or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2 - Page 4

post #121 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

MG Siegler has a better explanation: Carriers won't let Google push Android updates on regular Android phones. So Google releases an unlocked brand to showcase its latest Android software. But carriers only allow this on their terms (in this case, no LTE). Apple got their way because they "fought for the user. Google sold us out to sell some phones. Now the devil is collecting."

Well of course Mr. Siegler has a better explanation. I'm sure Daniel does too. MG's being just his typical self. Obviously Apple had iPhones to sell and deals to make. Google had no phones to sell. Somewhat different bargaining position, don't you think?

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/29/12 at 2:05pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #122 of 189

Give it 3 months before the nerds lust after something with more 1337 specs.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #123 of 189
They also won't profit on the device directly, but rather through your information and ad preferences...Shady...
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #124 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

iPad mini width: 134.7 mm

Nexus 10: 177.6
You're mistakenly comparing the width of the 10" display Nexus 10 to the iPad Mini rather than the full-size iPad.
[/quote]

I am? I read Apple here, and Nexus 10 here

Those 40 mm difference in width will make a deciding difference, I think...
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #125 of 189
I must say what a stupid day to announce this. Here in the USA all the news coverage is focused on hurricane Sandy. This will get zero news coverage.
post #126 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You're mistakenly comparing the width of the 10" display Nexus 10 to the iPad Mini rather than the full-size iPad.
[/quote]
I am? I read Apple here, and Nexus 10 here
Those 40 mm difference in width will make a deciding difference, I think...

Didn't you say iPad Mini? See your original post. The Nexus 10 is a full-size tablet. The Nexus7 is closer in screen size to the iPad Mini.

Apple's iPad:

Height:
9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
Width:
7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
Depth:
0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
Weight:
1.44 pounds (652 g)

Nexus10 (Note that dimensions are in landscape while iPad is in portrait):
Size W: 10.39 in (263.9 mm) - taller than iPad
H: 6.99 in (177.6 mm) - narrower than iPad
D: 0.35 in (8.9 mm) - thinner than iPad
Weight 1.33 lbs (603 g) - lighter than iPad

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/29/12 at 2:12pm
post #127 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Interesting - Now Google has a real brand in Nexus, with 3 products spanning different sizes and utility. Particularly interesting that they use LG to make Nexus 4, Asus to make Nexus 7 and Samsung to make Samsung 10. Have they heard of a company called Motorola?

Yes, they have. It seems to be their patent-holder company.

post #128 of 189
Quote:

The Nexus devices aren't meant as "flagship" models. They've been used as proof-of-concept models used to preview and launch new OS versions. "Flagship" models have been left to the Android licensees themselves to develop. 

That is such bullshit.  The Nexus 7" tablet is NOT there flagship tablet product?   Get real  

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #129 of 189
Quote:

Size W: 10.39 in (263.9 mm) - taller than iPad
H: 6.99 in (177.6 mm) - narrower than iPad
D: 0.35 in (8.9 mm) - thinner than iPad
Weight 1.33 lbs (603 g) - lighter than iPad

They advertise landscape mode as the most common way to use it with their Height and Width dimensions. That to me is a huge reason why these products just don't get it. Except for the occasional video and for playing Kingdom Rush (awesome tower game) do I use my tablet in landscape.

As for your other size comparisons they are pretty much pointless unless you can argue that less battery life is better than being 49g heavier for the performance envelope.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #130 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

That is such bullshit.  The Nexus 7" tablet is NOT there flagship tablet product?   Get real  

If you mean meant to compete with and out-perform what the licensees can offer, or the most fully-featured Android tablets that can be built then no it is not. I expect some Android licensee to soon to step up with their own 7-8" tablet with more compelling features. The Nexus7 and Nexus10 are meant to showcase Android itself as a valid tablet OS choice IMO.  That in turn will give developers a reason to focus on tablet-specific apps, which helps push the overall Android effort forward. Licensees are expected to build on the hardware/OS match specifications.

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/29/12 at 2:47pm
post #131 of 189

So if someone wants a smartphone with the most up-to-date OS, fastest connectivity and one that will be able to receive OS updates when they are released, the iPhone 5 is the only choice?

As this is a "Developer Phone" not "Flagship" phone, are Android developers doing so poorly that Google thinks they can't afford to pay for LTE?

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #132 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
As for your other size comparisons they are pretty much pointless unless you can argue that less battery life is better than being 49g heavier for the performance envelope.

I'm not arguing anything other than the OP (PhilBoogie) was confused in his product comparison choice when it came to dimensions.

post #133 of 189
Quote:

They advertise landscape mode as the most common way to use it with their Height and Width dimensions. That to me is a huge reason why these products just don't get it. Except for the occasional video and for playing Kingdom Rush (awesome tower game) do I use my tablet in landscape.

with most of such hardware specs being so similar, they don't have much impact on consumer decisions. you probably need a >20% varience for most folks to notice it. the 8" iPad mini screen is 35% bigger than a 7" Android tablet, so yes, that does really matter.

the fundamental spec that does matter is the aspect ratio. for tablets, 4:3 is defnitely better for some things, starting with web browsing, the #1 user activity, and maps, and at least ok for everything. 16:10(9) is only defnitely better for video/movies, medicore for web browsing and maps, and not really good at all for anything requiring portrait mode. Android, and now MS, made a fateful choice to go with 16:10(9). that will impact consumer choices - more toward Apple than toward them.

post #134 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why only T-Mobile?

I think it's because Verizon and AT&T want all new devices to have LTE; Verizon has actually stated that all new smartphones on its network must have LTE.  Sprint and T-Mobile are probably more willing to accept non-LTE phones, but Google would have to build a CDMA model to work on Sprint (or Verizon for that matter), and that would not be a justifiable cost when GSM is the dominant platform around the world.  That leaves T-Mobile as the only on-contract option.

All that aside, I think it's clear that Google intends to make most of its sales without a contract since the phone can be had for only $299.

post #135 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

How does the iPhone compare to the Nexus in price?

Do you prefer buying turd because it's cheaper than donut?

Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #136 of 189
Nexus 4 might be my next.
post #137 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

So if someone wants a smartphone with the most up-to-date OS, fastest connectivity and one that will be able to receive OS updates when they are released, the iPhone 5 is the only choice?

As this is a "Developer Phone" not "Flagship" phone, are Android developers doing so poorly that Google thinks they can't afford to pay for LTE?

Nexus phones get updates all the time, not just once a year. Just today they unveiled new functionalities and pushed them to existing Nexus devices right away.
post #138 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

what (inductive charging) standard does it use 

Qi specification

post #139 of 189
There are some GL Benchmarks out for the Nexus 10. Faster than an A6 or A5X, but it's gonna get killed by the A6X (if Apple's claims of 2X the A5X hold true).

Man, it's gotta suck when your latest "Saviour" for a processor still can't catch an Apple SoC. the nerds are going to be raging over this.
post #140 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No kidding. The 4S was trashed and mocked for not having LTE, and panned for being 'years behind', a 'joke', etc. Yet more than a year later, Google's flagship Android phone doesnt have it, even when the newest iPhones/iPads do, and everyone is falling over themselves to justify it. 

LTE was, and still is, very overrated.  I think the 4S was mocked for having slow HSPA+.  HSPA+ 21 and 42 absolutely flies on most networks.  

post #141 of 189
Quote:

I think the explanation is that they wanted the unlocked Nexus 4 to be a 'world phone'.  Not a world phone that has LTE that only works in a few parts of the world (I believe LTE is still quite fragmented).  

post #142 of 189
Quote:

Google's flagship product is its search and cloud products (Documents, G+, Maps, etc...).  

The devices are to show off their services, and get them in as many hands as possible.  No, the Nexus 7 isn't their 'flagship product' as they're not a hardware company.  Plus it was always intended to be in the budget segment of the market (though the specs are quite good for the price).  

post #143 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

LTE was, and still is, very overrated.  I think the 4S was mocked for having slow HSPA+.  HSPA+ 21 and 42 absolutely flies on most networks.  

I am not sure about others, but my experience with AT&T in my area of the US is that real world HSPA+ speeds have gone down substantially the last few months. Places I used to get 8Mbs, I now get 0.2Mbs. Where as a iPhone 5 with LTE gets 12Mbs in the same location.  My gut tells me AT&T may be throttling back HSPA+ to free up bandwidth for LTE on their wired backbone.  So while LTE may be overrated, AT&T in my area at least seems to be killing of HSPA+ in favor of LTE driven service.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #144 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I think the explanation is that they wanted the unlocked Nexus 4 to be a 'world phone'.  Not a world phone that has LTE that only works in a few parts of the world (I believe LTE is still quite fragmented).  

How many markets/carriers is the iPhone 5 on? Surely that counts as a 'world phone'. Why is LTE fragmentation such an issue now for those who are interested in Android phones, whereas last year the when iP4S came out it wasn't?

post #145 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I must say what a stupid day to announce this. Here in the USA all the news coverage is focused on hurricane Sandy. This will get zero news coverage.

So you're discussing products that no-one's heard about?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #146 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Google's plan is to suck all the hardware profits out of the Android ecosystem and go for maximum volume. And these manufacturers are too stupid to understand that basic goal

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Wow... you should go fast and tell them.

It is amazing how there are people thinking they know more than big companies.

Sorry but Red Oak is absolutely right! Google, along with Amazon, are quickly driving innovative markets like smartphones and tablets to commodity status. The hardware manufacturers are idiots to let this happen as it also destroys their own margins / branded opportunities in the process. Its the same thing that MSFT did to the PC industry - no one makes money!!!!! Except in the wintel world, MSFT. It doesn't take a business genius to see this. Meanwhile, Google is stealing our own personal data, making billions off of us, while not compensating us, and while invading our privacy. Meanwhile they destroy other companies as they sell these products at a loss, just like Amazon.

post #147 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Sorry but Red Oak is absolutely right! Google, along with Amazon, are quickly driving innovative markets like smartphones and tablets to commodity status. The hardware manufacturers are idiots to let this happen as it also destroys their own margins / branded opportunities in the process. Its the same thing that MSFT did to the PC industry - no one makes money!!!!! Except in the wintel world, MSFT. It doesn't take a business genius to see this. Meanwhile, Google is stealing our own personal data, making billions off of us, while not compensating us, and while invading our privacy. Meanwhile they destroy other companies as they sell these products at a loss, just like Amazon.

I agree as well. But Google had no choice. Amazon did it first, and since it was on an Android Fork and was outselling the other Androids, there was danger that the Android Tablet market, would really be the Amazon Tablet market. Amazon doesn't include Google Money making services.  So Google really only had two choices, Surrender the market or launch it's own low/no margin tablet. They did the latter.

Their 10" is actually is more than I thought it would be. $400 leaves a lot of room for the Kindle Fire 8.9" at $300.

post #148 of 189
Nexus 4, my new phone. Good job Google 1smile.gif
post #149 of 189
Quote:

How many markets/carriers is the iPhone 5 on? Surely that counts as a 'world phone'. Why is LTE fragmentation such an issue now for those who are interested in Android phones, whereas last year the when iP4S came out it wasn't?

It's not an issue for most Android users, or most users in general.  And indeed it is a minus against the Nexus 4 for some users.  But for me it's not.  

But I travel alot.  When I bought my HTC phone last year, I could have got an HTC with LTE, or an LG with LTE from my carrier.  Instead I opted for an HTC with dual band HSPA+ 42.  My real world speeds are 10-20 mbps, which is faster than the broadband cable I have at home.  Plus, whenever I go to South America, Europe, or Asia, I get full connectivity (assuming the proper SIM card and service of course).  

Honestly, I wish carriers would have put more effort into HSPA+ (whose theoretical speeds are just as high as LTE), or WiMAX.  LTE is designed to lock in users, WiMAX would have been the democratic choice (hence why WiMAX is most popular in developing countries, and was axed in the US).  

post #150 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubernabei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Wired charging = need wire.

Wireless charging = need wire (for the charger) AND the charger!

Doesn’t do it for me.

So wired chargers need just a wire and not a charger? Huh? Where does the wire plug into?

Wireless charging is a bit gimicky, but if the feature doesnt cost any more, it is nice to just plop your phone down on a surface instead of fiddling with wires that will eventually wear out.
Your right. Just plopping it down on a surface is definitely easier. Where do I plop it down in the car (because using it for GPS driving directions eats batteries in any device)? Where do I plop it down in my hotel room? I still need the cable and adapters when I travel. So yes it's a cool feature, but only at home and office (which would probably suit a wide range of users). However, I don't see this as the direction of things to come.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #151 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't tell my lady during her climax it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaah not aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

As long as it isn't "is it in yet" you're good.
Or you were wondering why she was always spelling "run", over and over and over....

post #152 of 189

Ha, I was right.

If you play a 1920x1080p video at 1:1 (meaning no stretching or scaling) on both the Nexus 10 and an iPad 3 this is the actual size of the "movie" on your screen.

iPad: 7.265" x 4.1" = 29 square inches.

Nexus: 6.4" x 3.6" = 23 square inches.

They should have stuck with a 1920x1080 screen instead. Still very high resolution and good enough for any Apps you'e ever want to run. And if you're into watching movies you can at least use the entire screen. 2560x1600 is such an odd size.

It's good for the spec whores to say they've got the highest resolution screen, but that's about it.

post #153 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ha, I was right.

If you play a 1920x1080p video at 1:1 (meaning no stretching or scaling) on both the Nexus 10 and an iPad 3 this is the actual size of the "movie" on your screen.

iPad: 7.265" x 4.1" = 29 square inches.
Nexus: 6.4" x 3.6" = 23 square inches.

They should have stuck with a 1920x1080 screen instead. Still very high resolution and good enough for any Apps you'e ever want to run. And if you're into watching movies you can at least use the entire screen. 2560x1600 is such an odd size.

It's good for the spec whores to say they've got the highest resolution screen, but that's about it.

Just wait until we see the performance of that GPU and battery life from playing a 1080p movie. I'm guessing the iPad (4) will win.

post #154 of 189
Quote:

Just wait until we see the performance of that GPU and battery life from playing a 1080p movie. I'm guessing the iPad (4) will win.

This is what I think too. But the nexus would had probably beat the iPad 3 by a small margin.  Now we know why Apple release the iPad 4 by surprise.

post #155 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is what I think too. But the nexus would had probably beat the iPad 3 by a small margin.  Now we know why Apple release the iPad 4 by surprise.

I hope they hope we get to see comparisons with the iPad (3), too. My guess is that it wouldn't be as efficient, but that 32nm on the Nexus 10 compared to 45nm on the iPad (3) would allow for Google to make the Nexus 10 performance much higher for a similar power draw, but I still can't rule out the iPad (3) still being a better performer after the repeated lackluster efforts with GPU performance from Android-based devices over the years.

post #156 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That makes no sense at all. Why would anyone watch Video without scaling? I watch 720p video on my TV all the time. It would be silly to watch it in small box in the middle of the screen and not scale to fit the screen.

Watching 16:9 (scaled like a normal person) video on the Nexus 10 will be a little bigger. Who cares. The Nexus 10 has some nice specs, no biggie.

There is more to this than spec-sheet/Price.

At $400 it hasn't generated anywhere near the buzz the $200 Nexus did. It is just too close in price and capability to a 4th Gen iPad, which has the mindshare, and a hugely more robust ecosystem.

post #157 of 189
Quote:

Google's plan is to suck all the hardware profits out of the Android ecosystem and go for maximum volume. And these manufacturers are too stupid to understand that basic goal

What are the alternatives?

It's either Google or license Microsoft's even tighter conditions or try and go toe-to-toe with Apple in an ecosystem. Not going to happen.
post #158 of 189
Quote:

Who said anything about "Flagship" models!"? What a pathetic excuse. Apple doesn't have a flagship model, just an iPhone. It has LTE. Nexus does not have LTE.

apple has iphone 4

apple has iphone 4s

apple has iphone 5

one of those is the flagship.  Do you know which one?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #159 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What Microsoft accomplished, was to make computing affords affordable to billions.

Google may pull off the same with Android.
post #160 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

apple has iphone 4

apple has iphone 4s

apple has iphone 5

one of those is the flagship.  Do you know which one?

Incorrect. iPhone 5 is the current model. The 4S and 4 are superseded models.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2