or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands

Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands - Page 3

post #81 of 125
too bad he's not alive to see it
post #82 of 125

I actually like it.  Very art deco.  Definitely has a 1920's look about it.

As for Steve Jobs, the billionaire with the modest lifestyle. Ha HA.  What with the private Jet and the New Mercedes SL55 every six months so he could avoid having to have a number plate.  I'm not actually being critical, I just dislike the over-use of rose tinted glasses and attempts at beatification.

An iPod shuffle was more a slap-in-the-face than a gift.  They should have been the Touch at the very least, or no gift at all would have been preferable.  What would Touch's have cost?  Let's see: a net worth of 11 B at 5% per annum, that's a bit over 1.5 M a day, or close to 63,000 each hour.  Shuffles at cost?

post #83 of 125
If it were clad in iron instead of aluminum it could have been called "Monitor 2".
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

... An iPod shuffle ...

I suggest to the mods just banning anyone making these comments. Clearly trollish behavior, and we're never going to see a worthwhile comment from these people, so no loss at all to the forum to see them gone. Think of this article as a litmus test.

post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I really don't see how it differs from many other yachts.

Specifically, interestingly, this'n.

Sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing, and you don't.

Have you ever been on a boat, in the ocean?  Ever?  Maybe a small boat on a river or a lake?

Here's a hint:  Every ocean going vessel makes an attempt to avoid flat-shaped hulls, and minimize flat walls. 

Why?  Certainly a flat wall on a hull is easier to make than a curve.  Certainly it's easier to build the sides of a hull flat, than curved.

Unless you plan on sailing on mirror-flat seas, a flat hull will aborb the imact of a wave.  Curved hulls deflect some portion of this energy.  Flat walls are effectively large sail areas.  It's basic engineering - and this "ocean going" yacht appears designed to cruise a small lake, or simply be a floating hotel in a marina.  It's a yacht that doesn't appear capable of handling seas with waves of any significant size.  Additionally, the square sides will present a very large problem with maneuvering in any kind of windy situation.  This much is apparent to ANYONE with the most fundamental understanding of engineering - and not an Apple fanboi.

Even the material in the hull is going to be a poor choice.  Why do you suppose the metal used on ships is primarily iron and bronze (with sacrificial zinc bars on the interior?).  Aluminum corrodes, and salt-water is a highly corrosive liquid to use around Aluminum.  Aluminum is also susceptable to fatigue fracture; which is an undesirable trait for a ship surrounded by water.  Sorry, the ocean isn't going to stop moving, just because SJ designed a boat.

If you want to see a gorgeous Yacht, that can go just about anywhere - I would use the "Octopus" as the golden standard.  The ONLY impressive thing this yacht can boast is that it was largely designed by Steve Jobs.  This yacht is not something I would hold as a standard, in any sense of the word (well, maybe as a foolish way to spend an obscene amount of money on).

post #86 of 125
Beautiful lines. Definitely inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright, specifically the Robie House.
post #87 of 125

Fantastic design.

It mixes both Starks ideas with some of Jony Ive's (the iMac in the roofs).

A shame for the shuffle though...

post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I saw the photo flicking by and before going back to it my head started singing:  Frank Lloyd Wright meets the sea.

That was my reaction at first as well... and despite actually liking Wright. In fairness, this is a miserable bastardization of FLW, but I am sure the windows will leak in deference to the man.

The only way I can imagine the boat performing on the sea is if it had a bulbous bow below the waterline... and I could imagine the pain that would have caused Jobs.

It might not be the ugliest ship in the sea... But it is no Maltese Falcon!
post #89 of 125
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
The gift is literally too small in this case.

You must be a dream to interact with. 

Funny thing about gifts: you don't get to decide that.

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
I suggest to the mods just banning anyone making these comments. Clearly trollish behavior, and we're never going to see a worthwhile comment from these people, so no loss at all to the forum to see them gone. Think of this article as a litmus test.

We don't really have a hard rule against trolling, so you see… too much of it. Write up an example of one in Feedback (with a poll, perhaps?) and if the response is great enough we could try to get its approval from the site owners.

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post
Every ocean going vessel makes an attempt to avoid flat-shaped hulls, and minimize flat walls. Unless you plan on sailing on mirror-flat seas, a flat hull will aborb the imact of a wave. Flat walls are effectively large sail areas.  It's basic engineering - and this "ocean going" yacht appears designed to cruise a small lake, or simply be a floating hotel in a marina. Additionally, the square sides will present a very large problem with maneuvering in any kind of windy situation.

I suppose you'll tell me this is different for some arbitrary reason. I see… about 900 feet of flat hull and about 300 feet straight up of wall. 

…not an Apple fanboi.

Having what to do with anything, exactly? No, really, explain.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/29/12 at 7:58am

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Only iPod shuffles for the craftsmen who built that super expensive yacht? IPod nanos at a minimum. Who do they think built it? Foxconn?

If it was Schmidt's yacht, the workers would have gotten free Google+ accounts with complimentary cloud storage, plus one year of free access to pirated content on Google (scanned) Books.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #91 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

Hmmm, they are billionaires, and they gave out shuffles and cards, how.... sweet...
It's clean, that's all I would say about it. To each their own.

Shuffles are awesome music players, and you're acting like its some kind of insult. Sounds like that spoiled 16-year-old who complained daddy bought them an Acura instead of a Ferrari for their birthday.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #92 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Fantastic design.

It mixes both Starks ideas with some of Jony Ive's (the iMac in the roofs).

A shame for the shuffle though...

It's a shame when people think the Shuffle is not a worthy gift. Or else somebody is missing the point of a GIFT and expects to be showered in diamonds and retina displays. What a shame.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 125
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
It's a shame when people think the Shuffle is not a worthy gift. Or else somebody is missing the point of a GIFT and expects to be showered in diamonds and retina displays. What a shame.

Anonymouse was absolutely right. This single point seems to have brought out the trolls more than even directly Apple-related stuff. 

It's pathetic. They should be ashamed. But, then again, we have a list of nearly 50 points. They've been doing a fair job of avoiding those points now that they know we know all about them, and it doesn't really leave them much to say otherwise that isn't instantaneously outed as being the stupidest thing imaginable.

On the other hand, the stupidest thing imaginable is usually pretty funny. 

post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

An iPod shuffle was more a slap-in-the-face than a gift.  They should have been the Touch at the very least, or no gift at all would have been preferable.  What would Touch's have cost?  Let's see: a net worth of 11 B at 5% per annum, that's a bit over 1.5 M a day, or close to 63,000 each hour.  Shuffles at cost?

Wow, that's not the point of a gift. A gift is a gesture of thanks. And you have convert a gesture of thanks into cost of manufacturing. Bet you're fun to shop for on your birthday. "no, mom, this Hugo Boss suit probably costs $18 to make in Bangladesh. This gift is a slap in the face, mom!"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #95 of 125

Looks like a building, dropped on the side...

1hmm.gif

post #96 of 125
I build a yacht for Steve Jobs and all I got was this lousy iPod touch.
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Even the material in the hull is going to be a poor choice.  Why do you suppose the metal used on ships is primarily iron and bronze (with sacrificial zinc bars on the interior?).  Aluminum corrodes, and salt-water is a highly corrosive liquid to use around Aluminum.  Aluminum is also susceptable to fatigue fracture; which is an undesirable trait for a ship surrounded by water.  Sorry, the ocean isn't going to stop moving, just because SJ designed a boat.

Here is an image of another aluminum hulled ship. The littoral combat ship (LCS).File:USS Independence LCS-2 at pierce (cropped).jpg

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #98 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

You mean in addition to the +2 years job with full pay & benefits building it...

post #99 of 125
The iPod is a nice enough gift. The thank you note certainly doesn't look very Jobsian with all CAPS.

The ship design...not my personal taste, but to each their own.

post #100 of 125

Ahoy!

This yacht was not designed by me, or for me, in fact I had zero input WRT this yacht from concept to conclusion. Further, I have not spent one cent on it. Hmmmmm, I'm not really showing any standing here when it comes to criticizing, applauding, or even commenting on this yacht. Will that stop me? Of course not!

It's Job's yacht, it suited his taste, and he paid for it, which should be the end of the story. It is not a design that I would like, but then I'm not a minimalist. My preference would have been for a more traditional design. Naturally nobody cares WTH my preferences are, nor should they. However, this yacht has no nautical personality at all, IMO. I would not want to ride out a storm on this yacht, and of course that will not happen to Mrs. Jobs, and/or her guests, they would safely be miles away from such experiences, if the ship ever encounters them. This yacht looks like an oversized bathtub model, designed for the sake of design, more than the sake of a seagoing vessel. From it's appearance, it looks like it could have been created without so much as a visit to a chandlery. 

If somebody thought that this story was worth posting, then my comments are just as worthy of being read. This will conclude my efforts at wasting time, for now. 

post #101 of 125

I think the Venus design is notable.  It's not outrageous, nor is it mundane.  The more I see of it the more I like it.  Definitely unconventional as yachts go.

My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118 and either of Giorgio Armani's yachts the Mariu or the Main.  The Wally looks like a weapon and has 17,000 horsepower from three gas turbine engines.  The Armani boats are elegant inside and out.  But mostly the inside - as beautiful as one of his suits.

post #102 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Shuffles are awesome music players, and you're acting like its some kind of insult. Sounds like that spoiled 16-year-old who complained daddy bought them an Acura instead of a Ferrari for their birthday.

No, not really.  Obviously any gift is always a nice gesture, certainly what I've taught my children.  I'm just more generous by nature and have certainly given nicer things for far less than this project.  I'm sure that they probably gave out a bunch of these as I'm sure there were a ton of workers involved, but I would have done something more unique and creative.  I'm certainly not ashamed or sorry to have this opinion, I'm sure most who read the article thought "wow, a shuffle, how cool is that!", but in the end it is the thought that counts.

My daughter learned something interesting on her summer job scooping gellato, some of the most well to do folks, were the most clueless and downright cheap.  Maybe that's how they made their fortunes, or maybe they've never scooped gelato for minimum wage, who knows.

post #103 of 125
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118

"Flat wall sides. Terrible. Obviously not made by anyone who cares about boats." lol.gif

It's actually my favorite, too.

post #104 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Do you really believe that?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #105 of 125

What all of those yachts lack is deck space and the accoutrements that go with it. Nothing quite like a stroll on the deck, with drink in hand, passing the bathing beauties lounging in the deck chairs and chaises. They're just large boats, as opposed to yachts, IMO. 

post #106 of 125
iShip = ugly
post #107 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmenke View Post

iShip = ugly

Looking forward to seeing yours.

post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
The thank you note certainly doesn't look very Jobsian with all CAPS.

(pssst... Steve is dead... he didn't write the note.)

post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.
Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

Have you looked below the water line?  You see, boats actually float on water. They go up and down with the water.  Thus, it's below the waterline that counts. It's built by Feadship. Perhaps they could use some of your expertise as surely the most prestigious of yacht builders is lacking in the engineering department. 

If you are referring to breaking waves, no design is going to take them much better or worst. It's a pounding either way. That's why 99% of these boats time is spent on a dock. With the owners flying to them when they want to play boaters. 

post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Wow, they gave them the smallest iPod they could... how generous.
I'm just not sure about the iMacs in the cabin. I would have used macbooks which are more resistant to vibration and movement. The boat could take a violent wave and BAM no more hard drives.

I don't really like Starck, the person. He's just an old designer with a huge team that does all the work in his place and he just applies his name on the project at the end, when he maybe just drew a line... nothing spectacular.

about the ipod shuffle As a gift...
i was wonder That too... but there's got to be some social protocol that states that you give the smallest item that you make as a "token gift"and perhaps giving an expensive item is offensive...

Perhaps this concept is Along the lines of if you can start giving expensive items as token gifts ...where do you you stop ....Tiffany's diamonds?, gold bouillons ...? if you give the smallest item or budget item or token item in your product line that solves the whole Judging the gift size...
post #111 of 125

I'm sure it's a fantastic yacht that performs very well and will be a pleasure for passengers and crew to experience and operate.

I'm sure it's very seaworthy and built soundly and of long lasting and quality materials.

I'm sure Steve would be happy with it and that his family will enjoy it (although it does seem a bit out of character for him.) On the other hand, he's lived a pretty low key life (for a billionaire) and good for him that he had fun with a big project before he died.

The iPod gifts were a kind gesture of thanks and if anyone got one and doesn't appreciate it, tough titty. Those of us who didn't get one, didn't do anything to deserve one and aren't involved (so who cares what we think.)

As far as "flat surfaces," you can be sure the hull is a continuously variable curve, as hydrodynamic shapes always are. Above the water line the hull is pretty straight, which probably makes it easier to use the interior space.

I really like a few design projects PS has been involved with (particularly the Ducati, his first motorcycle) but mostly I don't at all care for his aesthetic.

I've always been amazed SJ was into him, because PS's esthetic seems ostentatious and showy rather than elegant and functional in it's so called "minimalism." But Steve has always had a bit of that himself (Next box, puck mouse, cube Mac, etc.)

The styling on the yacht is interesting, but not my taste. I really dislike the polished metallic lead edge on the bow crest and the basically boxy look (typical PS) seems a bit elephantine. On the other hand, I do like old Volvos (they're boxy but they're good!") and I like some of the details like the anchors and some of the other fitting details (or lack there of.)

To me, the most interesting thing is the overall look of the craft. Despite its chunky size, it has a distinctly serene and placid feel about it that is elegant. "Serene and placid" are something I've never seen in modern yachts. Since the overall feel is a PS contribution, I would have to say it is a design success for him (even if most other aspects of the yacht are not to my taste.)

post #112 of 125

Wild looking ship. I'm curious what the design goals were. Optimized for radar stealth, speed, shallow water operation?  I need to read about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here is an image of another aluminum hulled ship. The littoral combat ship (LCS).File:USS Independence LCS-2 at pierce (cropped).jpg

post #113 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I think the Venus design is notable.  It's not outrageous, nor is it mundane.  The more I see of it the more I like it.  Definitely unconventional as yachts go.

My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118 and either of Giorgio Armani's yachts the Mariu or the Main.  The Wally looks like a weapon and has 17,000 horsepower from three gas turbine engines.  The Armani boats are elegant inside and out.  But mostly the inside - as beautiful as one of his suits.

My personal favorite yachts, from the Royal Huisman yard, are Lethantia (nee Borkumriff III) and Borkumriff IV. Only 1072 hp on Borkumriff IV, but 1164 sq m of sail area. On a more human scale, Spirit Yachts builds some of the most beautiful boats being built today.

post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Ahoy!

The proper term is: Alloy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Wild looking ship. I'm curious what the design goals were. Optimized for radar stealth, speed, shallow water operation?  I need to read about this one.

What I suspected, it's a trimaran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_combat_ship

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #115 of 125
The iYacht%u2026 What a graceless thing of breathtaking ugliness she is. She'd look more at home dry docked in a suburban strip mall and filled with orthodontists than sailing the high seas.
post #116 of 125

It's the Steve Jobs version of Noah's Ark so all the VPs can safely escape when Apple starts to take on water.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Touché! ROFL 

post #118 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What I suspected, it's a trimaran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_combat_ship

"Independence" is the trimaran, "Freedom" is a mono-hull. However, the biggie is "Zumwalt":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt_class

Cheers

post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The perpendicular bow angle is reminiscent of yachts from the late teens and 1920s. Consistent with that are the Frank Lloyd Wright style stacked offset flat roofs with deep overhangs. I'm not sold on the rather massive stern, but overall I find it distinctive and highly original. Modest in its lines compared to some of the floating monstrosities of the super rich. Refreshing. A boldly imagined amalgam of modern yacht technology with early 20th century minimalism. I like it. Very Steve, and a fitting floating monument to his single-minded artistic integrity.

I hate to correct you since I agree with you...all except the Frank Lloyd Wright bit.  And it's not "early 20th century minimalism".  It's actually called "Modernism" with a capital "M".  Minimalism was an Art movement, not architecture, and it came much later in time than Modernism.  What people call modern in this day/age is not anything remotely related to Modernism.  What you should call design of this era is "Contemporary".

This yacht design definitely was inspired by the master French Architect and Artist, Le Corbusier.  He called his houses the "Machines for Living".  Stripping away all decoration and anything non-essential and exposes and accentuating the core components of the building.  It's widely known amongst historians and Architects that LC's designs were highly inspired by steamers from the "Machine Age".  Now it seems we've come full circle with "Venus".  There were other Architects associated to this era, Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe to name a few.

post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I hate to correct you since I agree with you...all except the Frank Lloyd Wright bit.  And it's not "early 20th century minimalism".  It's actually called "Modernism" with a capital "M".  Minimalism was an Art movement, not architecture, and it came much later in time than Modernism.  What people call modern in this day/age is not anything remotely related to Modernism.  What you should call design of this era is "Contemporary".

This yacht design definitely was inspired by the master French Architect and Artist, Le Corbusier.  He called his houses the "Machines for Living".  Stripping away all decoration and anything non-essential and exposes and accentuating the core components of the building.  It's widely known amongst historians and Architects that LC's designs were highly inspired by steamers from the "Machine Age".  Now it seems we've come full circle with "Venus".  There were other Architects associated to this era, Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe to name a few.

Whelp, those images look as yachtsie as the Venus does. lol.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands