or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First look at Apple's new Palo Alto retail store

First look at Apple's new Palo Alto retail store

post #1 of 59
Apple on Saturday opened the doors to its brand new store in Palo Alto, Calif., located just a few miles from the company's corporate headquarters.

Palo Alto

The new Apple Store on 340 University Drive in Palo Alto drew a large crowd for its grand reopening Saturday at 10 a.m. local time. The new location has replaced the old store which was located just down the street.

The new store has about 15,000 square feet of retail space and an all-glass front that is a trademark feature of Apple's retail locations. AppleInsider readers Ben and Gavin were onhand for Saturday's festivities, and Gavin described the location as "massive."

Palo Alto

The original Apple Store in Palo Alto was noteworthy because it was the local store of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. Jobs himself would sometimes appear at the store for product launches, including the debut of the first iPad in 2010.

Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ben for the included photos.

Palo Alto

Palo Alto
post #2 of 59
If these photos belong to "Ben and Gavin" their proper names should be on the copyright notice, not AppleInsider.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 59
Steve would never . . . have let that ugly glass seam run right through the apple logo.
Maybe.
post #4 of 59
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Steve would never . . . have let that ugly glass seam run right through the apple logo.

Did at the 5th Avenue store. And you can tell these images were taken with an iPhone.

… they're solid walls of purple.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #5 of 59
Quote:

Maybe.

Well, it only "appears" to, they aren't on the same panel.

But I agree it would look better if it didn't "appear" that way.

post #6 of 59
Quote:

Maybe.

I think you're right. He would've made them turn those two front glass panels into one huge, heavy glass panel.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 59
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post
I wonder what the air conditioning design is like with the sun beating down in the middle of summer.

Imagine how loud it will be when it rains.

post #8 of 59
Is this one of the new "designs"? If so, what's different about the internal setup of the store? IOW, what changes can we expect with their other retail outlets?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 59
In other news, Microsoft will build a new store in Palo Alto closer to the new Apple Store, with similar signage, materials, and architecture.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 59
Has Apple started building their new spaceship campus? And when is it supposed to be completed?
post #11 of 59

Nice. But I do wonder sometimes if they've completely forgotten they're in a highly active seismic zone, or maybe just in denial? As nice as it is, it's one place I wouldn't want to be when a good sized earthquake hits… I wonder, what magnitude will it have to be before it starts raining glass in there?

Nevertheless, a very interesting design. They seem to be evolving it in small, incremental steps, keeping it attractive and functional… seems like a good balance of customers to staff as well. Maybe the rumors about "staff thinning" were a bit overblown?

Is this a 'prototype' for future stores?

post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is this one of the new "designs"? If so, what's different about the internal setup of the store? IOW, what changes can we expect with their other retail outlets?

Is it supposed to be any different? Just judging by the pictures, it looks like any other Apple store.

I also saw a few pictures from Microsoft's temporary store in Times Square for their tablet launch, and it really is pathetic how everybody is trying so hard to be Apple now.
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Nice. But I do wonder sometimes if they've completely forgotten they're in a highly active seismic zone, or maybe just in denial? As nice as it is, it's one place I wouldn't want to be when a good sized earthquake hits… I wonder, what magnitude will it have to be before it starts raining glass in there?

Nevertheless, a very interesting design. They seem to be evolving it in small, incremental steps, keeping it attractive and functional… seems like a good balance of customers to staff as well. Maybe the rumors about "staff thinning" were a bit overblown?

Is this a 'prototype' for future stores?

I presume there are buildings codes that must be adhered to, and these hopefully take earthquakes into account?

I'd be interested to know how all that light coming in through the ceiling affects the viewing experience of the screens? Is there a lot of glare or direct sunlight?

post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153818/first-look-at-apples-new-palo-alto-retail-store#post_2221043"]
Is it supposed to be any different? Just judging by the pictures, it looks like any other Apple store.

I don't know if it's suppose to be but over the past year or so we've heard about a new style store coming.

post #15 of 59
Guess they're are really running with that NYC UWS store design.
post #16 of 59
I'll miss the old store. It was, ironically, located in the old Swain's House of Music... hence the mosaic lyre in front of the entrance.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did at the 5th Avenue store. And you can tell these images were taken with an iPhone.

… they're solid walls of purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Imagine how loud it will be when it rains.

Does that mean in the summer, the store ceiling is beat with Purple Rain?

post #18 of 59
All I can think of, is how hot its gonna get in there at noon, with that glass roof.
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinTek View Post

I'll miss the old store. It was, ironically, located in the old Swain's House of Music... hence the mosaic lyre in front of the entrance.

Wow:

http://archives.pahistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/PAHA&CISOPTR=1352&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

And before the line waiters and Greenpeacers:

http://archives.pahistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/PAHA&CISOPTR=32&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The original Apple Store in Palo Alto was noteworthy because it was the local store of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. Jobs himself would sometimes appear at the store for product launches, including the debut of the first iPad in 2010.

Link to the post in 2010 is dead. (even after removing the extra code at the end of the URL)

post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmiracle View Post

Link to the post in 2010 is dead. (even after removing the extra code at the end of the URL)

Here you go: http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/05/steve_jobs_appears_at_palo_alto_apple_store_for_ipad_launch

post #22 of 59
So, Palo Alto has a population of 64,000 and Stanford University, Palo Alto has a population of 20,000, yet we have 2 stores in Palo Alto. While Southern Ireland has a population of 4.5 million, and we have zero Apple Stores?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So, Palo Alto has a population of 64,000 and Stanford University, Palo Alto has a population of 20,000, yet we have 2 stores in Palo Alto. While Southern Ireland has a population of 4.5 million, and we have zero Apple Stores?

If that's how you want to play it then you have a long time to wait because India has a population of 1.2 billion, or 269 Irelands. In fact, you're pretty much half down the list on the populations of countries which puts more than 100 countries between you and an Apple Store.

post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Has Apple started building their new spaceship campus? And when is it supposed to be completed?

Later this year and finish by 2015 for moving in date, see link http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/apple-campus-floorplans/

post #25 of 59
Quote:

Solipsism X used India, but taking Singapore with 5,183,700, you do not see an Apple store and U can bet, that country sells more Apple products than Ireland.

post #26 of 59
Quote:

here in portugal we have more than 10million without a single Apple Store... Samsung runs the show in these poor european countries.

post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Solipsism X used India, but taking Singapore with 5,183,700, you do not see an Apple store and U can bet, that country sells more Apple products than Ireland.

It's also a denser population and I believe the GDP per capita about 50% higher, but I don't know how I seem to remember that or even if it's accurate today.

post #28 of 59
Quote:

It's also a denser population and I believe the GDP per capita about 50% higher, but I don't know how I seem to remember that or even if it's accurate today.

Yup. They don't drop stores in places where there are a lot of people; they drop stores in places where there are a lot of rich people.

post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also saw a few pictures from Microsoft's temporary store in Times Square for their tablet launch, and it really is pathetic how everybody is trying so hard to be Apple now.

Temporary??

So when folk want to return their Surface tablets, the store has just ... vanished??

post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Yup. They don't drop stores in places where there are a lot of people; they drop stores in places where there are a lot of rich people.

So we can expect Apple to open a Gangnam Store? 1biggrin.gif

post #31 of 59
Quote:

Temporary??

So when folk want to return their Surface tablets, the store has just ... vanished??

Microsoft is BrigaDOOMed!*

* Was this comment too esoteric? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigadoon

post #32 of 59

That's a good way to get retention. 

Windows 8 launches… one week later, all Microsoft Stores disappear from all malls across the country. No mention of them in even the oldest directory map. And thanks to a single line in the warranty of the Surface whereby it may only be returned to a physical Microsoft Store, they can report the grand success of their tablet sales. 

At least until the class action comes in.

post #33 of 59
Quote:

Temporary??

All sales are final.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

All sales are final.

I'm pretty sure they have a 14 day return policy, at least in the US. Not sure about a restocking fee.

post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think you're right. He would've made them turn those two front glass panels into one huge, heavy glass panel.

Yup, like Chicago’s store:

post #36 of 59

We should file a rdar:// bug on this building.

post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinTek View Post

This is a perfect location for a Microsoft store, as are the other store locations abandoned by Apple. 

Cubist
Cubist
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

This is a perfect location for a Microsoft store, as are the other store locations abandoned by Apple. 

MS should just buy all the old locations no longer used by Blockbuster or Borders¡

post #39 of 59
Quote:

MS should just buy all the old locations no longer used by Blockbuster or Borders¡

Apple took the Borders location in Santa Monica California.

Cubist
Cubist
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Apple took the Borders location in Santa Monica California.

LOL I didn't know that. Isn't that rather big for an Apple Store?

Must be for all those Apple HDTVs that are coming¡

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First look at Apple's new Palo Alto retail store