or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery - Page 2

post #41 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

... I'm going to use mine primarily as a GPS in my cars ...

 

In a lot of places (most actually), it's illegal to mount a screen on your dashboard, and by "screen" they mean TV set or computer.  The reason being that it's incredibly dangerous of course.  

 

I know a GPS that you buy is technically the same thing as what you are planning, but you can't watch movies on that or get email.  If a cop sees you driving down the street with anything other than the map showing you might be in for a big ticket and an order to remove it.  

 

post #42 of 82

My 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S were all black.

When I saw the 5 in the Apple Store, I had to have it in white -- and absolutely no regrets.

 

Ordered the mini in white as well. That white / silver motif is pretty slick.
 

post #43 of 82

I must have got lucky.  Got in through the app around 2:02AM CST, got the order confirmation e-mail from Apple with a 2:04AM CST time stamp, delivery of 11/2 (black/16/wifi).

post #44 of 82

Wow, I am shocked! lol.gif

 

Ok, not really, but judging by all of the comments by the geniuses whining over the price, I'm amazed that Apple was able to sell any at all.1oyvey.gif

 

It's really simple. People want quality devices and they're prepared to pay for it. Apple is not in the business of making disposable, cheap garbage. If cheap garbage is what floats your boat and fits your budget, then good for you, but then you are on the wrong forum.

post #45 of 82

Ordered my mini shortly after 3:00 AM EDT,  16 Black WiFi.  Was undecided about using apple.com store on the desktop or Apple app store on the Ipad.  Had both ready to go at 2:45 AM and waited for the store to reopen.  Refreshed the apple.com and waited on app.   At  3:02 AM the Ipad apps store opened and I used that route.  Order completed in less than a minute ending with the order confirmation number.  Confirming e-mail sent time dated 3:05 AM.   Went back and refreshed the apple.com and it was still closed.  I refreshed the page and it opened a couple of minutes later.  I will definitely use the Apple apps route on the next preorder with new product senario, it was great and easy.  Really helps to have apple account info etc up to date before show time. 

post #46 of 82

Cant wait to see them, they will be in store nov 2 right?

 

From an investor stand-point, I am glad to see the 32g and 64g are sold out too, those have good margins. If a lot of people buy a 64g mini instead of a 16g ipad4, this will actually improved Apple margins on the ipad line.


Edited by herbapou - 10/26/12 at 12:27pm
post #47 of 82
I've always bought my Apple products in-store. This is the first time I've pre-ordered, and I'm wondering about something: do they charge your account when you place the order, or when it ships?
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Apple View Post

Ordered my mini shortly after 3:00 AM EDT,  16 Black WiFi.  Was undecided about using apple.com store on the desktop or Apple app store on the Ipad.  Had both ready to go at 2:45 AM and waited for the store to reopen.  Refreshed the apple.com and waited on app.   At  3:02 AM the Ipad apps store opened and I used that route.  Order completed in less than a minute ending with the order confirmation number.  Confirming e-mail sent time dated 3:05 AM.   Went back and refreshed the apple.com and it was still closed.  I refreshed the page and it opened a couple of minutes later.  I will definitely use the Apple apps route on the next preorder with new product senario, it was great and easy.  Really helps to have apple account info etc up to date before show time. 

 

I had a similar experience.  I just wish Apple would be honest about what they are doing when it comes to stuff like this though.  I had to stay up so late to order and I won't be getting it now until at least a week after it arrives in the stores.  

 

They should just be upfront and say that "Oh, BTW if you don't live in the USA your chances of getting one on Nov 2nd are essentially zero."

Then I wouldn't have had to stay up all night on a false promise and I could just buy one in the local store when they show up.  

post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I've always bought my Apple products in-store. This is the first time I've pre-ordered, and I'm wondering about something: do they charge your account when you place the order, or when it ships?

I've ordered from Apple in the past, but I don't recall if they charge right away or when it ships.

 

But, can't you just log into your bank account and you'd know the answer in about 2 seconds?

post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I ordered 4 minutes after midnight (the website came up at 12:03), and all I got was a "your order is being processed email."  Still no follow up email with a date. 

 

Apple f*cking over everyone who isn't American again no doubt. 

I am American, I just live in Canada.  =)

post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153784/white-silver-ipad-mini-sells-out-of-launch-day-delivery/40#post_2220469"]I've ordered from Apple in the past, but I don't recall if they charge right away or when it ships.

But, can't you just log into your bank account and you'd know the answer in about 2 seconds?

Charges haven't shown up yet, but that doesn't mean anything. It's not uncommon for friday charges to not show up until monday.
post #52 of 82

Is anyone else surprised that the Black isn't sold out yet?  It was barely a couple hours before the iPhones- both colors were sold out- and I assume those can be manufactured quicker? (although maybe not).

 

Also- I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new iPad this spring that mimics the other iOS devices... the design of the iPhone 5, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini are freakin gorgeous- makes the iPad look antiquated (much like the new iMac makes the absolutely stunning 2011 iMac antiquated).

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #53 of 82
Wonder if any of these minis will come out the box with scuffs like the iphone5. Also the back of the black one is the same color/coating as iPhone 5 too which a few ppl reported it being prone to scratching. Think ill go for white 32gb cellular! The industrial design is amazing
post #54 of 82
Ordered my white mini at 0201 CT through ios and was back in bed by 0202.

Not sure what the deal is w/ black vs white. I wonder if they sold as fast as expected given black is still available more than 12 hours after launch.
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

It always used to be that they only sold one white product for every three black (when it was iPods), but lately I think white is pulling ahead.  Judging by what I see at work and around town I would say it's almost the reverse now.  White certainly seems the most popular colour for iPhone 4s. 

 

Also, "scratch-gate" might have something to do with it. 

 

Can't say that matches my observations. I see predominantly black iPhones, be it of 4S or 5.

 

Furthermore, iPad Mini is not made the same way as iPhone 5. But I get that few customers (or bloggers or analysts) understand these issues.

 

Regardless, I am thankful 'cause I just ordered a black unit and it will be arriving earlier than white ones.

post #56 of 82
Sigh...
Me wants the Mini but Me wants it cheap :-(
Reply
Me wants the Mini but Me wants it cheap :-(
Reply
post #57 of 82

I ordered one and it went smoothly, then a couple hours later I tried to order another but the store was broken in Safari. It would not let me select any model. I could order other stuff like a lightning adapter just not the mini. I switched over to chrome and I was able to complete the second order. I hope that was some issue with my machine and not widespread problem but I can't really explain it since the same machine was used in the first transaction and was not turned off, Safari not restarted or modified in any way before the second attempt.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 82

So the black still hasn't sold out for early delivery. What about the iPad 4?

 

Maybe we are starting to reach tablet saturation and demand peak?

post #59 of 82

Really tempted to pre-order the 64 GB in white but I want a hands-on with it first.  Another thing is I have a 3rd gen 16 GB iPad already and since they decided to out-date that so quickly, its resale price has gone down, making it probably not worth selling which makes it harder to justify another $600 worth of iPad (both came to roughly that price with the leather smart cover and the smart case + tax).

everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
Reply
everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
Reply
post #60 of 82
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post
Maybe we are starting to reach tablet saturation and demand peak?

 

We're about ten years from that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #61 of 82
The White definitely looks a bit different in the iPad Mini renders than in the iPad and iPhone renders. And apparently, Apple had fewer stock of the white one. Well, one thing that's clear is that people aren't really bothered about the $329 price-tag.
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post

The White definitely looks a bit different in the iPad Mini renders than in the iPad and iPhone renders. And apparently, Apple had fewer stock of the white one. Well, one thing that's clear is that people aren't really bothered about the $329 price-tag.

We're at 30+ hours from a totally new product from apple and its not sold out (black). Don't remember the last time I saw that. Maybe $329 wasn't the best price (we'll know if we see tons on the shelves after launch). Reserve opinions until then.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

We're about ten years from that.

 

So is it just an uninspiring product? Because like Andysol above, I can't remember the last time Apple introduced a  new product that didn't sell out on the first day or two.

 

It is hard to judge for other people, but I don't own a tablet yet and I think I might get the Mini. To me it looks like it should be a home run. A slightly improved iPad 2 is a much handier, lightweight package for a much more affordable price.

post #64 of 82
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post
So is it just an uninspiring product?

 

See, I'm the wrong person to ask that. lol.gif

 

Now the real iPad? Ten years from saturation. Sooner once they release the larger portable models. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, I'm the wrong person to ask that. lol.gif

 

 

Inside joke?

 

Quote:

 

Now the real iPad? Ten years from saturation. Sooner once they release the larger portable models.

 

http://www.marketingcharts.com/wp/topics/demographics/almost-half-of-us-adults-in-75k-households-own-tablets-23898/

 

Nearly half of US households with income >$75K have a tablet.

 

I don't see 10 years till saturation. Saturation doesn't require 100%. If half the market has tablets already (in less than 3 years), the slowdown could start anytime now. The non sellout of the Mini, might be a sign that things are changing.

post #66 of 82
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post
Inside joke?

 

No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.

 

Nearly half of US households with income >$75K have a tablet.

 

If half the market…

 

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.

 

 

 

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 


Now you sound like Tim Cook ;)

post #68 of 82

Just received notice that my iPad Mini's SmartCover is being shipped. A shame that they ship the cover separately from the iPad Mini itself. Apple is not the only computer company that does this. But it sure got me excited over nothing when I received text notification that my "order" was en route, and it turned out to be the cover only.

post #69 of 82
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Now you sound like Tim Cook ;)

For the first part or the second? 😛

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Wonder if any of these minis will come out the box with scuffs like the iphone5. Also the back of the black one is the same color/coating as iPhone 5 too which a few ppl reported it being prone to scratching. Think ill go for white 32gb cellular! The industrial design is amazing


Once again, please try and understand how anodizing works before making silly comments. Are there lots of complaints out there about iPad scratches?

post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For the first part or the second? 😛


The part about everyone being the market. It reminded me of him saying at one point that Apple will not leave out any market.

post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.

 

 

 

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 

 

1) What do you think should have been done?

2) exactly how are the homeless going to afford iPads?

post #73 of 82
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
The part about everyone being the market. It reminded me of him saying at one point that Apple will not leave out any market.

 

Well, if you believe the old-set Mac Pro demographic, they'll be killed off.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

We're at 30+ hours from a totally new product from apple and its not sold out (black). Don't remember the last time I saw that. Maybe $329 wasn't the best price (we'll know if we see tons on the shelves after launch). Reserve opinions until then.

I can't wat for your opinion on this.

Do you know how many black models they had before launch? No? I think you are maybe trying to wring too much drama out of the iPad mini launch, for some reason.
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I can't wat for your opinion on this.
Do you know how many black models they had before launch? No? I think you are maybe trying to wring too much drama out of the iPad mini launch, for some reason.

Only Apple knows how many they made- But it is the same assembly lines that are creating brand new full sized iPads, iPod touches, and a brand new iPhone that is only a month removed from launch- so if anything, it would be substantially less in quantity than the iPhone 5 was- which sold out in an hour- and I would also assume less than the original iPad (when there wasnt another iPad or a month old iPhone)- which also sold out near-instantaneously.

Those are assumptions, sure- but educated ones.
I think the mini will sell ok, but one can't help but wonder if it was priced at $299, if it would've sold out in minutes or hours.

We'll never know. What I do know is that I haven't seen a brand new apple product (including almost all iOS refreshes) not sell out instantly in a long, long time.
Edited by Andysol - 10/27/12 at 1:21pm

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post


Charges haven't shown up yet, but that doesn't mean anything. It's not uncommon for friday charges to not show up until monday.

The bill goes to your account when your purchase has completed the packaging process, and is ready to loaded onto the plane. If you check the tracking web page, the first entry is the first 'shipping point', and is roughly the point at which you are billed. Your account should show an entry within several hours of the tracking entry but the same day. At which point Apple can log the item as "sold".

 

Cheers

post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Can't say that matches my observations. I see predominantly black iPhones, be it of 4S or 5.

Furthermore, iPad Mini is not made the same way as iPhone 5. But I get that few customers (or bloggers or analysts) understand these issues.

Regardless, I am thankful 'cause I just ordered a black unit and it will be arriving earlier than white ones.
I see mostly black iPhone 5. I know most of those people oooh and ahhh at my white iPhone 5 and tell me thy wish they had gotten that one instead. Thats why when mini came around everyone went for the white first.
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmetaphors View Post

Really tempted to pre-order the 64 GB in white but I want a hands-on with it first. 

 

Haven't had time to stop the local store...do they have the mini's on display yet?

post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Haven't had time to stop the local store...do they have the mini's on display yet?

Not until 11/2
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 82

All iPad mini models are sold out!

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini

 

All of them are on back order. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery