or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours - Page 2

post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


From the pics, it looks like it will appear exactly like the 5 from the front (beveled aluminum edging). The white is gorgeous- I get jealous from my wife's pretty often. Interestingly enough- she gets jealous from my black. This black is way better this time around- like a stealth phone- even the buttons are black. It's gorgeous. The mini design Makes the big iPad look antiquated.
The mini is a thing of beauty- ill wait patiently (ok- impatiently) for retina and an A6. Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.
I'm hoping this spring..... Hoping.

I would say take a look at one in person before thinking you need the Retina. As long as it puts out the same amount of brightness as the iPad 2, this screen is going to look much better than the screen on that full sized iPad 2.  It will look much sharper. I expect it will look closer to the Retina display of the iPad 3 than it does to the display of the iPad 2. We'll see.

I'll be getting the 32GB ATT in white.

post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never had an iPhone 3g, so I can't really comment on that, but I do know that the display tech in the iPad Mini is far more advanced, so I'm not sure why the Verge mentioned anything about any ancient iPhone.

 

The iPad Mini uses in-cell technology, and the pixels will be appear to be glued on to the screen, almost popping out at you, like on the iPhone 5 I believe. I'm also pretty sure that it's much brighter, has better contrast and much more accurate color levels than any old iPhone display.

 

I look forward to holding an iPad Mini in my own hands, and trying it out for myself, but I have a feeling that I'll be happy with the display. It's obviously not going to be sharper than the iPad 3 Retina display which I use everyday, but I believe that the iPad Mini will have a pretty decent display.

I hope you're right and the newer displays are better. One would think Apple wouldn't dare put one out with an inferior display given the heavy competition..

Because if it's too pixelated I'll be forced to buy the 4th gen iPad with Retina. Not only will it be more expensive, but too heavy for my liking. 

post #43 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I hope you're right and the newer displays are better. One would think Apple wouldn't dare put one out with an inferior display given the heavy competition..

Because if it's too pixelated I'll be forced to buy the 4th gen iPad with Retina. Not only will it be more expensive, but too heavy for my liking. 

We'll all know for sure in less than a week, when we can walk into any Apple store and see them with our own eyes. 1smile.gif

 

Based on all of the information available, it will be superior to the iPad 2 display, because the display size is smaller, which gives it a higher DPI, meaning smaller pixels and sharper images/text. Also, it uses in-cell technology, and I don't believe that the iPad 2 did, so I am expecting a display that is a bit better than the iPad 2, at the very least. And the iPad 2 had a pretty decent display, IMO.

post #44 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I believe the reason it took this long is because most people don't know about it. When an iPhone get released everyone I know knows about it. Even those who don't own iPhones. Most people I know didn't know about the iPad mini. As far as I know, Apple didn't even air the TV ad yet.

I saw it in the news and newspapers so I don't think many people didn't know about it. Many might be waiting for it to get closer to the holidays before pulling the trigger.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

not sure why we keep caring that something sells out at the apple store - everything ends up having a wait time now - at the end of the quarter it never meets the hype.

it is obvious by now that Apple simply does not make enough of them at launch.

 

What does that even mean? 'Not meeting the hype'? You talking about analysts pulling numbers out of their ass? These products are selling more than anything else in the industry. 'Hype' is a useless, irrelevant, subjective term that means nothing. Apple still has to abide by the rules of reality, which includes logistics and manufacturing issues. No other company on the planet can produce and sell 5 million of an extremely complex electronic product like the iPhone 5 in a launch weekend, but apparently for you they 'didnt make enough', cause you know, all they needed to do was produce more pixie dust or something. Logistical realities means that Apple will nevr be able to fulfill demand at launch for EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO WANTS ONE. That doesnt mean they're purposely holding back stock, or that its even possible for them to produce more. 

post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


...snip...

That doesnt mean they're purposely holding back stock, or that its even possible for them to produce more. 

Especally so if, as is rumoured, supply of components such as the screen is (currently) highly constrained.
post #47 of 131
Companies sell out for two reasons:
  1. They underestimated how popular their product would be.
  2. They just couldn't make enough.

For Tim Cook, an unfulfilled order is a potential lost sale. The idea that a company will under-produce to generate hype, especially this close to Christmas, is laughable.
post #48 of 131

Mine's supposed to be here Friday.

post #49 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never had an iPhone 3g, so I can't really comment on that, but I do know that the display tech in the iPad Mini is far more advanced, so I'm not sure why the Verge mentioned anything about any ancient iPhone.

 

The iPad Mini uses in-cell technology, and the pixels will appear to be glued on to the screen, almost popping out at you, like on the iPhone 5 I believe. I'm also pretty sure that it's much brighter, has better contrast and much more accurate color levels than any old iPhone display. And also the iPhone 3g was not an IPS display. I have no idea why they would even mention the 3g.

 

I look forward to holding an iPad Mini in my own hands, and trying it out for myself, but I have a feeling that I'll be happy with the display. It's obviously not going to be sharper than the iPad 3 Retina display which I use everyday, but I believe that the iPad Mini will have a pretty decent display.

Are you getting the iPad Mini?

post #50 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are you getting the iPad Mini?

 

I haven't pre-ordered any.

 

I will make up my mind when I visit an Apple store and see how it feels and looks when I'm holding it. I'm definitely not getting an iPad 4 though, since I have the iPad 3. My next full sized iPad will be the iPad 5.

post #51 of 131
I love it when all the android fans go away... its nice to read a article without all the hate.. and its best when Apple shuts them up with these kind of sales..

Cant wait for the wife and I to get ours on Friday.. Sold both our Nexus 7 and Asus Transforme TF201. after getting the iphone 5 and loving it...

iMac is next on my list and wife wants a new pro
post #52 of 131

please

post #53 of 131
Why do people seem to like the white one better? The black one is imho nicer, and well, it's easier on the eyes to look at a black enclosure than at a white one???

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #54 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Companies sell out for two reasons:
  1. They underestimated how popular their product would be.
  2. They just couldn't make enough.
For Tim Cook, an unfulfilled order is a potential lost sale. The idea that a company will under-produce to generate hype, especially this close to Christmas, is laughable.
Why is this so hard for people to understand? Especially with a company like apple that doesn't need to constrain supplies to generate demand.
post #55 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Then again, the Verge said it had a very similar screen to the iPhone 3g and I have one of those. And I can tell you, it's not very sharp. 

Strange as I find the iPad 2 sharper than the iPhone 3g and you would think the other way around given the differences in screen size.

The pixel density on the mini is sharper than my 11" Macbook Air that I use everyday, so it shouldn't be a problem for me. However, for those who are coming from using an iPad 3 Retina display, I imagine that they won't be too happy with it. I owned a white Verizon model, but sold it months ago because I barely used it. 


Edited by BuddyRevell - 10/28/12 at 4:30am
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #56 of 131

I'm thinking of getting a 32GB WiFi+3G White iPad-mini to go with the first-gen iPad.

 

Unfortunately, Apple's 14-day no quibble return policy means that a certain percentage of orders will be to people who will have no intention of keeping the iPad-mini. Having said that, I bought my 1st-gen iPad thinking if it wasn't to my liking I would just return it. Decided within one hour to keep it.

 

 

The family is complete: iPad 4 = Daddy iOS device; iP4/S & iPT = 2.5 Kids; all we needed was a Mommy iOS device and now we have her...

post #57 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221132"]I've never had an iPhone 3g, so I can't really comment on that, but I do know that the display tech in the iPad Mini is far more advanced, so I'm not sure why the Verge mentioned anything about any ancient iPhone.

The iPad Mini uses in-cell technology, and the pixels will appear to be glued on to the screen, almost popping out at you, like on the iPhone 5 I believe. I'm also pretty sure that it's much brighter, has better contrast and much more accurate color levels than any old iPhone display. And also the iPhone 3g was not an IPS display. I have no idea why they would even mention the 3g.

I look forward to holding an iPad Mini in my own hands, and trying it out for myself, but I have a feeling that I'll be happy with the display. It's obviously not going to be sharper than the iPad 3 Retina display which I use everyday, but I believe that the iPad Mini will have a pretty decent display.

I think they mention it becasue its the same pixels per inch. But the 2 screens are using completly different screen tech indeed, which will makethe mini look a lot better.

Go watch the cnet video, the guys says it looks much better then the ipad2 screen.
post #58 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What does that even mean? 'Not meeting the hype'? You talking about analysts pulling numbers out of their ass? These products are selling more than anything else in the industry. 'Hype' is a useless, irrelevant, subjective term that means nothing. Apple still has to abide by the rules of reality, which includes logistics and manufacturing issues. No other company on the planet can produce and sell 5 million of an extremely complex electronic product like the iPhone 5 in a launch weekend, but apparently for you they 'didnt make enough', cause you know, all they needed to do was produce more pixie dust or something. Logistical realities means that Apple will nevr be able to fulfill demand at launch for EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO WANTS ONE. That doesnt mean they're purposely holding back stock, or that its even possible for them to produce more. 

Imo this is why they need to go for unexpected product cycles instead of being on a predictable calender. Too many people know about the cycles so it creates impossible to meet demand at launch.
post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

The pixel density on the mini is sharper than my 11" Macbook Air that I use everyday, so it shouldn't be a problem for me. However, for those who are coming from using an iPad 3 Retina display, I imagine that they won't be too happy with it. I owned a white Verizon model, but sold it months ago because I barely used it. 

Does the ipad 3 used in-cell tech and IPS? Those screen are much more vivid and it may make the mini look better if youre vision is not good enough to see the resolution difference.
post #60 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221093"]That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.lol.gif

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.

Can those screens be built in a quantity of say 4 million per month, not require superpowerful CPU GPU, large battery, and be be built for, say, $50 apiece?

See, practicality is as much of an issue as technology.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #61 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours/40#post_2221147"]
I haven't pre-ordered any.

I will make up my mind when I visit an Apple store and see how it feels and looks when I'm holding it. I'm definitely not getting an iPad 4 though, since I have the iPad 3. My next full sized iPad will be the iPad 5.

You sold me on it Apple ][. I'll be doing the same- ill try it out in store and if I like the screen enough (ill bring my iPad 2), I'll order it up from Macmall.

I'm with you on the iPad 4 and 5. You can almost guarantee theyre going to make the next iPad similar in design to the Touch, iPhone, and iPad mini- which is what I would wait for too. Just like Phil said when he was talking about the iMac after they did a side by side- it's funny how in one day it can make the previous model look antiquated. I think the mini does that to the iPad.

I'm absolutely in love with the touch, iPhone, and mini designs- prettiest, lightest (yet strongest) iOS devices ever- even if black does scratch. 1smile.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #62 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Why do people seem to like the white one better? The black one is imho nicer, and well, it's easier on the eyes to look at a black enclosure than at a white one???

 

Tastes vary.

 

I always thought the black gadgets looked better, except this time. Black/black with black back just looks boring to me. That silver cut ring really stands out on the white model.

 

Then there is how the back/edges will handle scratches. Scratch a silver case, with a silver colored metal underneath and you will barely notice. Scratch a black case with silver colored metal and it will stand out in high contrast.

 

The Black would have been better with a silver back for both of those reasons.

post #63 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.

that's different than making more than 20million of them each quarter at reasonable price, isn't it?

post #64 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours/40#post_2221147"]
I haven't pre-ordered any.

I will make up my mind when I visit an Apple store and see how it feels and looks when I'm holding it. I'm definitely not getting an iPad 4 though, since I have the iPad 3. My next full sized iPad will be the iPad 5.
I definitely hear you there. I always wanted a slightly smaller iPad with out it being a too small like android....since iPad 2. So mini is welcome news to me. I was never gonna get the 4 so soon after the three. Assuming i miss the lte i will by the lte version at a later time.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 10/28/12 at 7:45am
post #65 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

that's different than making more than 20million of them each quarter at reasonable price, isn't it?

I'm not sure why so many people who I classify as intelligent and not technically challenged don't seem to understand the difference between completing a proof of concept and making a a quarter million a day. Then we have people who will swear that a large 4K display is going to be more expensive in every way than a tablet size 4K display with no consideration as to how those pixels will need to be more dense. It's mind boggling to me as this seems like it should be common sense.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #66 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
It's mind boggling to me as this seems like it should be common sense.

 

To the common man, smaller = cheaper. A compact car costs less than an extended crew cab truck. A mini-fridge is cheaper than a full-size refrigerator. A four bedroom, three bath is more than a two bedroom, one bath.

 

The tech industry flips this.

post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Companies sell out for two reasons:
  1. They underestimated how popular their product would be.
  2. They just couldn't make enough.
For Tim Cook, an unfulfilled order is a potential lost sale. The idea that a company will under-produce to generate hype, especially this close to Christmas, is laughable.

 

Exactly. The catch is that Apple doesn't stockpile for weeks and months before a launch. It's a dumb move on several reasons. Security on the product details, security on the product, batteries drain even when something is off (slowly but it happens and who wants to get a device that could be drained almost out) and the biggie of demand being scaled differently than their guesses. They might think that the 32 GB Black will be the big seller but then it turns out to be the 64 GB White. So they would still be 'sold out' of that model with folks waiting. So they stock pile for say maybe factory production of 1 month, and scale further production based what sells out the fastest. Apple has learned that folks will wait. 

 

And I suspect that the Mini at this point is a tad slow on the sales because folks are likely getting the Cell models when they launch later. Not to mention there's also the new full size model which could be taking some sales from the Mini. But I think the numbers will still impress for what is essentially Apple's first 'new' product in 3 years

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #68 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post

I'm thinking of getting a 32GB WiFi+3G White iPad-mini to go with the first-gen iPad.

 

Unfortunately, Apple's 14-day no quibble return policy means that a certain percentage of orders will be to people who will have no intention of keeping the iPad-mini. Having said that, I bought my 1st-gen iPad thinking if it wasn't to my liking I would just return it. Decided within one hour to keep it.

 

 

That is true of any product. You think 100% of the folks getting a Surface RT are going to keep it. Hell some of them may have returned it already and ordered their iPad. 

 

THe key is what percent of folks are returning. Complete return, not exchange for a different color, size etc. I'll bet that Apple has a lower percent than the Surface etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #69 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To the common man, smaller = cheaper. A compact car costs less than an extended crew cab truck. A mini-fridge is cheaper than a full-size refrigerator. A four bedroom, three bath is more than a two bedroom, one bath.

The tech industry flips this.

And if you make something smaller it typically is cheaper, but we're not talking about a smaller display we're talking about a miniaturized display that is taking 4K resolution and putting it into a very, very, very small area. Same goes with the electronics for a fridge. If you take the performance of a full size fridge and find a way to put it all into a package the size of an iPod Touch box you have yourself a very expensive component over the full sized version due to miniaturization. R&D, engineering the manufacturing, new materials and chemicals, and/or higher tolerances help contribute to such a cost. Everyone who can read this forum should be able to understand that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is true of any product. You think 100% of the folks getting a Surface RT are going to keep it. Hell some of them may have returned it already and ordered their iPad. 

THe key is what percent of folks are returning. Complete return, not exchange for a different color, size etc. I'll bet that Apple has a lower percent than the Surface etc

I thought of getting one just to try it out but I decided that wouldn't be right since I really have no intention of keeping it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #71 of 131

Finally i will have a go at the iPad,

 

My girlfriend's old Dell is dead, so she is going to try the new iPad (she has a "backup" 15.6 inch Acer at home, for the rare cases where she might need a Laptop). It is going to be her second Apple product (after the shuffle i gave her a few months ago) and I'm here to help. Looks like a great moment/opportunity to try the tablet world, and we are "covered" (the backup laptop situation).

 

For me, since i have the amazing machine that is the 2011 i7 air, I will pull the trigger.. But for the iPad mini.

 

My only concerns are related to the fact that this is a big investment (but needed on her case, not mine.. For me (the iPad mini i want) is just a "luxury", but in her case the new iPad is the smartest buy possible, the best computer ever made for her needs.) and that there is no Apple Store in Portugal.

 

Is Applecare a "must"? My computer is just amazing.. But an iOS device, i don't know. What i know is that this tablet must be perfectly functional until the end of university (4 years, my air will have a 6 year life span as my main laptop, 5 to go) and it will be treated carefully, it's a "big" investment when people here earn less than 500euros per month, so when we are "pushing it" for the 609 price tag, plus a case, the extra 80 € for Applecare are a pain.

 

I think a lot before buying any tech product and i treat them very carefully. My air (was bought 14 months ago) is in Mint condition, no ugly cases and goes with me everywhere, I use it a lot, really. But computers with my girlfriend? They do not have the same treatment and at my eyes, it's just amazing how that lovely creature can be so dangerous when she is close to my Mac. Women and computers... dangerous cocktail.

 

Since tablets are a new thing, I don't have the necessary data to make an absolute conclusion...

This is a very serious and calculated buy, and the iPad will be used 10h everyday, so all information is essential.

 

What is your opinion? Are iPads mac-like tough? And what about build quality? Anyone that uses an iPad as their main computing device?

Any opinions are welcome.

 

P.S. Other tablets are not an option since when compared to the new iPad they loose on every single department.

 

In my opinion, the iPad is now ready for primetime on any area, any situation. It's an amazing computer, the a6x will be pure joy, great battery, great screen, great ecosystem and the best company in the world watching your back, but build quality is the difference between a great buy and a "shouldn't have done that" and i don't have experience with them, like i do with computers... So the fact that we do not have Apple Stores here to resolve any "problem" immediately is a cause of concern, and every-time i talk with a "FNAC guy", i just want to punch those ignorants (really, what's the point in having 18yo dropouts telling me why i should buy the huge POS alienware or series 7 because their are the best since you can play PES and Skyrim on it), so resellers in Portugal are a no-no.

 

Best regards. 


Edited by pedromartins - 10/28/12 at 9:14am
post #72 of 131

The 16GB versions have sold out but not the higher capacity ones. I'm not surprised considering how they're price. I don't think people are going to be all that interested in shelling out for high Flash capacity mini tablets unless the prices come down considerably which Apple won't do. So in a year or two, because of this I think Apple will only offer the iPad mini in 16GB variations and leave the higher capacities for the full-size iPad.

post #73 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Everyone who can read this forum should be able to understand that.

 

Oh, agreed; absolutely.

post #74 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

The 16GB versions have sold out but not the higher capacity ones. I'm not surprised considering how they're price. I don't think people are going to be all that interested in shelling out for high Flash capacity mini tablets unless the prices come down considerably which Apple won't do. So in a year or two, because of this I think Apple will only offer the iPad mini in 16GB variations and leave the higher capacities for the full-size iPad.

Interesting thought. It wouldn't be unprecedented if Apple made such a blunder, although this time it would be the reverse. Remember the original 4GB iPhone? It was discontinued only after a few months.

However, the white models in higher capacity sold out quickly. Perhaps this is finding a market with a segment that simply prefers the white/silver model. I think it looks better than that black/metal model which is why I bought a white/silver iPhone this time around because I thought it looked better, perhaps that is the case here or perhaps that the smaller, purse-sized iPad in white is being bought by women who prefer that styling overall (I hope I don't sound sexist with that comment). Note: I include the additional descriptor of the metal color as I think that is important with this release.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #75 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Finally i will have a go at the iPad,

 

My girlfriend's old Dell is dead, so she is going to try the new iPad (she has a "backup" 15.6 inch Acer at home, for the rare cases where she might need a Laptop). It is going to be her second Apple product (after the shuffle i gave her a few months ago) and I'm here to help. Looks like a great moment/opportunity to try the tablet world, and we are "covered" (the backup laptop situation).

 

For me, since i have the amazing machine that is the 2011 i7 air, I will pull the trigger.. But for the iPad mini.

 

My only concerns are related to the fact that this is a big investment (but needed on her case, not mine.. For me (the iPad mini i want) is just a "luxury", but in her case the new iPad is the smartest buy possible, the best computer ever made for her needs.) and that there is no Apple Store in Portugal.

 

Is Applecare a "must"? My computer is just amazing.. But an iOS device, i don't know. What i know is that this tablet must be perfectly functional until the end of university (4 years, my air will have a 6 year life span as my main laptop, 5 to go) and it will be treated carefully, it's a "big" investment when people here earn less than 500euros per month, so when we are "pushing it" for the 609 price tag, plus a case, the extra 80 € for Applecare are a pain.

 

I think a lot before buying any tech product and i treat them very carefully. My air (was bought 14 months ago) is in Mint condition, no ugly cases and goes with me everywhere, I use it a lot, really. But computers with my girlfriend? They do not have the same treatment and at my eyes, it's just amazing how that lovely creature can be so dangerous when she is close to my Mac. Women and computers... dangerous cocktail.

 

Since tablets are a new thing, I don't have the necessary data to make an absolute conclusion...

This is a very serious and calculated buy, and the iPad will be used 10h everyday, so all information is essential.

 

What is your opinion? Are iPads mac-like tough? And what about build quality? Anyone that uses an iPad as their main computing device?

Any opinions are welcome.

 

 

AppleCare. It completely depends on how your gf treats her electronics. If she's careful, it is probably not worth it. Apple has a one year warranty on their products, so AppleCare basically says, if it fails during the SECOND year, Apple covers you. Some accidental damage coverage (up to two incidents) is also included for what amounts to a small deductible fee, so it also acts like a limited insurance policy. If there's a manufacturing defect, chances are that it will appear during the first year of use, so Apple's standard warranty already covers that.

 

My opinion is that if you want to keep an iPad for 4-5 years, it's the owner, not AppleCare that will make the difference. AppleCare isn't so much of an insurance policy as an extended warranty with insurance-like features. But it doesn't extend to 4 years, so if you want an iPad to last, take responsibility, put it in a good, protective case, keep it dry and away from high heat (such as a locked car in the sun), and it should EASILY last 4-5 years, and follow the recommended battery use patterns. I still have my first-gen iPad and it still works like new. I'm also using a 5 year old MacBook Pro, and it also runs without a problem. They both look like the day they were opened.

 

It is my opinion that an iPad is equally durable as an all aluminum MacBook Air, even slightly more so because there's no keyboard, ports, ventilation holes or a hinge that can break, and the glass screen is made from a heavier, stronger glass. Make sure she gets an appropriate case that keeps it protected at all times, and she should be fine.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 131

Of course it wasn't going to sell out in a couple hours. The iPhone is Apple's biggest seller by far, accounting for 50% of Apple's entire revenue stream. It was a year since the last version. People were expecting a major update. This is why the iPhone 5 sold out so quickly. The iPad 3 introduced a new quad core GPU and the highest reolution display in the world. It was a huge upgrade from the iPad 2, and also explains its brisk sales.

 

The iPad Mini is not something people were anxiously waiting for so they could upgrade their current iPad. It's a new product aimed at a slightly different demographic. It's going to sell very well, but nobody expected it to cause the same kind of excitement as an iPhone launch.

 

Except, of course, the haters who still try to spin the sales numbers as a failure. Tell me, do you think the iMac or MacBook are also failures when they don't sell out in a few hours? How about the Apple TV?

post #77 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Of course it wasn't going to sell out in a couple hours. The iPhone is Apple's biggest seller by far, accounting for 50% of Apple's entire revenue stream. It was a year since the last version. People were expecting a major update. This is why the iPhone 5 sold out so quickly. The iPad 3 introduced a new quad core GPU and the highest reolution display in the world. It was a huge upgrade from the iPad 2, and also explains its brisk sales.

The iPad Mini is not something people were anxiously waiting for so they could upgrade their current iPad. It's a new product aimed at a slightly different demographic. It's going to sell very well, but nobody expected it to cause the same kind of excitement as an iPhone launch.

Except, of course, the haters who still try to spin the sales numbers as a failure. Tell me, do you think the iMac or MacBook are also failures when they don't sell out in a few hours? How about the Apple TV?

There are certainly going to be people that will say Apple isn't selling many, which I suspect are the same people that say Apple doesn't know what it's doing when they sell out or that Apple is trying to artificially hype their product when they sell out.

You make some good points about the saturation of Apple products right now. iPods, iPhone, iPad 4, and even Macs are in the mix. If I hadn't bought a new iPhone and plan to buy an iMac in December I might have bought an iPad mini for the hell of it.

One thing is for certain, Apple is ready for a blockbuster holiday quarter with so many great products touching so many potential customers. This quarter they'll make more revenue than Google has taken in in the last 4 quarters combined. By next holiday quarter they'll best a combined 4 quarters of MS revenue at their current upward trajectory.... And I think they'll do it because with so much launching now, including the iPad (4), they'll have a gap in the Spring and I don't think Img Tech Rogue 6 can come before the Summer which means no iPad (5) before then. To me that means it's unlikely to expect a brand new Apple product category then,

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #78 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

AppleCare. It completely depends on how your gf treats her electronics. If she's careful, it is probably not worth it. Apple has a one year warranty on their products, so AppleCare basically says, if it fails during the SECOND year, Apple covers you. Some accidental damage coverage (up to two incidents) is also included for what amounts to a small deductible fee, so it also acts like a limited insurance policy. If there's a manufacturing defect, chances are that it will appear during the first year of use, so Apple's standard warranty already covers that.

 

My opinion is that if you want to keep an iPad for 4-5 years, it's the owner, not AppleCare that will make the difference. AppleCare isn't so much of an insurance policy as an extended warranty with insurance-like features. But it doesn't extend to 4 years, so if you want an iPad to last, take responsibility, put it in a good, protective case, keep it dry and away from high heat (such as a locked car in the sun), and it should EASILY last 4-5 years, and follow the recommended battery use patterns. I still have my first-gen iPad and it still works like new. I'm also using a 5 year old MacBook Pro, and it also runs without a problem. They both look like the day they were opened.

 

It is my opinion that an iPad is equally durable as an all aluminum MacBook Air, even slightly more so because there's no keyboard, ports, ventilation holes or a hinge that can break, and the glass screen is made from a heavier, stronger glass. Make sure she gets an appropriate case that keeps it protected at all times, and she should be fine.

 

Thank you very much. I totally agree with you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


There are certainly going to be people that will say Apple isn't selling many, which I suspect are the same people that say Apple doesn't know what it's doing when they sell out or that Apple is trying to artificially hype their product when they sell out.
You make some good points about the saturation of Apple products right now. iPods, iPhone, iPad 4, and even Macs are in the mix. If I hadn't bought a new iPhone and plan to buy an iMac in December I might have bought an iPad mini for the hell of it.
One thing is for certain, Apple is ready for a blockbuster holiday quarter with so many great products touching so many potential customers. This quarter they'll make more revenue than Google has taken in in the last 4 quarters combined. By next holiday quarter they'll best a combined 4 quarters of MS revenue at their current upward trajectory.... And I think they'll do it because with so much launching now, including the iPad (4), they'll have a gap in the Spring and I don't think Img Tech Rogue 6 can come before the Summer which means no iPad (5) before then. To me that means it's unlikely to expect a brand new Apple product category then,

TV, mac pro or, my favorite option (by far), SOFTWARE.

 

The first half of next year should be all about software, we already have new form factors/devices. Why not more from both OSes, more from iCloud and iTunes, more from iWork and other Pro Apps, new music services, etc.. Software.

 

Just for the Hell of it, give users the option to run Windows RT and destroy windows tablets once and for all. lol

post #79 of 131
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
Just for the Hell of it, give users the option to run Windows RT and destroy windows tablets once and for all. lol

 

Windows RT is the reason Windows tablets have been destroyed once and for all.

post #80 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Windows RT is the reason Windows tablets have been destroyed once and for all.

I don't know about that... People still have that feeling that something like office is essential, even if they never use it. In markets were tablets are still "new", that's dangerous for apple. Not only that, I'm sure windows RT has strong points, right?

 

One thing is certain, windows 8 will introduce real piracy and virus to the mobile world. Jailbreakers and "rooters" (pretty much all pirates are jailbreakers and rooters, fact) will be seem as little kids in comparison.

Can you imagine what will happen when Piratebay has an app for windows?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours