or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Scott Forstall's refusal to sign iOS Maps apology letter contributed to departure, sources say
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scott Forstall's refusal to sign iOS Maps apology letter contributed to departure, sources say

post #1 of 167
Thread Starter 
According to numerous reports from inside sources, Apple's departing iOS chief Scott Forstall refused to sign an apology letter regarding the shortcomings of iOS Maps, possibly contributing to the executive's ousting.

Unnamed sources familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, CNN and The Verge that Forstall's actions following the release of iOS 6 and the ensuing iOS Maps debacle could have sealed his fate at Apple.

Passbook 1
Departing Apple SVP of iOS Software Scott Forstall demonstrating the iOS 6 Passbook app.


It was reported earlier on Monday that Forstall, along with SVP of Retail John Browett, would be leaving Apple, representing a major shift in the company's leadership. While the reasoning behind the departures will likely remain confidential, speculation has suggested the two executives failed to perform their duties in a manner befitting the Cupertino tech giant.

The most recent rumblings have come from insiders who claim Forstall, who is in charge of iOS Software and thus responsible for Maps, refused to sign an apology letter sent out by Apple shortly after the OS was released and subsequently panned by reviewers and consumers alike. When the letter came out, the signature of Apple CEO Tim Cook stood alone, with Forstall's noticeably absent.

Sources told WSJ that the executive argued Apple could forego an apology, and likened the situation to an antenna attenuation problem with the iPhone 4, dubbed "antennagate." A corresponding report from The Verge suggests Forstall denied the issues with iOS maps were significant enough to cause such widespread criticism.

While Forstall was known to be abrasive when dealing with colleagues and created friction with other company heads, late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs was able to manage his sometimes polarizing nature. It seems Cook either had a harder time dealing with Forstall or simply saw it fit to excuse him from Apple due to a number of reasons. And it's quite possible that Forstall's refusal to apologize for the Maps debacle was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
post #2 of 167

AND RIGHTLY SO!

Screw that. They don't have to apologize for ANYTHING. He knows how good it WILL be; why would he apologize for that? That's like Einstein's parents apologizing because their two year old was 'unruly'. Put it in context and it's not really important.

post #3 of 167

Let the douchebag speculations begin.

post #4 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AND RIGHTLY SO!

Screw that. They don't have to apologize for ANYTHING. He knows how good it WILL be; why would he apologize for that? That's like Einstein's parents apologizing because their two year old was 'unruly'. Put it in context and it's not really important.

They did have to apologize. Just as I was stating since the first Beta, it wasn't the same experience that they showcased during the demo. Whether that is Forestall's doing or not, Apple had to apologize for raising expectations well above was feasible for their entry into a maps service.

Now Apple Maps is good, it's not Google Maps good on the backend, but it's still good with many great aspects to it, and as we've discussed ad nauseum they had no choice but to release this year to bring iOS out of the lack of TbT and bitmaps that we would have been saddled with for another year if they had stuck with Google Maps.

So giving Forestall the benefit of the doubt here and suggesting that he wanted a more timid Maps demo that didn't happen and sometimes you have to take one for the team so I think he should have signed the apology.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #5 of 167
There's any number of reasons why Forstall is no longer with Apple. I doubt the Maps issue was the sole reason, if even a reason at all. As the article says, we'll never really know why.

It will be interesting to see how the "new" management works to keep Apple on course.
post #6 of 167
I have to say I did not find the program nearly as bad as some tried to make it. In fact for me it was better at routing me than the Google Maps app for iOS was.
post #7 of 167

I wouldn't have signed it either. It was a bullshit apology letter that validated the hyper-sensationalized, click-whore articles and noise made by thousands of trolls. Sure, the product isn't perfect. But the letter was worded in a way that would have made it very difficult for me to sign if Id worked on the product for years and was proud of what was accomplished. It was basically 'yeah, our product sucks, we're sorry but we'll try better next time.

 

**** that. I wish Forstall the best whatever he does. I believe that after Jobs, he's the most responsible for Apple's post 2007 explosion. That credit can't go to Ive. Macs have always had great hardware design, that hasnt increased their sales in any major way. Apple's current success is 95% attributable to iOS and the appstore. And Forstall had done an insanely incredible job with that, making them the most successful mobile OS and digital store on the planet. Not something to be scoffed at. iOS has also gotten steadily more powerful and feature filled, making careful changes while also preserving simplicity and intuitiveness. Thats also huge. The unceremonial dismissal of Forstall makes me sick, as is all the giddiness about his dismissal. Good thing these forums weren't available when SJ was forced out, I have no doubt the 'good riddance' comments would be identical. 


Edited by Slurpy - 10/29/12 at 7:50pm
post #8 of 167
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
They did have to apologize. Just as I was stating since the first Beta, it wasn't the same experience that they showcased during the demo. Whether that is Forestall's doing or not, Apple had to apologize for raising expectations well above was feasible for their entry into a maps service.

 

Would you have preferred it advertised as "we're not as good as Google" or advertised identically with this in the corner? 

 

1000

 

Pretend… that it says "Beta".

post #9 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would you have preferred it advertised as "we're not as good as Google" or advertised identically with this in the corner? 

I would have preferred they presented the service exactly as we should expect it. This was very un-Apple of them. This was more like how Android and Windows-based vendors will advertise how something but then you try and it does it very poorly thus ruining the user experience. There is a lot to love about Apple Maps and it was the right move to make but they should have made sure they presented exactly would they could deliver to prevent the bad press they ultimately received. Much of it was avoidable.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #10 of 167
Sign a letter? What the hell? If it was his department- it's his fault- why force the guy to sign a letter? You aren't writing up a technician for being late or for sexual harassment. What an immature move on Apples part. Sign a letter? I'd tellem it was my department- I take the blame, but they can take that letter and shove it!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #11 of 167
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I would have preferred they presented the service exactly as we should expect it.

 

So more like it's pitched on its own page now, and less using of the marketing wordplay they originally had and used in keynotes? Taking it a step further, NOT using said wordplay in the keynotes at all, and simply pitching what they'd built it to do… ugh, what's the Latin phrase here. Two words… means "as operated" or… it's not in situ, but it's close to that… 

post #12 of 167

More meat for the grinder.

 

Cook better get his shit together.
 

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #13 of 167
Steve Jobs would never sign an apology letter.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #14 of 167

Scott is leaving a rich man. Screw Apple!

Apple was too damn eager to put that iso map out. I'm sure Scott told them it wasn't ready but you know Tim, them fingers went snapping all in Scott's face.  But Scott knew he was already a rich man.

Tim Cook is going to destroy Apple.

post #15 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So more like it's pitched on its own page now, and less using of the marketing wordplay they originally had and used in keynotes? Taking it a step further, NOT using said wordplay in the keynotes at all, and simply pitching what they'd built it to do… ugh, what's the Latin phrase here. Two words… means "as operated" or… it's not in situ, but it's close to that… 

Yes. I think that could have prevented any issue which would have meant no apology if they had presented it differently.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #16 of 167
I don't think the general public would have known who Scott was, so an apology by him would be almost meaningless. It made sense for Tim to do the letter. Maybe Scott disagreed with the apology and left, but I don't think him signing or not signing a letter would be why he was fired/left.
post #17 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Steve Jobs would never sign an apology letter.

I suppose you could be technically accurate for using the word signed but Steve has stated regret and used the word "apology" multiple times as CEO of Apple.


Note: Not all Apple's fault, just find ones where Steve has expressed something akin to an apology publicly.


edit: Here is a list of 20 from Apple: http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/apple-macintosh/apples-top-20-public-apologies/240008177

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #18 of 167

Forstall leaves Apple, so what? What is the point of gossiping about it.

 

For my money I couldn't give a rat's arse whether apple gains or loses market share in anything, neither who hates or who loves Apple. Apple has been providing me with the most elegant and enjoyable computer experience for well over 15 years now from G4 towers, emac, G5imacs and now a georgous 27 inch iMac, and it's only getting better. I don't think any of that is going to change.

post #19 of 167
I'm not buying this. It just doesn't sound right. Sign an apology letter?? To whom? Where would this letter go? To Tim Cook? In Scott's HR file?? What purpose does it serve??

What next? Have him write on a chalkboard "I will not release before it's time" a thousand times??!! Maybe Tim Cook should sign one too for never having enough inventory on product launch?!!!

This one sounds like a total fabrication. Sorry Solips, you're betting on black but I'm putting my chips on red. 1smile.gif
post #20 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Forstall leaves Apple, so what? What is the point of gossiping about it.

 

For my money I couldn't give a rat's arse whether apple gains or loses market share in anything, neither who hates or who loves Apple. Apple has been providing me with the most elegant and enjoyable computer experience for well over 15 years now from G4 towers, emac, G5imacs and now a georgous 27 inch iMac, and it's only getting better. I don't think any of that is going to change.

 

And Forstall is hugely responsible for that experience on all iOS devices as wel as OSX. He's been there since NEXT. Thats the point. 

post #21 of 167
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
Sign an apology letter?? To whom? Where would this letter go?

 

It would have been Scott Forstall's name on the public letter about Maps instead of Tim Cook's.

post #22 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm not buying this. It just doesn't sound right. Sign an apology letter?? To whom? Where would this letter go? To Tim Cook? In Scott's HR file?? What purpose does it serve??
What next? Have him write on a chalkboard "I will not release before it's time" a thousand times??!! Maybe Tim Cook should sign one too for never having enough inventory on product launch?!!!
This one sounds like a total fabrication. Sorry Solips, you're betting on black but I'm putting my chips on red. 1smile.gif

I agree with you that this story sounds suspect but I disagree with the other parts, the ones I've argued in this thread.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #23 of 167
if thats the case I am disappointed as I agree with him. The Map gate was largely media driven as at had become a meme before hardly anyone had gotten an iPhone in their possession. Most if not all reports were just an echo chamber of one or two stories from Canada and Ireland. In Maryland, the map has worked perfectly for me for everything i have thrown at it. Certainly no worse than Google's map.
post #24 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Steve Jobs would never sign an apology letter.

and he still can't because he is dead...

But what does this have to do with anything?

post #25 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Scott is leaving a rich man. Screw Apple!

Apple was too damn eager to put that iso map out. I'm sure Scott told them it wasn't ready but you know Tim, them fingers went snapping all in Scott's face.  But Scott knew he was already a rich man.

Yeah, because he was in it for the money...

1rolleyes.gif

post #26 of 167

The Maps apology was unnecessary, as Maps is conceptually excellent, functionally good enough and rapidly getting very good.

Once it was determined that the letter was going out, refusing to sign it was symptomatic of a real ego problem, and is unacceptable.

Only a CEOs can take a stand like that without risk of being fired (and even then . . . )


Edited by DESuserIGN - 10/29/12 at 8:17pm
post #27 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

And Forstall is hugely responsible for that experience on all iOS devices as wel as OSX. He's been there since NEXT. Thats the point. 

 

And I tip my hat to a job well done. But for whatever reason he's moving on, this is life, I think Jobs has left behind a company that is now robust enough to survive anyone leaving (or dying even) for whatever reason.

post #28 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Unnamed sources familiar with the matter

Unnamed sources told me he raised the middle bar to Cook, slapped him round the head and criticized him for having a very limited range of facial expressions. I can't verify the autheticity but let's see how people would react assuming it was true. [/modern journalism]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
When the letter came out, the signature of Apple CEO Tim Cook stood alone, with Forstall's noticeably absent.

It was a letter from Tim Cook - says so in the title:

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

There was no signature as such as it's a digital letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Sources told WSJ that the executive argued Apple could forego an apology, and likened the situation to an antenna attenuation problem with the iPhone 4, dubbed "antennagate." A corresponding report from The Verge suggests Forstall denied the issues with iOS maps were significant enough to cause such widespread criticism.

Assuming this was the case, I would agree with Scott. There are times to apologize or at least have some clarity like with Final Cut Pro when businesses are at stake or an iPhone antenna that could mean a recall. Maps is a free bundled app and it does a decent enough job. So what if a pin here and there is out by a block or a few labels are wrong. Apple shouldn't apologize for everything that goes wrong because it's a slippery slope to every moron shouting for an apology or someone to be fired for the slightest thing they aren't happy about.

Tim Cook is all too easy to roll over when there are complaints and this was obvious from the Mac Pro letter - from what I remember, the guy who asked about it was a photographer and instead of saying 'go buy a Macbook Air, photos run great on it', it was all 'pro customers like you are important'. The correct answer the vast majority of the time should be:

"Are you nuts?
sent from my iPhone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
While Forstall was known to be abrasive when dealing with colleagues and created friction with other company heads, late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs was able to manage his sometimes polarizing nature.

I would worry more if they all agreed on everything because it would show they haven't assessed all the options. But if theit discussions have been consistently unproductive, sometimes it's best to agree to disagree and part ways.
post #29 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with you that this story sounds suspect but I disagree with the other parts, the ones I've argued in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would have been Scott Forstall's name on the public letter about Maps instead of Tim Cook's.

That's just it. It sounds very un-Apple like. What "public" letter? Apple is not really known for writing a letter to the world saying "We screwed up".

Personally, I don't think the Maps fiasco was anywhere near the big deal as the media and Fandroids made it out to be. I thought the buck stops at the top. Tim Cook is the captain of the ship therefore if anyone is to write/sign a letter of apology, it should be him.

So when Apple does great, it's all because of Tim Cook's leadership and vision. Hey, but when Apple screws up, it's someone else's fault? Is that how it works??

Scott Forstall can be crucified behind closed doors for all I care, but the only person that represents the company publicly is the CEO, and that's Tim Cook. That's why I'm not buying into this.'
post #30 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Steve Jobs would never sign an apology letter.

That's for sure!

 

Although admittedly it's a pretty weak apology.

post #31 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Knight View Post

solipsismx,
If you feel you are ever owed an apology in life, it's YOU that is the bully. Forcing an apology is an aggressive act of arrogance that does nothing but pander to the supposed victim's vanity and need to be coddled. Complaining about a little application that draws maps for you, as the basis for your demand of an apology after, is simply madness and is pushing the limits of adolescent behavior to the extreme. You have not been harmed or materially wronged if you cannot find Trader F'n Joe's. At best, inconvenienced.
I, for one, admire Scott Forstall and his Jobsian style "F.U." attitude towards all of the ungrateful whiners. I say, out with Tim Cook. Give me an unapologetic son-of-a-bitch like Jobs, and in return we shall see continued greatness.
But for those of you that demand your apology for one reason or another, go jump off a cliff you whiny, over-privileged fat American consumers. Your ostentatious need to look chic with a cool gadget in one hand an a double macchiato extra foam in the other does little to contribute real value to this country's GDP. Simply complaining about your maps app from the sidelines, while possessing no skill yourself even to code Hello World, makes you a supreme piece of dung.
Job well done, Mr. Forstall. Enjoy your millions. You EARNED it.

Solips... Is this true??? You don't know how to code a "Hello World"?? Say it ain't so! 1smile.gif
post #32 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw that. They don't have to apologize for ANYTHING. He knows how good it WILL be; why would he apologize for that? That's like Einstein's parents apologizing because their two year old was 'unruly'. Put it in context and it's not really important.

 

Yes they did.  The negative buzz about Apple being an arrogant company was starting to get out of control.  The maps fiasco was entering the popular media. They had to stop the conversation or at least redirect it.  See the problem was not that the Maps app sucked --not that many people were saying they just have to have Google Maps --the problem was that Apple was beginning to be seen as an arrogant company who doesn't care about or listen to their customers.  The only way to short circuit that budding mass sentiment was a public apology.  Not just a non-apology apology (I'm sorry you felt that way about the Maps app) which would just dig a deeper hole but a sincere mea culpa.  And the apology worked; it was seen to be sincere because it directed customers to several alternatives including Apple's competitors for map relief.

 

Maybe Steve Jobs would have gotten away without apologizing, but regular folk liked him and they were willing to cut him some slack because of his accomplishments and life story.  Too bad for Apple though, he ain't around anymore.

post #33 of 167
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
That's just it. It sounds very un-Apple like. What "public" letter? Apple is not really known for writing a letter to the world saying "We screwed up".

 

Wait, you REALLY don't know about this? And this and this?


Personally, I don't think the Maps fiasco was anywhere near the big deal as the media and Fandroids made it out to be.

 

That's because it wasn't. It was pretty much entirely fabricated. Maps, at launch, was FAR better than Google Maps at launch. 


…the only person that represents the company publicly is the CEO, and that's Tim Cook.

 

Well, Phil Schiller. 


Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post
Yes they did.  The negative buzz about Apple being an arrogant company was starting to get out of control.

 

lol, no. Pretty good one, though.

 

The maps fiasco was entering the popular media. 

 

Whoop de frick. It's Apple. They would have been in media regardless.

 

…the problem was that Apple was beginning to be seen as an arrogant company who doesn't care for or listen to their customers.

 

No, that wasn't the case at all.


Maybe Steve Jobs would have gotten away without apologizing, but regular folk liked him and they were willing to cut him some slack because of his accomplishments and life story.

 

I doubt that… and he did.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/29/12 at 8:34pm
post #34 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

That's for sure!

If this hearsay is in fact true, I support Scott's refusal to sign it. Steve Jobs would never sign anything like that either. It's childish behavior meant only to thump someone's chest. If I were asked to do that, I certainly would not stay on as an adviser to the guy that asked me to sign that paper. Makes zero sense. He's probably staying on for some kind if stock-vesting to occur or to work out a golden parachute strategy.

I still don't believe that is what went down. I'm leaning more to a whole snowball of issues.
post #35 of 167

This really sucks. Everything that has made apple so successful these past 5 years- the iPhone, the iPad, the iPod touch, Siri... have been Scott's brainchildren. And now Apple is so quick to get rid of him? On the other hand, perhaps he can be replaced with somebody that can make iOS more like OS X and not like the very limited interface that it is now. 

post #36 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Knight View Post

solipsismx,
If you feel you are ever owed an apology in life, it's YOU that is the bully. Forcing an apology is an aggressive act of arrogance that does nothing but pander to the supposed victim's vanity and need to be coddled. Complaining about a little application that draws maps for you, as the basis for your demand of an apology after, is simply madness and is pushing the limits of adolescent behavior to the extreme. You have not been harmed or materially wronged if you cannot find Trader F'n Joe's. At best, inconvenienced.
I, for one, admire Scott Forstall and his Jobsian style "F.U." attitude towards all of the ungrateful whiners. I say, out with Tim Cook. Give me an unapologetic son-of-a-bitch like Jobs, and in return we shall see continued greatness.
But for those of you that demand your apology for one reason or another, go jump off a cliff you whiny, over-privileged fat American consumers. Your ostentatious need to look chic with a cool gadget in one hand an a double macchiato extra foam in the other does little to contribute real value to this country's GDP. Simply complaining about your maps app from the sidelines, while possessing no skill yourself even to code Hello World, makes you a supreme piece of dung.
Job well done, Mr. Forstall. Enjoy your millions. You EARNED it.

 

Very bluntly stated, but I agree 100% with your sentiment. This whiny, entitled horse-shit of demanding and expecting an apology or some financial recompense because an ultra-ambitious, free piece of software is not 100% perfect (as is the case with its competitors) is just completely nauseating. Did Google apologize when early Android was a complete piece of garbage and a useability nightmare next to iOS? Is Microsoft apologizing that it just completely obsoleted its flagship phones with its new OS, with no upgrade path? Does almost every other OEM apologize for having complete shit hardware and build quality? Or for pre-installing spamware on your phones? Of course not. But Apple has to apologize whenever Apple-hating trolls make as much noise as humanly possible about a piece of software they have never used or will never use, a piece of software that is superior than the one it replaced, but if it doesnt suit your needs can find a replacement in seconds. For this, Apple needs to grovel and ask your forgiveness? 

 

To me, Forstall was Apple moreso than anyone else at the company- including Ives. The guy shared the conviction and passion that Steve did. The fact that he was either forced out or let go, and that Apple didnt do everything in tis power to keep him there, says more about the company than him. I trust that the architect of iOS and the appstore, and the reason for Apple's current success, knows what the **** he's doing. Steve was also compromising, but I guess as a CEO he was able to tell people to shut the **** up and follow a certain direction without this kind of blowback. How can Apple be so quick as to drop someone who was so critical to its success? I always said Apple would stay on the right track as long as Forstall and Ive and were there, because they understood Steve's vision to a deep level.  Well, there goes that. 

post #37 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Knight View Post

solipsismx,
If you feel you are ever owed an apology in life, it's YOU that is the bully. Forcing an apology is an aggressive act of arrogance that does nothing but pander to the supposed victim's vanity and need to be coddled. Complaining about a little application that draws maps for you, as the basis for your demand of an apology after, is simply madness and is pushing the limits of adolescent behavior to the extreme. You have not been harmed or materially wronged if you cannot find Trader F'n Joe's. At best, inconvenienced.
I, for one, admire Scott Forstall and his Jobsian style "F.U." attitude towards all of the ungrateful whiners. I say, out with Tim Cook. Give me an unapologetic son-of-a-bitch like Jobs, and in return we shall see continued greatness.
But for those of you that demand your apology for one reason or another, go jump off a cliff you whiny, over-privileged fat American consumers. Your ostentatious need to look chic with a cool gadget in one hand an a double macchiato extra foam in the other does little to contribute real value to this country's GDP. Simply complaining about your maps app from the sidelines, while possessing no skill yourself even to code Hello World, makes you a supreme piece of dung.
Job well done, Mr. Forstall. Enjoy your millions. You EARNED it.

1) So Steve Jobs is what exactly for having apologized publicly on many occasions?

2) What do you call someone that doesn't apologize when they know they are in the wrong (not saying Forestall was, as I've already pointed out previous)?

3) Based on your comment you are a previously banned poster who more than likely was banned because of childish personal attacks. Do you really want to start off another account going down that same road?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #38 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Knight View Post

solipsismx,
If you feel you are ever owed an apology in life, it's YOU that is the bully. Forcing an apology is an aggressive act of arrogance that does nothing but pander to the supposed victim's vanity and need to be coddled. Complaining about a little application that draws maps for you, as the basis for your demand of an apology after, is simply madness and is pushing the limits of adolescent behavior to the extreme. You have not been harmed or materially wronged if you cannot find Trader F'n Joe's. At best, inconvenienced.

I think you misread his point and/or strawmaned it. Maybe you can try to read a post without the "axe to grind" lens? Because the post was considerably more nuanced and tempered than that, something your reply doesn't acknowledge.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/29/12 at 8:39pm
post #39 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Knight View Post

I, for one, admire Scott Forstall and his Jobsian style "F.U." attitude towards all of the ungrateful whiners. I say, out with Tim Cook. Give me an unapologetic son-of-a-bitch like Jobs, and in return we shall see continued greatness.

 

You may think he's the greatest business executive after Jobs but if nobody wants to work with him he's basically useless for Apple.  There are very few people who have enough stature and prestige to be able to get away with your much cherished "F.U." attitude.  In business, Steve Jobs did.  Winston Churchill, in politics.  Douglas MacArthur in the military.  Who is Scott Forstall that he would be able to strut around as if he were Steve Jobs?  Especially towards his colleagues at Apple?  You think Ive, Schiller, & Mansfield, not to mention Tim Cook, would put up with an erstwhile colleague who starts acting like a self-appointed Steve Jobs mini-me?

 

Nope, as critical as he might have been to Apple, he can't run it by himself.  He can't run it without the collective institutional DNA embedded in the minds of the other Senior VPs. He had to learn to get along with his colleagues if he was to have a shot at eventually becoming CEO.


Edited by tundraboy - 10/29/12 at 9:01pm
post #40 of 167

P.S. am I the only one that has no problems with Apple maps? I have used the Siri GPS function at least 10 times so far without a hitch. I have found no difference between this and the Google app version, other than the Apple app is much more elegant. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Scott Forstall's refusal to sign iOS Maps apology letter contributed to departure, sources say