or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini - Page 4

post #121 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Not at all. The Mini is a 4:3 tablet, those other shoddy Android tablets are 16:9. That makes a huge difference. 

 

like comparing the iphone 4 and iphone 5?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #122 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


The funny thing is that if I were a BMW salesmen, and you came in whining about why you should pay $40K for a BMW when you can go down the road and buy a Mustang for $30K, I'd say "Have a nice trip".

This is what I don't understand about the arrogant jerks that are on this thread.  They are doing the exact same thing.  I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, have a Lamborghini and a MV Agusta and a super yacht, but I can't afford any of that.  I accept it and move on.  I don't go around infesting everything like these a$$hats do and screaming "I can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  I mean really!! WTF??

 

I agree. As if Apple is going to lower their prices because of a few poor people and bums whining on a forum? lol.gif

 

If somebody thinks that the price is too high, then go buy something else! And hopefully these people will go and join an Android forum in the future, where they are less likely to whine about prices.

post #123 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

 

like comparing the iphone 4 and iphone 5?

The iPhone 4 and 4S are 3:2. 

post #124 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You'd be surprised at the things rich people penny pinch on.


You know, I totally agree with you.  I work with some very, very wealthy clients and it just boggles the mind at how they brag about the airplane they bought, or the 6-figure Mercedes they are driving, yet refuse to spend any money to replace an aging printer or computer that a worker desperately needs to get their job done and be productive.

I think being frugal is great.  Wasting money is always not a good thing.  Honestly though, rich people definitely do qualify as the worst of "cheapskates". 

post #125 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

 

Exhibit A.

No, A+

post #126 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I agree. As if Apple is going to lower their prices because of a few poor people and bums whining on a forum? lol.gif

 

If somebody thinks that the price is too high, then go buy something else! And hopefully these people will go and join an Android forum in the future, where they are less likely to whine about prices.


What's even funnier is that those people on Android sites/blogs constantly complain at things like build-quality, customer service, etc. with their cheap Android devices and accept it as the price of buying cheap junk, yet they complain, b!tch, etc. about Apple pricing their products a little higher.

There's a reason why Apple not only is profitable, but their products have the highest rating, and offer the best-in-class customer service.

As for Android devices, you get what you pay for.  The embarrassing manufacturers churning out sheer junk just thumb their noses at them, give them a "sucks-to-be-you" attitude knowing they just come out with more cheap crap because the fandroids will always wet their pants at the next spec'ed-out piece of trash.

Who's the sheep now?

post #127 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is what I don't understand about the arrogant jerks that are on this thread.  They are doing the exact same thing.  I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, have a Lamborghini and a MV Agusta and a super yacht, but I can't afford any of that.  I accept it and move on.  I don't go around infesting everything like these a$$hats do and screaming "I can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  I mean really!! WTF??

You're being presumptuous.  Just because someone doesn't like the price doesn't mean they suddenly "can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  Some of us are shareholders who think the psychological benefit of going $299 instead of $329 would have led to great sales both long and short-term across most product lines.  Now, some defending the price might be shareholders that have noticed a decline in margins since the invent of the iPad and are wanting those %s to remain high.  But just to assume everyone on here either wants it or doesn't want it, or can and cant afford it is being presumptuous.  This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #128 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Nonsense.  Technology absolutely has inherent value if it simplifies and enhances peoples lives.  That's the part you guys "conveniently" fail to take into consideration.  For you... it's all about getting some piece at rock bottom prices, do your 15 minutes on it, waste your time configuring it, rooting it, removing malware, etc.

For Apple's products, they work, they work well, and they allow people who value their time and life to get the job done and move on.  Try doing that on a regular PC, or better yet... try being that productive on a cheap-trash Android device.  You very well know that.

I lost track of how many people hated.. absolutely hated their Android device.  Sure it's cheap but guess what.  The time and frustration has value.  What's laughable is that (especially Android tablets) when one breaks (constantly) the moment you buy a replacement (and factor in headaches) you already exceeded the price of having one iPad and being happy with it.

For lots of people, iOS is perfect for them.  That's no insult.  It speaks leaps and bounds of how Apple got it right for the majority of consumers.  Android is all about false marketing and the (insulting) theory that what's good for techies obviously must be good for everyone else.

Keep Android devices dirt cheap.  It will simply continue its demise.

Again, the value was not there until the individual interacted with it - We all operate within our abilities, if an individual can arrive at the same results without the "time cost" you indicate from whatever OS or equipment - that cost is irrelevant because it is not present in their use of the technology.

 

What "simplifies and enhances peoples lives"  is not a solid phenomenon - it will very from one person to the next - so by your own statement any tablet with any OS has the ability to do that same result regardless of sticker price. The value arrives from the use not cost.

post #129 of 230
In the end the market will speak to whether this is too high a price. My gut feeling is that this price point is wrong. The reason the original iPad was successful was that it was competitively priced. This feels like Apple attempting to return to it's old ways of trying to gauge huge margins. Should have been priced at $249.
post #130 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

In the long run, Google and Amazon still have a leg up on Apple due to the fact that they can almost give away their tablet and still make some money in the long run.
That will always be the case until Apple does something a little different.
They tried with the iAd thing to somewhat compete with Google with the Ad money. That did not work.

Hmmm.  Good point!  Maybe they should put something in place to rake in some recurring revenue after the hardware sale.  What if they created an online store that sells music?  Maybe you could also add movies and TV shows.  If they wanted to get really crazy they could create an online bookstore or even a greeting card store.  Think about the possibilities...

post #131 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).

 

And any stockholder should know that Apple should not join in the race to the bottom. Apple is doing mighty fine just as they are.

 

If the other companies could sell their tablets for a higher cost, then they would. Many have tried and they all failed. Do you not remember what the prices of the first "iPad Killers" were priced at, before they were forced to liquidate at fire sale prices? 

post #132 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

In the end the market will speak to whether this is too high a price. My gut feeling is that this price point is wrong. The reason the original iPad was successful was that it was competitively priced. This feels like Apple attempting to return to it's old ways of trying to gauge huge margins. Should have been priced at $249.

 

It'll be interesting to see what people will call successful.

 

Will it be 5 million units sold in the holiday quarter? 10 million? 20 million?

 

5 million would be successful to me but I'm betting on 7 million iPMs and 17 million iPv4s in the holiday quarter.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #133 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Or are they overcharging for the iPad, too? 

 

Yep. According to sources, BOM has been steadily going down year-over-year, but prices have remained constant. Especially the "upgrade" prices that charge $100 for 8GB of Flash RAM. Or $130 more just to add a cellular radio.

post #134 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

In the long run, Google and Amazon still have a leg up on Apple due to the fact that they can almost give away their tablet and still make some money in the long run.
That will always be the case until Apple does something a little different.

 

I didn't know that Apple was hurting...

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #135 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


What's even funnier is that those people on Android sites/blogs constantly complain at things like build-quality, customer service, etc. with their cheap Android devices and accept it as the price of buying cheap junk, yet they complain, b!tch, etc. about Apple pricing their products a little higher.

There's a reason why Apple not only is profitable, but their products have the highest rating, and offer the best-in-class customer service.

As for Android devices, you get what you pay for.  The embarrassing manufacturers churning out sheer junk just thumb their noses at them, give them a "sucks-to-be-you" attitude knowing they just come out with more cheap crap because the fandroids will always wet their pants at the next spec'ed-out piece of trash.

Who's the sheep now?

If Apple were to implement some of the ideas and price suggestions made in this thread, and if Apple were run by these "financial geniuses", Apple would be run into the ground in a couple of years and Apple would be no different than a Nokia or a RIM.

post #136 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You're being presumptuous.  Just because someone doesn't like the price doesn't mean they suddenly "can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  Some of us are shareholders who think the psychological benefit of going $299 instead of $329 would have led to great sales both long and short-term across most product lines.  Now, some defending the price might be shareholders that have noticed a decline in margins since the invent of the iPad and are wanting those %s to remain high.  But just to assume everyone on here either wants it or doesn't want it, or can and cant afford it is being presumptuous.  This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).


Keep sipping whatever Koolaid you're drinking buddy.  I'm not even remotely being presumptuous.  I'm being realistic.

What you guys are doing is exactly the same thing physically walking into an exotic-car dealership and yelling that their car is too expensive for the joe-consumer.  Get real.

Apple is not going to build cheap junk to satisfy the desires of people that frankly, would never buy an Apple product anyways or for the poor-souls that unfortunately don't have the kind of disposable income to justify buying a premium product.  That's the reality.

The ONLY way your argument will hold any water is for someone to come out with an Android tablet with the exact same specs, unibody, glass, fit/finish and price it EXACTLY the same as the iPad.

Apple's iPad is priced perfectly for what one gets.  Heck, why doesn't Apple sell it for $1???

I'm saying this as an AAPL owner too.  I'm glad Apple is staying out of the floor-scraping arena.  They are doing just fine stealing customers from the same pool.  I'll simply point to Apple's cash hoard, R&D, innovation, service, and high stock price to prove my point they are doing something right.

post #137 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

And any stockholder should know that Apple should not join in the race to the bottom. Apple is doing mighty fine just as they are.

 

I don't disagree with that at all.  But a $299 tag wouldn't have been considered a "race to the bottom" in my eyes.  $199 or $249 would have.  $299- at least to me- due to it being sub-$300 would have had more people purchase it in the long run.  It is what it is, no use complaining for the sake of complaining- I'm just offering my opinion as I see it, which means nothing in the scheme of things. Either way- you're right- Apple is doing fine.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #138 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

 

to talented to waste my life as a lawyer. 

'to' talented 'too' spell?

post #139 of 230

To: those that don't think that the iPad Mini will compete well in this category

1) Stop calling it a category.  There is no category (yet).  Apple is leading in the establishment of this "category"...so stop making definitive comparisons to a (7") category.

2) Apple will sell every damn iPad Mini it is able to manufacture (at the currently offered prices).

3) Even if iPad Mini price points were raised by $20, they'd still sell every damn one of them.

4) Apple does NOT intend to, nor does it need or want to, own 100% of any market (smartphones, tablets, desktops, etc.).  Stop basing your arguments or wishlists based on that premise.

5) The only argument that I think is a valid one, is that it will be a challenge to market the iPad Mini effectively at this price point...$299 would've given considerable marketing advantage...nevertheless, please see point #2 above.

post #140 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Keep sipping whatever Koolaid you're drinking buddy.  I'm not even remotely being presumptuous.  I'm being realistic.

What you guys are doing is exactly the same thing physically walking into an exotic-car dealership and yelling that their car is too expensive for the joe-consumer.  Get real.

Apple is not going to build cheap junk to satisfy the desires of people that frankly, would never buy an Apple product anyways or for the poor-souls that unfortunately don't have the kind of disposable income to justify buying a premium product.  That's the reality.

The ONLY way your argument will hold any water is for someone to come out with an Android tablet with the exact same specs, unibody, glass, fit/finish and price it EXACTLY the same as the iPad.

Apple's iPad is priced perfectly for what one gets.  Heck, why doesn't Apple sell it for $1???

I'm saying this as an AAPL owner too.  I'm glad Apple is staying out of the floor-scraping arena.  They are doing just fine stealing customers from the same pool.  I'll simply point to Apple's cash hoard, R&D, innovation, service, and high stock price to prove my point they are doing something right.

You aren't just presumptuous- your pompous.  A premium product the "poor souls" can't afford?  It's $329- that's nothing if someone wants it.  $299 isn't "floor-scraping arena".  To claim that it's $329 and they couldn't do $299 just because of the quality and cost of parts is idiotic... now who's sipping the Koolaid?

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #141 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

I have said it from the start that iOS is the "hotdog" in the Apple menu - the product for the lowest common denominator in our society - but this level of stupidity in marketing really hits the point home.

 

Oh, FFS, this blithering nerd self important BS again? Does it ever end with you idiots? Listen, geek, you people are not the arbiters of what is and is not smart or stupid in this world. Got that? You never were and never will be, despite what your raging personality disorders compel you to believe.

 

 

Quote:
Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading - stupid people will think that is is a good idea to trade a smaller, less expensive, sharper resolution screen device (nexus 7) for a more expensive, larger, lower resolution screen.

 

I've seen the Nexus 7. If that's your thing, whatever.

 

 

Quote:
Yes, stupid people can not wait to rent 3.99 HD movies to see it on a 4:3 1028x768 screen over a 16:9 HD screen.

 

No, it's stupid to want to design hardware like a tablet for a single use case (watching 16:9 content). If it's just some TV show I'm catching up on, I'll watch in bed on the iPad and not fret over every pixel because, well, I'm not an OCD tech nerd spending the bulk of my show watching time obsessing over video artifacts. If it's a movie or something more cinematic (and there's a reason to give a damn) I'll likely AirPlay it to my big TV.

 

 

Quote:

Yes, stupid people will believe that the new aspect ratio and high resolution on the iphone 5 is great for websites because it gives you sharper text and less need to scroll down yet will believe something else 2 months later.

 

Cite? Oh, wait, you can't cite future events.

 

 

Quote:
Remember a time when you walked in to our corporate offices and you understood that when you hit the floor with Macintosh in it you were where some of the smartest and most talented people of the company worked.

 

Huh? You are confusing Mac OS X and iOS. Or something. You're really just raving like a lunatic at this point and well off the rails.

 

 

Quote:
Now, it is half baked nonsense held up by marketing stupidity for the 40% of high school students and the population that because everything that they have ever owned someone else made

 

Somewhere in there is a reasonable sentence struggling to get out. Or not. Are you saying people should make their own tablet computers and cell phones? Have you personally interviewed every iOS device owner? Where do you even get idea to make claims like this? Are you really that delusionally arrogant?

 

 

Quote:
 - and everything that has ever inspired them someone else imagined - try so hard to buy some self respect.

 

How can you extrapolate such things from someone buying an iPad or iPhone? I have an iPad. I also have nine patents with my name on them. Six of them have *only* my name on them. I design and build things that get shot into space. But, well, no, by your batshit rant I'm just a low level dummy because of a single purchase where I wanted a basic appliance for specific uses.

 

Quote:
Yes, iOS is the dumbing down of Apple.

 

I think I lost a few brain cells responding to your steaming geek turd of a post. Get out of your basement. Get out of your geek bubble. Open your tiny, cloistered mind. Or not. Whatever. You never will, so what's the point?

 

Oh, and you've clearly never had a good hot dog, like a Sabrett or a Portillo's Polish dog.

post #142 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Some of us are shareholders who think the psychological benefit of going $299 instead of $329 would have led to great sales ....

Uhh.... what remote evidence do you have for this claim (since I vaguely recall that you passed off as some kind of marketing 'expert' in a previous thread).

 

Or, are you talking though your.. er... hat as usual?

post #143 of 230
Apple just don't understand business.
They should follow Google's and Amazon's example.

Reduce the price of the iPad mini by HALF, then they will then sell TWICE AS MANY !
Twice the labour, time and materials and for the same result*


* no profit.
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #144 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Uhh.... what remote evidence do you have for this claim (since I vaguely recall that you passed off as some kind of marketing 'expert' in a previous thread).

 

Or, are you talking though your.. er... hat as usual?

Without linking to 40,000 studies- do you think everything is XX9 for a reason?  Why is the iPhone $199 and not $200?  Why does gas have 9/10 of a penny.  Why, in England up until 1970 or so, did they have half cents?  That in itself should prove the psychological benefit.

 

And I said I did marketing, but that didn't make me an expert or a guru.  But I at least understand the basic principles.  I also don't claim to know a fraction of the marketing genius Apple and their team does- but I also don't assume they didn't study the hell out of it and make a gamble as why they should go $329 instead of $299 and weigh the pros and cons of both.  And yes- there are pros and cons of both.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #145 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Without linking to 40,000 studies- do you think everything is XX9 for a reason?  Why is the iPhone $199 and not $200?  Why does gas have 9/10 of a penny.  Why, in England up until 1970 or so, did they have half cents?  That in itself should prove the psychological benefit.


That's why it's $329 instead of $330.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #146 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Apple just don't understand business.
They should follow Google's and Amazon's example.
Reduce the price of the iPad mini by HALF, then they will then sell TWICE AS MANY !
Twice the labour, time and materials and for the same result*
* no profit.

 

Yep, sell at a loss! Apple will make it all up in volume! 

 

lol.gif

post #147 of 230
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 1280 x 800 216ppi (720p)
Apple iPad Mini 9.7" 1024 x 768 162ppi

wonder if I can tell the ppi density when compared side by side.

At $329 I would prefer to go for a 9.7" iPad 4th Gen though at $499 for a lot more tech
post #148 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


That's why it's $329 instead of $330.

 

 

Many analysts -- and consumers -- believe that Apple could have further tromped the competition by hitting a $299 price point. $329, for whatever reason, manages to cross a rather huge line in the sand, perception-wise.

The price isn't two-something, it's THREE-something.

And it's three-something when other 7" devices by Google and Amazon are selling for $249 and even $199. (e.g. ONE-something)

post #149 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


That's why it's $329 instead of $330.

Hah... touche. :)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #150 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Without linking to 40,000 studies- do you think everything is XX9 for a reason?  Why is the iPhone $199 and not $200?  Why does gas have 9/10 of a penny.  Why, in England up until 1970 or so, did they have half cents?  That in itself should prove the psychological benefit.

 

And I said I did marketing, but that didn't make me an expert or a guru.  But I at least understand the basic principles.  I also don't claim to know a fraction of the marketing genius Apple and their team does- but I also don't assume they didn't study the hell out of it and make a gamble as why they should go $329 instead of $299 and weigh the pros and cons of both.  And yes- there are pros and cons of both.

If $30 is a big deal to somebody, then they do not deserve to own any Apple products. 

 

I think it's great that Apple has the $30 buffer zone, because it keeps out the riff raff that would otherwise have bought something at $299, but not at $329. 

 

The bottom line is that if somebody really wants the iPad Mini, they're going to buy one, regardless if it costs $299 or $329. And Apple is going to sell every single iPad Mini that they can make, at $329. 

post #151 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

You get what you pay for an overall, Apple products are built to last.

 

In general, I agree with the sentiment that you get what you pay for. In particular, in the case of Apple products, that has, sadly, NOT been my experience.

 

Before switching to Apple I used a Sony notebook and my wife had a Toshiba. Both were "performance" oriented, not cheap models. We kept them for five years and had exactly one failure -- the power button on the Sony wore out.

 

We've had six Macs over the last five years: A Pro, two minis and three MacBook Pros. The newest Mini doesn't have an optical drive, but the other five did and EVERY SINGLE ONE failed. Even the one in the tower. We've experienced a failed keyboard controller chip, a jet-fighter-loud fan failure, a power button that collapsed inside the chassis, a hard drive death (that's to be expected so I don't blame Apple), a still-unresolved issue with video blanking out for a few seconds at a time, and a screen that started developing dark "blemishes" at two years (which is why we now buy AppleCare on EVERYTHING) and has progressively worsened since.

 

One might argue that we're hard on computers, but then why didn't we have trouble with other brands?

 

I prefer OSX to Windows so I continue to use Macs, but I don't buy the argument that they're more reliable than competing products. I wouldn't even care whether they are or not, except that a hotrod Asus is about $1000 less expensive than a comparable Mac. That extra Grand DOESN'T seem to be buying us greater reliability.

post #152 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuture View Post

"A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet."
In terms of resolution Nexus 7 (1280 x 800) has 30% space versus iPad Mini (1024 x 768)

This is actually a good point, despite several people already laughing at it.  Try changing the resolution on your computer monitor.  You see more in the same physical space if you choose a higher resolution.  By the same token, the Nexus 7 displays more at 1280 x 800 than it would if it used a resolution of 1024 x 768, physical area remaining equal.  The iPad mini has more physical area to use, but only uses a resolution of 1024 x 768, which means it can display less in that larger area than it would at 1280 x 800.  I think the iPad would still come out ahead in how much information it displays on screen, but the difference between it and the 7 is not as great as Schiller implied when he only used physical area to make his point.

post #153 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

 

Many analysts -- and consumers -- believe that Apple could have further tromped the competition by hitting a $299 price point. $329, for whatever reason, manages to cross a rather huge line in the sand, perception-wise.

The price isn't two-something, it's THREE-something.

And it's three-something when other 7" devices by Google and Amazon are selling for $249 and even $199. (e.g. ONE-something)

 

Is that what your crystal ball told you?

 

Conversation at Apple:

 

Tim Cook:  Well, what's the price point for the Mini?

Employee 1:  $299

Tim Cook: How many do you think we can sell at that point?

Employee 1:  8.5 million in this quarter

Tim Cook: How many can we make?

Employee 2: We're a bit constrained but we can make 7 million.

Tim Cook: Hmmm... how many can we sell at $329

Employee 1: 7.75 million in this quarter

Tim Cook:  $329 it is. Now get the f*ck out of here.

 

[changed my figures to be more in line with what I actually predict]


Edited by island hermit - 10/24/12 at 1:21pm
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #154 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If $30 is a big deal to somebody, then they do not deserve to own any Apple products.

 

<*Whew!*> For a minute there I thought I might not deserve that which "The Great Benevolent iCorp" hath bestowed upon me, but fortunately $30 is not a big deal to me so I guess I'm okay.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think it's great that Apple has the $30 buffer zone, because it keeps out the riff raff that would otherwise have bought something at $299, but not at $329.

 

Aw dammit, I'm out. While $30 isn't a big deal to me, the MiniPad does cost more than I'm prepared to pay. That makes me riff raff, huh? Damn. I don't have to start driving a pickup truck, do I?

 

Where do I surrender my iPhone and MacBook Pro and Mac Pro and Mac Mini and Time Capsule and Apple TV and Airport Extreme? Can my wife keep her MacBook Pro and iPhone?

 

By the way, how are you liking that new Mini? You HAVE purchased one, right? You're not, riff raff, are you?

post #155 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Without linking to 40,000 studies...

One decent study that says why someone wouldn't pay $329 when they believe they're getting something worth at least $329 -- instead of your marketing gobbledygook -- will suffice.

 

I'll wait.

post #156 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

By the way, how are you liking that new Mini? You HAVE purchased one, right? You're not, riff raff, are you?

 

Well, I believe that the pre-orders don't begin until Friday, so I technically can not have purchased one yet.

 

Am I going to purchase a Mini? Perhaps, I think that it looks cute. I already have full sized iPads, so a Mini is not essential for me, but I might get one, we'll see. They also make for nice Christmas presents, so maybe I'll pick up a couple for that purpose.

post #157 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They also make for nice Christmas presents, so maybe I'll pick up a couple for that purpose.

 

Damn, I wish *I* was on *YOUR* Christmas list! I can't afford to give gifts like that anymore.

 

Although, now that I think about it, I probably could if they were $299, but at $329, forget it! 1biggrin.gif

post #158 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

 

Oh, FFS, this blithering nerd self important BS again? Does it ever end with you idiots? Listen, geek, you people are not the arbiters of what is and is not smart or stupid in this world. Got that? You never were and never will be, despite what your raging personality disorders compel you to believe.

 

 

 

I've seen the Nexus 7. If that's your thing, whatever.

 

 

 

No, it's stupid to want to design hardware like a tablet for a single use case (watching 16:9 content). If it's just some TV show I'm catching up on, I'll watch in bed on the iPad and not fret over every pixel because, well, I'm not an OCD tech nerd spending the bulk of my show watching time obsessing over video artifacts. If it's a movie or something more cinematic (and there's a reason to give a damn) I'll likely AirPlay it to my big TV.

 

Cite? Oh, wait, you can't cite future events.

 

 

 

Huh? You are confusing Mac OS X and iOS. Or something. You're really just raving like a lunatic at this point and well off the rails.

 

 

 

Somewhere in there is a reasonable sentence struggling to get out. Or not. Are you saying people should make their own tablet computers and cell phones? Have you personally interviewed every iOS device owner? Where do you even get idea to make claims like this? Are you really that delusionally arrogant?

 

 

 

How can you extrapolate such things from someone buying an iPad or iPhone? I have an iPad. I also have nine patents with my name on them. Six of them have *only* my name on them. I design and build things that get shot into space. But, well, no, by your batshit rant I'm just a low level dummy because of a single purchase where I wanted a basic appliance for specific uses.

 

 

I think I lost a few brain cells responding to your steaming geek turd of a post. Get out of your basement. Get out of your geek bubble. Open your tiny, cloistered mind. Or not. Whatever. You never will, so what's the point?

 

Oh, and you've clearly never had a good hot dog, like a Sabrett or a Portillo's Polish dog.

 

first - there is no such thing as a good hotdog... just like there is no such thing as good soda. It is just different levels of confused value. 

 

Huh? You are confusing Mac OS X and iOS. Or something. You're really just raving like a lunatic at this point and well off the rails.

 

Some lack of English comprehension on your part - by definition if I refer to a Macintosh - IOS would be excluded.

 

Somewhere in there is a reasonable sentence struggling to get out. Or not. Are you saying people should make their own tablet computers and cell phones? Have you personally interviewed every iOS device owner? Where do you even get idea to make claims like this? Are you really that delusionally arrogant?

 

Again, English comprehension - did you simply decide to skip the ending to that? The same place others here think they can claim wealth from a 330 dollar object... or the ability to judge others from something bought - not as nice when put down over another non-rational overreaching standard is it?

 

How can you extrapolate such things from someone buying an iPad or iPhone? I have an iPad. I also have nine patents with my name on them. Six of them have *only* my name on them. I design and build things that get shot into space. But, well, no, by your batshit rant I'm just a low level dummy because of a single purchase where I wanted a basic appliance for specific uses.

 

Again - Not as "Bat-shit" as believing that a person is Poor, stupid, or on welfare because they decide that a technology is worth 200 and not 326. Seeing how they only need a basic appliance for specific uses

 

I think I lost a few brain cells responding to your steaming geek turd of a post. Get out of your basement. Get out of your geek bubble. Open your tiny, cloistered mind. Or not. Whatever. You never will, so what's the point?

 

Yes, it is - read your post. That is unfortunate, Not sure you had that many available to loose.

 

Oh, You are no longer in High school (assumption) your reliance on the word "geek" is disconcerting.


Edited by agramonte - 10/24/12 at 1:18pm
post #159 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Damn, I wish *I* was on *YOUR* Christmas list! I can't afford to give gifts like that anymore.

 

Although, now that I think about it, I probably could if they were $299, but at $329, forget it! 1biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong. I don't go around giving gifts like that to a whole bunch of people, but to a couple of close people, sure.

 

I'd actually be saving money, because I was thinking about getting a Macbook Air for my girlfriend, but maybe I'll cheap out and just give an iPad Mini instead.lol.gif

post #160 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You aren't just presumptuous- your pompous.  A premium product the "poor souls" can't afford?  It's $329- that's nothing if someone wants it.  $299 isn't "floor-scraping arena".  To claim that it's $329 and they couldn't do $299 just because of the quality and cost of parts is idiotic... now who's sipping the Koolaid?


My "poor-souls" remark was not to insult.  I'm referring to honest, hardworking people that have to live on a tight-budget, watch every dollar they spend because they have a family to support, maybe not getting ahead or be where they would like, etc.  My parents and us kids back then grew up that way.  I work hard for my money, as does everyone else I know.  I'm not a rich guy by far and I definitely sympathize with people that can't afford life's simple pleasures and enjoy life like that would like to.  We all want that for everyone.

That being said, there's folks like me - a hardworking middle-class individual - that think if one cannot afford a given product you either determine if that product is worth the extra cost and value and save up for it, you buy a cheaper alternative that may or may not serve all your needs (which is OK), or you don't buy it.  Period.

What people are doing here besides the trolling and iHating is literally loud whining which is just childish.  My parents back in the day were more worried about feeding family and affording school for the kids and saving for the future.  They literally saved for months so they could afford to buy me the first computer which ultimately led me to the career in software developing that I'm in to this day.  Not once did they go around saying "This $1,200 computer (back in the 1980's) should be $600!!  Let's raise a stink!".

No, they paid the price because they saw value.

I see the value that justifies why Apple is charging the $329.  I see where the extra money is going.  I see the false-promises that the other makers do to compete with Apple and I'm saying that Apple is right to not go that route.  Sure, Apple would sell a boatload more iPads if they priced it the same as the Android junk that's out there but as an AAPL shareholder, I don't want Apple to literally lose money on everything they sell in the "hope" they make it up later, which they won't.  They just won't. 

What will happen is that the race will drag Apple down that same road that Android devices are in.  So what then?  Apple prices everyone else out and they decide they have to actually make money again and raise prices??? Will you defend Apple then for that??  I bet you will skewer Apple for that and will accuse Apple of price-gouging or monopolistic practices.

So spare me your so-called insight.  You really have no idea.  You won't have me responding to any more of yours and others rants on this thread.  It's just downright sad the mentality you guys have.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini