or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Is the MBA 13 still a good buy?

Is the MBA 13 still a good buy?

post #1 of 3

I"m looking at my first Mac purchase in the next few days and trying to decide if the MBA 13 is still a good buy.  I plan to upgrade to the I7, 8GB, and 512GB.   My use is personal and work from home using Parallel or Fusion.  I'm moving from a Toshiba 17" laptop the size of a small ship.

In the Apple Store, the MBA 13 looks like it would do the job, but I'm concerned about screen size and website readability.  It appears that when visiting a website they stay within a certain "frame size" even if you maximize the screen.  There is always lots of space on the screen not being used by the site.  Do you have better readability if you go with a rMBP 15?

A loaded MBA with Apple Care is approximately $2,500 with the rMBP 15 a few hundred more.  This is why I"m asking if the MBA still a good buy at this time.

Appreciate any comments.

MBA or rMBP, purchase is a few days away.

MBA or rMBP, purchase is a few days away.

post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeachbum 
In the Apple Store, the MBA 13 looks like it would do the job, but I'm concerned about screen size and website readability.  It appears that when visiting a website they stay within a certain "frame size" even if you maximize the screen.  There is always lots of space on the screen not being used by the site.  Do you have better readability if you go with a rMBP 15?

A loaded MBA with Apple Care is approximately $2,500 with the rMBP 15 a few hundred more.  This is why I"m asking if the MBA still a good buy at this time.

You can zoom web pages up by hitting command+ and it maintains the setting in an active tab while browsing but readability is better on the 15" and I would never spend $2500 on a MBA. You should consider resale value.

BTO options can drop in value quickly. Apple is currently charging a lot for SSD.

I'd go for a 15" rMBP, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Applecare for $2748 + $90 USB 3 HDD like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STBX1000101/dp/B008R7FC74
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-External/dp/B0052L77SA

The SSD isn't soldered in so can be upgraded in future.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeachbum View Post

I"m looking at my first Mac purchase in the next few days and trying to decide if the MBA 13 is still a good buy.  I plan to upgrade to the I7, 8GB, and 512GB.   My use is personal and work from home using Parallel or Fusion.  I'm moving from a Toshiba 17" laptop the size of a small ship.

Appreciate any comments.

MBA 13" is really nice if you want something unbelievably portable yet powerful. But with what you're wanting to use it... Retina MBP 15" is simply amazing. If you want readability, that's it. You can adjust the "resolution" on the Retina MBP to get the right sizing. This is good because the Retina MBPs do the scaling very well, when I had the Retina MBP I had a "1280x800" setting where everything was quite "big" but super crisp too.

Retina MBP 15".

I'm not sure why the stock Retina MBP 15" entry level would ~not~ meet your needs. It's pretty good. As for storage, consider other options as above...?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Is the MBA 13 still a good buy?