or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini

Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini - Page 2

post #41 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You're actually comparing the iPad Mini to THAT junk?

They're not even in the same league, User Experience-wise. And User Experience is everything. 

You are assuming that the user-experience on the mini will be identical to what it is on the iPad...
perhaps very generally it may be,
but the experience on the iPhone and the iPad are markedly different,
so I'm not sure how you can presume to know what it will be on the mini...
did you receive a review mini that you've been using for a while?
post #42 of 230

No appealing to the freetard a$$hats here on this thread.  Had Apple priced it at $299, then they would simply switch tunes and say "It should be $249!".  Guess what?  Had Apple did $249, they would simply whine "But, but... it should be $199!!".

Simple thing is, most of these whiners and trolls would not even buy an iPad anyways.  They are just fanning flames for the sake of doing it.

Apple priced it just right.  Realistically, they will be the only ones making any money off their offerings.  Which of course the iHaters here will simply counteract it by saying "But, but... Apple has no right to make any profit off the back of consumers!!!"

The iPad mini is going to decimate the current market of lower-priced tablets.  What will happen now is that the Android/Kindle trash will simply get pushed down to $99 and be advertised as a combination tablet/doorstop.

I'll wait to see how the iHaters spin that one...

post #43 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

You are assuming that the user-experience on the mini will be identical to what it is on the iPad...

I know what the experience will be on an iPad Mini, even though I haven't tried one yet.

How do I know? I used to have an iPad 2, that's how.

post #44 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yep, Apple does not need to defend any of their prices.

There are people who appreciate Apple's quality, and then there are people who don't. Luckily for those sorts of people,  bottom of the barrel Android devices are available.

yes, as idiotic as buying a 200 dollar hammer because it is made of brushed aluminum - never mind that technology has no inherent value but the one given by its use.

you should use iOS products, they are made and marketed to you.

post #45 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Wouldn't that be more prejudiced than bigoted?

Prejudice is often assumed by most people to be about race (although it doesn't have to be), whereas bigotry covers any kind of bias (even though a lot of people think it's only about race).  

post #46 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The problem is not that it's too high compare to Nexus7 or Kindle Fire HD. It's comparing with the iPad 4 for $499 and refurb iPad3 for $379 that's problematic!

Huh? It's $170 cheaper than an iPad 4. What's the problem? If you are going to compare to a refurb iPad 3, then use the refurb iPad mini price to compare. Refurb iPad minis will likely be available before Christmas.

But all of that is moot. Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad mini or an iPad 3 - they make money either way. 

post #47 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since you have never used a Kindle Fire, what the hell do you know?  The Kindle Fire is actually a very nice tablet device that does exactly what it is advertised to do.  It is far better than the other tablet devices out there, and Amazon continues to sell many of them.  Despite what you believe, it is very easy to use and has a nice user-experience.  Why do you think Amazon continues to develop them and release new versions?  They sell well for Amazon, so good for them.

Exactly how many has Amazon sold?

post #48 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No appealing to the freetard a$$hats here on this thread. 

Yeah, seriously. Some people need to go get a job or something. 

Whining about a very reasonably priced $329 Apple product. lol.gif It's pathetic.

post #49 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why does he have to defend it? It's an Apple product. They know how to price them properly. 

Depends if they can sell everything they make.  If not the price is too high.  We will see friday how it goes. 

The mini build quality is superior, but the rest of the specs are in favor of the other 2 tablets. On a spec sheet the mini is losing it, but on looks and feel and usability it wins hands down. To me the Android tablets are pure garbage because I love a good design, but a lot of geeks out there are specs freaks. I think most consumers will go for looks and brand name, which may let Apple get away with a small premium on price.

On the plus side, the mini price takes care of cannibalization.  It wont matter if the mini eats up ipad sales.

Spec sheet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-57537541-243/ipad-mini-vs-google-nexus-7-vs-amazon-kindle-fire-hd/

Edited by herbapou - 10/24/12 at 10:19am
post #50 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"The iPad is far and away the most successful product in its category," Schiller said. "The most affordable product we've made so far was $399 and people were choosing that over those other devices.
"And now you can get a device that's even more affordable at $329 in this great new form, and I think a lot of customers are going to be very excited about that."

This is called a "defense"?

Sounds more like a statement. A generic Apple statement. The kind Apple usually makes. 

Seems the only problem here is AI's misleading headline. 

post #51 of 230
What bothers me far more than the $329 starting point is the total BS of a 100 up charge to double the storage. That's where the rip off is IMO.
post #52 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Are you sure that average joe knows how to remove the menu bars?

Edit: I misread your comment, sorry. But what I wanted to say is even choosing a browser that can do full-screen or finding out how to do that feature average joe may not know. I thought Phil had done it right. Although choosing that website with the huge title was intentional.

Yeah, that's why I qualified what I said.  It's not out and out wrong or misleading, but it still came across as slightly stinky to me.  

The difference was almost entirely down to the browser chrome, and I thought he spent too long on it as it's really a minor point.  

I just wish Apple was a bit more honest.  

I miss the brutal honesty of Steve Jobs (although I'm not trying to imply that he wasn't above this kind of fudging either).  

post #53 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Just remember to NOT ask Amazon.

post #54 of 230
Quote:

Bad analogy. The iPhone and iPad have different UI's, in terms of both controls and principles. One would expect that the iPhone and iPad would have markedly different user experiences, even ignoring the size differences. However, the iPad Mini is designed to run iPad apps natively, so one would expect at the least for the experiences to be similar.

post #55 of 230
Price isn't much of a problem... as a laptop user I wanted something more portable than standard iPad but I didn't want to deal with Android. The iPad mini is exactly what I wanted. I'm a little miffed about the $100 for the first additional 16gb of storage. That's getting a little ridiculous but meh... I'm not about to jump to Android over that. I don't care that it doesn't have retina. Frankly, I want a go anywhere, just-works device for reading and browsing. For high-photo editing from my 20 mpx SLR, I've got a 24" monitor so I wasn't going to use an iPad for that anyway. I know for a fact that we're getting at least two of these this holiday season.... just hope availability isn't too much of a problem.
post #56 of 230
Originally Posted by studentx View Post
Because some people don't understand math...
A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet.
We are measuring AREA. Diagonal length is deceptive.
Who is being deceptive to customers?

Uh… Android tablets? Are you saying the iPad mini should cost 40% more than Android tablets, and because it doesn't, it's far cheaper and a better deal?

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
Yeah he really should come to AI to get some help running company.

Well, they listened to us at least once in the recent past. xMac and giant, pointless television, here we come!

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post
Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading - stupid people will think that is is a good idea to trade a smaller, less expensive, sharper resolution screen device (nexus 7) for a more expensive, larger, lower resolution screen.

Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading, having a 16:9 screen was a really good idea. If I need a sarcasm tag, you've failed at sarcasm.

Notice that the iPad isn't for reading. It's for tableting. 

Now, it is half baked nonsense held up by marketing stupidity for the 40% of high school students and the population that because everything that they have ever owned someone else made - and everything that has ever inspired them someone else imagined - try so hard to buy some self respect.
Yes, iOS is the dumbing down of Apple.

Oh, I'm seeing some half-baked nonsense, stupidity, and dumbing down, all right. Just not sure it's coming from Apple.

The iPhone and iPad have different UI's, in terms of both controls and principles.

So you wouldn't say the iPad and iPad mini have different UI, in terms of both control and principles?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #57 of 230
I'd buy it if it were $429. Defend that!
post #58 of 230

Some of the "price awkwardness" of the iPad mini is no doubt caused by the iPod touch starting at $299.

I think it would be unacceptable for the iPad mini to be priced less than the iPod touch.  Even the 16 GB model.

It would be illogical, and it would make the iPod touch feel drastically overpriced.  (Some say it actually *is*.)

Eventually, Apple could drop the price of the iPod touch, which would enable them to drop the iPad mini price.

The timing, if it ever happens, will depend on manufacturing costs, component costs, consumer demand,

and many other Numbers spreadsheet variables.

And, of course, there's always the possibility that Apple could keep the 2012 iPad mini in the lineup, in a

single 16GB configuration at $229 - $279, after the 2013 iPad mini has shipped.  That way, Apple wouldn't

need to drop either the 2013 iPod touch or iPad mini prices.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #59 of 230
If there was no competition, it would have been ok.
But compared to other devices out there (same category - 7" tablet) - its WAY too expensive. The screen is low-res, the specs are 2 years old (almost) and it costs 40% more than KindleFireHD or Nexus 7. I know the eco-system is better and the OS is great, but seriously, is that worth paying more for getting worse specs?
post #60 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What bothers me far more than the $329 starting point is the total BS of a 100 up charge to double the storage. That's where the rip off is IMO.

This is how Apple keep high margins on idevices, people buying the 32 and 64g versions are the ones paying the premium and allowing the 16g version to sell at a lower price. this is also why Apple doesnt put micro-sd on its devices.

post #61 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is getting too defensive. Just do it and stfu.

I agree.

post #62 of 230
A lot of folks are overreacting. The sky is not falling. There is plenty of room in the market place for all the players. The lower end Kindles/Nexuses are fine. They will sell to a budget conscious consumer. The iPadMini will sell to consumers who desire a better quality and more refined and more capable device. If the $129 difference is important to you buy the Nexus and get over it. Personally $129 is not a big deal and I think it is worth the extra money. Looking at it positively Apple now has made it possible to own a smaller ipad3 for a lot less that $499, granted it doesn't have the retina dsiplay but really the difference is not that big a deal and I think the fact that it can now fit in a jacket pocket or a woman's purse will be a big seller. Add to that parents can now get one for their kids Christmas present without having to pay the full iPad price will be really big. Just watch the Christmas sales. Also don't understtimate the cache of owning a more expensive device . It does make one look more well off right! not a cheapskate. It impressed the opposite sex! I'd love to see Apple do an ad where the guy gets to date the hottie because she walks off with him rather than to Nexus user, imagine!

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #63 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDigital View Post

But compared to other devices out there (same category - 7" tablet) - its WAY too expensive. The screen is low-res, the specs are 2 years old (almost) and it costs 40% more than KindleFireHD or Nexus 7. I know the eco-system is better and the OS is great, but seriously, is that worth paying more for getting worse specs?

to me its worth it because the experience is a lot better.

post #64 of 230
Quote:

yes, as idiotic as buying a 200 dollar hammer because it is made of brushed aluminum - never mind that technology has no inherent value but the one given by its use.

you should use iOS products, they are made and marketed to you.

You're the "genius" that is calling iOS users stupid in your other post and claiming that a piece of crap Nexus, a 16:9 tablet running a shitty OS called Android, made for cheapskates, people on welfare and clueless Fandroids offers a superior experience.lol.gif

post #65 of 230
Quote:

Ouch.

post #66 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDigital View Post

What 'competition'? As someone asked before, do you have any numbers? (Actual ones put out by the company, I mean).

post #67 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also, ... did anyone else but me think the screen size comparisons were a bit dubious?  A lot of browsers do full-screen now.  Technically, Chrome on Android still doesn't, but removing the menu bars etc. as part of the "analysis" is still a bit disingenuous viewed that way.  

It felt kind of dirty to me to present it that way. 

No he was removing the distraction in terms of comparing usable image size.  It looked like the chrome in both browsers (i.e. wasted space) were about the same in size.

post #68 of 230
Quote:

So you wouldn't say the iPad and iPad mini have different UI, in terms of both control and principles?

Currently, the only difference is size, and, as far as I know, Apple hasn't issued any Mini specific HIG, nor do I expect they will. So, the question is simply, how much does the size difference affect the user experience. The iPhone simply doesn't enter into the equation.

post #69 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Phil- "Now let me compare this Nexus 7 to a device that is 40% more expensive... isn't it just magical how much better it is than a product almost half it's price?"

What a dumb marketing technique.

Stupid post. The elements they were comparing (aspect ratio, screen real estate, app selection, etc) has nothing to do with price, and everything to do with useability. It's not like he was comparing specs. I thought it was very effective, as the Nexus 7 is the best selling 'smaller' tablet and the closest competition Apple may have in that product category. The comparison also hit the nail on the head, as it brought up pretty much all the reasons as to why I returned my Nexus 7 shortly after I bought it. Everything from the awkward 16x9 aspect ration, near useless landscape mode, sluggish performance, shitty tablet optimized app selection, etc drove me crazy. The specs didnt seem to help it there, and I have a feeling the mini will be a million times more responsive, even with the 'inferior' specs. At the end of the day, the iPad mini does seem like a better value all things considered. It has the same CPU as my 3rd gen iPad which is pushing 4X as many pixels, and which is still fast as hell. 

Also, not sure what you're on about 'double' the price. Here in Canada the Nexus is $259, while the iPad mini will be priced at $329. Yeah, double indeed. The nexus is ~ 80% of the cost. You think its overpriced, don't buy it. Thats how the market works, theres a ton of options out there. But I predict its going to wipe the floor with everything else sales wise, because at the end of the day most people want an iPad, not a generic tablet, and can justify the difference in price. 

Also I love all the OMG PAYING MORE FOR WORSE SPECS LOL trolls in this thread. This attack has only been levelled against, oh I don't know, every SINGLE Apple product ever. And you still don't fucking get it. Do you not realize you can get a better specced, cheaper alternative for every single Apple product out there, including their iPod. iPhone, laptop, desktop lines, if thats the ONLY criteria you're looking at? If you're buying specs, you can go elsewhere, it will always be the case. Amazing how short-sighted and simply idiotic some people can still be in their assinine and discredited arguments. 

Edited by Slurpy - 10/24/12 at 10:39am
post #70 of 230

This bad boy is going to cut more into iPad sales than into Android 7" sales. I think Apple is trading one for the other.  Bottomline, people buy Apple because it is Apple.  Now they can have an Apple Tablet for far less.  $199 is an impulse buy, $329, not so much.

post #71 of 230
Quote:

Apple leads in consumer satisfaction in every category, often by a very wide margin. 

Why should we assume that will change with the iPad Mini experience?

Apple is doing to the iPad what they did to the iPod: create an entire family of devices around a platform. 

post #72 of 230
Quote:

Uh… Android tablets? Are you saying the iPad mini should cost 40% more than Android tablets, and because it doesn't, it's far cheaper and a better deal?

Well, they listened to us at least once in the recent past. xMac and giant, pointless television, here we come!

Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading, having a 16:9 screen was a really good idea. If I need a sarcasm tag, you've failed at sarcasm.

Notice that the iPad isn't for reading. It's for tableting. 

Oh, I'm seeing some half-baked nonsense, stupidity, and dumbing down, all right. Just not sure it's coming from Apple.

no need for sarcasm tag... your ignorance on the subject is obvious. I guess you never walked with a paper back in your back pocket?

as for your other reply to my post, same as above would apply. 

Edited by agramonte - 10/24/12 at 10:42am
post #73 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're the "genius" that is calling iOS users stupid in your other post and claiming that a piece of crap Nexus, a 16:9 tablet running a shitty OS called Android, made for cheapskates, people on welfare and clueless Fandroids offers a superior experience.lol.gif

Exhibit A.

post #74 of 230
I think the pitch was wrong but every hands on "review" I've seen so far has nothing but good things to say about the product. Of course these aren't extensive reviews but if it was crap it wouldn't take long to figure out.
post #75 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Refurb iPad minis will likely be available before Christmas.

Highly doubtful. Refurbished iPad 3s weren't available until months after introduction.

There's just no denying a refurb. iPad 3 is far more functional than the iPad mini, for just $50 more.

post #76 of 230
Quote:

Exhibit A.

Are you a Samsung lawyer? lol.gif

post #77 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

There's just no denying a refurb. iPad 3 is far more functional than the iPad mini, for just $50 more.

Not if somebody is looking for a more portable and much lighter tablet. It all depends on the usage.

post #78 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think the pitch was wrong but every hands on "review" I've seen so far has nothing but good things to say about the product. Of course these aren't extensive reviews but if it was crap it wouldn't take long to figure out.

Mmmm...sometimes it takes daily use to ferret out the annoyances that change a device from a "I use this thing every freaking day...all my other gizmos is collecting dust" to "I'd use this more often if X didn't suck".

post #79 of 230
If the current 16GB A5 iPad was dropped to $229 and there was an 8GB version of the new iPod Touch at $199, an iPad Mini with a retina display, an A6 processor and 32GB of flash at $329 will seem like the right price. The only question is when will this upgrade take place?
post #80 of 230
Somebody has to pick up the garbage too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini