or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist

2014 Mac mini Wishlist - Page 19

post #721 of 1394

Okay. That's good to know. If killing SATA means less bulk and power savings, by all means!

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #722 of 1394
I am surprised that there hasn't even been any bs rumors from Digitimes on the mini or iMac lately. I am going crazy.
post #723 of 1394

WHY?

post #724 of 1394
Because it's what I care about. While I am most certainly glad the Mac Pro got an update, I hate this doubling down on secrecy. Then again, we haven't heard any news on the exact release date of the Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200.
post #725 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Because it's what I care about. While I am most certainly glad the Mac Pro got an update, I hate this doubling down on secrecy. Then again, we haven't heard any news on the exact release date of the Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200.

The new Iris configurations come in September.

As for secrecy I'd like to think Apple has clamped down but really it is likely an issue of a lack of interest these days.

Speaking of Mac Pro, if they got the base model price right would you consider going that route? I see a Base model being possible at well below $2000 if they really wanted too do so.
post #726 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Speaking of Mac Pro, if they got the base model price right would you consider going that route? I see a Base model being possible at well below $2000 if they really wanted too do so.

Kind of out of my budget and I can't see myself using that kind of machine. At best I can see myself using a quad core mini if it has the Iris Pro.
post #727 of 1394
Quote:

Kind of out of my budget and I can't see myself using that kind of machine. At best I can see myself using a quad core mini if it has the Iris Pro.

I understand budgets but you seem to be a frequent hardware purchaser so in the end it might be cheaper to buy a Mac Pro and keep it for a few years. That is if they can offer up a reasonably priced base model. Maybe I'm dreaming but I have to think part of the reason for the new Mac Pro design is to have a product they can be price competitive with.

In any event the approach has worked good for me, my 2008 MBP has lasted longer that I expected. The point was to buy the GPU for extended life compared to most other Mac hardware of the time. If you keep a Mac Pro for 6 years would it be better or worst for the budget?
post #728 of 1394
Not really. The 2011 Mac mini was my first Mac ever. Before that I bought an Intel Atom netbook from Radio Shack and before that my parents bought me a notebook from Staples that had 1 GB of RAM (same as the netbook).

I figure if I don't buy a 2013 mini, the next one won't be out until 2015.
post #729 of 1394
Quote:

Not really. The 2011 Mac mini was my first Mac ever. Before that I bought an Intel Atom netbook from Radio Shack and before that my parents bought me a notebook from Staples that had 1 GB of RAM (same as the netbook).

I figure if I don't buy a 2013 mini, the next one won't be out until 2015.
Don't be to firm on that thought, haswell successor could come faster than you might thinking. Assuming they can manage a process shrink for 2014 (not a given) 2014 could see the introduction of vastly improved processors. In a nut shel if they double the area to put electronics on, you could get close to the equivalent of two Haswell processors on a die. That is somewhat variable because intel does intend to increase integration.
post #730 of 1394
Hopefully they won't wait until the Haswell refresh to release a new mini and skip this year. That would suck! : (
post #731 of 1394
Hopefully they won't wait until the Haswell refresh to release a new mini and skip this year. That would suck! : (

Huh? Do you mean Broadwell? They won't do that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #732 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh? Do you mean Broadwell? They won't do that.

According to the Intel roadmap, the MQ mobile line will stay at 22 nm Haswell and the HQ line will go to 14 nm Broadwell.

http://www.techspot.com/news/53393-leaked-intel-roadmap-pegs-broadwell-for-2h-2014.html

VR-Zone obtained the roadmap, which shows Intel's H (all-in-one), U (Ultrabook) and Y (tablet) chips receiving a refresh to Broadwell in 2H 2014. Regular M-series mobile parts will stay using the Haswell microarchitecture during the same period, and desktop parts will see a Haswell refresh (Haswell-E) but no Broadwell. Intel is also expected to launch Ivy Bridge-E processors in September of this year, with a number of new Haswell parts also seen on the roadmap.
post #733 of 1394
So again if Iris Pro doesn't go with the mini, I'd like to see the $799 version have the 37W quad core which I believe is the i7-4702HQ or what is in the 14" Razer Blade.
post #734 of 1394

What if they do. So what is the big deal.

post #735 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If you are talking about Iris Pro it is a huge advancement for Intel and should be a very credible GPU. More importantly the Iris chips are OpenCL powerhouses for some codes. The big deal is vastly better all around performance out of the Mini.
post #736 of 1394
Quote:

What wizard said and I want a cooler quad core chip should they not use the Iris Pro.
post #737 of 1394

You get what Apple makes and that is it.

post #738 of 1394
Quote:

Well no, no one has to buy Apples products. Admittedly I enjoy my Apple products but I can use Linux based machines for some tasks. As it is I'm fairly confident tht Apple will do the right thing here. They actually have two options, put an Iris based Gaswell in the upsell Mini or completely refactor the machine to develop some synergy with the new Mac Pro release.

I'm actually hopeful that this discussion wupill be over in a couple of days.
post #739 of 1394
Quote:

Yes sir dad!

Anyway, if I am not happy with Apple's offerings I can always wait until Broadwell or until my current mini stops working. As I have said in the past, I am not in desperate need of new hardware but I always am in anticipation for it.
post #740 of 1394

Good thinking ability on your part.

post #741 of 1394
Quote:

Good thinking ability on your part.

Thanks dad. You're the bestest. Can you buy me one of the new Mac minis when it comes out for Christmas?

Anyway, Tallest and wizard... i3 for $499 as I said earlier. Is that possible?
post #742 of 1394
Quote:

Thanks dad. You're the bestest. Can you buy me one of the new Mac minis when it comes out for Christmas?

Anyway, Tallest and wizard... i3 for $499 as I said earlier. Is that possible?

Anything is possible but really an i3 in a Mini would be a step backwards even on the entry level machine. I'd rather see them use desktop parts than to go with i3 mobile.
post #743 of 1394
I'd rather see them use desktop parts than to go with i3 mobile.

I'll agree wholeheartedly here. The Mac Mini doesn't really seem slated for any sort of redesign any time soon, but if one is needed to jam a desktop chip in there, I'd lead the charge for that to happen. 

Not sure I see it happening, though. And hey, maybe better GPU if they keep it laptop.

post #744 of 1394
So it basically comes down to Iris vs. Iris Pro I would think.
post #745 of 1394
Quote:

I'll agree wholeheartedly here. The Mac Mini doesn't really seem slated for any sort of redesign any time soon, but if one is needed to jam a desktop chip in there, I'd lead the charge for that to happen. 

Not sure I see it happening, though. And hey, maybe better GPU if they keep it laptop.

Desktop class cpus in a similar tdp range can be more cost effective. It might be logical if they wanted to leverage the use of quad cpus down to the base model. Those "low power" desktop cpus tend to have hyperthreading disabled. One thing that occurs to me is that they would need enough options to fill the "good, better, best" lineup style unless they intended to fold things into cto options. I mention that as important, because otherwise you've split the line into different socket types with different logic boards and internal designs, different repair manuals, parts lists, etc. That would be an unlikely direction. It's the same reason I said we wouldn't see a 6 core imac in the near future. I said that a while ago, as nothing available in the socket type used by the imac supported a 6 core cpu. I didn't see Apple forking the line just to add one additional option, where I could see them doing such a thing if it could exist as cto. Notebooks get the best APU solutions as integrated graphics are still very much of a low budget solution on desktops. The gap is also much wider there when comparing to discrete graphics. On notebooks I think of discrete graphics as something like a 650m, as it was a popular choice in 15" notebooks.

post #746 of 1394
Quote:

It would be nice and could either lower the cost or up performance at the same price point. The interesting thing here is that some of the Haswell desktop chips would fit in a Mini today. I believe they go as low as 35 watts. I'd rather see the Minis heat capacity bumped up to 65 watts which would give use a decent desktop processor.

The only bad thing here is that apparently Iris isn't making it into desktop chips this year. I'm not really sure about this as Intel has made the line up so confusing you have to dedicate half a day to figure out what is available. I really want to see Iris in the Mini but in the end if they went desktop chips I think more people would benefit.
Quote:

This is the thing, Iris will remake the Mini into a far more interesting platform for a wider array of users. It is not however a cheap solution with Intel charring a premium for the feature. i don't blame Intel, but in this economy Apples entry level machine can not become more expensive, they really need to knock a hundred or so of that entry level price.
post #747 of 1394
Quote:

So it basically comes down to Iris vs. Iris Pro I would think.

Only in the up sell model. I would expect that the entry level machine would come with 4600 graphics and a lower performance CPU in general. Remember mini is also Apples entry level machine, they need to keep the price as low as possible on the low end unit. Iris would be saved for the middle of the road model.

The interesting thing here is what do they do with the server model. It is hard to justify Iris in what is supposedly a "server" but I'm not sure what Haswell chip would best fit that sort of usage. Ideally you would get four cores and lots of cache. Which makes me wonder if Mac OS can use the Iris Pros cache chip as system cache.
post #748 of 1394
So when is the next event seeing as how the one today revealed nothing interesting?
post #749 of 1394

October, I'd bet. Makes sense. Or the last week in September, doing all remaining Haswell Macs at once. 

post #750 of 1394
Intel's event was at the same time as Apple's and they at least launched the E5-2600v2 so the Mac Pro should be ready to go:

http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-4181

They've updated the price list with the new models ( http://intc.com/priceList.cfm ). Turns out the 12-core E5-2697v2 is $2614 so that's not going to be much cheaper than the old top-end Mac Pro, which had dual $1440 CPUs. The dual-core alternative at the same price point would have been dual E5-2660v2, which would be 20-core. It is clocked lower so best-case it would be 35% faster than the single CPU and maybe not that much. Having a single-socket motherboard will probably lower costs a bit but we'll see. I was expecting the 12-core to be around $2000, which would have dropped the price significantly but as usual, Intel spoils it all by jacking up the price.

Thunderbolt 2 is already in motherboards so unless they want to show it off with a 4K display in October, they should be able to ship the Mac Pro pretty soon.

The Intel keynote video had a few interesting things but they are going all out with this mobile stuff too. They had a Quark processor 1/5 the size of the Atom and 1/10th the power draw. They had a fanless 4.5W Haswell laptop on show and they have 14nm Broadwell in production.

Processors like the i7-4850HQ are supposed to be launched:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76086/Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

I notice they've put the i5 models on their site now but some are listed as Q4 2013:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75024/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors/mobile

The Mini could be waiting on the likes of this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76750/Intel-Core-i5-4330M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

Q4 starts in October so that'll be the earliest.
post #751 of 1394
The processor I'd like to see in the current Mini is i5-4670T, it would push the current design wattage wise but might be doable with improvements elsewhere. By the way that wold be an up sell model not the entry. The only quad core chips with 5200 graphics seem to start at 65 watts, too much for the Mini. At least the current design Mini. I still have this fantasy of a Mini Mac Pro with such a chip in it, maybe even a 85 watt chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Intel's event was at the same time as Apple's and they at least launched the E5-2600v2 so the Mac Pro should be ready to go:

http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-4181

They've updated the price list with the new models ( http://intc.com/priceList.cfm ). Turns out the 12-core E5-2697v2 is $2614 so that's not going to be much cheaper than the old top-end Mac Pro, which had dual $1440 CPUs. The dual-core alternative at the same price point would have been dual E5-2660v2, which would be 20-core. It is clocked lower so best-case it would be 35% faster than the single CPU and maybe not that much. Having a single-socket motherboard will probably lower costs a bit but we'll see. I was expecting the 12-core to be around $2000, which would have dropped the price significantly but as usual, Intel spoils it all by jacking up the price.
Is this the twelve core chip that was to be made out of two six core chips in the same package? That might explain some of the cost.
Quote:
Thunderbolt 2 is already in motherboards so unless they want to show it off with a 4K display in October, they should be able to ship the Mac Pro pretty soon.
Really, shipping motherboards?
Quote:
The Intel keynote video had a few interesting things but they are going all out with this mobile stuff too. They had a Quark processor 1/5 the size of the Atom and 1/10th the power draw. They had a fanless 4.5W Haswell laptop on show and they have 14nm Broadwell in production.
Intel is at risk of loosing all, they don't have much of a choice. Unfortunately the industry moved to ARM and Intel has nothing that really competes.
Quote:
Processors like the i7-4850HQ are supposed to be launched:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76086/Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

I notice they've put the i5 models on their site now but some are listed as Q4 2013:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75024/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors/mobile

The Mini could be waiting on the likes of this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76750/Intel-Core-i5-4330M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

Q4 starts in October so that'll be the earliest.

I alway thought the big hold up was TB2 which originally was to ship next year. One rumor was November / December in high quanities.
post #752 of 1394
Quote:

So when is the next event seeing as how the one today revealed nothing interesting?

Oh come on now, this was a very interesting reveal. Not so much because of iPhone which doesn't rock my boat but rather the new 64 bit ARM processor. If things go as in the past that means an enhanced version for the iPad later this year. I do care about the iPad so in this regard, this was the most interesting iPhone reveal in a long time.

Now I would agree it isn't Mac related but I use my iPad as much or more than the Mac these days.
post #753 of 1394
Quote:

Really, shipping motherboards?

As of yesterday, I can't see the one he mentioned on Newegg but he said it would be on sale right away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwTi_WY_Eco

IDF is still going on and there's new TB2 products on show:

http://www.techpowerup.com/190552/promise-to-exhibit-thunderbolt-2-technology-with-pegasus2-series-at-idf-2013.html

Promise says their products will ship in the Fall:

http://www.promise.com/news_room/news.aspx?m=208&region=en-US&rsn=1132
post #754 of 1394
Quote:

Oh come on now, this was a very interesting reveal. Not so much because of iPhone which doesn't rock my boat but rather the new 64 bit ARM processor. If things go as in the past that means an enhanced version for the iPad later this year. I do care about the iPad so in this regard, this was the most interesting iPhone reveal in a long time.

Now I would agree it isn't Mac related but I use my iPad as much or more than the Mac these days.

I would have rather had a combined event. The majority of time could be used for the iPhones and then you have maybe 20 minutes to announce the specs of the mini, iMac, and a release date for the Mac Pro.
post #755 of 1394
Quote:

I would have rather had a combined event. The majority of time could be used for the iPhones and then you have maybe 20 minutes to announce the specs of the mini, iMac, and a release date for the Mac Pro.

There is little sense in announcing anything if it isn't ready to ship! My take is that TB 2 is still a few weeks away from volume shipments, at least in the volumes Apple needs for the Mac Pro, iMac, Mini and Mac Book Pros.

I look at to this way, the longer these machines remain un updated the more likely hood that each machine get a major update including things like TB2. Yeah the wait sucks but it would be more frustrating to have a new machine out last month and then see Intel release all the good stuff they are revealing right now. Since Intels timetable has been more or less been known for months now, I just use that knowledge to calm my nerves.
post #756 of 1394
There is little sense in announcing anything if it isn't ready to ship! My take is that TB 2 is still a few weeks away from volume shipments, at least in the volumes Apple needs for the Mac Pro, iMac, Mini and Mac Book Pros.

I'm worried they won't put Thunderbolt 2 on the Mac Mini. I feel the only reason they're waiting to update it is to not have Haswell Mac Minis out alongside Ivy Bridge iMacs, just like they've always done…

They didn't wait for the MacBook Air, as it's a low-end consumer product; its user base doesn't really care. The same could be considered true of the Mac Mini.

post #757 of 1394

But if the Mac Pro is as expensive as it's rumoured to be, there's more than enough space between to put TB2 on the Mini.

It would be funny if the delay is not related to TB2, but putting the new Apple TV software back into Macs.

I mean really, shouldn't the $99 Apple TV be included with a $1699. MacBook Pro?

post #758 of 1394
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
But if the Mac Pro is as expensive as it's rumoured to be, there's more than enough space between to put TB2 on the Mini.

See, there, too; they have a server Mac Mini on which Thunderbolt 2 would be very desirable. We'll see.

It would be funny if the delay is not related to TB2, but putting the new Apple TV software back into Macs. 

That's obviously not going to happen. They want people to buy a TV device for a TV.

post #759 of 1394
Quote:

I look at to this way, the longer these machines remain un updated the more likely hood that each machine get a major update including things like TB2. Yeah the wait sucks but it would be more frustrating to have a new machine out last month and then see Intel release all the good stuff they are revealing right now. Since Intel's timetable has been more or less been known for months now, I just use that knowledge to calm my nerves.

Maybe it's just me though I feed on announcements. Hey we have this, it's coming out in x number of days or something provided supplies are ready.

Also I am not one to follow the crowd and whenever I go out to a bar, a restaurant, or a club I see people on their iPhones and it makes me not want one. I don't know of anyone besides me (outside of sites such as this) who has a Mac mini though I do know of people who have MacBook Pros.
post #760 of 1394
Quote:

Maybe it's just me though I feed on announcements. Hey we have this, it's coming out in x number of days or something provided supplies are ready.

Also I am not one to follow the crowd and whenever I go out to a bar, a restaurant, or a club I see people on their iPhones and it makes me not want one. I don't know of anyone besides me (outside of sites such as this) who has a Mac mini though I do know of people who have MacBook Pros.

So you tend to buy things because no one else has those things? That is down right weird. Do you avoid buying underwear because everybody else ( except for those really fun girls ) wears underwear? I really don't understand this mentality. I buy things that work well for me which is why I'm waiting on an iPad rev. Otherwise I don't really care what the rest of the world does, if everybody of the planet bought an Android tablet I'd still have an iPad. Vis versa if everyone had an iPad I'd still have one, it really makes no difference.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2014 Mac mini Wishlist