been with the follow on to Haswell. That is if Apple can pull head from ass and get to work on the GPU drivers.
Quote:
Apple's all about the AIO.  (But weren't they always?)  And that's the bulk of 'Macs' they sell.  Almost 5 million like Apple Mac AIOs.  
No they haven't always been this bad. They did have at one time desktop computers at reasonable prices. The expensive Mac Pro kick is a recent marketing strategy that obviously has fallen flat on its face.
Quote:
 And they perform 'just fine' for the majority...otherwise I'd guess they'd throw together an overclocked, sli-rage machine for a cheaper price.
The average user has left the Mini and Pro on the shelf. The IMac is flat sales wise. I'm not sure how you see this as a successful marketing program.
Quote:
Just buy yourself a Windows tower and stick Linux on it.  You can have whatever gpu you like.  And there's plenty of 'cube' style shuttle cases for you to wonder re: form factor.  Add a screw driver and you'll be happy.
I already run a number of Linux machines for special purposes. Linux isn't what I'd want as my primary desktop machine though. It is very likely that Apples hardware lineup will force me onto a laptop to get a machine that is a decent performer and value.
Quote:
Rather than wishing Apple would cater just to you and a 'few' others re: a Cube concept they left behind years ago...

Lemon Bon Bon.
You got me all wrong here, I want to see Apple revitalize the desktop before they cancel the whole lineup. That affects us all. The form factor of the machine doesn't matter, what you get for your money does. Hell I'd buy a Mac Pro if it was priced right for the expected performance level. I'd even consider a Mini if it was properly supported and at the right performance level.

Apples desktop line up is a perfect example of what happens when you put way to much effort into an artificial product line up. That is the tiering that Apple applies to models that alienates the people most likely to buy a desktop machine in the first place.
post #566 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It's not like iMacs are made out of balsa wood and pritt sticked together.
It might as well be made out of Balsa if the machine doesn't fit your needs.
Quote:
The aluminium and glass exude quality.
For some appearance can be everything.
Quote:
The LED is vibrant and punchy with great colour.
Which only means something if that is the screen you expect or want to use. One of the big reasons to avoid the iMac is in fact the screen you are so in love with.
Quote:
The 680MX drives a very hi-res screen.  It's very powerful and handles 3D with ease.  (Even the 650GT is no slouch...for 1080p...)

8 gigs of ram - plenty.  I remember when Photoshop and Lightwave suggested 256 megs of ram... 1wink.gif
Actually it is plenty for your use and buying schedule, others may have significant issues with 8GB of RAM.
Quote:
1TB, loads of space.
Again highly debatable. The real problem is the lack of an easy way to upgrade that disk. Even the Mini has gotten easier in that regard.
Quote:
The lack of desktop clutter with cables.

The i7 is the iMac's coming of age cpu.  It's great.  Very, very accomplished...performer.
Which pretty much applies to any computer made with modern Intel hardware.
Quote:
If you want to get inside the machine you'll be disappointed.  But it's not really necessary.  It's a world class machine designed by the best AIO team in the world.  If you want extra storage punch?  There's USB and TB ports to 'plug it in.'
And suffer all the reliability issues associated with keeping those cables plugged in. It is interesting that you promote plugging in in one paragraph after previously champion the lack of cables.
Quote:
It's a work of art.

In use, it's a dream.  But without Mac OS X it would be all for nothing.
I'm sure it does work like a dream. Some of us dream of that sort of performance in a more flexible platform.
Quote:
For me, it's the ultimate desktop Mac...or Mac of any kind.  (Though the iMac's legacy will no doubt be the iPad...and the iPhone...)  Other's can wait for a pro or a mini with improved graphics.  You'll be waiting a while though.
Err no, a new Mini should arrive with Haswell. Given of course that Intel gets all the bugs out and starts to ship silicon acceptable to Apple.
Quote:
In the meantime...there's value and(!) performance with the iMac.

Lemon Bon Bon.

It is only a good value if the platform fits your needs. I know you have an inherent need to champion this machine, but in doing so you have fallen death to what other people are saying. The entire desktop sales picture isn't all that rosy, and that includes the iMac. We might see good numbers for this quarter but that could very well be a blip due to Apple not having iMacs for sale for months and the general backlog afterwards. The overall trend in desktop sales has been looking pretty bleak for a while now. New products, indeed new concepts would do a lot to turn that around. Right now Apple has a lot of bitter desktop customers that are really wondering if Apple is about to punt.
post #567 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I have to read all of your posts more thoroughly to really digest them but if I buy an iMac it will be with my money only and for me only, not to share. : P
Don't allow yourself to be harassed into buying an iMac. You may change your mind but do so because you believe it is the right course of action. In the past I found the iMac to be so offensive that I ended up buying a MBP instead.

Lemon has his point of view but honestly it sounds like somebody that has been brain washed by one of those fake religious cults. The iMac is at once a great accomplishment but also a terrible solution for many users. Lemon can't seem to grasp such a concept.
Quote:
My current mini has an SSD in it (Samsung 470) so it flies for basic use.
If I remember correctly your issue with the Mini is graphics capability for gaming. As much as I'm with you on the need for massive improvements here, I can see Apple once again castrating the Mini even with Haswell. I really don't think they get it, people don't want a half assed Mini. As I have said before the entry level Mini isn't the problem, the problem is the lack of real upgrades that give you a suitable uptick in GPU performance. The 2011 Mini with a GPU was a joke of an implementation and sadly Apples solution to the problem was to can the model. That is really stupid on their part and is in part a factor in the decline of Apples desktop line up.
Quote:
I still have plenty of time to decide.

Yes you do, so don't rush. In a nut shell July is only three (really closer to two)months away, supposedly the new hardware will be out around that time from Intel. If Apple is on the ball this year we will see new Minis shortly there after. More so we should start to see new platforms from Apple which hopefully will lead to a readjustment of the pricing structure. Yes I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro by July and a restructuring of Apples hardware line up. Dreaming yes but I think they need to do something soon. They obviously blew it when it came to pricing the laptops, thus leading to the mid course correction, so maybe they have learned their lesson about gouging people.

Yeah dreaming but it has gotten to the point that Apple is so full of themselves that it is starting to hurt sales.

😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰
post #568 of 1299
I am almost certain I will buy a mini since flash storage is not offered with the 21.5" iMacs and I cannot afford a 27" at the moment.
post #569 of 1299
That is another thing about Apple their flash storage options suck. They don't even list HD options for the entry level machine.
Quote:

I am almost certain I will buy a mini since flash storage is not offered with the 21.5" iMacs and I cannot afford a 27" at the moment.
Just hope that the stirage options don't go the way of the GPU that was in the 2011 Mini. Right no Apple is so unpredictable you don't know what might happen.
post #570 of 1299
Hopefully they'll have a 512 GB SSD option.
post #571 of 1299
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
They obviously blew it when it came to pricing the laptops…

Yeah dreaming…

I'm glad you recognize how ludicrous your own statement was.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #572 of 1299
All I play wizard are old games mostly through MAME. The Intel HD 3000 plays them just fine (and I'd hope they would) except for Gauntlet Legends. The Intel HD 4000 isn't a huge improvement over the HD 3000 but I think the 4600 or whatever is in the mini I buy will be.
post #573 of 1299

HD 3000 good enough for most games played. 4000 no big deal really.

post #574 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

HD 3000 good enough for most games played. 4000 no big deal really.

Really old games, sure.
post #575 of 1299

I know people who play various games with this 3000 processor. with no problems at all.

post #576 of 1299
Quote:

I know people who play various games with this 3000 processor. with no problems at all.

Playing games and being satisfied with performance is highly variable and personal. The reality is for most people, today's Intel integrated GPUs are a no go for gaming and other demanding uses of the GPU. Even today's best Intel offering can't keep up with last years AMD integrated GPU.

One of the big reasons I'm on hold for Haswell is that the GPU has the potential to be an effective replacement for the discrete GPU. For me that isn't even an issue of gaming as it isn't a big deal for me. OpenGL support is important for many technical apps as is OpenCL support.
post #577 of 1299
When I was first playing the Diablo III demo and it wasn't running well, I thought "It's obviously because of the mini." Later on, I would find out how many problems there were with Diablo III including hackers and the game just not quite being what Diablo I and II were.

So again, we're only talking about a game through MAME, which is Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

Haswell's graphics should be fine for me though I am upgrading to a quad core machine over a dual core.
post #578 of 1299

What ever suits your fancy.

post #579 of 1299
I wonder when exactly there will be soldered RAM in the mini as well as soldered flash storage? Hopefully not for another year or two.
post #580 of 1299

The way apple is going maybe when hell freezes over this might happen.

post #581 of 1299
RAM could happen anytime. It is almost a certainty as the specs for higher speed RAM arrays require a soldered in solution. On the other hand flash may never be soldered in due to its know wear characteristics.
Quote:

I wonder when exactly there will be soldered RAM in the mini as well as soldered flash storage? Hopefully not for another year or two.
post #582 of 1299
Quote:

RAM could happen anytime. It is almost a certainty as the specs for higher speed RAM arrays require a soldered in solution. On the other hand flash may never be soldered in due to its know wear characteristics.

So a regular SSD and soldered RAM? Eh all right. I just hope they eventually move to 8 GB standard. 4 is low enough for 10.8 let alone the eventual 10.9
post #583 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

By "matches", I'm assuming goes along with the appearance. I would say the only option there is Apple's own Thunderbolt Display. I don't expect there to be a significant market for 3rd-party Mini-specific displays. Mac Mini buyers seem to fall into several categories:

1) Replacing a computer and they already have a monitor.

2) Incorporating into a home theater, so using a TV as a display.

3) Very cost-sensitive and intend to skimp on the diplay.

4) Using as a low-cost server, either without any display, or where the display itself doesn't matter.

A Mac Mini and a Thuderbolt Display costs about the same as an iMac; with the benefit that the computer can be replaced (upgraded) independently of the display. However, recent iMacs have had the capability to be used as a display. I'm assuming the just-announced (late 2012) models can as well. If that is a concern, you can buy an iMac now, and then buy a Mini (or a PC with Thunderbolt/DisplayPort) when it's time to upgrade.

I use a LG TM2792S-SZ

....or also the AOC I2757FH

Edited by Relic - 4/27/13 at 1:37pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #584 of 1299
Quote:

So a regular SSD and soldered RAM?
I didn't say regular just that it won't be soldered in, in all likely hood. Beyond that flash could be a thing of the past fairly quickly.
Quote:
Eh all right. I just hope they eventually move to 8 GB standard. 4 is low enough for 10.8 let alone the eventual 10.9
This I would agree with. For what RAM costs Apple could easily upgrade thier machines to 8GB base.
post #585 of 1299
Quote:

I didn't say regular just that it won't be soldered in, in all likely hood. Beyond that flash could be a thing of the past fairly quickly.
This I would agree with. For what RAM costs Apple could easily upgrade thier machines to 8GB base.

And what would be in its place?
post #586 of 1299

HTML5. 1wink.gif

Perhaps he means MRAM?

post #587 of 1299

It is very hard for compact computer like the MM to have all this incorporated into this small storage space it has.I doubt SSD will be soldiered into this.

post #588 of 1299
Quote:

There are many options for next generation non volatile storage. Believe it or not I'm not the type of wizard that can predict the future. What you can do is look at what HP, IBM, Intel and others are doing in the way of research. HP for example seems to really want to bring its technology to market.

If one or more of these new technologies can solve the durability problems with flash we might see soldered in secondary store. I just don't see as huge of a pressing need as there is with RAM.
post #589 of 1299

You mentioned companies that are trying to compete with Apple and I hope they surpass Apple eventually.Apple has nothing really new at all.

post #590 of 1299
Apple has nothing really new at all.

You want to take these lies somewhere that people care about them, please?

post #591 of 1299

What lies this is the truth Apple has no one NEW PRODUCT yet! They are living off there reputation now.Improving their models is not new products to me or anyone who has the intelligence to see this.

post #592 of 1299
Quote:

What lies this is the truth Apple has no one NEW PRODUCT yet! They are living off there reputation now.Improving their models is not new products to me or anyone who has the intelligence to see this.

This is like saying in the middle of the year "Toyota has no one NEW PRODUCT yet!" a few months before the new models are out.

In this case, it's even more idiotic given the iPad Mini came out only 6 months ago which is a new product line (7" tablet), the iPad 3 years ago (redefined tablets), the MBA 5 years ago (new UltraBook Category), the iPhone 6 years ago (redefines smartphones), and arguably the 1 year old 2012 MBPr is a new product sub-category like the MBA the UHR or retina laptop (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ultra+high+res+laptops).

The mini is a 8 year old product line and the iMac a 15 year old one but jesus, there's not a whole lot of variables for desktops just like with sedans.  All the changes have been to create new categories of cars (minivans, SUVs, electric, etc) which is what apple has been doing (tablets, ultrabooks, smartphones).  Even there the iMac just got a complete body refresh and the mini went unibody in 2010 and the Pro is getting a revamp this year.

Yeah, only a super genius thinks that Apple is simply living off there (sic) reputation now.

post #593 of 1299
Quote:

Nor should they be expected to have an entirely new product. They have a tablet product line that can't even rationally be called mature nor entirely fleshed out yet so there is little pressing need for something entirely new.

As for Apple and new products their spending on R&D is growing by leaps and bounds, it is pretty obvious they have new products in the works as such don't get so worked up over the idea that you personally can't see them yet nor buy them. Frankly you strike me as an individual that has never really worked for a dollar in all his life nor has invested any time at all in the bringing of an entirely new product to market. These things take years and can often be set back multiple times with unforeseen issues or technology setbacks.

Think about this for a minute, Corning developed Gorila Glass sometime in the sixties! It wasn't until Aples iPhone that they had a suitable market for the glass. Sometimes synergy isn't instantaneous. From the perspective of Apple the iPhone, in its current form, isn't even possible without the new battery technology that Apple found for the platform. Without a doubt battery technology is a problem for any new wearable product that Apple might introduce. The fact is that when you are pushing the state of the art setbacks are always possible.
post #594 of 1299

Apple could easily upgrade their machines to 8GB base..

Or at least make it so that thre base memory config leaves room and ability for expansion i.e 1x 4gb chip not 2x2GB

post #595 of 1299

The i pad mini is  the same product only it is smaller. Big deal.Let Apple come out with something entirely brand new in this field and than i will agree with you.

post #596 of 1299
I had this idea in my mind that even though I wanted Apple to add more BTO options on their computers, they would never actually do it. Today I find out that flash storage options have been added to the 21.5" iMac.

post #597 of 1299
Quote:

I had this idea in my mind that even though I wanted Apple to add more BTO options on their computers, they would never actually do it. Today I find out that flash storage options have been added to the 21.

Nice isn't it?

However don't give them your money. Wait for the Haswell machines. Especially when they should be rather close.
post #598 of 1299
Quote:

Nice isn't it?

However don't give them your money. Wait for the Haswell machines. Especially when they should be rather close.

I will most definitely. I just believe the iMac is now a more attractive option for me.
post #599 of 1299

It is about time don't you think.

post #600 of 1299
Quote:

I will most definitely. I just believe the iMac is now a more attractive option for me.

If it floats your boat go the iMac route. I still have reservations mainly because I keep my computing hardware for a long time, eventually that hardware needs servicing and the iMac is a joke in that respect. It is actually easier to get inside Apples laptops these days. In any event the SSD option will go a very long way to making that machine perform in a modern way, I can understand your imterest in this set of options.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist