or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours

Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours - Page 4

post #121 of 131

Sometimes a thread just resolves itself, saving the trouble of adding much.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The mini is a thing of beauty- ill wait patiently (ok- impatiently) for retina and an A6. Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.
I'm hoping this spring..... Hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How are they going to stuff a huge and powerful battery in there? Is the iPad Mini retina going to be way fatter than the current one? That kind of defeats the purpose. It'll also be much heavier, which is also a big negative. The GPU will also have to be bumped up, in order to drive all of those crazy pixels.

Unless Apple totally changes the display technology and goes to something more efficient like the rumored IGZO, and battery tech takes a radical leap, I think that Apple is going to have to make many compromises to make a Retina iPad Mini.

And people were complaining about the iPad 3 getting hot? How would it be with the iPad Mini Retina? I could be wrong of course, these are just my thoughts, but I am skeptical.

And besides being bulkier and heavier (two big dings in this market segment), no way it could come within $20 of the current price point in early (or even later in) 2013.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #122 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
…I think more women will prefer the iPad mini in white. More feminine?

Racist. AND sexist. For shame. lol.gif

That is such a load of crap.

I know you are kidding but still you need a /s tag

For some reason no matter where I travel, the premiere hotels always have white towels in the bath. Are they racist? I don't think so. Black towels are not something that is often requested i'm guessing. White is just a clean color. Women like clean.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #123 of 131
seems like they just run out of the initial launch supply of all the wifi models.
post #124 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

…I think more women will prefer the iPad mini in white. More feminine?

Racist. AND sexist. For shame. lol.gif
No, racist and sexist would be saying that women prefer their 8" devices to be black!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #125 of 131

All models are sold out for iPad mini. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini

post #126 of 131
I'm waiting for the exact date in November of the WiFi/LTE version before buying one - White 16/32. Anybody else waiting like me? Although I could pre-order them now, I just want to make sure the date correspond to, my off day work so I could personally wait fort it top arrive and my pay day (I pay cash).
post #127 of 131

I'm not sure if it's been stated on this forum, but I ordered the 32GB Wifi model in Slate for my better half.  This was Saturday at 12:00PM in Beijing...or 9:00PM Pacific Coast time Friday.  When I started the process the website said "delivers on Nov. 2nd".  But when I actually placed the order, it told me "ships in 2 weeks".  So I don't think the 16GB model was the only model sold out after launch.

I think it's interesting that the cheapest model sells out first.  I think that just goes to show that people really do make their decisions based on price, then by capacity.  I'm sure those that wanted the 16GB version quickly, noticed the others were still available and upgraded to the next available size to ship quick.  Personally, my decision was based on what she wanted.  She wanted more capacity that 16GB, so I ordered 32.

Edited by antkm1 - 10/29/12 at 2:44am
post #128 of 131
Amazon taking on the mini directly....from the homepage of amazon.com

241j9eh.jpg
post #129 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

All models are sold out for iPad mini. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini

Someone should mention this to Amazon. 1wink.gif
post #130 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I don't think people are going to be all that interested in shelling out for high Flash capacity mini tablets unless the prices come down considerably which Apple won't do. 

N.O.V.A 3 1.57GB

Infinity Blade 2 1.3GB

Mass Effect Infiltrator 1.2GB

Modern Combat 3 1.09GB

Infinity Blade 945MB

Rainbow Six 546MB

N.O.V.A 2 519MB

Dungeon Hunter 2 HD 467MB

Real Racing 2 HD 444MB

Lego HP 473 MB

16GB is too small for anyone with any sort of game library without a lot of swapping...mine isn't all that big and I have to pick and choose what to keep loaded.  

And the games are getting richer and more complex...and that usually means also much bigger.  See the trend from NOVA 2 to NOVA 3.  At 1.5GB that's 10 games and not much else.

Quote:
So in a year or two, because of this I think Apple will only offer the iPad mini in 16GB variations and leave the higher capacities for the full-size iPad.

Not likely.  Margins are thin on the 16GB and they depend on making that up on the upsell.  If you can live within 16GB then the iPad mini is a great value.  If you can't, then the iPad 32GB is still a good value.

post #131 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I'm waiting for the exact date in November of the WiFi/LTE version before buying one - White 16/32. Anybody else waiting like me? Although I could pre-order them now, I just want to make sure the date correspond to, my off day work so I could personally wait fort it top arrive and my pay day (I pay cash).

I figured since they aren't going to ship till later in the month I'd go to the Apple Store to see if I liked slate or white better.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours