or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Recent third-gen iPad buyers may be able to exchange for newer model

Recent third-gen iPad buyers may be able to exchange for newer model

post #1 of 32
A number of third-generation iPad owners who recently purchased their device only to find out on Tuesday that their tablet is now obsolete, are reporting that certain Apple Stores are allowing swaps for the new fourth-generation model.

iPad 4

While it is unknown if the policy is active at all Apple Stores, some owners are finding success in swapping out their recently-purchased third-generation iPads for the fourth-generation version announced on Tuesday, reports CNET.

For those locations participating in the exchange, owners must have bought their iPad within the last 30 days. If the unit itself doesn't show serious signs of damage, there is a high likelihood that the store will waive the normal 14-day return policy.

Those owners who purchased a third-generation iPad within the past two weeks have the usual two-week Apple guarantee and should have no problem exchanging the device for the fourth-generation model at any Apple Store.

It should be noted that while AppleInsider confirmed the ability to exchange iPads with local Apple Stores, it is not a nationwide policy and customers need to call before bringing down their tablets for a swap out.
post #2 of 32
Obsolete? Oh please...
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Obsolete? Oh please...

My thoughts exactly.

post #4 of 32
I'm glad their doing exchanges on recent purchases but obsolete? The 3rd gen iPad is hardly obsolete. 1rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm glad their doing exchanges on recent purchases but obsolete? The 3rd gen iPad is hardly obsolete. 1rolleyes.gif

Did anyone hear if they are keeping  the iPad 2 and/or iPad 3 as discount or education options?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 32
Anything to keep the whiners happy... (rolleyes)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 32

FWIW - this is kinda of a jittery marketing move for Apple in my opinion.

Windows 8 is land sliding in later this week and I *think* Apple marketing doesn't want to

be perceived as selling an "older" product (from last Spring) in time for the holidays.

I mean think about it, there WILL be at least THREE dozen new Windows notebooks, tablets,

and phones out there on top of what Apple and Google/Android has to offer by November 1.

I'm not saying the iPad 3/4 is bad ( like the fan-boys that slam anything not-Apple)...

But this is a REALLY unusual move for Apple to drop another product 6 months after it introduced a new one.

post #8 of 32
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Did anyone hear if they are keeping  the iPad 2 and/or iPad 3 as discount or education options?

iPad 2 is being sold to the public still. 

The iPad 3 is completely discontinued.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPad 3 is completely discontinued.

More like rebranded and sold as refurbished for $379 right now. There will be a lot of them, since most people who bought them recently will exchange them for the latest version.

post #10 of 32

How will Apple differentiate 3 and 4 in the refurb store?

iPad with Retina display (early 2012)

iPad with Retina display (late 2012)

Who's going to buy 'early'???

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #11 of 32
It seems that the iPad 2 is becoming to the iPad range what the iPhone 3GS was for a few years to the iPhone range, before finally being retired to Apple heaven!
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Anything to keep the whiners happy... (rolleyes)

Actually Apple has done that with major products for as long as I can remember. I even took advantage of it once. I bought a Graphite G3 mini tower and it was delivered with an incorrect optical drive (or something.) When I called in the customers service person gave me the option of upgrading the machine as well as getting the proper optical drive (there had been a significant CPU speed bump that very day.) I was a bit surprised and he pointed out that it is standard policy. It is even written in the fine print of the sales agreement, and still is, I assume.

post #13 of 32

I bought my iPad 3 right when it came out, so I'm obviously not eligible for any exchange, but I don't think I'll be getting the iPad 4, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I'll pick up an iPad 5 in Nov 2013.

I am kind of digging the Mini though, I might have to get a few of those.

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

More like rebranded and sold as refurbished for $379 right now. There will be a lot of them, since most people who bought them recently will exchange them for the latest version.

There will probably not be as many as you think, at least not because of exchanges. Usually they only give exchanges for hardware upgrades to people who have received the "obsoleted" item within 2 weeks of the release of the "new and shiny" item. At least that's what the policy used to be.

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They dropped the price of the refurbed iPad 3, so I think that's what you might be referring to.

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

There will probably not be as many as you think, at least not because of exchanges. Usually they only give exchanges for hardware upgrades to people who have received the "obsoleted" item within 2 weeks of the release of the "new and shiny" item. At least that's what the policy used to be.

Well, check first.......  That's all I'm going to say about that.  You might actually luck out.

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The 30 pin/lightning connection.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Windows 8 is land sliding in later this week and I *think* Apple marketing doesn't want to

be perceived as selling an "older" product (from last Spring) in time for the holidays.

I mean think about it, there WILL be at least THREE dozen new Windows notebooks, tablets,

and phones out there on top of what Apple and Google/Android has to offer by November 1.

I'm not saying the iPad 3/4 is bad ( like the fan-boys that slam anything not-Apple)...

But this is a REALLY unusual move for Apple to drop another product 6 months after it introduced a new one.

The iPad 3 was announced about 8 months ago, not 6.  Remember, it's Oct, and these basically start shipping the begining of Nov.  That's more like 8 months, which was sometime I think Apple was mulling over.  Either way, I don't know if these surface tablets are going to compete against the iPad 4 processor/screen.  The surface tablet doesn't have as good of screen resolution and I think this A6X processor is going to be REAL fast.  

Windows 8 isn't going to get the sales they were expecting from the media reports I read, they didn't sell out of their top end models they day they announced pre-orders and they only released a small number to begin with, probably to be able to sell out. Microsoft is REAL shifty from my observation.  Now, the media is discussing that Ballmer might not be around too much longer.  Who the heck would Microsoft get to replace him?   They might have to have hold dance auditions to see if they can get someone to dance as badly as Ballmer to keep up the long standing Microsoft tradition.

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153701/recent-third-gen-ipad-buyers-may-be-able-to-exchange-for-newer-model#post_2217749"]I bought my iPad 3 right when it came out, so I'm obviously not eligible for any exchange, but I don't think I'll be getting the iPad 4, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I'll pick up an iPad 5 in Nov 2013.

I am kind of digging the Mini though, I might have to get a few of those.

Oh right because it's "cute" lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It is. lol.gif

I can see it being a great gift to give to females.lol.gif

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

This is definitely a break from the Jobs era. Where SJ seemed quite comfortable with a yearly release schedule, TC seems to want to keep the sales rolling by staying one (or more) steps ahead of the competition. A few of us on the board had been saying that we wished Apple would step up its release cycle a bit and it seems that that is exactly what has happened.

... but as far as the 3rd Gen iPad being obsolete... har... good one!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153701/recent-third-gen-ipad-buyers-may-be-able-to-exchange-for-newer-model#post_2217786"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It is. lol.gif

I can see it being a great gift to give to females.lol.gif

A real "stocking stuffer"? 1oyvey.gif
post #23 of 32

I really hope more info of this comes out. I bought an iPad 3 about 18 days ago so can't return it but would love to exchange it.

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Obsolete is when you can't use the latest OS and apps.  I would say at this point in time the only REAL obsolete product is the First Gen iPad since it won't run iOS 6, even they still work.

But if the product works and you're happy with it, then I wouldn't say it is obsolete, just an older version.

But, as I have always said about ANY product, no matter what the industry. If the company provides any updated version NO MATTER WHAT the product/company is, everything is a prototype until they get a new model out, because very few things are actually perfected to the point where they can't improve upon it some how, shape or form.  So, in essence, we are all paying to be prototype testers with some level of Tech Support.  :-)

EIther way, I was lucky enough to be able to return the iPad 3 for a refund so I can get an iPad 4.  Keep on giving great customer service because it keeps us coming back for more!

post #25 of 32

I think the future for all three lines is to take the same nomenclature of their other products:  The name remains the same, the rest of us just silently increment the generation.   The iPad will become like the MacBook Pro or the iPod Touch.   They change, get more power, more features, new operating systems but the name never changes.  The Nano is on what, it's 5th generation, there's at least 4 shuffles I know about.   It's a great way to keep the early adopters happy while not aggravating existing users - yea, there is an iMac with a new processor, but this one works fine for me for now.
Just an opinion - print it out and use it for a coaster in case your drink spills.

-Gator

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

They are calling it "3rd Generation" and "4th Generation" in the store.  Here is the list of refurbs...  http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Tom

post #27 of 32
that applecare++ that I bought with my iPad3 now seems like an excellent decision...

so they must have known when the iPad3 was released that they were going to release the iPad4 6-8 months later because they offered the applecare++ plan to replace it for 50 dollars but under an accident...

instead of Creating a Plausible 1wink.gif*cough* "slip-and-fall" with the iPad3... can i just bring iin my old iPad3 and pay the 50 dollars to get it replaced with to iPad4? under applecare++
this way they at least have a working iPad3 in exchange for the iPad4.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

that applecare++ that I bought with my iPad3 now seems like an excellent decision...
so they must have known when the iPad3 was released that they were going to release the iPad4 6-8 months later because they offered the applecare++ plan to replace it for 50 dollars but under an accident...
instead of Creating a Plausible 1wink.gif*cough* "slip-and-fall" with the iPad3... can i just bring iin my old iPad3 and pay the 50 dollars to get it replaced with to iPad4? under applecare++
this way they at least have a working iPad3 in exchange for the iPad4.

What is wrong with what you have??

post #29 of 32
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post
More like rebranded and sold as refurbished for $379 right now.

That's weird. If they were actually new products, they'd be in Clearance, not refurb.

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post
They are calling it "3rd Generation" and "4th Generation" in the store.  Here is the list of refurbs...  http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

A lot of great things happened at the keynote yesterday. One of which being Apple proving me right about how they consider generations of device. 1cool.gif

post #30 of 32
I'm still happy with my iPad 3 but the resale cost will be hurt which will annoy some.
I am surprised that Apple gave it a 1 revision number despite it not being that big a change over the 3.

I think there will be a lot of people like myself who will be wary about being early adopters now just in case they have gone to a 6 month cycle.

I feel sorry for the people who absolutely must have the latest version. I'm a massive Apple fan but I don't blindly buy everything they bring out.
post #31 of 32
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
I am surprised that Apple gave it a 1 revision number despite it not being that big a change over the 3.

What does this sentence mean? The bolded part is a lie.

post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I think there will be a lot of people like myself who will be wary about being early adopters now just in case they have gone to a 6 month cycle.
I feel sorry for the people who absolutely must have the latest version. I'm a massive Apple fan but I don't blindly buy everything they bring out.

So, be a late adopter and never get one as you are always be waiting for the next one??

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Recent third-gen iPad buyers may be able to exchange for newer model