or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive

Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive - Page 3

post #81 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And there is such a machine, made just for you. It's called the Mac Pro. I hear that the new ones will be out in 2013.

If the display is such an issue, he can plug one into the iMac and have dual displays.  There's certainly nothing wrong with the performance of the iMac, it is workstation class.

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #82 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I agree with Bruce. Those of you excoriating users who want / need DVD burners, etc, need to step away from your myopic perspective. Anyone working in commercial graphics / video production receives hundreds of DVDs with source material. You possibly heard of "graphic design"? The original market that saved Apple from itself?

Odd, the thing I hear from the commercial graphics/video production folks is "the internal burner is too damn slow to bother with".  Now with USB3 you can use pretty much any of the fast Blu-Ray external burners at their rated speeds.  A pro or prosumer using the craptastic internal 4x (for dual layer) "super"drive is being pennywise and pound foolish.

Folks bitching about an external burner cluttering their desks ignore all the other crap cluttering the desks of graphics/video pros.

post #83 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

YOu need to learn a thing or two about home "burned" CD and DVDs... they aren't as permanent as you think.  The tech big industries used to make discs that are sold with software or movies and music and such are NOT the same tech your home burner uses... and you can very well lose your data over time.

Yah, tape is where it's at for actual backup media.  Which is why I punted and paid for CrashPlan and a couple external drives for short term backups.  If my RAID 1 dies, my offsite backup external is lost and Crashplan dead then something has gone terribly wrong and I probably don't really care that much about my data anymore.

post #84 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If the display is such an issue, he can plug one into the iMac and have dual displays.  There's certainly nothing wrong with the performance of the iMac, it is workstation class.

All the best.

What does workstation mean these days?

post #85 of 190
Some of you are missing the point. Apple are slowly migrating us all towards a high speed (almost) always on cloud based future, where machines like the iMac will be sexy 'light weight' terminals, and won't require as much power or memory as pure desktop paradigm hardware does. Just as Siri offloads most if not all the work to Apple's servers, so, power apps (including those like Photoshop) will one day also hand over some of their tasks to remote servers making the 'terminal' device more affordable and of course, easier to keep 'active'.

IE, if your iMac fails and you receive a replacement/loaner, you'll simply login to a future version of iCloud and continue where you left off. This is what Google are trying to do with the Chromebook concept, even if on a less ambitious scale.

Apple know YOUR future even if you're not aware of it - yet!

1smile.gif
post #86 of 190

All the talk about Apple going down to a 5400 RPM drive has got me a little concerned. Can anyone comment, at a practical level, the impact this will have on performance? Will it really be noticeable? We use our iMac at home - surfing, gaming, music, photos, etc.

Thanks.

post #87 of 190
AS for me,,, I think it looks great and it will look great on my office desk. Why so people try to find something wrong is beyond me. I'll order what I need with sufficient RAM, run bootcamp for office work, and grin while others marvel my machine. This iMac Rocks!!
Glad I waited - Raleigh, NC
Joe
post #88 of 190

Apple's 2 key words for 2012. Adapters and Money.

We've made it better by giving you less stuff.

No DVD drive, wow!

Slower HDDs, OMG awesome!

No Firewire, woohoo I love buying adapters!

Less aluminium in the case so it's cheaper on materials, whooosh, bonza profit!

Lighter, lower shipping fees for Apple!

It's thinner at the edge so then you get the benefits of..... errrr..... ermmmm..... really hurting your hands when you have to take it to an Apple shop to be fixed.

To make up for it, have a rejigged 2010 Fermi graphics architecture and ivy bridge which is being superseded in 6 or 7 months by Haswell.

Now, I saw the whole drive deletion debate going on around the time of 3.5" and it's similar here however, I'm just not ready to give up my DVD drive yet and I don't want to pay extra for an external drive that I got internal for free on the previous models. I buy audio CDs and rip them to iTunes. In many cases it is cheaper to buy CDs instead of downloading legally. Same with DVDs, I buy, I watch, I sell on (unless I really like the film).

Older films are cheap on Amazon and new films can be bought/watched/sold for a loss of about $2 which again is cheaper than downloading legally from iTunes.

"Adding thinness" on a desktop makes no sense to me, what was the gain? The previous 2 generations have never really been bettered and they weren't exactly fat.

Good idea sticking the SD card slot around the back. Form over function in every sense of the word. It'd have been better to not bother. If you use it it's gonna be a pain, if you don't you won't need it. If you do use it you'll probably get a USB card reader and a USB extension cable. Again, Apple shouldn't have bothered even putting the SD lot on the iMac at all if they aren't going to put it somewhere sensible. More people are going to use the DVD drive than the SD port.

The only way I would have upgraded to this cut down iMac is if they did it in 30" standard screen or at a push, 27" retina.

So now the decision has to be made, upgrade my 24" to the current 27" before the new one shows up, wait for the new one and get the old "fat" 27" iMac or wait until the middle of next year to see if Apple actually improve the next version.

These are my opinions, I look forward to a torrent of abuse from the self important "high milers" who believe that their opinions are fact and my personal opinions are incorrect.

post #89 of 190
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
…my personal opinions are incorrect.

Not all of them, but they are. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #90 of 190
Quote:

These are my opinions, I look forward to a torrent of abuse from the self important "high milers" who believe that their opinions are fact and my personal opinions are incorrect.

I don't have any abuse to dish out towards you. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

But just know one thing, while your opinion isn't exactly incorrect, it is an opinion afterall, I will say that your personal view represents a tiny minority of users. You still use DVD's and buy CD's? Good for you, but most people don't.

Apple should build machines for the 99%, not the 1%, and you sir, are a statistical outlier, an extremist. Expecting Apple to accommodate such a tiny group of people who still dwell in the past and demand obsolete features would not be a wise business move for Apple. And if you can't even be bothered to go and purchase a cheap external drive just proves that this iMac is obviously not made for you. Either use what you already have, or just go and buy something else.

post #91 of 190
Quote:

Apple's 2 key words for 2012. Adapters and Money.

We've made it better by giving you less stuff.
No DVD drive, wow!
Slower HDDs, OMG awesome!
No Firewire, woohoo I love buying adapters!
Less aluminium in the case so it's cheaper on materials, whooosh, bonza profit!
Lighter, lower shipping fees for Apple!
It's thinner at the edge so then you get the benefits of..... errrr..... ermmmm..... really hurting your hands when you have to take it to an Apple shop to be fixed.

To make up for it, have a rejigged 2010 Fermi graphics architecture and ivy bridge which is being superseded in 6 or 7 months by Haswell.

Now, I saw the whole drive deletion debate going on around the time of 3.5" and it's similar here however, I'm just not ready to give up my DVD drive yet and I don't want to pay extra for an external drive that I got internal for free on the previous models. I buy audio CDs and rip them to iTunes. In many cases it is cheaper to buy CDs instead of downloading legally. Same with DVDs, I buy, I watch, I sell on (unless I really like the film).
Older films are cheap on Amazon and new films can be bought/watched/sold for a loss of about $2 which again is cheaper than downloading legally from iTunes.

"Adding thinness" on a desktop makes no sense to me, what was the gain? The previous 2 generations have never really been bettered and they weren't exactly fat.

Good idea sticking the SD card slot around the back. Form over function in every sense of the word. It'd have been better to not bother. If you use it it's gonna be a pain, if you don't you won't need it. If you do use it you'll probably get a USB card reader and a USB extension cable. Again, Apple shouldn't have bothered even putting the SD lot on the iMac at all if they aren't going to put it somewhere sensible. More people are going to use the DVD drive than the SD port.

The only way I would have upgraded to this cut down iMac is if they did it in 30" standard screen or at a push, 27" retina.
So now the decision has to be made, upgrade my 24" to the current 27" before the new one shows up, wait for the new one and get the old "fat" 27" iMac or wait until the middle of next year to see if Apple actually improve the next version.

I spoke against the misguided SD card slot location. I believe it's possible to have a slot in a more reasonable location if they wanted to, but it doesn't seem like they care.

I'm not happy with the drop in ports. Needing a special adapter for everything gets old.

But at some point, you need to let go of the optical drive. I don't know where it's cheaper to buy a CD and rip, unless you buy used. Then I'll grant that.
post #92 of 190
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I'm not happy with the drop in ports. Needing a special adapter for everything gets old.

We're just in a bad time. USB had this same transition period, where adapters were required for everything. Once Haswell picks up, Thunderbolt will become the standard.

post #93 of 190
I buy CDs and rip and I get plenty of them cheaper than an iTunes download and even at the same price you get more cos you can rip losslessly rather than get a 256kbps AAC file.

There are tons of people that do this. Audio forums are full of people that manage music libraries in this way.

I don't see the point of making it thinner but it does look fantastic. I'm concerned about the 5400 hard drive but someone did say that these drives nowadays are much better than they used to be. I don't know the technicalities of that.

The other downsides for me are that the 21" has non accessible ram and the base model has no fusion drive option.

I really thought that a newly designed iMac would offer SSD in the base model as this is so popular these days and prices are coming down.

All in all it looks great and I could get close to what I want but I'd have to spend more on a custom option.
post #94 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomac View Post

All in all it looks great and I could get close to what I want but I'd have to spend more on a custom option.

Apple has always been shrewd in that way, even going back more than a decade or more.

The bottom model will always come with some compromises, and you're going to have to add on some extra options or move up to the next models, in order to get exactly what you want.

post #95 of 190
I really thought that a newly designed iMac would offer SSD in the base model as this is so popular these days and prices are coming down.

Not nearly enough for the capacities expected of a desktop.

post #96 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is it a known fact that somebody can not choose to configure one with an SSD though?

On the Apple store, you can not even buy an iMac at the moment, and you can not configure a custom one either.

I'm expecting that somebody will be able to configure one with an SSD if that's what they want. 512Gb SSDs are pretty pricey still, but if somebody's willing to spend the money on one, then why not!

post #97 of 190
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
Is it a known fact that somebody can not choose to configure one with an SSD though?

I was operating under the assumption that you'd be able to choose HDD, Fusion, SDD, or HDD+SDD still.

post #98 of 190
Quote:

I was operating under the assumption that you'd be able to choose HDD, Fusion, SDD, or HDD+SDD still.

Yes, I'm sure that that will be an option.

I just misunderstood the comment for a moment.

It's pretty obvious why the bottom model doesn't come with SSD standard though, as you're correct, a small sized SSD is not nearly enough for a desktop machine. 

post #99 of 190
Quote:

We're just in a bad time. USB had this same transition period, where adapters were required for everything. Once Haswell picks up, Thunderbolt will become the standard.

I don't believe that Thunderbolt is a replacement for everything. They're great for RAID, most other things are just not practical, or is simply overkill.
post #100 of 190
I don't believe that Thunderbolt is a replacement for everything. They're great for RAID, most other things are just not practical, or is simply overkill.

What if the IO speed of NAND chips was a non-issue. Would that change minds?

post #101 of 190
Quote:

What if the IO speed of NAND chips was a non-issue. Would that change minds?

Not all IO is storage, so no.
post #102 of 190
Not all IO is storage, so no.

I just mean read/write. Had that, changed it. Don't know why, come to think of it. lol.gif

post #103 of 190
Quote:

No of course, but I meant coupled with a hard drive even in a regular two drives situation, although Apple have come with the Fusion Drive, but not on the base model.
post #104 of 190
Quote:

I just mean read/write. Had that, changed it. Don't know why, come to think of it. lol.gif

Part of my response is that the alternative IO, wireless, doesn't seem to be doing well enough. I can see storage going to Thunderbolt, but a lot of non-storage connectivity needs improvement to do away with the USB. Maybe if a hub was available or wasn't priced so silly.

Wireless for data is pretty good now. But I'm having bad luck with the multitouch on Apple's Bluetooth products. I like Bluetooth audio for the convenience, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it for quality.

My printers are networked, so that can go away or use an adapter at worst, I suppose. But it seems silly to use a $30 adapter to get a $50 labeller connected.
post #105 of 190
Quote:

Yes, the options are 3TB HDD, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive or 768GB SSD on the 27" and 1TB Fusion Drive on the 21".

Or did I misunderstand too?
post #106 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153730/apple-slims-down-imac-40-with-friction-stir-welding-ditching-the-disc-drive/80#post_2219750"]Yes, I'm sure that that will be an option.

I just misunderstood the comment for a moment.

It's pretty obvious why the bottom model doesn't come with SSD standard though, as you're correct, a small sized SSD is not nearly enough for a desktop machine. 

Perhaps a 128GB SSD coupled with a 500GB HDD would've been seen as a decent entry into SSD tech for base model users, giving them the obvious benefits of SSD.

I think I would've gone with that option, but have Apple have come out with their own Fusion hybrid drive which is great but you need to spend £350 over the base model to get it. I dont quite get that decision. Does the Fusion drive require at least a 2.9GHz processor?
post #107 of 190
Quote:

Yes, the options are 3TB HDD, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive or 768GB SSD on the 27" and 1TB Fusion Drive on the 21".
Or did I misunderstand too?

Those are options shown on the current product page. I would hope the options on the final post are broader.
post #108 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Some of you are missing the point. Apple are slowly migrating us all towards a high speed (almost) always on cloud based future, where machines like the iMac will be sexy 'light weight' terminals, and won't require as much power or memory as pure desktop paradigm hardware does. Just as Siri offloads most if not all the work to Apple's servers, so, power apps (including those like Photoshop) will one day also hand over some of their tasks to remote servers making the 'terminal' device more affordable and of course, easier to keep 'active'.
IE, if your iMac fails and you receive a replacement/loaner, you'll simply login to a future version of iCloud and continue where you left off. This is what Google are trying to do with the Chromebook concept, even if on a less ambitious scale.
Apple know YOUR future even if you're not aware of it - yet!
1smile.gif

Oh I've heard of this concept. It is a really good idea that so far isn't working. Google's Chromebook is ahead of Apple in this regard. It's just that right now most people don't want this, at least not at the prices Google must charge for the hardware. Would Apple want to charge us less for iPad devices that connect to the web for all of our work? I don't think so. Companies want to maximize their profit per purchase. They want us to buy more expensive things. A terminal with a keyboard and mouse won't cost much. ISPs could give us those things with our subscriptions instead of just modems. Perhaps competition will create more cloud products forcing Apple to offer less expensive devices for doing work via the internet.

This comment might seem sarcastic but I don't mean it to be. Unless the world really begins to trust off site storage as their main storage location I don't see such a future happening. For that reason alone I expect home computers to continue to get faster and more expensive. Smaller is good but that doesn't make it better.

post #109 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Some of you are missing the point. Apple are slowly migrating us all towards a high speed (almost) always on cloud based future, where machines like the iMac will be sexy 'light weight' terminals, and won't require as much power or memory as pure desktop paradigm hardware does.

This will be great if you live in Finland or Seoul and have ubiquitous and reasonable high-speed internet available before 2020.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Lack of simple serviceability is a real value issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

All of my computers have needed a repair at one point. Parts wear out on machines that are kept more than five years....

One thing that really bugs me is iTunes is still being updated for Windows XP but not for older versions of OS X. We gave Apple our money for our computers. XP owners didn't give Apple diddly squat yet they continue to get updated versions of iTunes.

This thinner is better mantra from the Apple corporation is just crazy.

Agree wholeheartedly with these two comments. Apple products are worth their premium but when you invest in a premium product, it needs to last. You should be able to upgrade the memory and possibly swap drives after a few years, for example. (And your legacy support should equal what is offered to Windows users!)

Sadly, the absence of an optical drive, downgrade of the hard drive rpm and paltry processor boost are deal breakers for me. My willingness to pay a lot more for an Apple is strained when I have to add peripherals to accomplish the same functions that the outgoing model performs. I think a refurbished May 2011 release model is much more useful to me.

Nothing should have been sacrificed for the sake of thinness on the iMac. The first gen all-in-one iMac looks just as thin when you sit down to work on it.  Is the iMac a desktop computer or a laptop on a stick?

post #110 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m View Post

I think a refurbished May 2011 release model is much more useful to me.

Then you should be very happy, as those can be gotten for a pretty nice price, now that the new models have been announced.

post #111 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why do you think they are trying to hid the bulge over just taking the most attractive picture possible. This is not the first time Apple hasn't shown the back of their product in print ad.
You could say Apple is trying to hid the bulge in this image if you wanted to but I think you'd agree that it's just a shot from the front, nothing dubious: http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/design_multitouch.jpg

Bleh it's a weird obsession at Apple. I just don't buy into the idea that thinner should be the highest priority in a stationary form factor. In terms of misleading images, this isn't any worse than some of the comparisons posted on here at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I noticed.  Ergonomics are weird, although I've accidentally put sd cards in the dvd slot when I wasn't looking ;-D

I think the new imac is very attractive, but frankly a step backward in every other way (except performance).

This computer, as one Macrumors user posited, seems geared to a purely consumer/home user demographic, perhaps to segment itself from any future Mac Pro models that come out. 

Well, i have a few imacs at my law office, and these computers are really not viable designs overall.  I don't know where DED, or Apple, gets the statistic that it doesn't save money to have user-accessible parts inside.  I had to swap out a bum hard drive on my 2007 iMac.  That cost me $70 versus a heck of a lot more through apple (who would have only given me a 250GB drive, whereas I got a 1TB drive instead).  I upgraded ram  on a 27" iMac to 12GB for about $50.  I expect apple to charge $150-200 to go from 8 to 16 GB of RAM.

I'm not even going into the need for an external DVD, which, I'm sorry to say Mr. Cook, is the "now" and not the "past," at least if you work in any professional field.  All my discovery comes on CD/DVD.  I can live with an external drive, however, as I can throw it in a drawer when not used, and it will doubtlessly offer better performance than what you've put in my iMacs.

Nice computer, but I think I'd rather get last years model as a refurb.

Performance at the bottom may be slightly lower on things like application launches and things.

Quote:

Everything you said the iMac should have are reasons why you are not the target customer. Of course this is a consumer machine. It's the iMac. It always has been and everything to it always being geared toward the average user who doesn't use CDs and doesn't ever service their 'PC's' HDD, RAM, GPU, etc.

I tend to think that "average user" crowd would go more for the Air or macbook pro. Not everyone has a dedicated space for their machine, especially if it's only on less than a couple hours a day. The 5400 RPM drive seems weird to me. That is one of the biggest sticking points. SSD has become a buzz word in itself, as these people associate it with snappiness whether they understand it or not. I think to really see continued growth, the imac would need to embrace more than the facebook and email crowd. My main point of objection remains the way they prioritize. They decided at some point that it was okay to make compromises in the interest of a thinned out machine, and I'm not talking about the optical drive.

post #112 of 190
Quote:

Those are options shown on the current product page. I would hope the options on the final post are broader.

I don't think those options will change at all.
post #113 of 190
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wish... 1biggrin.gif  No, I am too far invested in DVDs to give up that function. Besides, DVDs can be legally bought, sold and traded. Movie downloads can't.

You aren't watching Blu-ray at this point? You aren't using a separate TV/monitor for this function?

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #114 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Removed the optical drive?

About damn time. 

Only if you don't really use your computer for anything other than surfing the web and downloading things.  There are MANY people that have a need for an optical drive, for MANY reason.  For a desktop computer, this is nonsense.  Apple should at least offer a model that isn't so anti-user designed and then let the sales see which one does better.

I've had my iMac for about 7 years and at some point I might replace it.  The one thing that has ALWAYS annoyed me was all of the ports on the back.  Now, everything is on the back (even card slot) and there is no optical drive.  Having to add one, and having to add port splitters that sit on your desk just to make your computer functional, sort of kills the point of an AIO design.  Unless you have your computer sitting on a desk with no back, or away from the wall, it's a major pain to plug anything in.  And with all of the different peripherals to the computer - iPhone, iPad/Pod, cameras, etc - that's a lot that can be plugged in and out a lot.  Sorry to say, but NOTHING we have is moved through the cloud at this point.  I don't see that changing for a long time, so wires and connectivity are a must in a desktop computer.

Come on Apple, too much form over function in many of your latest designs.  Just like the last version of the iPod - all that thinness and rounding off the edges made it a pain to plug the dock connector in and out.  Any tiny amount of testing on that should have shown that to be the case.  A straight port on an angled surface?  come on!

post #115 of 190
Originally Posted by ericole View Post
There are MANY people that have a need for an optical drive, for MANY reason.

No. Stop the hyperbole.

post #116 of 190
Isn't there Apple software to share a computer's drive with other computers on a network? That feature was introduced with the MacBook Air.

I doubt a typical user needs an optical drive so much that they need one in every computer.
post #117 of 190
Isn't there Apple software to share a computer's drive with other computers on a network? That feature was introduced with the MacBook Air.
I doubt a typical user needs an optical drive so much that they need one in every computer.

Go one step further!

802.11ac AirPort family. The AirPort Extreme gets two USB ports and Time Capsule keeps just one. The Apple SuperDrive can be plugged into either of them and operate as a network ODD for the <1% of people who need it. The second one is for a hard drive for backups, like now. Or, you know a hard drive for NETWORK ATTACHED ITUNES STORA… Sorry, got carried away.

post #118 of 190
Quote:

No special software required, just OSX machines on the same network. I've never used it, but did see my MP ODD on my MacMini. And I fully agree that a typical user doesn't need it anymore, nee in a computer, nee in any computer.

@TS: don't b sorry, I agree, that would be great!
post #119 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple 2 View Post

When I can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for $169 I'm thinking that's not really true.  256GB isn't something to store lots of media on but for a system disk it's more than fine.  I'm running a 128GB SSD on my MBP and storing my media on a RAID.  Those are down to $100 for the Crucial M4.  Those are both solid SSDs with high reliability and solid performance.

/shrug

If the new iMac 21" can be opened and RAM and HDD replaced then I'll buy that.

post #120 of 190
Quote:

No. Stop the hyperbole.

To state the truth is not hyperbole. 

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.  If I'm going to buy a movie or music, it will be on DVD.  I can use that drive to burn the DVD to play on my AppleTV, or to move songs off the CDs.  There are MANY people who have been around a long time that prefer to buy their media on physical discs, vs just downloading them.  Also, we create DVDs for family every year to show them what has been going on, in an entertaining way, with their grandson over the year.  We don't live close to them, so it's a nice way to catch them up. Sometimes we do it multiple times a year.  I believe there are a lot more people who do these kinds of activities than the naysayers would like to believe.

In many ways, removing a physical drive from a desktop makes it just a beefed up iPad on a stand.   I want and expect a little more from my desktop computer.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive