or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple pushes back iTunes 11 launch to November

Apple pushes back iTunes 11 launch to November

post #1 of 50
Apple announced on Tuesday that it will be pushing back the launch of iTunes 11 until November, citing unexpected delays and the desire to "get it right."

iTunes Logo

The news comes after Apple in September said the new media purchasing and management hub would be ready for rollout later in October, but now the company is delaying release until some time in November, reports AllThingsD.

"The new iTunes is taking longer than expected and we wanted to take a little extra time to get it right," said spokesman Tom Neumayr. "We look forward to releasing this new version of iTunes with its dramatically simpler and cleaner interface, and seamless integration with iCloud before the end of November."

AppleInsider was able to offer an in-depth look at the software's revamped UI, which showed a tidied up, iOS-inspired interface.

Speculation suggests that the recent Apple management overhaul, more specifically the departure of Scott Forstall, played a role in the delay. Eddy Cue, the executive that will take on some of the iOS chief's duties including Maps and Siri, is also in charge of iTunes, which could be a factor in the hold up. It should be noted that the rumors are just that and have little to no supporting evidence.

Some of the new features expected with iTunes 11 are a better layout, faster performance, full-library search, improved iCloud integration, redesigned mini-player and full-screen support, among others.
post #2 of 50
It probably was going to come out with the latest iPads
post #3 of 50

"among others"

It might be held up by further licensing deals (that also require software development and debugging).

post #4 of 50

It's a great decision. It's better to take longer and release a fully finished and polished product than rush it out of the door and face the unhappy masses. Game developers do this all the time. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I applaud Apple in its decision to push it to November. Looking forward to it.

post #5 of 50

Surely it has to do with how it will be used in connection to the new 'Radio' offering.

Of course they will have to make that announcement in Nov. also.

But one way or another they would have to work together.   Does not make sense for 11 to launch and a month or two later another upgrade.

post #6 of 50
Is it me or are we learning about the names of Apple spokespeople more often than in the past?
post #7 of 50

So... before the end of November. I read it as between 25-30 November.

post #8 of 50
I like this part:

"It should be noted that the rumors are just that and have little to no supporting evidence."

Honesty about its information.

It suits AppleInsider.
post #9 of 50

Makes no difference to me at all.

It's better to get things right, than to just ship by a certain date.

post #10 of 50
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Is it me or are we learning about the names of Apple spokespeople more often than in the past?

The name is always in the release.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/30/12 at 2:32pm

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #11 of 50

I'm going to add that I definitely will complain if they have not fixed the iCloud/Itunes Match issue. That's not a matter of needing more time, it's merely a matter of not making stupid decisions. Whoever made that retarded decision should be fired, if they aren't already.

I'm not a fan of software updates, just for the sake of updating stuff, especially when it breaks and omits features found it in the previous version.

post #12 of 50

Its good that they get it right.  But don't advertise something if you are not 100% sure that you can achieve it.  Overpromise and underdeliver is microsoft territory. 

That, and it would be nice to see the compatabilities for this software.  OSX versions and Windows Versions required for installation.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #13 of 50

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and I use iTunes as my digital media centre. I would much rather they wait and release a proper version than something that's been hurried out the door.

post #14 of 50
I want an apology letter!!!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 50
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post
I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and I use iTunes as my digital media centre. I would much rather they wait and release a proper version than something that's been hurried out the door.

lol, irony.

post #16 of 50

Love how Apple is taking advantage of the hurricane and the closed markets to shove out all their bad news. 

post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I want an apology letter!!!

"We're very sorry you believe you're entitled to an apology."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes Doo View Post

It's a great decision. It's better to take longer and release a fully finished and polished product than rush it out of the door and face the unhappy masses. Game developers do this all the time. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I applaud Apple in its decision to push it to November. Looking forward to it.

Yep, given the poop that was the iOS 6 release they want to avoid something just as bad.

Now if they would get the crap in iOS 6 fixed. I'd like to not get another bill for $500 in overages in three days when I was at home and allegedly on wifi (even the internal usage meter said I had not been on cell data) again

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 50

Apple made a statement. "we want to get it just right because at the moment there are 1 or 2 really small issues that we know the snivelling fandroids will jump all over and try and make a big thing over".

post #20 of 50

Maybe they should have taken some more time with their new iOS app store too, because it is slow as shit now.

When I go to top charts, it takes a very long time just for the icons to load. The old version was almost instant. How can anybody think that the new one is better, when it's slow as shit? If a newer version is not actually going to improve an app, then they shouldn't even bother to release the newer version, just leave it how it is.

post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"We're very sorry you believe you're entitled to an apology."

It was sarcasm....

post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It was sarcasm....

And so was the reply.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 50

Maybe Tim can release a pre-emptive apology letter, apologizing for any possible issues that people may or may not have with the new iTunes. 

post #24 of 50

guess the offical timing has noiw apperaed on their site... rahter than relying on allthingsd

post #25 of 50

This is good I think. Apple holding off releasing a product until it works properly! I hope to see all future Apple products done this way. And please Apple get the clunkiness of your web services sorted before Google and Microsoft surpass you!

post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Same as before, only one difference:
In the past there was: Steve Jobs.
Today, there are several SVPs that are in the public eye.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 50
So they're going to add the ability to sort your albums by the date they were added to your library, right? This missing feature drives me up the wall!

Also it would great to have a choice to listen to one album, rather iTunes automatically going through an artists back catalogue. Sometimes I just want to listen to Sargeant Pepper's and not have it automatically followed by Magical Mystery Tour!

It's good that they're taking the time to get things right. I'm guessing they don't trust that Forstall was going to release something they were going to be proud of.
Edited by JohnnyW2001 - 10/30/12 at 5:30pm
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153904/apple-pushes-back-itunes-11-launch-until-november#post_2223159"]Maybe they should have taken some more time with their new iOS app store too, because it is slow as shit now.

When I go to top charts, it takes a very long time just for the icons to load. The old version was almost instant. How can anybody think that the new one is better, when it's slow as shit? If a newer version is not actually going to improve an app, then they shouldn't even bother to release the newer version, just leave it how it is.

It loads pretty quickly on my iPad considering that it populates two 100 item lists rather than only loading the first 25. And what's your beef with iTunes Match? It works fine across my 10 authorised devices with 6,900 songs its a steal at £20 a year. (4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 macs and 2 PC's not to mention streaming to 3 Apple TVs)
post #29 of 50
I also do not mind waiting for this update. Better to get it right then send it out not ready for prime time. I hope they fix iTunes Match. Please!!!
post #30 of 50

Stinko. I was toying with iTunes earlier, frustrated with its ancient structure and usability.

Take your time, Apple. Get it right.

And overhaul iTunes Match. My CD that I ripped of 'Who Are You' by The Who, matched five tracks and uploaded five tracks. Ugh.

post #31 of 50
We are making an assumption in that Apple isn't releasing in October to "get it right". There goal could just be to "get it shippable" but will still with many known bugs and/or lack of functionality. We can hope they are holding off to "get it right" and even use historical evidence to suggest they will hold off on this hub app to "get it right" but to suggest that as the only reason for the delay is not scientific.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

It loads pretty quickly on my iPad considering that it populates two 100 item lists rather than only loading the first 25. And what's your beef with iTunes Match? It works fine across my 10 authorised devices with 6,900 songs its a steal at £20 a year. (4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 macs and 2 PC's not to mention streaming to 3 Apple TVs)

I just did a quick experiment.

I had the appstore completely closed, not sleeping in the dock.

I timed it from the time that I pressed the appstore app icon and until it was fully loaded on the top charts with the icons fully showing up. It took 17 seconds, that is a total joke. Perhaps they should only load 25, if loading 100 is what is causing it to slow down. All I know is that it was much faster before. 17 seconds is simply not acceptable for me. I'm expecting things to be pretty damn quick on Apple devices that I use.

As for iTunes Match, that was also much better before. It changed after I paid to sign up. Before, you had an easy choice of either downloading or streaming to an individual device. Things are much more difficult and cumbersome now, and key features have been removed. How can you erase an individual track? I've looked plenty of places on the net, and it seems as if that is impossible now. How can somebody download one particular song, without having to make a ridiculous playlist just to accomplish that simple task which could be done with just one button press in the previous version?

I did like iTunes Match before, but not so much after the new update.

post #33 of 50
Quote:
[" url="/t/153904/apple-pushes-back-itunes-11-launch-until-november#post_2223302"]

I timed it from the time that I pressed the appstore app icon and until it was fully loaded on the top charts with the icons fully showing up. It took 17 seconds, that is a total joke.

Only 8 secs on my iPad 2 with Wi-Fi.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Only 8 secs on my iPad 2 with Wi-Fi.

I just tried it again, I'm on an iPad 3 by the way, and got 16-17 seconds again.

Even 8 seconds is way too long, because the previous version was much quicker. I never timed the previous version, and I can't anymore, but I'm guessing that it was 2-3 seconds.

post #35 of 50
Quote:
[" url="/t/153904/apple-pushes-back-itunes-11-launch-until-november#post_2223302"]I just did a quick experiment.

I had the appstore completely closed, not sleeping in the dock.

I timed it from the time that I pressed the appstore app icon and until it was fully loaded on the top charts with the icons fully showing up. It took 17 seconds, that is a total joke. Perhaps they should only load 25, if loading 100 is what is causing it to slow down. All I know is that it was much faster before. 17 seconds is simply not acceptable for me. I'm expecting things to be pretty damn quick on Apple devices that I use.

As for iTunes Match, that was also much better before. It changed after I paid to sign up. Before, you had an easy choice of either downloading or streaming to an individual device. Things are much more difficult and cumbersome now, and key features have been removed. How can you erase an individual track? I've looked plenty of places on the net, and it seems as if that is impossible now. How can somebody download one particular song, without having to make a ridiculous playlist just to accomplish that simple task which could be done with just one button press in the previous version?

I did like iTunes Match before, but not so much after the new update.

So, you don't like the iOS 6 implementation of iTunes Match which is fair enough, it works fine for me but im not anal anout micromanaging music on my device. And, 17 seconds to load TWO HUNDRED entries (which are then cached) is too slow?? You should probably cut back on the caffeine there buddy.

I bet you are the kind of person who has a freak out when the Internet drops out for more than 10 seconds.

9 secs on my iPad after force quitting and relaunching so that it has to pull from scratch. This in an iPad 3rd gen on 100mb cable over 5ghz N.
post #36 of 50
Quote:

So, you don't like the iOS 6 implementation of iTunes Match which is fair enough, it works fine for me but im not anal anout micromanaging music on my device. And, 17 seconds to load TWO HUNDRED entries (which are then cached) is too slow?? You should probably cut back on the caffeine there buddy.
I bet you are the kind of person who has a freak out when the Internet drops out for more than 10 seconds.
9 secs on my iPad after force quitting and relaunching so that it has to pull from scratch. This in an iPad 3rd gen on 100mb cable over 5ghz N.

That's precisely why I don't like iTunes Match anymore, I do like to micromanage the iTunes library from each individual device, and found that to be a useful feature before.

No caffeine here, I don't even like coffee. Cannabis is my poison.1smoking.gif

I'm not the kind of person that freaks out when the internet drops out for more than 10 seconds, though I do get slightly upset if the internet drops out and I'm in the middle of a stock trade or playing a big poker hand, and cash is on the line.

I have hundreds of iOS apps, and I haven't experienced anything as slow as the new iOS appstore app on any other app which I use. I do believe that Apple can do better.

post #37 of 50

Bit Microsoft'ish, didn't really understand why they announced it so long before it was going to be ready. I get the feeling it was meant to come out with the last iPods but missed, the the iPad's and missed that to.

Like the idea that a high up management change could lead to all the developers at Apple not doing anything for a month. Sounds a bit more like an excuse, basically they announced an update far to early and then couldn't deliver.

post #38 of 50
Slurpy View Post

Love how Apple is taking advantage of the hurricane and the closed markets to shove out all their bad news. 

Apple originally said iTunes 11 would be out sometime in October. They announced a delay since this is the end of October.

During Apple's iPad Mini event, Zynga announced massive layoffs.

Maybe these are coincidences, poor timing, or worse. But your comment sounds like televangelists blaming gays for the hurricane.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #39 of 50
Quote:

Wow, immediately with the personal insults.

17 seconds is too long. The reason it's so much slower now is that Apple have changed the App Store to a Web App (i.e. it's just a webpage loading in something that looks like an app). This is the opposite of what Facebook just did: Their iOS app was criticized for being too slow, and it was. They finally switched over to a native app (like they had on Android) and it immediately sped up for people.

Google can filter billions of results in nano-seconds. Processing 200 in 20 seconds is a joke -- especially over WiFi. Lord knows how long it takes over 3G!

A native app would be tons faster.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyW2001 View Post

So they're going to add the ability to sort your albums by the date they were added to your library, right? This missing feature drives me up the wall!
Also it would great to have a choice to listen to one album, rather iTunes automatically going through an artists back catalogue. Sometimes I just want to listen to Sargeant Pepper's and not have it automatically followed by Magical Mystery Tour!
It's good that they're taking the time to get things right. I'm guessing they don't trust that Forstall was going to release something they were going to be proud of.

1. I wouldn't hold my breath for changes to how iTunes sorts things - it seems like Apple has no interest in improving that. I also listen to albums rather than individual songs, and would like more options. You can sort (in album list view) by date added, but it's by song instead of album, so each album would have to be added at the same time in the correct song order. And of course an artist's albums wouldn't be together unless you added them together.

2. I'm not sure if you're talking about having iTunes play one album and then stop - if so, I think the new version is supposed to have an easy way to set up a quick playlist, which it will play through and then stop, so you could make a playlist of the one album.

I still use iTunes 9, because in album list view you can have larger artwork, and it looks so much better. I'm guessing that in iTunes 11 there will be even less options for sorting and displaying albums and artwork. I hope I'm wrong, but we already know there won't be a sidebar on the left where you can see all your playlists.

I hope that another app, such as Enqueue, could be improved enough to replace iTunes as a music player.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple pushes back iTunes 11 launch to November