or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 
As Apple sold out of its launch inventory of all iPad mini models, online retailer Amazon made a direct assault on the new 7.9-inch tablet, with a large ad on its front page saying the Kindle Fire HD offers "much more for much less."

As the iPad mini was available for preorder at Apple's website all weekend, Amazon ran an advertisement on its front page comparing the Kindle Fire HD to the iPad mini. It panned Apple's new, smaller iPad as having a "standard definition, low-resolution display" with fewer pixels per inch than its Kindle Fire HD.

Amazon also dismissed the fact that the iPad mini has one mono speaker, while the Kindle Fire HD has dual stereo speakers. Amazon's tablet with a 216-pixel-per-inch screen starts at $199, while the iPad mini has an entry price of $329.

Amazon


In addition to a short comparison of the devices, Amazon's front page also prominently features a quote from Gizmodo calling Apple "ballsy" for charging more for the iPad mini with a lower resolution screen. Gizmodo and Apple have been at odds since the website purchased a prototype iPhone 4 and disassembled it before the product was announced, while the site also pushed the iPhone 4 "antenna-gate" controversy.

Amazon also said that the Kindle Fire HD had its biggest day of sales last Wednesday, the day after Apple announced the iPad mini and its $329 starting price. Sales of the Kindle Fire HD were up three times what they were in the previous week, the company said in a statement to AllThingsD.

The online retailer does not release its sales data, so it's unknown exactly how many of the Kindle Fire HD it sold. But the company has consistently said the Kindle Fire is the best selling product on its entire store.

Also unknown are how many iPad mini units Apple will be able to build ahead of Friday's launch. But whatever inventory the company will have via its online store has now been sold entirely.

All iPad mini models, in black and slate as well as white and silver, in capacities from 16 gigabytes to 64 gigabytes, are all advertise to ship in two weeks. The white and silver model sold out almost immediately, while the entry 16-gigabyte black and slate iPad mini took 35 hours to sell out.
post #2 of 99
I love what imore.com did here:

amazon_kindle_fire_vs_ipad_mini_v2-2.jpg
post #3 of 99

you would have to have the IQ of an ant to buy a Kindle Fire HD over an iPad.  Kindle Fire runs a proprietary version of Android.  It is locked into Amazons services.  All your activity is logged to Amazon.  The UI responds sluggishly as all Android devices do as the OS architecture does not allow for fast responses to the GUI layer let alone the proprietary Amazon GUI layer on top of that.  Then you have major security problems that Android has.  So yes, you have to be dumber than a cock roach to buy a Kindle Fire HD.

post #4 of 99

Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #5 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing.
Seriously not sure how smart it is giving Apple free publicity on amazon's website. For people where price is the #1 consideration well they probably weren't looking at an iPad anyway. I doubt Apple will respond but I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response that never mentioned Amazon or Fire by name.
post #6 of 99

Regardless of the quality of the iPad mini vs. the Kindle Fire, this is the problem with Amazon selling its own products. This is proof they are steering customers towards one product vs. another. While this is an example of them doing it with a product that they are making, how are we to know they aren't doing the same thing on products they receive a larger profit on and steering consumers to products that are not in our best interest because they will be more profitable because of it.

post #7 of 99
Putting the two next to each other like that really shows how Apple has so much more screen as less bezel.
post #8 of 99

The iMore piece is nice.

And the real killer is the last bit: media appliance vs. computing appliance.

Even if you only want an iPad mini for content consumption, it will always be able to do more.

The Kindle Fire is just a dedicated Amazon-only media conduit while the iPad mini is a complete, standalone device.


Edited by brutus009 - 10/29/12 at 7:38am
post #9 of 99
The Ipad Mini offers 29.6 square inches of screen, or 35 percent more screen real estate than other 7in tablets at 21.9 square inches. The IPS in cell screen looks better despite its lower pixel density.
 
Cant wait to see all those tablets align together at the local best buy, I have the feeling the mini is going to make a very good impression. I dont think people realise how small a 7" 16x9 tablet is, its tiny.
 
And Amazon is the most cryptic companie out there, they would not say anything or give any metrics at the last earning call.  They lost a truck load of money, the stock is trading at insane fundamentals and yet it keeps going up.  Apple on the other hand answers all the questions and explain itself, and while they didnt meet the street inflated expectations, they still did $8.6/sh in profit, forecast 52 billions of sales for Q1 and answer why there Q1 margins are going to be lower. Apple is trading at 14 trailling PE, 11 foward PE and 9 forward PE ex cash, and its going down? Apple has better fundamentals than the average DowJones stocks, you know the blue chips defensive stocks that have zero growth prospect. Let me tell you the wake up call on Amazon is going to be brutal, I dont when it will come, but its coming. 
 
Apple is trading a 14 current PE, here are some example of other stocks multiple:
 
Amazon: 3322 (not a typo)
Facebook : 900
AT&T : 45
Verizon : 41
Microsoft : 15
Mcdonald: 16
Honeywell : 22
Caterpilar: 14
DuPont : 14
GE : 16
 
The market is just plain insane at the moment. Apple is trading like people fear its going to turn into the next RIM next year. Another plus for the Apple stock is share buy backs.  They could compensate the lower margins with buybacks and still come up with a outstanding EPS.   Apple is suppose to buy back 10 billions worth of shares starting this october.
 
 
 

Edited by herbapou - 10/29/12 at 6:15am
post #10 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Putting the two next to each other like that really shows how Apple has so much more screen as less bezel.

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed, too. Such a waste of space on the Fire there.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #11 of 99
Comparing Apples with Lemons.
post #12 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditie View Post

Regardless of the quality of the iPad mini vs. the Kindle Fire, this is the problem with Amazon selling its own products. This is proof they are steering customers towards one product vs. another. While this is an example of them doing it with a product that they are making, how are we to know they aren't doing the same thing on products they receive a larger profit on and steering consumers to products that are not in our best interest because they will be more profitable because of it.

 

I recall a similar concern regarding Google's search algorithms and whether their results were skewed, but I believe that this had to do with net neutrality, though I could be terribly wrong.

 

But in regards to Amazon, is that really a problem?  I mean, brick and mortar stores set up their floors to do the same thing.  For all I know, maybe there's a law that you speak in reference to, but can't they do what they want with their website?  I mean, if there is a legal reason that they have to present all products equally, I haven't heard of it.  Still, if they do show favoritism, I think it would discourage small businesses from trying to compete on Amazon and it would become a self-defeating practice.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Putting the two next to each other like that really shows how Apple has so much more screen as less bezel.

 

I agree... but I reserve judgment on screen quality until I can get my hands on one.

I want to love it, but I fully expect 163ppi to be a deal breaker.

post #13 of 99

+Camera.  Kindle Fire has no rear camera.  Huge difference  

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #14 of 99

Gizmodo due to past 'indiscretions', probably does not have access to Apple devices before the public does.  I am sure if Gizmodo had a chance to obtain a 'stolen' iPad mini a few weeks ago, they would have had time to see what a wonderful experience it provided over a discount Kindle Fire.

 

Gizmodo buys stolen tech. Ballsy.

post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Putting the two next to each other like that really shows how Apple has so much more screen as less bezel.

because it* was the "natural evolution" until now. Just wait for the natural evolution of next year.

However I'm not sure those can be as light as the iPad mini. The Kindle Fire HD is almost 100g heavier.

Edit: *the more bezel of the iconic 9,7" iPad design


Edited by mac-user - 10/29/12 at 6:20am
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing.

I was going to say the same thing.

 

Check out this article that was linked to on daring fireball about amazons draconion abuse of their power

 

Funny how they have deliberately covered up the extra width of the iPad screen.

 

No one is going to buy into this bullshit except maybe a few grandmothers buying gifts.

 

It's also untrue to say the iPad is standard definition because it is a higher pixel density than the iPad 2

post #17 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The IPS in cell screen looks better despite its lower pixel density.

 

Have you seen it in person?

It sounds like you speak from experience.

post #18 of 99

Or to put it another way, the iPad mini has a screen area that is 35% bigger than the Kindle HD but the actual number of pixels is only 30% lower. 

 

Of course this takes no account of aspect ratios, where 4:3 is optimal for everything other than viewing movies...

post #19 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

 

I recall a similar concern regarding Google's search algorithms and whether their results were skewed, but I believe that this had to do with net neutrality, though I could be terribly wrong.

 

But in regards to Amazon, is that really a problem?  I mean, brick and mortar stores set up their floors to do the same thing.  For all I know, maybe there's a law that you speak in reference to, but can't they do what they want with their website?  I mean, if there is a legal reason that they have to present all products equally, I haven't heard of it.  Still, if they do show favoritism, I think it would discourage small businesses from trying to compete on Amazon and it would become a self-defeating practice.

 

Right, it is very likely they do it to some degree just like anyone would, but when you are the biggest show in town and you are blatantly doing it where there is no deniability left you are in a situation of opening a can of worms that is neither good for consumers or businesses.

 

Amazon I believe would still define themselves as an online retailer and as such they have to maintain the trust that they are going to help the consumers do what is best for the consumer. When you start coloring outside those lines (such as using advertising on your main page to sell your product vs. a competitors) you are no longer letting the consumer vote for what is best and forcing what you want on them.

post #20 of 99

Amazon is seizing on and leveraging the ignorance of its customers, and using the mistaken meme that the iPad Mini is a 7" tablet…

 

We know it's closer to an 8" tablet, and its screen is 35% larger than the 7" Amazon sells!

 

The iPad Mini lands squarely between the two Fire HD tablet sizes… The Fires are at 7" and 8.9", and because of its screen ratio, the 8.9" Fire would be a much more honest comparison to the iPad Mini… When you put the more expensive Fire 8.9" model alongside the iPad Mini, you get screens that are a lot closer to the same size. 


The base 8.9" Fire costs $299 (with ads) and $314 without. So, only $15 less for a more "comparable" model. But as soon as you get past the resolution and number of pixels (only one of a number of ways we measure "display quality"), the Fire becomes a much lesser value pretty quickly.

 

iPad has HD video recording, dual cameras, more content flexibility, 275,000 dedicated iPad apps…

 

The list lengthens pretty quickly.

 

Yes, the Fire HD 8.9" is a decent competitor, but when compared honestly, and with the very minor price difference, the iPad Mini wins handily...

post #21 of 99
Sounds like Amazon has a case of the 'supposed-tah's'.
post #22 of 99
Gizmodo - the site that knowingly and illegally held a stolen iPhone prototype and was prosecuted for same offense and has since been banned from Apple announcement events has come out against a clearly superior Apple product? What a surprise!
post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I doubt Apple will respond but I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response that never mentioned Amazon or Fire by name.

Apple responds with the iPad Nano.

Game over.
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
post #24 of 99
You can have stereo speakers or dual speakers, but what are dual stereo speakers? 1oyvey.gif
post #25 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Seriously not sure how smart it is giving Apple free publicity on amazon's website. For people where price is the #1 consideration well they probably weren't looking at an iPad anyway. I doubt Apple will respond but I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response that never mentioned Amazon or Fire by name.

 

Even that would show weakness on Apple's part. They have no need.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #26 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

 

Have you seen it in person?

It sounds like you speak from experience.

 

I didnt but I know someone who did.  But thats not the point, I have right in front of me an iphone 4s and an iphone 5, they both have the same pixel density but the 5 use in-cell and IPS.

 

If you look straight down at the phones the difference is marginal, but as soon as you get an angle, even a small one, the 2 screens are worlds apart. The 5 have a lot less reflections and the screen is much more vivid and crisp. Even when look straight down, the 5 beats the crap of the 4s if there is a lot of light in the room.

 

The mini used the same screen tech has the iphone 5, and at the same pixel density as the iphone 3gs, it will put the 3gs screen to shame.


Edited by herbapou - 10/29/12 at 7:47am
post #27 of 99
"you would have to have the IQ of an ant to buy a Kindle Fire HD over an iPad." ... "Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing" ... "Such a waste of space on the Fire there."

And people wonder why Apple fans have a reputation of being snotty, condescending and arrogant ...
post #28 of 99

I have the Kinole fire HD and an iPad.  The kindle is good but for ease of use you just can't beat the iPad. I have pre ordered the iPad mini. Guess which I'll be using most.

post #29 of 99

Guess I have the IQ of an ant.  The Kindle fire is a nice product. More problems using the web on the Kindle, but it's good for books, and I do like amazon for e-books. However you are correct. the iPad is superior.

post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

+Camera.  Kindle Fire has no rear camera.  Huge difference  

 

I never use the camera, it is nice to have though. Like Maps, I never use that either. So, for me, I don't see Maps as a real negative or cameras as a real positive. iOS and the apps I see as a HUGE plus, and Apple's legendary support and hardware. I don't think iOS gets enough credit, apps aside. It's an elegant, minimal OS, and I love it. I've used Android, and I think it's an inelegant mess compared to iOS, and Amazon's Android fork is as ugly as sin.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Gizmodo - the site that knowingly and illegally held a stolen iPhone prototype and was prosecuted for same offense and has since been banned from Apple announcement events has come out against a clearly superior Apple product? What a surprise!

 

To be honest, I don't think that's fair. Gizmodo, regardless of the past would publish this anyway.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditie View Post

Regardless of the quality of the iPad mini vs. the Kindle Fire, this is the problem with Amazon selling its own products. This is proof they are steering customers towards one product vs. another. While this is an example of them doing it with a product that they are making, how are we to know they aren't doing the same thing on products they receive a larger profit on and steering consumers to products that are not in our best interest because they will be more profitable because of it.

This is an interesting point. 

post #33 of 99
Funny thing is, iPad® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. - don't they have to honor that/show that on Amazon?
post #34 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubston View Post

You can have stereo speakers or dual speakers, but what are dual stereo speakers? 1oyvey.gif

That sounds like 4 speakers to me.

We haven't seen reviews of this comparison (yet) but Apple's mono speaker in iDevices has been louder and sounding better than the stereo speakers in competing devices. What good are stereo speakers spaced between your ears?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 99

Screw GIZMODO, Screw AMAZON, Screw THE INTERNET. The internet is full of idiots. It seems like every idiot who can use CMD is working for some website, writing his anti-apple opinions, and then putting them on the front page of one of the most visited websites on the web. Gizmodo is full of Fandroids and people payed to write anti-apple articles. I just searched 'iPad Mini' on Amazon and the 4th result was the 7" Fire HD.

 

Whatabout cellular? Whatabout a decent app store? What about the fact that Amazon sells books, and their books app/service is inferior to Apples. Whatabout compatibility? Whatabout the fact that Apple is a respected computer, phone and tablet seller and makes it so that all of their devices seamlessly work together? Amazon makes nothing but Kindles.

 

Here is a quote from Parsigi2 over on 9to5forums:

 

"People are complaining that it's not retina, but I have one thing to say. When the 3rd gen iPad came out, people were all saying "this is the same thing as the iPad 2. You can't even tell the difference between the screens. Nobody was even complaining about the 2's screen." This is seriously what everybody said, and now that the mini is here, people are complaining about the screen. It has a higher PPI than the iPad 2 screen (which everybody said nobody was complaining about, and is not that differentiable from the 3rd gen) but people choose to complain since it's Apple and that's their job."

 

Now, I'm too lazy to write that myself, but he is completely right. People (people being the soccor moms who think they're 'cool' because they have an iPad, or the teachers (*cough* my english teacher *cough*) who think they're f ucking geniuses cuz they can use settings.app)  weren't excited when the iPad 3 was released about the Retina display, why should they be excites/upset about the non-retina display of the Mini?


Edited by logandigges - 10/29/12 at 7:52am

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #36 of 99
Quoting Gizmodo is like quoting responses to a blog post or a YouTube video. Have you read their articles? They read like they were written by a kid stuck in detention after school. It's pretty hard to take them seriously.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro35 View Post

Guess I have the IQ of an ant.  The Kindle fire is a nice product. More problems using the web on the Kindle, but it's good for books, and I do like amazon for e-books. However you are correct. the iPad is superior.

Nope you are a person who buys what fits your needs and you don't need to justify anything to the morons on this site. 

post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


...I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response..

 

They already have; it's called iPad mini ;¬)

post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

**** GIZMODO, F UCK AMAZON, F UCK THE INTERNET. The internet is full of idiots. It seems like every idiot who can use CMD is working for some website, writing his anti-apple opinions, and then putting them on the front page of one of the most visited websites on the web. Gizmodo is full of Fandroids and people payed to write anti-apple articles. I just searched 'iPad Mini' on Amazon and the 4th result was the 7" Fire HD. Whatabout cellular? Whatabout a decent app store? What about the fact that Amazon sells books, and their books app/service is inferior to Apples. Whatabout compatibility? Whatabout the fact that Apple is a respected computer, phone and tablet seller and makes it so that all of their devices seamlessly work together? Amazon makes nothing but Kindles. Here is a quote from Parsigi2 over on 9to5forums: "People are complaining that it's not retina, but I have one thing to say. When the 3rd gen iPad came out, people were all saying "this is the same thing as the iPad 2. You can't even tell the difference between the screens. Nobody was even complaining about the 2's screen." This is seriously what everybody said, and now that the mini is here, people are complaining about the screen. It has a higher PPI than the iPad 2 screen (which everybody said nobody was complaining about, and is not that differentiable from the 3rd gen) but people choose to complain since it's Apple and that's their job." Now, I'm too lazy to write that myself, but he is completely right. People weren't excited when the iPad 3 was released about the Retina display, why should they be excites/upset about the non-retina display of the Mini?

Your point was almost lost with all that cursing at the beginning of your post. You do have a point. Everyone was saying the iPad 3 was no different from the 2 as far as they could see. Now that mini has the iPad 2 display condensed people are complaining it's not retina. 

post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I do not mean to be a dick, but I would rather have HD than a non HD screen.  That is the major reason why I would never buy the mini.  I am not saying I am buying the Fire either.  Apple wants everybody to buy the new toy and then upgrade to the HD version in a year or less.   

Most people claimed they couldn't tell the difference when the iPad 3 came out. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price