or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands

post #1 of 125
Thread Starter 
"Venus," the Philippe Starck-designed super yacht commissioned by late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, was officially launched in Aalsmeer by Dutch custom ship builder Feadship on Sunday, with Jobs' family on-hand for the unveiling.

Venus
Source: One More Thing


Images and video of Venus were published by Dutch Apple blog One More Thing (via The Verge) , and show a sleek, minimalistic vessel sharing an aesthetic very much on par with the products Jobs' had a hand in creating at Apple.

According to reports, the roughly 80-meter long hull of the ship is made completely of aluminum, while huge plate windows adorn the wheelhouse, saloon and main deck entrances, giving the ship a clean, open appearance. Continuing the spartan styling inside, the wheelhouse uses seven 27-inch iMacs running navigation, systems control and other seafaring software to assist in operating Venus.

Not much is known of the cabin arrangement or number of crew needed to sail, but the super yacht is expected to be freighted from Aalsmeer to her home port in the U.S.



As a gesture of gratitude, each worker involved with the ship's construction was given an iPod shuffle with a "Venus" engraving, along with a note from the Jobs family thanking them for their craftsmanship.

Thank You Note
iPod shuffle and accompanying note of thanks from the Jobs family.


Venus was first mentioned by Jobs' biographer Walter Isaacson in 2011:

As expected, the planned yacht was sleek and minimalist. The teak decks were perfectly flat and unblemished by any accoutrements. As at an Apple store, the cabin windows were large panes, almost floor to ceiling, and the main living area was designed to have walls of glass that were forty feet long and ten feet high. He had gotten the chief engineer of the Apple stores to design a special glass that was able to provide structural support. By then the boat was under construction by the Dutch custom yacht builders Feadship, but Jobs was still fiddling with the design. "I know that it?s possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half-built boat," he said. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don?t, it?s an admission that I?m about to die."



Renowned French designer Philippe Starck caused a small media firestorm in April, when he announced that Apple would be releasing a "revolutionary" new product of his design within eight months. After a quick denial from Apple, Starck confirmed that the "product" was in fact the super yacht revealed today.

Venus Stern


Jobs apparently began designing Venus after returning from an Italy to Turkey cruise, which he called his "best vacation" ever. He repeatedly redesigned the boat and nearly canceled the project due to illness in 2009.

"I didn't think I would be alive when it got done," Jobs told Isaacson. "But that made me so sad, and I decided that working on the design was fun to do, and maybe I have a shot at being alive when it's done."
post #2 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Venus," the Philippe Starck-designed super yacht commissioned by late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, was officially launched in Aalsmeer by Dutch custom ship builder Feadship on Sunday, with Jobs' family on-hand for the unveiling. ...

 

Not my taste in boat design, but it seems very SJ.

post #3 of 125
Does it come in both white and black?
post #4 of 125
The portion above deck looks out of place to me, but I like the shape of the hull
post #5 of 125
Holy ship!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #6 of 125
The roofs of the two top portion look exactly like the casing of the original iPad. Crazy!
post #7 of 125

Did you see that line of Mac monitors on the top floor?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #8 of 125
It looks like a yacht designed with input from Philippe Stark.
Interesting and maybe even cool to experience . . .
. . . but probably not very easy to live with and not really my taste.
post #9 of 125

I don't like how it looks, way too squarish.

 

I don't care how famous or whatever that French Stark guy is, but I'm not impressed.

 

If I ever become a billionaire, I certainly won't be contacting him to design my yacht.

post #10 of 125
Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.

Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.
post #11 of 125
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post
Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

 

I really don't see how it differs from many other yachts.

 

Specifically, interestingly, this'n.


Thanks to its special hull form, the ship can reach speeds of 24 knots without splashing waves.

 

Sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing, and you don't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #12 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I really don't see how it differs from many other yachts.

 

You can steer with multi-touch.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #13 of 125
This is no Venus, it's an android. Samsung is building it.
post #14 of 125

Beautiful!! I wonder if you can control it with your iPhone and iPad!!

post #15 of 125
With his private jet being called N2N, as in End to End, I would have called the ship C2C. I know the history of the name Venus but I wonder why that was chosen for this ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

I disagree with that. This is the yacht of a billionaire. They are not going to use it like fisherman in the North Sea. They will fly to where ever on their private jet, get chauffeured to the marina (I see no helipad), and use it to taxi around that area. When they are done the crew will sail the ship to the next location and will have plenty of time to wait out a storm or sail around it. There is very little chance that Lauren and the kids will be battening down the hatches.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #16 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Beautiful!! I wonder if you can control it with your iPhone and iPad!!

I wonder when they need navigation charts if the captain is required to say "There's a map for that."

-or-

I hope they aren't using Apple Maps to sail the thing.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #17 of 125
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I wonder when they need navigation charts if the captain is required to say "There's a map for that."
-or-
I hope they aren't using Apple Maps to sail the thing.

 

*Joke about Apple Maps being used to… HEY YOU EDITED NO FAIR*

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #18 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

well, maybe they designed it on a computer system and did the water tests to what type of impact they have first.  If you look at it the bottom, it's got another shape underneath.  I don't know much about boat design and I kind of see your point but I think one has to experience it first.  I'm not saying it would be my choice of a yatch design, but I'm sure the inside is probably pretty freaking cool...

 

Some of these big ships don't actually go anywhere.  Maybe he just wanted to cruise it around the SF Bay Area and have it more as a party ship to have guests and serve meals and enjoy a slow boat ride.  Have you ridden on a barge?   Don't they have flat bottoms with no curve?  I'm just pontificating. Nothing personal.  I think we'd have to ride it to find out if it was comfortable or not.

post #19 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

THe front does have a curvature to it. It's kind of deceptive, but look closely at the front and there is a curve to it that resembles a traditional boat hull.

post #20 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think we'd have to ride it to find out if it was comfortable or not.

Well, if you insist.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #21 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

 

From what I can tell its the opposite. Looks like a deadrise bow, meaning its vertical. That will tend to cut the waves and be very smooth. The disadvantage is that a deadrise is too smooth, it will not rise to get out of the way of the wave. If a big enough wave hits it can swamp the boat, ie go over the top of the bow. The decks also do not look very seaworthy by the bow. Portholes down low and close to the bow, and big windows. Both of those are likely to be underwater in heavy seas.

post #22 of 125
It reminds me of yachts from the late 1970's, glad Ives was the head of design at Apple.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #23 of 125

Just needs a big paddle wheel at the side and reminds of the paddle steamer from River M with a lot of Is, Ps and Ss..lol

I think the hull is what screws it up and other half looks great.

post #24 of 125
The perpendicular bow angle is reminiscent of yachts from the late teens and 1920s. Consistent with that are the Frank Lloyd Wright style stacked offset flat roofs with deep overhangs. I'm not sold on the rather massive stern, but overall I find it distinctive and highly original. Modest in its lines compared to some of the floating monstrosities of the super rich. Refreshing. A boldly imagined amalgam of modern yacht technology with early 20th century minimalism. I like it. Very Steve, and a fitting floating monument to his single-minded artistic integrity.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #25 of 125
One more thing. The video on the linked site had music and style that almost had me in tears.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #26 of 125

Meh, the boatmaking industry was headed in this direction anyways. What's new and exciting about this?

1biggrin.gif

post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Meh, the boatmaking industry was headed in this direction anyways. What's new and exciting about this?
1biggrin.gif

Uh oh, we're getting closer to "Steve Jobs wants us to believe he invented the boat" comments. 1tongue.gif

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #28 of 125
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Uh oh, we're getting closer to "Steve Jobs wants us to believe he invented the boat" comments. 1tongue.gif

 

Xerox invented buoyancy, Steve Jobs invented the boat.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #29 of 125

Damn that navigation with the 7 new iMacs looks insane. They seem to be floating.. I wonder how they're mounted? There's glass behind them. 

post #30 of 125
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
They seem to be floating.. 

 

Only seem to be, huh? Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #31 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I really don't see how it differs from many other yachts.

Specifically, interestingly, this'n.

Yes, especially that one (the other yacht he did the styling on.!)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing, and you don't.

 

Don't be ridiculous.

Although Hodar clearly knows little about yacht design, Stark knows little more than him. He's a "stylist" on the project, not really the "designer." Stack isn't an architect, much less a marine architect. He simply produces some sketches, then knowledgable marine architects design and engineer the yacht to reflect a practical, working interpretation of whatever Stark's brain farts out! He's an arbiter of taste and trend more than anything. The seaworthyness of the yacht is the responsibility of the architect/builders.

post #32 of 125

I'm on a boat!

 

(Warning: Explicit language)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #33 of 125
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
…a marine architect.

 

George Costanza's dream job!


He simply produces some sketches, then knowledgable marine architects design and engineer the yacht to reflect a practical, working interpretation of whatever Stark's brain farts out!

 

So you didn't read the quote from the article.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #34 of 125
It looks gorgeous. As someone pointed out above, take a look at the video -- a lump in the throat is guaranteed.

My only quibble: I would have preferred black in place of the Norwegian wood color (although that looks beautiful too),
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

 

Is there some obsession with tech sites talking about Engineering like they know what they are talking about because they use a computer? It's right up there with the car analogies.

 

I'm sure the boat designers had never thought about the computational fluid dynamic patterns of force that their geometry will produce and thus this thing will drop like the Titanic on her maiden voyage. Or perhaps if you noted the video you'll see the change in slope on three distinct nonlinear surfaces, never mind the subwater geometry we aren't privy to seeing that will keeping the buoyancy well maintained. You can see the base is wider than the sides front which is butted off slopes away from that buttress to nearly 70% of the boat's length as the body widens out.

 

More than likely this yacht will feel like you're gliding and carving through the waters with very little sway.

post #36 of 125
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
It looks gorgeous. As someone pointed out above, take a look at the video -- a lump in the throat is guaranteed.

 

And you know, that's just a GarageBand loop. The very first chord hit, and I thought to myself, "Aww, a GarageBand loop?"… But it fit. And that was Steve, you know? It's who he was, what he was, and what he made others to be. Now, I'm not saying that Steve Jobs personally listened to every single loop in every single Jam Pack they put out. But I'll bet he listened to the "songs" they included therein (this was one of them), and I'll bet he listened to the music for iMovie Trailers.

 

Music's big for me, and when I first found GarageBand and Logic, I went through and I listened to every loop. Or near enough. I may have heard most of them just once, but whenever I hear one of those Apple loop show up in a commercial, a video, and—heaven forbid—an actual movie soundtrack, it sort of bugs me. I guess it's just from a 'laziness' perspective, but it's probably more that I can't put into words or don't have concrete in my mind.

 

But I don't think Steve would be like that. I mean, he picked (or trained people to know how to pick) things that had an emotion behind them. Loops that would either inspire people to create their own music like it or to say, "That's it," and use the loop itself. And this had piano, cello… 

 

Gosh dang it, it's not a standard loop. Must be in a Jam Pack, and I don't have them reinstalled here yet. I was going to comment on its name and see if it was appropriate, too. Well, good a reason as any to finally reinstall them. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #37 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So you didn't read the quote from the article.

Poor assumption. Of course I read it. But I read it with comprehension, which I assume you didn't (although anyone could be forgiven for not reading or understanding the article as it's a nearly incomprehensible mess. It's either terribly written or machine translated from some other language, or both.)

 

Anyway, the article says nothing about Stark having designed the hull, which he didn't. 

post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
He's a "stylist" on the project, not really the "designer." Stack isn't an architect, much less a marine architect. He simply produces some sketches, then knowledgable marine architects design and engineer the yacht to reflect a practical, working interpretation of whatever Stark's brain farts out! He's an arbiter of taste and trend more than anything. The seaworthyness of the yacht is the responsibility of the architect/builders.

He's not an arbiter of my taste, thank you.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #39 of 125
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Anyway, the article says nothing about Stark having designed the hull, which he didn't. 

 

Do you know this? And should it be the case, why are you operating under the assumption that the superstructure has nothing whatsoever to do with hydrodynamics?


Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/28/12 at 7:25pm

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #40 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It looks gorgeous. As someone pointed out above, take a look at the video -- a lump in the throat is guaranteed.
My only quibble: I would have preferred black in place of the Norwegian wood color (although that looks beautiful too),

Having a quibble is better than it giving you Norwegian wood.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands