or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands

Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And you know, that's just a GarageBand loop. The very first chord hit, and I thought to myself, "Aww, a GarageBand loop?"… But it fit. And that was Steve, you know? It's who he was, what he was, and what he made others to be. Now, I'm not saying that Steve Jobs personally listened to every single loop in every single Jam Pack they put out. But I'll bet he listened to the "songs" they included therein (this was one of them), and I'll bet he listened to the music for iMovie Trailers.

Music's big for me, and when I first found GarageBand and Logic, I went through and I listened to every loop. Or near enough. I may have heard most of them just once, but whenever I hear one of those Apple loop show up in a commercial, a video, and—heaven forbid—an actual movie soundtrack, it sort of bugs me. I guess it's just from a 'laziness' perspective, but it's probably more that I can't put into words or don't have concrete in my mind.

But I don't think Steve would be like that. I mean, he picked (or trained people to know how to pick) things that had an emotion behind them. Loops that would either inspire people to create their own music like it or to say, "That's it," and use the loop itself. And this had piano, cello… 

Gosh dang it, it's not a standard loop. Must be in a Jam Pack, and I don't have them reinstalled here yet. I was going to comment on its name and see if it was appropriate, too. Well, good a reason as any to finally reinstall them. 

That's interesting. I now see why it sounded familiar!

That said, I always judge music by its context -- how apt it is for the setting, and whether, given that, it moves me. For example, when I used to take my kids to a concert to hear the stuff that resonated for them, I never judged it against John Coltrane or John McLaughlin.

Whether it was 'lazy' is not relevant. Only whether it fits.

Judging by my reaction, it did.
post #42 of 125
More than anything else, this yacht symbolizes a very powerful and motivating philosophy. That one should derive passion and enjoyment out of the journey itself, rather than just at the destination.

Jobs knew that there was a good chance he would never live to see the yacht completed, but still went ahead with the process - and had fun with the process itself.

There are many of us lesser mortals who could probably benefit from this philosophy. Not just in the face of death, but also in the face of failure. There's many times when we stop ourselves from doing something, saying "what's the point". This example and the philosophy would make a great difference if we could imbibe the essence of it.
Edited by macarena - 10/28/12 at 7:34pm
post #43 of 125
Quote:

Do you know this? And should it be the case, why are you operating under the assumption that the superstructure has nothing whatsoever to do with this sort of thing?

If you had even the slightest knowledge of this subject you would not have to ask such obvious questions.

Yes, I do know he didn't design the hull. I also know he didn't design the power plant, drive train, structural elements, sub systems etc. etc. etc. I assure you he did no hydrostatic or hydrodynamic calculations on this yacht. He's had no training in naval engineering or architecture. His original design interest was with inflatable chairs etc. He did a number of small household products and became a "superstar designer" which is to say, he gets to take credit for "designing" things (some of which he actually does "all" of the design on.) He's a product designer who has become a brand.

To say he "designed" this yacht is not quite (but but almost) as silly as saying interior designers "build" houses.

post #44 of 125

There's a room on this thing dedicated purely to storing spinning beach-balls.

Edited by GTR - 10/28/12 at 8:36pm
post #45 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

He's not an arbiter of my taste, thank you.

Mine either. I meant that "in quotes."  ;-)

post #46 of 125
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
Yes, I do know he didn't design the hull.

Okay. Do you really know this? And what on the iPhone didn't Jonathan Ive design? 

I also know he didn't design the power plant, drive train, structural elements, sub systems etc. etc. etc.

Of course not. But in saying this, you're stating something else: the shape of the vessel isn't the only factor in its ability to weather waves. 

I assure you he did no hydrostatic or hydrodynamic calculations on this yacht. He's had no training in naval engineering or architecture. His original design interest was with inflatable chairs etc.

And Jonathan Ive designed toilets. Obviously nothing has changed, and he's still just designing toilets with screens in them. 

Come on, really? The article says the shape of the thing is what gives it that property. Are you claiming the article is lying, that the shape has nothing at all to do with the property (which is a separate point), or something else entirely?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #47 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Having a quibble is better than it giving you Norwegian wood.

Ah, I probably should have said 'maple.'

As far as wood color is concerned, I am more of an oak/cherry/teak kind of guy.

post #48 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Venus," the Philippe Starck-designed super yacht commissioned by late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs... the wheelhouse uses seven 27-inch iMacs running navigation, systems control and other seafaring software to assist in operating Venus...

Interested to know more about the use of Macs in these applications.  Anyone have experience?

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #49 of 125

Not only do we have a bunch of lawyers on AI commenting on every legal case Apple is involved in, but now we're also blessed with yacht designers who can give us their professional opinion on what's wrong with this yacht.

And the only reason there's something "wrong" with it is because it's associated with Jobs and Apple.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #50 of 125

Jonny Ive is a product designer who designs products. He is responsible for the ultimate form of products he designs. He doesn't do the engineering on Apple devices, nor does anyone assume he does. He doesn't claim to have designed everything that comes out of Apple, he takes credit for being the head of design. Although he is approaching superstar designer status, he doesn't slap his own name on anything out of apple, and he doesn't claim credit for designing things he hasn't.

Stark, as is often the case with self promoting artists and designers, has become a brand. He lays claim to have individually designed whole blocks of apartment buildings although he's not an architect. He's claimed to have designed a Ducati motorcycle, although he has little mechanical experience. If you think this is design, great! If you think Stark designed that yacht, great! If you think this is the same thing as Apple saying Jonny Ive is their head designer, then go ahead and believe it!

Just don't be surprised if designers aren't buying it and don't listen to you.

post #51 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Jonny Ive is a product designer who designs products. He is responsible for the ultimate form of products he designs. He doesn't do the engineering on Apple devices, nor does anyone assume he does. He doesn't claim to have designed everything that comes out of Apple, he takes credit for being the head of design. Although he is approaching superstar designer status, he doesn't slap his own name on anything out of apple, and he doesn't claim credit for designing things he hasn't.

Stark, as is often the case with self promoting artists and designers, has become a brand. He lays claim to have individually designed whole blocks of apartment buildings although he's not an architect. He's claimed to have designed a Ducati motorcycle, although he has little mechanical experience. If you think this is design, great! If you think Stark designed that yacht, great! If you think this is the same thing as Apple saying Jonny Ive is their head designer, then go ahead and believe it!

Just don't be surprised if designers aren't buying it and don't listen to you.

Hotels, restaurants, furniture, ships, cars, motorcycles...... www.starck.com
post #52 of 125

They couldn't launch the boat until Microsoft finally released Win 8. Those seven iMacs are running Windows 8 under Bootcamp. 

/s

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #53 of 125

Ha ha, Now Samsung has to get into the boat business or be left in Apple's wake!!

post #54 of 125

"According to reports, the roughly 80-meter long hull of the ship is made completely of aluminum..."

Gee I wonder if that was one single piece...like a unibody???

post #55 of 125
Only iPod shuffles for the craftsmen who built that super expensive yacht? IPod nanos at a minimum. Who do they think built it? Foxconn?
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #56 of 125
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
Only iPod shuffles for the craftsmen who built that super expensive yacht?

Yeah, they also got paid to do it. 

Come the heck on. I was really hoping this nonsense wouldn't spill over from 9to5. 

post #57 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ha ha, Now Samsung has to get into the boat business or be left in Apple's wake!!

Quote:

Come the heck on. I was really hoping this nonsense wouldn't spill over from 9to5. 

I think he may have been joking...

post #58 of 125

I saw the photo flicking by and before going back to it my head started singing:  Frank Lloyd Wright meets the sea.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #59 of 125
Quote:

Okay. Do you really know this? And what on the iPhone didn't Jonathan Ive design? 

I worked in the design industry for 10 years, and yeah, what DESuserIGN expressed about Starck is pretty much the consensus in the design community and it's pretty accurate.

The correct comparison would be Steve Jobs taking credit for Jon Ive's hard work which the latter had admitted the former did often.

post #60 of 125
I am not a Phillippe Starck fan but I am a boat fan. This boat is totally impressive and I would love to see it for real but I can't say I like it. Like much of PS's work I find it ostentatious and over designed. The boat is also ridiculously self indulgent as a project. I'd like to hear what a psychoanalyst would view this boat in the context of Steve Jobs in his dying days.
post #61 of 125
Quote:

How dare them to also give them money too. If you're going to give a gift from your own company you might as well make it really rad or don't do it at all.

post #62 of 125
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
How dare them to also give them money too. If you're going to give a gift from your own company you might as well make it really rad or don't do it at all.

Is this really what people have devolved to? Whining about the size of a gift? I repeat: COME ON. 😩

post #63 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not a Phillippe Starck fan but I am a boat fan. This boat is totally impressive and I would love to see it for real but I can't say I like it. Like much of PS's work I find it ostentatious and over designed. The boat is also ridiculously self indulgent as a project. I'd like to hear what a psychoanalyst would view this boat in the context of Steve Jobs in his dying days.

Self-indulgent? All mega-yachts are self-indulgent regardless of the design. Why should we need to analyze this one moreso than any other yacht built by a billionaire?

post #64 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Self-indulgent? All mega-yachts are self-indulgent regardless of the design. Why should we need to analyze this one moreso than any other yacht built by a billionaire?
True. But SJ is the only billionaire I'm interested in (that I can think of right now). Also, he was no normal billionaire, living a fairly modest life by all accounts. Then, out of left field, in his dying days comes this.
post #65 of 125
How long before Schmidt and Ballmer have boats made of plastic and magnesium?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It would be awesome if they named it "One more thing" instead. Venus kinda sucks.

Agreed.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 125
I'm curious how this boat handles choppy conditions. Looks like the windows are a bit low compared to the waterline. I hope it doesn't end up being some kind of bay-queen. Can it handle an ocean voyage?
post #68 of 125
Thank goodness this boat isn't run on Android systems. Some bored crew member in the engine room (because boats don't have basements) would have decided to upgrade to ICS, and then with the engine stuttering, would proceed to tell everyone there's nothing wrong with the motor.
post #69 of 125
I'm not convinced that boat is sturdy enough to repel a zombie invasion.
post #70 of 125

Remember those famous two words... "Think Different".

And my two words... Love it!

post #71 of 125
Quote:

Is this really what people have devolved to? Whining about the size of a gift? I repeat: COME ON. 😩

The gift is literally too small in this case.

post #72 of 125

My first impression was whoa...is that a boat? It sorta reminds me of an Apple Store.

If no one uses this thing, they certainly could throw in a few stores worth of kit and sail it around to places without an Apple presence. It'd be the ultimate store.

post #73 of 125
Hmmm, they are billionaires, and they gave out shuffles and cards, how.... sweet...

It's clean, that's all I would say about it. To each their own.
post #74 of 125
Quote:

And you know, that's just a GarageBand loop. The very first chord hit, and I thought to myself, "Aww, a GarageBand loop?"… But it fit. And that was Steve, you know? It's who he was, what he was, and what he made others to be. Now, I'm not saying that Steve Jobs personally listened to every single loop in every single Jam Pack they put out. But I'll bet he listened to the "songs" they included therein (this was one of them), and I'll bet he listened to the music for iMovie Trailers.

Music's big for me, and when I first found GarageBand and Logic, I went through and I listened to every loop. Or near enough. I may have heard most of them just once, but whenever I hear one of those Apple loop show up in a commercial, a video, and—heaven forbid—an actual movie soundtrack, it sort of bugs me. I guess it's just from a 'laziness' perspective, but it's probably more that I can't put into words or don't have concrete in my mind.

But I don't think Steve would be like that. I mean, he picked (or trained people to know how to pick) things that had an emotion behind them. Loops that would either inspire people to create their own music like it or to say, "That's it," and use the loop itself. And this had piano, cello… 

Gosh dang it, it's not a standard loop. Must be in a Jam Pack, and I don't have them reinstalled here yet. I was going to comment on its name and see if it was appropriate, too. Well, good a reason as any to finally reinstall them. 

Try this, Diary 1:-

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/in-spite-of-me/id359817752

Whole song:-

http://www.myspace.com/michellebonillamusic/music/albums/in-spite-of-me-15555126

Edited by hill60 - 10/29/12 at 1:52am
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #75 of 125
Hmm, a design fail in my view, and I am a fanboi.
post #76 of 125

Wow, they gave them the smallest iPod they could... how generous.

I'm just not sure about the iMacs in the cabin. I would have used macbooks which are more resistant to vibration and movement. The boat could take a violent wave and BAM no more hard drives.

I don't really like Starck, the person. He's just an old designer with a huge team that does all the work in his place and he just applies his name on the project at the end, when he maybe just drew a line... nothing spectacular.

Edited by ClemyNX - 10/29/12 at 3:54am
post #77 of 125
I think it's cool. I'd like to see what she does at sea.
post #78 of 125
Oooh iPod touch! Must've cost them at least $5 each wholesale.
post #79 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Oooh iPod touch! Must've cost them at least $5 each wholesale.

How much do you think they will be worth in twenty years or so, as a collectable complete with engraving and note?

post #80 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not my taste in boat design, but it seems very SJ.

Agree. Minimalistic but cool looking. Very recognisable, too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands