or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive - Page 4

post #121 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Everything you said the iMac should have are reasons why you are not the target customer. Of course this is a consumer machine. It's the iMac. It always has been and everything to it always being geared toward the average user who doesn't use CDs and doesn't ever service their 'PC's' HDD, RAM, GPU, etc.

 

So you are saying the target customer is one who will replace their computer every 2 or 3 years because they don't have enough RAM or storage space anymore?  That seems really dumb and shortsighted, especially since Macs have typically been useful FAR longer than any other type of computer.  I had PowerMac 6100 for 10 years - simply b/c I was able to upgrade the RAM, HDD, and processor (to a G3) several times.  I've had an eMac for 8 years now and an iMac for 7 - all because I was able to put more RAM into them and keep them working.

 

The problem with your argument is that it is ALL Apple will offer.  I have no other choice but a Mac Pro (for the desk) - which is WAY more than I would need.  The performance capability is the iMac is plenty, but the silly form over function design (all connections on the back, slimness for slimness sake - at the removal/repositioning of component and connectors) hurts users like me who want their computer to be a little more user friendly.

post #122 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Way to go to make your point by hurling insults.  Pretty much invalidates anything you said.

This is the reality. ...What Solips said is true.  I'm not EVEN going to waste my time to google for you the direction that PC-tech is going.  CD-tech is dead.  A cheap USB stick holds a heck of a lot more than a CD does. Technology is not going to be put on hold because you have to have an aging, mechanical device in your computer.  Sorry to be the one to have to tell you that.

 

Your comment about USB sticks points out another huge problem with the current iMac design solution - all of the USB ports are on the BACK of the machine.  It is MUCH easier to slip my DVD into the side of my machine than to get up, turn the machine 1/2 way around, find the USB port, stick something in it, turn my machine back around so I can use it (and the USB drive I just inserted), turn it back around when I am done, take the USB stick back out, and finally turn my machine back around.

 

That's a REAL smart way to work.

post #123 of 190
Originally Posted by ericole View Post
To state the truth is not hyperbole. 

 

And if you were stating the truth… See the point I'm trying to make? People don't use CDs like they did last decade.

 

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.

 

Does Apple run Redbox? I fail to see why they should care otherwise. One less way to pirate movies for a dollar each by removing ODDs from Apple computers. If people actually used them as you claim, the MacBook Air wouldn't be a success. The Mac Mini wouldn't have been able to drop the drive, either. We would have had backlash at some point in these last three years. Turns out, people gobble them up. 

 

If I'm going to buy a movie or music, it will be on DVD.  I can use that drive to burn the DVD to play on my AppleTV, or to move songs off the CDs.  There are MANY people who have been around a long time that prefer to buy their media on physical discs, vs just downloading them.

 

I used to be like that! Then Apple offered unlimited redownloads and I got over it. What I'm still against is NOT having a copy of my media locally, and I'll always be against that.

 

Also, we create DVDs for family every year to show them what has been going on, in an entertaining way, with their grandson over the year.  We don't live close to them, so it's a nice way to catch them up.

 

So do you mail these DVDs out there? Or do you take them when you visit? Because you can take an Apple TV when you visit.

 

In many ways, removing a physical drive from a desktop makes it just a beefed up iPad on a stand.

 

Other than the processor, the RAM, the GPU, the storage media, the means of input, the ports, the fans, the entire UX… 

 

But yeah, that's what they're after. The next iMac redesign will probably be multitouch, with software designed specifically for that to boot. No moving parts in a computer is the future. Embrace it or be left behind.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #124 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole View Post

To state the truth is not hyperbole. 

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.


Those Redboxes don't mean there are a lot of folks are watching movies on their computers. TV ≠ computer.

CD sales are in the minority now.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/26/12 at 2:45pm
post #125 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

 

I agree with Bruce. Those of you excoriating users who want / need DVD burners, etc, need to step away from your myopic perspective. Anyone working in commercial graphics / video production receives hundreds of DVDs with source material. You possibly heard of "graphic design"? The original market that saved Apple from itself?

 

There is a place for permanent non-modifiable data storage. It's call an archive. Keychains USBs and external drives are indeed available for data transfer, but those are modifiable, non-permanent and can transmit trojans and viruses (see STUXNET). If nothing else, once burned, viruses cannot infect or destroy DVD data - not so with USB keychains, external HDs, networked storage. Finally, the "pre-post-PC world" still uses DVDs and even CDs from time to time, afaiac, viva la difference and the more options, the better.

 

To those whining "Adobe is a dinosaur... MS is a dinosaur" - get real. If Adobe pulled their software from Mac OS X, goodbye 20% of current marketshare. MS, same. So you don't use Photoshop or Word - lucky you. In the real world, these are the apps that get work done in corporations and justify purchase of more expensive iStuff. They're called "standards" - have you heard of them?

 

Lack of simple serviceability is a real value issue. If GM suddenly said "only our authorized service nerds can open the hood of your car" what would happen to GM sales?

 

"Normal people don't work on their computers" - ok fine, but when I can buy DIMMs, SSDs, 7200RPM HDs, etc etc etc from 3rd parties for a fraction of Apple pre-installed prices, with better performance, why shouldn't I? Oh, because in the name of "engineering" Apple has decided to lock down hardware that you paid for and own.

 

Finally, I only post to Apple Insider very infrequently because the cloying fanboyism here negates any possibility of serious intelligent dialog. You know, dialog, where one party says something, and another respectfully agrees or disagrees while offering logical arguments for or against.

 

Most of you think your way is the only way. It is infinitely annoying when you folks judge how people use their machines with comments like "why aren't you using BluRay", "normal people don't service their own stuff", "digital distribution is the post-pc future", "Microsoft is a dinosaur", "Adobe - what do you expect" (or generalizations to that effect) when your sense of legacy and history doesn't extend beyond the smartphone era.

 

When Apple was the underdog, Apple users always were courteous to each other, if not Windows users. I don't recognize this level of "discourse" here in AI forums, precisely because it isn't discourse - it's high school grade fanboyism at its worst.

 

Note that there were no character attacks in my post. I've been doing IT since it was called DP.  (Amazing the similarities between IBM System/370 & 327x, and web servers/browsers - but - what would most of you know about that?)

 

Those that don't remember the past think they've discovered something new, when in fact, there's nothing new under the sun.. 

 

But, I'm a dinosaur, WTF do I know, right? I've used Macs longer than most of you have been alive. So, flame on. Send back the rover, no apparent intelligence here...

This covers it all.  Just because YOU don't use your computer this way does not mean that a lot still od and will continue.  That bascially means that the only viable iMac upgrade for us would be the current model to be replaced by these new machines - since it is much more user-servicable and usable based on hardware and port (at least some) placement.

post #126 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

And to anybody whining about the lack of an optical drive, wake up people, it's not 1999 anymore. Apple should have dropped it years ago. If you are one of the 53 people on planet earth who still uses an optical drive, then just go and buy an external drive. I hear that they're rather affordable. Don't be selfish and demand that Apple include an obsolete feature that the vast majority of users do not wish for, do not need, and will not use.

So they took out that obsolete feature that most of you don't need - and how much did they shave off the price for you?  That would seem like a fair trade, right?

post #127 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I don't have any abuse to dish out towards you. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

 

But just know one thing, while your opinion isn't exactly incorrect, it is an opinion afterall, I will say that your personal view represents a tiny minority of users. You still use DVD's and buy CD's? Good for you, but most people don't.

 

Apple should build machines for the 99%, not the 1%, and you sir, are a statistical outlier, an extremist.

 

Proof of that statement that we are in a tiny minority?  People commenting on here would seem to make that statement incorrect.

post #128 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

 

And if you can't even be bothered to go and purchase a cheap external drive just proves that this iMac is obviously not made for you. Either use what you already have, or just go and buy something else.

 

Here's the main concern.  We are Mac users - don't want to be anything else.  But if our choice comes down to an iMac that doesn't fit our needs and a Mac Pro that is way overkill (and over price), we are stuck in a bad situation.  That's the rub.  Optical media (and the placement of useful ports) is a big thing to a lot of people today.  We are simply NOT in a "cloud" world yet, and won't be there for quite some time.  Maybe with iDevices, but not with desktop computers.

post #129 of 190
Originally Posted by ericole View Post
Proof of that statement that we are in a tiny minority?

 

Proof that you aren't, please. The whiners always outweigh the people who don't waste their time saying they don't have any problems.


Originally Posted by ericole View Post
Optical media (and the placement of useful ports) is a big thing to a lot of people today.

 

And again, no, it isn't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #130 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And if you were stating the truth… See the point I'm trying to make? People don't use CDs like they did last decade.

 

 

Does Apple run Redbox? I fail to see why they should care otherwise. One less way to pirate movies for a dollar each by removing ODDs from Apple computers. If people actually used them as you claim, the MacBook Air wouldn't be a success. The Mac Mini wouldn't have been able to drop the drive, either. We would have had backlash at some point in these last three years. Turns out, people gobble them up. 

 

 

I used to be like that! Then Apple offered unlimited redownloads and I got over it. What I'm still against is NOT having a copy of my media locally, and I'll always be against that.

 

 

So do you mail these DVDs out there? Or do you take them when you visit? Because you can take an Apple TV when you visit.

 

 

Other than the processor, the RAM, the GPU, the storage media, the means of input, the ports, the fans, the entire UX… 

 

But yeah, that's what they're after. The next iMac redesign will probably be multitouch, with software designed specifically for that to boot. No moving parts in a computer is the future. Embrace it or be left behind.

 

I didn't suggest Apple did run Redbox, but that prooves that DVDs are out there in force.  Didn't suggest people use them to make illegal copies.  The smallest of these new machines has a larger monitor than the first TV I had, for about 10 years!  So it is just fine to watch a movie on - especially if you don't want to fork out tons of money for a TV.  We don't pay for cable or any other pay service, just have an antenna.  Many times I just watch Hulu things right on the computer.  Same works for DVDs at times.

 

People may not use CD like they did the last decade, but they still have a LOT of life left in them.

 

Apple offering unlimited downloads is fine, if you get your media from them and not on an optical disc.

 

We don't go, we mail.

 

And as one other person pointed out, the US is not like some other places where every citizen has all the time access to super-fast internet.

like I said, beefed up iPad.

post #131 of 190
Originally Posted by ericole View Post
…that proves that DVDs are out there in force.


The closing or bankrupting of most, if not all, video rental stores, laying of of their employees, and replacement with automated vending machines offering discs at ludicrously bargain bin prices "proves DVDs are out in force". Uh… huh… 

 

Didn't suggest people use them to make illegal copies.

 

Didn't suggest you suggested it, nor that Apple owned Redbox.

 

The smallest of these new machines has a larger monitor than the first TV I had, for about 10 years!  So it is just fine to watch a movie on…

 

Wait, you stand there in the rain and watch the movie trailers over and over? Context!

 

…especially if you don't want to fork out tons of money for a TV.

 

Now, I was joking before but is that REALLY what you mean?! Because from what you've written here, it's the conclusion I'm drawing. You can get a TV and a Blu-ray player for far less than a Mac.

 

People may not use CD like they did the last decade, but they still have a LOT of life left in them.

 

Not if Apple kills them off, they don't.

 

like I said, beefed up iPad.

 

And I'm stating that you're completely wrong. Sorry you missed that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #132 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Not all of them, but they are. 

I was expecting that, I guess 99% of people must just use the iMac for FaceBook, emails and posting their thoughts as facts on forums.

Personally I do use optical media and all of the people at my work (who copied me when I bought an iMac and raved about it) all said they wouldn't consider an iMac without the built in drive.

The iMac is uncluttered and pleasing to the eye but it is also quite expensive. Therefore few people want to have an external and have to pay for it too just because some future visionaries (let's call them work shy FaceBook users) don't ever use theirs.

 

I don't disagree that optical drives should be phased out, just not yet on the iMac, there is no point apart from cost cutting by Apple.

 

The depth of the iMac can only really be measured between the furthest points front to back. In all cases this is the stand so in fact, the 2004 iMac is still the thinnest as the stand wasn't as deep.

 

Sticking with the 24" iMac as the new one isn't designed for people who actually do any physical work. I will consider a Cinema display and mac mini in the future as you can get hangers to hang everything neatly on the back of the screen.

post #133 of 190

THIS!

 

Hence why there are now 4 USB slots in the back of the iMac.

 

I do not, however, understand all of the people complaining about losing FW 800. It's stupidly slow in comparison to USB 3.0, and FW 800 really isn't all that different from USB 2.0. USB 3.0 drives are actually pretty affordable. Anyone who bought a HD with only FW is a moron, and if you were really serious about editing, you were using an ESATA and a MacPro. USB 3.0 will serve quite well until Thunderbolt becomes affordable. 

 

AND we all know Apple to be relentless in the pursuit of new tech. Killing FW 800 has been a long time coming (along with the OD). No one can really feign surprise on this one. We saw it from a mile away. 

post #134 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I was expecting that, I guess 99% of people must just use the iMac for FaceBook, emails and posting their thoughts as facts on forums.

Personally I do use optical media and all of the people at my work (who copied me when I bought an iMac and raved about it) all said they wouldn't consider an iMac without the built in drive.

The iMac is uncluttered and pleasing to the eye but it is also quite expensive. Therefore few people want to have an external and have to pay for it too just because some future visionaries (let's call them work shy FaceBook users) don't ever use theirs.

 

I don't disagree that optical drives should be phased out, just not yet on the iMac, there is no point apart from cost cutting by Apple.

 

The depth of the iMac can only really be measured between the furthest points front to back. In all cases this is the stand so in fact, the 2004 iMac is still the thinnest as the stand wasn't as deep.

 

Sticking with the 24" iMac as the new one isn't designed for people who actually do any physical work. I will consider a Cinema display and mac mini in the future as you can get hangers to hang everything neatly on the back of the screen.

 

So you're upset that the iMac doesn't have a crummy, slow vertical disk drive, and are therefore going to buy a mini which also lacks an OD? Right...

 

I'm a film editor, and quite aware of the usefulness of an OD, but give it a year. H265, cloud storage, and cheaper portable drives will make an OD completely obsolete. 

post #135 of 190
Agree hillstone, im buying the cheaper superseded version as i have learnt lately with apple. Eg ipad 3 to ipad 4.... The pad that should have been released 6 months ago for people that had different LTE frequencies. So now we have a imac that has lessened the flexibilty in regards to i/0. What!! Not audio input! Etc etc. then they will tweak this NEW VERSION after they get feedback from customers that its somewhat lacking and complaints that you cant get in to fix it. Then this model will be rendered a value of 300 bucks ....and on and on. Apple stop the marketing hype and start building proper engineered machines for all leagues of people....dont worry about your fat bum or weight for a desktop....your just a shiny silver machine.... What next, nip and tuck surgery... Just make it easy to fix.... Put the required gear in it...and stop the fashion show. Buy the way TIM....YOUR IPHONE 5 SUCKS...its got manufacturing flaws you wont stand up and admit to....
post #136 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go one step further!

802.11ac AirPort family. The AirPort Extreme gets two USB ports and Time Capsule keeps just one. The Apple SuperDrive can be plugged into either of them and operate as a network ODD for the <1% of people who need it. The second one is for a hard drive for backups, like now. Or, you know a hard drive for NETWORK ATTACHED ITUNES STORA… Sorry, got carried away.

Sorry, but what use is a network ODD? My AE is not anywhere near my mac and neither would my TC be if I had one. You need to load discs into an ODD therefore it needs to be next to your mac.

I have my iTunes lib on an external drive and all my music comes from ripped CDs.
post #137 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomac View Post

Sorry, but what use is a network ODD? My AE is not anywhere near my mac and neither would my TC be if I had one. You need to load discs into an ODD therefore it needs to be next to your mac.
I have my iTunes lib on an external drive and all my music comes from ripped CDs.

The use is how Apple intended when they devised the protocols bd added the SW to their Macs years ago. It was originally so the MBA, which still stupidly came with a DVD Restore Disc, could be repaired via any updated Mac with an ODD. It wasn't enacted for constant use cases, for that you need one attached to your machine.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #138 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole 
So they took out that obsolete feature that most of you don't need - and how much did they shave off the price for you?  That would seem like a fair trade, right?

I agree the price shouldn't have gone up. They only added 4GB RAM, which should have been easily offset by the cost of the drive removal. Maybe the screen lamination process is more expensive though and it will be a huge benefit having less glare.
post #139 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole View Post

{...snip...}

I've had my iMac for about 7 years and at some point I might replace it.  The one thing that has ALWAYS annoyed me was all of the ports on the back.  Now, everything is on the back (even card slot) and there is no optical drive.  Having to add one, and having to add port splitters that sit on your desk just to make your computer functional, sort of kills the point of an AIO design.  Unless you have your computer sitting on a desk with no back, or away from the wall, it's a major pain to plug anything in.  And with all of the different peripherals to the computer - iPhone, iPad/Pod, cameras, etc - that's a lot that can be plugged in and out a lot.

{...snip...}

I have a mid-2010 iMac with all the ports on the back of the unit (SD card and ODD slots on opposite sides) and routinely cursed when having to swap plugs in and out (a USB hub would fix that but so far I haven't found one that works well with the iMac).

I now mostly use the spare USB socket in the keyboard - going back to the Magic Trackpad would free up the other one - for plugging in the camera and thumb (flash) drives.
post #140 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't like how disingenuous the pictures of it are, you know? Yeah, it's thinner… at it's thinnest point. I don't see any MacBook Air pictures trying to hide its bulge.

And I don't really get why they couldn't have made RAM user-upgradable in the 21.5" model, but we'll have to wait until iFixit breaks one apart (and gives it a zero repairability rating) to see if it would have been possible.

Did you actually believe that you could cram a Intel Core i7 in something 5mm thick?
post #141 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Removing the optical drive did not allow Apple to make a thinner iMac, because it is not thinner, except for the very edge.  It is still just as fat in the back.  The 3.5 hard drive in the 27" model is thicker than a slot load optical drive.  My 2011 iMac just became more valuable compared to the new iMac.  The 2011 iMac has the SD card slot on the side, where it should be.  It has an optical drive, which is still used on a regular basis.  It has Audio Input.  It has a FireWire 800 port.  The new iMac...none of that.  Apple would prefer you to use dongles and external devices with your sleek new iMac...that you spent a lot of money on.  Hey Apple, since you removed those features, why are you still charging the same price as the previous model that included those features?  When I look at my iMac, I can't see the sides of it, so I could care less how thin it is, or isn't.

The best part of this refresh is the crippled 21.5" model.  Ha!  No memory upgrades by the user (they removed the user-accessible panel), and a lousy 5400 RPM laptop drive instead of a 7200 RPM desktop-class drive.  Brilliant.  Talk about a step-backwards.

Screen is superior on the 2012 iMac.

I will take that any day than the SuperDrive. I look at the screen on a daily basis. I use the drive once every few months.

I am weird like that.
Edited by msantti - 10/28/12 at 9:00am
post #142 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole View Post

Your comment about USB sticks points out another huge problem with the current iMac design solution - all of the USB ports are on the BACK of the machine.  It is MUCH easier to slip my DVD into the side of my machine than to get up, turn the machine 1/2 way around, find the USB port, stick something in it, turn my machine back around so I can use it (and the USB drive I just inserted), turn it back around when I am done, take the USB stick back out, and finally turn my machine back around.

That's a REAL smart way to work.

I know it's bad but please do not do anything rash like jump out a window or something.
post #143 of 190
Originally Posted by msantti View Post
Did you actually believe that you could cram a Intel Core i7 in something 5mm thick?

 

What part of this is about me? You'd have to ask someone who doesn't know better whether they think this is possible. And what does it have to do with the point at hand?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #144 of 190

I don't think the 5mm edge is misleading. They're not claiming it's amazing because the whole thing (or even the majority) is 5mm, they're claiming that even having a working monitor that's 5mm thick just around the edges is pretty amazing. Is it an engineering first? I don't know. But I was looking at the HDTVs and monitors in my local electronics shop on the weekend and none have achieved that, about the best I could find was a Samsung 23" monitor that was 12mm.

post #145 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post

 

So you're upset that the iMac doesn't have a crummy, slow vertical disk drive, and are therefore going to buy a mini which also lacks an OD? Right...

 

I'm a film editor, and quite aware of the usefulness of an OD, but give it a year. H265, cloud storage, and cheaper portable drives will make an OD completely obsolete. 

Yes, if I'm being forced to run an external drive then I may as well get a 2nd hand 30" cinema display and hang a mac mini and an external drive on the back. It'll be several hundred bucks cheaper with a bigger and better screen. I'd rather have a free "crummy and slow" internal disc drive than a paid for "crummy and slow" external. The CDs spin at the right speed to listen and rip music and the DVD spin fast enough so I can watch films and burn DVDr's. I'm not a DVD production facility. Standard 8x speed and a super 32x speed one really isn't much more than 5 minutes different over a burnt DVD. I spend more time than that trying to find sensible informative posts amongst the nonsensical chaff on here.

post #146 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Yes, if I'm being forced to run an external drive then I may as well get a 2nd hand 30" cinema display and hang a mac mini and an external drive on the back. It'll be several hundred bucks cheaper with a bigger and better screen. I'd rather have a free "crummy and slow" internal disc drive than a paid for "crummy and slow" external. The CDs spin at the right speed to listen and rip music and the DVD spin fast enough so I can watch films and burn DVDr's. I'm not a DVD production facility. Standard 8x speed and a super 32x speed one really isn't much more than 5 minutes different over a burnt DVD. I spend more time than that trying to find sensible informative posts amongst the nonsensical chaff on here.

 

The MacMini still lacks an Optical Drive. I'm not understanding where you're going to stick those DVD's... 

 

I'm not trying to sound rude or sarcastic, but I don't understand why buying a $70 (or less newegg.com) external OD is such a break point? Why is this such an issue? I have printers, back up drives, portable drives, mice, an Avid keyboard that all use USBs and are not inside my All in One computer. That's never been a breaking point for me. Why is this such a big deal? 

post #147 of 190

Though it is true the weight doesnt matter to us, it matters to Apple and shipping costs etc.

 

That said, the prices have gone up, which is quite a shame..


That again said, my biggest regret is that Apple appear to have announced it, given no option for preorder, no proper date, just a month, and we dont even know the prices of Fusion, RAM or processor upgrades 

William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
post #148 of 190

Agreed that the bulge is kind of hidden, but it's still incredibly thin compared to my iMac. It's more to prove a point. I wonder why they even included the bulge and what it holds. It so doesn't fit with the design, and the utilitarian straight lines. I'm sure there's some function but they should have found a way around it.

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply
post #149 of 190
Originally Posted by obsessedapple View Post
I wonder why they even included the bulge and what it holds. It so doesn't fit with the design, and the utilitarian straight lines. I'm sure there's some function but they should have found a way around it.

 

The actual hardware. There's nothing but the screen otherwise.

 

They can find a way around it in the new Thunderbolt Display. But if you want to actually be buying a computer, you need the bulge.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #150 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
They can find a way around it in the new Thunderbolt Display.

That probably won't arrive until next year if they aren't able to get the iMacs out until December but they should be able to get the whole thing fairly thin. USB 3, drop FW800, laminated panel. The price might go up though.
post #151 of 190
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That probably won't arrive until next year if they aren't able to get the iMacs out until December but they should be able to get the whole thing fairly thin. USB 3, drop FW800, laminated panel. The price might go up though.

 

Ooh, that's the last thing we need. Agreed about the timeframe, though.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #152 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That probably won't arrive until next year if they aren't able to get the iMacs out until December but they should be able to get the whole thing fairly thin. USB 3, drop FW800, laminated panel. The price might go up though.

I might get that. I want to upgrade my second screen to a 27", and it's a good way for me to get USB 3.
post #153 of 190

I don't like the road apple is heading towards. Making everything as thin, compact, and trying to be as controlling as possible. Those seem like great qualities but the point of an iMac is to be a desktop. I don't need it to be remarkably thin and compact. I'm buying a desktop and want a desktop GPU, I want to be able to add RAM. DVD's/CD's are becoming obsolete but not yet.  

 

Secondly why does this not have capability of 802.11ac? You push the DVD technology out as being old, but don't embrace technology that is extremely relevant and important for future usage. 

 

At this point I'd just buy a macbook pro and use my second monitor when I'm in desktop mode and travel with it. The new iMac is an immobile laptop. 

post #154 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post

I don't like the road apple is heading towards. Making everything as thin, compact, and trying to be as controlling as possible. Those seem like great qualities but the point of an iMac is to be a desktop. I don't need it to be remarkably thin and compact. I'm buying a desktop and want a desktop GPU, I want to be able to add RAM. DVD's/CD's are becoming obsolete but not yet.  

Secondly why does this not have capability of 802.11ac? You push the DVD technology out as being old, but don't embrace technology that is extremely relevant and important for future usage. 

How many PC models are supporting 802.11ac right now? Can you not see a difference between jumping on a new marketing term right away and actually making a viable tool for users? It would be nice to have, but not at the expensive of it being little more than an item on a spec sheet.

Quote:
At this point I'd just buy a macbook pro and use my second monitor when I'm in desktop mode and travel with it. The new iMac is an immobile laptop. 

So it uses up to a 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz) CPU but somehow that's something you find in a notebook? It uses a 3.5" HDD and that is something you find in a notebook? It has a 21.5" or 27" display and you can find those in notebooks? You can even upgrade the RAM. So because you don't want a GPU with an 'M' in the model name you are taking a stance that it's slow and that the entire device is a laptop. Now do you really think you are making reasonable claims here?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #155 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post

I don't like the road apple is heading towards. Making everything as thin, compact, and trying to be as controlling as possible. Those seem like great qualities but the point of an iMac is to be a desktop. I don't need it to be remarkably thin and compact. I'm buying a desktop and want a desktop GPU, I want to be able to add RAM. DVD's/CD's are becoming obsolete but not yet.  

At this point I'd just buy a macbook pro and use my second monitor when I'm in desktop mode and travel with it. The new iMac is an immobile laptop. 

On the part you bolded, detractors have been saying that about iMacs all along, since the introduction of the model, which dropped the floppy, generating the same complaints, yet life went on.
post #156 of 190
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post

The new iMac is an immobile laptop. 

 

Other than the desktop CPU, desktop HDDs, desktop RAM, desktop screen… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #157 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Other than the desktop CPU, desktop HDDs, desktop RAM, desktop screen… 

Uhh, mobile GPU, hard drives switched to standard 5200rpm (indicates probably a 2.5in drive), We don't know the RAM type yet. Really the CPU and having a display is the biggest difference. 

post #158 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post

Uhh, mobile GPU, hard drives switched to standard 5200rpm (indicates probably a 2.5in drive), We don't know the RAM type yet. Really the CPU and having a display is the biggest difference. 

1) There are 3TB 2.5" 72000RPM HDDs?

2) So the CPU and display being the biggest difference and yet you are ignoring what you claim are the biggest difference. Since when are those CPUs, 21.5" and 27" displays, the PSU, etc. found in laptop computers?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #159 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post

Uhh, mobile GPU, hard drives switched to standard 5200rpm (indicates probably a 2.5in drive), We don't know the RAM type yet. Really the CPU and having a display is the biggest difference. 

You can't get a 3TB 2.5" drive, so I highly doubt your assumption on the hard drive. The memory is probably SO-DIMM because previous iMacs use that, but I don't think SO-DIMM is necessarily slower, just smaller.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/5/12 at 10:20am
post #160 of 190
Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post
Uhh, mobile GPU…

 

Come ON. You see one letter 'M' and you start whining like there's no tomorrow.


You don't have an argument. If you want to SLI three GeForce 680s, go buy a PC. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive