or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits up nearly 25% on sales of 26.9M iPhones, 14M iPads, and 4.9M Macs

Apple profits up nearly 25% on sales of 26.9M iPhones, 14M iPads, and 4.9M Macs

post #1 of 82
Apple said Thursday that fourth quarter profits rose nearly 25% to $8.2 billion, or $8.67 per diluted share, driven by sales of more 26.9 million iPhones, 14 million iPads and nearly 5 million Macs.

The company posted quarterly revenue of $36.0 billion and quarterly net profit of $8.2 billion, or $8.67 per diluted share, for the three-month period ending ended September 29, 2012. These results compare to revenue of $28.3 billion and net profit of $6.6 billion, or $7.05 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.0 percent compared to 40.3 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 60 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

Apple sold 26.9 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 58 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. It also sold 14.0 million iPads, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Mac sales continued to be robust at 4.9 million units, a 1 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Meanwhile, sales of iPods continued their inevitable decline to just 5.3 million units, a 19 percent unit drop from the year-ago quarter.

"We're very proud to end a fantastic fiscal year with record September quarter results," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We're entering this holiday season with the best iPhone, iPad, Mac and iPod products ever, and we remain very confident in our new product pipeline."

Apple?s Board of Directors also declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share for the quarter. The dividend is payable on November 15, 2012, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on November 12, 2012.

"We're pleased to have generated over $41 billion in net income and over $50 billion in operating cash flow in fiscal 2012," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2013, we expect revenue of about $52 billion and diluted earnings per share of about $11.75."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2012 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT on October 25, 2012 at www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq412. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.
post #2 of 82
Great iPhone numbers!
post #3 of 82

Oh look the bears are already out... yawn. http://www.cnbc.com/id/49541938

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #4 of 82
Imagine what the Mac sales would have looked like if they'd not screwed up the Desktop refresh. Expect a nice climb in Mac sales for the next quarter.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 82

This this scary! The next quarter is going to be huuuuuuugee!

post #6 of 82

Stock halted. I wonder how much of a dip it's going to take, when it opens soon again.

Since I got screwed last time, I decided to play it safe, and took all of my chips off the table this time.

I'm ready to move back in at a moment's notice.

post #7 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Imagine what the Mac sales would have looked like if they'd not screwed up the Desktop refresh. Expect a nice climb in Mac sales for the next quarter.

Screwed up?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #8 of 82

To use a quote from someone else on another site, "An iMac is never late; it arrives precisely when it means to!"

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #9 of 82
So CNBC just called the numbers "disappointing" -- after beating all but the outlier-est estimates? Sheesh.
post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Funny how their conservative $52 billion in revenue is a disappointing outlook to the asshat that wrote that article.

post #11 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Screwed up?

Well lets see, 18 month+ refresh time scale despite availability of the new generation CPU's months ago. No availability of the new iMacs and likely no 27" volume sales until December at the earliest etc etc.

Apple screwed up
post #12 of 82

I used to think the real reason Apple hoarded cash was it was the only way to force up the share price.

post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Stock halted. I wonder how much of a dip it's going to take, when it opens soon again.

Since I got screwed last time, I decided to play it safe, and took all of my chips off the table this time.

I'm ready to move back in at a moment's notice.

I actually hope it oversells a little bit by the morning. Makes a GREAT buying opportunity. :) Hedge accordingly.

post #14 of 82
Quote:

Well lets see, 18 month+ refresh time scale despite availability of the new generation CPU's months ago. No availability of the new iMacs and likely no 27" volume sales until December at the earliest etc etc.
Apple screwed up

How many other companies do you know who are reporting a 25% increase in profits this quarter and blowing away the earlier estimates?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How many other companies do you know who are reporting a 25% increase in profits this quarter and blowing away the earlier estimates?

Well, Amazon and Google for two... oh... wait...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #16 of 82
Quote:

Apple screwed up

Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 82
Quote:

Relax.  I think he's just saying that it was a lost opportunity to have an even better quarter

post #18 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

This is not pathetic, this is disturbingly pathologic!

What a jurk who wrote this article!
post #19 of 82
Quote:

My initial comment was regarding what the Mac sales could have been if they'd not dropped the ball on the desktop macs, I did not write off their achievement. The rest of their product line has done fantastically well and it has been an excellent quarter.
post #20 of 82
Analysts are dicks, other companies would love to have those kind of figures.
post #21 of 82
This is so idiotic - analysts who have scant inside information make guesses on profits and revenues. If a company matches these estimates or beat it by a penny, a stock ascends wildly. In this case, Apple is under the top estimates by < 1% and it's considered a disappointment?
post #22 of 82
Quote:

My initial comment was regarding what the Mac sales could have been if they'd not dropped the ball on the desktop macs, I did not write off their achievement. The rest of their product line has done fantastically well and it has been an excellent quarter.

Let's see - Mac sales held steady y/y (best ever September quarter sales), when most PC companies lost sales. They are entering Christmas season with new 13" rMBP, new iMac that is paper thin at the edge and relatively new 15" rMBP. How exactly did they drop the ball? Can you explain a better way of timing their releases?

post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This is so idiotic - analysts who have scant inside information make guesses on profits and revenues. If a company matches these estimates or beat it by a penny, a stock ascends wildly. In this case, Apple is under the top estimates by < 1% and it's considered a disappointment?

Only on Wall Street do you see these numbers and the word "disappointment" in the same sentence.

Meanwhile, over at Amazon... <sound of crickets>

How's that business model of "taking a loss on tablets to ensure future revenue from content sales" going for you,  Jeff...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #24 of 82

14 million iPads. 

And that's actually on the lower end. 

Yeah, these are TABLETS. And Apple is hitting well into the double digits with them every quarter. 

post #25 of 82
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Only on Wall Street do you see these numbers and the word "disappointment" in the same sentence.

Only with Apple on Wall Street do you see these numbers and the word "disappointment" in the same sentence. Anyone else would be heralded as "out of the recession" with such numbers.

But for Apple, who never went into it in the first place… 

post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How's that business model of "taking a loss on tablets to ensure future revenue from content sales" going for you,  Jeff...

Yep, Amazon is so overvalued, it's a joke.

I don't have anything against Amazon, I do order stuff from them sometimes, if they have what I'm looking for at a good price, but their tablet business model is not going to end up well for them IMO.

post #27 of 82

Didn't this idiot KGI Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predict a 70%+ decline in Mac sales from a year ago quarter, gee he did not miss that by much. I wish these guy would stop predicting what they obviously have no clue about. They should fire him, they should fire any analyst who make a prediction that is that far off.

Obviously market again did not like Apple numbers they must have been expecting a lot more.

Edited by Maestro64 - 10/26/12 at 5:53am
post #28 of 82
Quote:

Apple screwed up

What did they screw up? The CPU isn't the only change so you can't say it took them months to figure out how to pop one in?

post #29 of 82
APPL is projecting more revenue for next quarter than GOOG has generated for the last 4 quarters combined.

post #30 of 82
Apple beats their best record by 25% and completely decimates everyone else in the industry, yet this 'misses' wallstreet and is 'disappointing' to these douchebag leaches because it doesnt match up with numbers they randomly pulled out of their asses. Amazing.

PS- Dissapointment was due to only '17 million' iPads sold. WTF? How the **** is that not a mind-blowing number for a non holiday season? What other tablet is getting sales even in the same universe?
post #31 of 82

Apple:       121 Billion in Cash. lol.gif

post #32 of 82

Gee, 14 million iPads in 90 days. That's like two per second, 24/7. What production!!

And that only about half of what Apple's selling of the iPhone! 

post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple:       121 Billion in Cash. lol.gif

That is what the Market is pissed about, they do not want Apple hanging onto all that money, Apple has so much money the interest alone pays their R&D budget each year. 

post #34 of 82

post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple beats their best record by 25% and completely decimates everyone else in the industry, yet this 'misses' wallstreet and is 'disappointing' to these douchebag leaches because it doesnt match up with numbers they randomly pulled out of their asses. Amazing.
PS- Dissapointment was due to only '17 million' iPads sold. WTF? How the **** is that not a mind-blowing number for a non holiday season? What other tablet is getting sales even in the same universe?

Typical wall street rewards crap companies for doing exactly as they want and they hold back a company like Apple who ignores them and just keep adding tons of cash to be the bottom line.

They had to halt trading because of such bad results, imagine that, just idiots 

post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

yep that sums it up that is for sure

post #37 of 82
Peter Oppenheimer asked about the pricing of iPad mini and says the mini margins are significantly lower than the rest of their product line. Why is that? Wasn't the thought that they priced it at $329 to keep their higher margins?
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nugent View Post

So CNBC just called the numbers "disappointing" -- after beating all but the outlier-est estimates? Sheesh.

No, it was only because they missed Zaky's numbers... 1wink.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Peter Oppenheimer asked about the pricing of iPad mini and says the mini margins are significantly lower than the rest of their product line. Why is that? Wasn't the thought that they priced it at $329 to keep their higher margins?

Goes to show how pundits are often wrong. There are two things that might be cheaper on the iPad Mini than on the iPad - the display and the case. Otherwise, the internals are highly similar. In facg, 1024 x 768 at 7.9" may well be more expensive than 1024 x 768 at 9.7". The difference in cost of the aluminum back is tiny. Therefore, the cost of making iPad Mini may be in fact the same as or higher than iPad 2. But they are forced to sell it at a lower price due to expectations that a smaller tablet should be cheaper.

post #40 of 82
Cook just said Apple will NEVER make a a 7" device. He called 7" devices a "compromised product".
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits up nearly 25% on sales of 26.9M iPhones, 14M iPads, and 4.9M Macs