or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours

Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours

post #1 of 131
After just 35 hours of preorder availability, Apple's online store on Saturday showed stock outs of the 16GB Wi-Fi only black and slate iPad mini, with the entry-level tablet joining all white and silver models which quickly sold out on launch day.

The Online Apple Store is now reflecting a two week delivery time for the smallest capacity black iPad mini, meaning the company has run through its initial supply as demand for the mid-size tablet continues.

iPad mini Supply

When the device was announced on Tuesday, some speculated that the mini's relatively high price tag would dissuade consumers from purchasing the premium tablet, especially given similarly sized products from competitors like Amazon and Google are priced far below Apple's $329 cost of entry. However, when iPad mini preorders went live on Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, it took mere minutes for all capacities of the white Wi-Fi only model to sell out.

It remains to be seen how the Wi-Fi + Cellular models have faired as those versions are set to ship in mid-November.

According to Apple design chief Jony Ive, the iPad mini condenses the features of a full-size iPad into small form factor, featuring a 7.9-inch display and thin 7.2-millimeter chassis that weighs only 0.68 pounds.
post #2 of 131
This is very interesting indeed since we haven't seen that with a new product from Apple in a long time.

I wonder if the same people that claim that Apple is holding back on production to generate hype (instead of a sale) and claim that Apple is big enough that it should have enough units available for every man, woman and child as soon as they go on sale regardless of the number of units being sold are going to be the same people that will inevitably be stating that Apple has lost its mojo, that the iPad mini is a flop, and that people simply don't want a hobbled, overpriced iPad when the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire are so much better.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 131
They must've read my post in the other thread. Lol.

Gotta be honest- 35 hrs was surprisingly longer than I thought it would be- and the longest we've seen in a long long time for a new product.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 131

It's only two possible reasons:

Reason 1 - The android fanboys / basement dwellers will state that it sold-out because the millions upon millions of iSheep that like shiny new toys keeps the company going.

Reason 2 - The previously-mentioned fanboys will fabricate yet another statistic saying that having an Apple product taking 35 hours to sell out of any product implies that... wait for it... "Apple is doomed".

post #5 of 131

How does that compare to the average length of time it takes to sell your iPad 1 on eBay and/or find a friend of relative to give/sell the aging device to so you can reduce the cost of the new device?

post #6 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Gotta be honest- 35 hrs was surprisingly longer than I thought it would be- and the longest we've seen in a long long time for a new product.

Perhaps people got spooked by reports of scratches gouging right through the anodised layer? Although for myself I think the white/silver version looks nicer (also, I have a white iPhone 4 1wink.gif) and would be prepared to wait for it to come back in stock. Roll on 2 November so I can go to the Apple Store and compare the iPad Minis and iPad 4-s 1smoking.gif
Edited by AlexN - 10/27/12 at 6:28pm
post #7 of 131
Here in Australia, the Black/Slate 16GB Wi-Fi model is still showing that it'll be delivered on 2 November.

The only models "sold out" are the White/Silver 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi.
post #8 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootman View Post

Here in Australia, the Black/Slate 16GB Wi-Fi model is still showing that it'll be delivered on 2 November.

The only models "sold out" are the White/Silver 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi.

Does the LTE function support Oz in the new devices?
post #9 of 131

I suspect there are some who are waiting to hear on Monday, of any additional pricing cuts for the Nexus 7

Or more likely, many are wanting to see an iPad mini in person before dropping $329. That would be me.

Edit: Google Announcement: "We are canceling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know more"

post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

Yes, it does.

post #11 of 131
Quote:

Perhaps people got spooked by reports of scratches gouging right through the anodised layer? Although for myself I think the white/silver version looks nicer (also, I have a white iPhone 4 1wink.gif) and would be prepared to wait for it to come back in stock. Roll on 2 November so I can go to the Apple Store and compare the iPad Minis and iPad 4-s 1smoking.gif

From the pics, it looks like it will appear exactly like the 5 from the front (beveled aluminum edging). The white is gorgeous- I get jealous from my wife's pretty often. Interestingly enough- she gets jealous from my black. This black is way better this time around- like a stealth phone- even the buttons are black. It's gorgeous. The mini design Makes the big iPad look antiquated.

The mini is a thing of beauty- ill wait patiently (ok- impatiently) for retina and an A6. Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.
I'm hoping this spring..... Hoping.

post #12 of 131

I ordered the 64GB black slate LTE model, ill carry it around instead of my 3rd Gen iPad (64GB 4G White).
an iPad for home & one to carry everywhere, i'm i lame for doing that? :p

post #13 of 131
Quote:

It definitely crossed my mind. I would prefer if the black had a silver back as well. Black everywhere just makes is invisible and boring. I like the white better, and I usually hate white devices.

post #14 of 131
A whole 35 hours?

Apple is doomed.

;-)
post #15 of 131
Quote:

Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.

That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.lol.gif

post #16 of 131

These iPad Minis sure do look nice though, both the white and the black one.

post #17 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221093"]That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.lol.gif

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #18 of 131

not sure why we keep caring that something sells out at the apple store - everything ends up having a wait time now - at the end of the quarter it never meets the hype.

it is obvious by now that Apple simply does not make enough of them at launch.

post #19 of 131
Quote:
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221094"]These iPad Minis sure do look nice though, both the white and the black one.

They sure are cute lol.
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

not sure why we keep caring that something sells out at the apple store - everything ends up having a wait time now - at the end of the quarter it never meets the hype.

To boast and brag, why else?
post #21 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.

An iPad Mini Retina wouldn't be much different than the full sized one, IMO, only a lot smaller, which presents a lot of problems, IMO.

How are they going to stuff a huge and powerful battery in there? Is the iPad Mini retina going to be way fatter than the current one? That kind of defeats the purpose. It'll also be much heavier, which is also a big negative. The GPU will also have to be bumped up, in order to drive all of those crazy pixels.

Unless Apple totally changes the display technology and goes to something more efficient like the rumored IGZO, and battery tech takes a radical leap, I think that Apple is going to have to make many compromises to make a Retina iPad Mini.

And people were complaining about the iPad 3 getting hot? How would it be with the iPad Mini Retina? I could be wrong of course, these are just my thoughts, but I am skeptical.

post #22 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They sure are cute lol.

They certainly are, and I'm probably not the only one who thinks that.lol.gif

post #23 of 131
Quote:

I believe the reason it took this long is because most people don't know about it. When an iPhone get released everyone I know knows about it. Even those who don't own iPhones. Most people I know didn't know about the iPad mini. As far as I know, Apple didn't even air the TV ad yet.

post #24 of 131
Quote:

Well the 4s sales did blow out expectations out of the water in Q1 2012. I dont remember ipad 3 sales, but I think they were good.
Edited by herbapou - 10/27/12 at 8:31pm
post #25 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I believe the reason it took this long is because most people don't know about it. When an iPhone get released everyone I know knows about it. Even those who don't own iPhones. Most people I know didn't know about the iPad mini. As far as I know, Apple didn't even air the TV ad yet.

Yep, some droidfans will say Apple only sold the minis on the first week-end because of there great marketing skills. Well It looks like Apple is now a master at marketing because it can sell out wihtout doing a single TV ad.
post #26 of 131

A really smart guy once told me if you have an invention that you want to sell, just take out an ad for a few bucks and only if you get enough requests should you actually manufacture the product. No sense in building a bunch of them before you know what the public acceptance will be.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is a good point. There were a few months between the intro of iPhone and the actual release, allowing the public at large to learn about this. Jobs was also doing a press tour. For the iPad, there was a two-month period of similar buildup. This time, there was barely a few days of lag and no magazine cover. At the same time, it is not a truly new product either. All in all, selling out in 35 hrs is impressive.

BTW, the white one has sold out at ALL flash capacities. Impressive!

post #28 of 131
Quote:

Simply lame dude. 

Maybe your company will build a new product for very man, woman and child on the planet when it goes on sale.

post #29 of 131
Quote:

The mini is a thing of beauty- ill wait patiently (ok- impatiently) for retina and an A6. Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.
I am not sure there will be a retina version for a long time. I also think we need to see the mini in real life before declaring the screen inferior. I suspect it will be just fine.
Wonder how long before I can stroll into the Apple store and pick up a 32 gbs in white?
post #30 of 131

btw in Canada the Black 32g & 64g shows "delivers 11/2 - 11/6"

post #31 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not sure there will be a retina version for a long time. I also think we need to see the mini in real life before declaring the screen inferior. I suspect it will be just fine.

Even without seeing one yet, I know that the screen is just fine.

I had the iPad 2, and I was happy with that, until the iPad 3 came along of course.

The iPad Mini will look even sharper than the iPad 2, so we do kind of know how it's going to look already. I've also read some comments from people who have held the Mini in their hands and tried it, I believe it was the Verge who wrote that the display looked very sharp.

post #32 of 131
I don't buy this, Apple most likely built more of the black units right from the start. Success will be determined by the actual number of units sold over the weekend. If they sold out of both the black and the white then in all likely hood Apple sold several hundred thousand, maybe into the millions.

Quote:

post #33 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootman View Post

Quote:

Yes, it does.

Thanks for that 1biggrin.gif. Cool! Excellent! Fantastic, even 1smile.gif.
Edited by AlexN - 10/27/12 at 9:32pm
post #34 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A really smart guy once told me if you have an invention that you want to sell, just take out an ad for a few bucks and only if you get enough requests should you actually manufacture the product. No sense in building a bunch of them before you know what the public acceptance will be.
I called this a major success when the first rumour surfaced. The idea did the rounds and plenty people here explained , no, PROVED, why the iPad mini was a bad idea and would never happen. I suspect once Apple achieved the weight and dimensions they were after they knew they had a top seller on their hands. I suspect there are significant production hurdles to bring the mini to market in such huge numbers. Apple really should apply their technical skills to achieve fully automated manufacturing of iOS devices. Until that has been perfected there will always be supply issues.
post #35 of 131
Quote:
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221118"]Even without seeing one yet, I know that the screen is just fine.

I had the iPad 2, and I was happy with that, until the iPad 3 came along of course.

The iPad Mini will look even sharper than the iPad 2, so we do kind of know how it's going to look already. I've also read some comments from people who have held the Mini in their hands and tried it, I believe it was the Verge who wrote that the display looked very sharp.
Exactly. I use a v1 iPad daily and even though it falls far short of the v3 the screen is never a problem. In fact, it is stil a remarkably useable device, the main drawback being its weight.
post #36 of 131
Quote:

It won't be that surprising if we find out they had like 20 million units available for preorder

And we haven't had a new product in a while, just new versus of old stuff

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #37 of 131
Quote:

And yet you care enough to bother to talk about how much you don't care.

And while it is obvious they didn't make enough, how many did they make. Was it millions or a measly 5K like the sold out Slate. That detail is key.

Not that you care since your posts show your clear disdain for Apple, which you feel makes nothing but shite.

post #38 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even without seeing one yet, I know that the screen is just fine.

Then again, the Verge said it had a very similar screen to the iPhone 3g and I have one of those. And I can tell you, it's not very sharp. 

Strange as I find the iPad 2 sharper than the iPhone 3g and you would think the other way around given the differences in screen size.

post #39 of 131
I think it's interesting there is like zero chatter on the 4th gen ad . I think the mini looks great for something small and light . And just the other weekend I saw a pair of people using smaller tablets at breakfast . They do seem a lot more convenient to carry around . But I like my 3rd gen iPad . I like all the screen real estate and retina is a plus .
post #40 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Then again, the Verge said it had a very similar screen to the iPhone 3g and I have one of those. And I can tell you, it's not very sharp. 

Strange as I find the iPad 2 sharper than the iPhone 3g and you would think the other way around given the differences in screen size.

I've never had an iPhone 3g, so I can't really comment on that, but I do know that the display tech in the iPad Mini is far more advanced, so I'm not sure why the Verge mentioned anything about any ancient iPhone.

The iPad Mini uses in-cell technology, and the pixels will appear to be glued on to the screen, almost popping out at you, like on the iPhone 5 I believe. I'm also pretty sure that it's much brighter, has better contrast and much more accurate color levels than any old iPhone display. And also the iPhone 3g was not an IPS display. I have no idea why they would even mention the 3g.

I look forward to holding an iPad Mini in my own hands, and trying it out for myself, but I have a feeling that I'll be happy with the display. It's obviously not going to be sharper than the iPad 3 Retina display which I use everyday, but I believe that the iPad Mini will have a pretty decent display.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours