or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2 - Page 5

post #161 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Do you prefer buying turd because it's cheaper than donut?

I may prefer a powdered donut because it is cheaper than a glazed donut.

post #162 of 189

This is the 175 post or there about about Android on your glorious Apple forum. For people who are nto interested in Android you guys sure discuss it a lot.

No one cares if you don't like the new Android devices... no one is forcing you to buy them. However if you do... enjoy them as that is what they are there for.

As I look in my review mirror I can barely see Apple anymore...... enjoy playing catch up.

post #163 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

This is the 175 post or there about about Android on your glorious Apple forum. For people who are nto interested in Android you guys sure discuss it a lot.

No one cares if you don't like the new Android devices... no one is forcing you to buy them. However if you do... enjoy them as that is what they are there for.

As I look in my review mirror I can barely see Apple anymore...... enjoy playing catch up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Snvpo5rJ4

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #164 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So the Verge knocked the 4S for not having LTE, yet they devote a whole column to explain why the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE. And people still claim these tech sites don't have an anti-Apple bias? lol.gif

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

LOL that article makes absolutely no sense. The iPhone 5 is (soon going to be) available unlocked with LTE, in a form compatible with all US carriers. It's "pure" -- not hobbled with any carrier garbage. Apple can do it. Why can't Google? This article sounds like an excuse.

post #165 of 189

So did Jelly Bean fix the latency issues that are a main reason Android is such a piece of shit OS? Did Google deliver on their promised low-latency audio, at least?

post #166 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just wait until we see the performance of that GPU and battery life from playing a 1080p movie. I'm guessing the iPad (4) will win.

You were also guessing it used an OLED pentile display too weren't you?1wink.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
post #167 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Oh, didn't hear this in yeeeeears.
Now your username makes sense.

Haha. Can't believe it's 20 years since I saw them live.
post #168 of 189

Nexus 10 (exynos 5 Dual) vs Ipad 4 (A6) performance.  Is this true???

Exynos 5 Dual  scores and comparison

SunSpider: (lower is better)

V8: (higher is better)

Octane: (higher is better)

Exynos 5 Dual ( Apple A6 ( Intel Atom Z2460 ( Snapdragon S4 ( Tegra 3
SunSpider 668.5 908 1086.6 1608 1737.7
V8 3871 1533 2209 1507 1162
Octane 3465 1672 2048 1280 1131

* The benchmark scores listed above are courtesy of AnandTech.

post #169 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It isn't bias. The market for this phone is really clear in my mind and I'm getting very worried for Apple with this latest Google response. It's beginning to feel a little like 1995 around here again.

Apple absolutely needs LTE in their flagship phone of which they produce one a year and also it is the phone that justifes fat margins and a minimum price of $650 per phone.

The Nexus line has not been a true flagship line but more like a baseline platform target for where Android should minimally be for the next year.

Apple has had two quarters now where the first hit their targets but did not hit their whisper number and now a quarter where they just outright didn't hit their own targets. It is clear that the slowing of growth with regard to Apple is OUTSIDE of the United States. In the United States, subsidy model helps hide the true cost of buying an iPhone. Outside the U.S. it is a completely different story. This phone is clearly targeted for stunting and stopping the growth of Apple outside the U.S. It is $300-$350 out the door, barely half the price of an iPhone. It has the latest 3G standard but doesn't sweat having a divided 4G standard.

It is clear U.S. carriers are using 4G/LTE to push people into more expensive plans, take away their data options, lock phones to their network again, etc.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 OUTSIDE the U.S. has 3G and a quad-core processor. Within the U.S. it has a dual-core and LTE. Samsung has had no problem selling them worldwide.

Google's eco-system is inferior to Apple's but they are now beating Apple on price, beating them on most specs and it appears their OS is at least on par if perhaps not better depending upon your view.

That doesn't mean Apple dies overnight. It doesn't mean Apple has no momentum to sustain them.

It does mean we should be concerned. Apple has already fired their holiday season shot. This isn't six months later and we all don't mind waiting until close to Christmas knowing that Apple will produce something amazing again.

This....this is six days later.

Fully agree.  I see this as an emerging threat to Apple.  I'll ride the stock as long as its good.  But in the long run, I am skeptical.  While there's no certainty, I can see a rerun of Windows-Mac episode.

A lot of Apple blogs are US and more broadly, first world centric.  The reality, however, is that, this is not where the growth markets are anymore.  And given long term economic trajectories, it's unlikely that substantial growth will happen in the first world for years to come. But today's growth markets are tough slogging for Apple.  China is a notable exception.    But Apple is going to find India/South Asia, South-East Asia and Africa far tougher to crack.

And the competition (not just the Google Nexus lineup) has a winning strategy here.  Just undercut on price.  Mobile users in that part of the world rely on secondary markets to allow them to pay for updates every year.  They don't rely on subsidy plans....particularly given the shabby state of personal credit markets there.  At $300, the initial layout will be really cheap, and the disposal price will be even lower (so more buyers).  And this is isn't for run of the mill crappy Nokias (which many in those areas have already paid more than $300 for, in the past).  This is decent hardware (even if it's not accepted as such by the finicky members of this forum). 

I see this as a brilliant strategy on the part of Google and the Android OEMs (Nokia is pursuing a somewhat similar strategy with Windows Phone).  They will target markets that Apple has no desire to compete in, or is struggling to do so in.  They'll aim to capture Apple's potential future users and get them to commit to their ecosystem before Apple can gain traction.  And it's going to be tough for Apple to compete with a phone, mini-tab and full size tablet that are all $100 more expensive (25% to 50% more depending on the product) each.  Oh and consumers don't really care that much about the "ecosystem" in that part of the world.  App makers really haven't targetted them wholesale to begin with.  So the app disparity is less.  And buying media content (music, movies, etc.) is exceptionally rare, rather than the norm.  So you won't find too many who are worried about their iTunes library.

I am curious to see how Apple will attack these markets.  But so far, I don't think they are even trying.  They don't need to.  They sell every device they maket.  But the day is coming, when this won't be true anymore.  Hopefully, by then, my AAPL will be well past the $1000 mark.....

post #170 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You were also guessing it used an OLED pentile display too weren't you?1wink.gif

I wasn't. I was using the history of GPU performance on Android. I didn't think that a 10" display could be OLED at a cost effective price yet, but I also didn't care.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #171 of 189
Quote:

I wasn't. I was using the history of GPU performance on Android. I didn't think that a 10" display could be OLED at a cost effective price yet, but I also didn't care.

Damn it. Yet another day goes by without catching you . . .1tongue.gif

post #172 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I must say what a stupid day to announce this. Here in the USA all the news coverage is focused on hurricane Sandy. This will get zero news coverage.

That's the point. They don't want it to get news coverage. 

post #173 of 189
The Nexus 4 is the 4th iteration of the Nexus line of phones.
post #174 of 189
Will preorder the Nexus 4 the second I can. Amazing device.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #175 of 189
Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

Wow, those specs are crazy. Although it does not seem fair to compare it with the A6 as its a phone processor. It should be compared to the A6X

post #176 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Wow, those specs are crazy. Although it does not seem fair to compare it with the A6 as its a phone processor. It should be compared to the A6X

It won't be much different as those are web benchmarks based on CPU. A6X has the same CPU with beefed up GPU.

Though you have to recognize it isn't all CPU, part of it is new version of Android/Chrome that is now faster.

Pure CPU, the A15 running at 1.7GHz is definitely going to be faster than a Apple Custom Krait like core running 1.4 GHz.

post #177 of 189
Originally Posted by period View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the AAPL stock being $1000 some day, which I doubt will ever happen.

Why?

post #178 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by period View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the AAPL stock being $1000 some day, which I doubt will ever happen.

Why?

Because they would split it long before that happens.

post #179 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Evidence?

post #180 of 189

Really? The last split was in, what, 2004. And we only heard one hinting of a split rumor recently. It wasn't picked up or confirmed by anywhere else.

post #181 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Really? The last split was in, what, 2004. And we only heard one hinting of a split rumor recently. It wasn't picked up or confirmed by anywhere else.

It doesn't make sense that apple has this huge part of its fan base that can't afford to buy one share. Wouldn't they want to attract more investors, even those who have only a few hundred to invest at a time?
post #182 of 189
It doesn't make sense that apple has this huge part of its fan base that can't afford to buy one share. Wouldn't they want to attract more investors, even those who have only a few hundred to invest at a time?

I've been told that we don't matter at all in that regard, and that people who buy shares that do matter "can afford them at this price".

post #183 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

Anand actually has a Nexus 10 now and their performance preview doesn't show numbers like that. I think the above numbers are for Chromebook and the CPU runs lower clock-speed in Nexus 10:

Nexus 10 gets:

SunSpider: 1384 ( Lower is better)

Octane: 2748

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

post #184 of 189

Nexus 4-Beautiful, memory not TOO much of an issue, for the price.

Nexus 7-No comments. Does it need any? It beats the iPad Mini hands down (And I'm an Apple fanboy.)

Nexus 10-Ugly, ungainly. I'd rather get an iPad 4. And that's not the fanboy in me speaking.

post #185 of 189

Twitter reports say Nexus4 sold out within an hour in both Australia and the UK, with lack of LTE being a US issue rather than international. US launch later today.

EDIT: Now buyers in France and Spain report sold out as well.

Edited by Gatorguy - 11/13/12 at 8:12am
post #186 of 189
Some of the arguments are incredibly well built... Apple really needs to act, and act fast. You just cannot sell less for more... It worked so long, I too felt "obligated" to keep everything "Apple" but at today's price tag, and lack of innovation that the competition delivers, how can one resist? Apple is doing the same things to keep costs as low as everybody else... but where as the others use it, to pass it on to the customers (lower price), apple uses it to boast huge profits and cash reserves. This will be the downfall (no it won't, apple will react in time) of apple's "No1 spot".
post #187 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Twitter reports say Nexus4 sold out within an hour in both Australia and the UK, with lack of LTE being a US issue rather than international. US launch later today.

EDIT: Now buyers in France and Spain report sold out as well.

Hold up! So the US market's LTE is more advanced that most of the world that LTE speeds only matter in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjunkie View Post

Some of the arguments are incredibly well built... Apple really needs to act, and act fast. You just cannot sell less for more... It worked so long, I too felt "obligated" to keep everything "Apple" but at today's price tag, and lack of innovation that the competition delivers, how can one resist? Apple is doing the same things to keep costs as low as everybody else... but where as the others use it, to pass it on to the customers (lower price), apple uses it to boast huge profits and cash reserves. This will be the downfall (no it won't, apple will react in time) of apple's "No1 spot".

Bigger display, better display tech, LTE unlike the brand new Nexus 4, and going with a better HW all around that no one can match is doing less? Really?

post #188 of 189
Quote:

Hold up! So the US market's LTE is more advanced that most of the world that LTE speeds only matter in the US?
Bigger display, better display tech, LTE unlike the brand new Nexus 4, and going with a better HW all around that no one can match is doing less? Really?

I dunno. You tell me if the US LTE is more advanced as you're much more aware than I am. The only thing I can say for certain is US LTE is a different standard. I don't remember now what argument you were making for LTE/4G/HESPA+

post #189 of 189
"Bigger display, better display tech, LTE unlike the brand new Nexus 4, and going with a better HW all around that no one can match is doing less? Really?" So... this is true for all their tablets and phones? or are you somehow (inaccurately) using just one specific product to try and squeeze out a point?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2