or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider Mobile Version Feedback

AppleInsider Mobile Version Feedback

post #1 of 80

All posts praising or complaining about the the mobile version of AppleInsider will be moved here so that the Huddler team has a SINGLE location from which to view them.

I'm speaking for myself here, don't just say "I hate it" or "It's great"; explain WHY you think this. Specifics will be awesome, and they'll act on fixing specifics, not generalities.

The toggle is at the bottom of every page, in the footer. 

If it's not yet visible, well… the mobile site might not yet be active to non-beta testers. Should be fixed shortly.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/2/12 at 6:49am

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #2 of 80

I'm not used to using any mobile-specific apps or mobile versions for any sites that I visit. If I'm browsing the web on my iPad, I usually prefer to visit the full versions of sites through Safari. That's how I've been viewing Appleinsider up until now, when I occasionally do use the iPad. I also bounce around often between Macs and my iPad, and I do kind of like to have the same look and interface, no matter what I'm using.

I only tried the mobile version briefly on the iPad, but one thing that I noticed right away was that I was unable to pinch zoom, in order to make the text bigger. Perhaps that's intentional and that's the way that the mobile version is supposed to be, but I've never really had a problem with viewing the normal Appleinsider through my iPad and using Safari.

I don't browse the web through tiny devices such as iPhones and iPod Touches, but maybe those devices are what the mobile version is more targeted towards?

This last part is not specific criticism of the Appleinsider mobile version, but rather criticism of mobile versions in general. Whenever given a choice in the past, I would always prefer to be viewing the full version on my iPad. 

Since I have a 9.7" iPad, I have a feeling that the mobile version is more suited towards iPhone and iPod Touch users, as I've never really had any problem with using the full version. 

Edited by Apple ][ - 11/1/12 at 3:05pm
post #3 of 80
Quoting a previous post doesn't appear to work
melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 80
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Quoting a previous post doesn't appear to work

What do you mean by previous?

post #5 of 80

As in quoting another poster in a reply

post #6 of 80

Could have been just PEBKAC. I'll try again in awhile

post #7 of 80
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
As in quoting another poster in a reply

I hit the Quote button and this changes color.

Simultaneously, this

and this

receive badges and color. You have to then hit one of the two for the quote to appear in the reply box at the bottom.

A little counterintuitive, I know. It's a pretty neat implementation, but when it's different from the way the forum proper does it, it's not right to have.

OH, but I DO like how the mobile site doesn't have a "reply" button that does absolutely nothing at all. And I LOVE how multiquoting is now just contingent on the number of quote buttons you hit!

EDIT: The above was typed and assembled in the mobile site, which was my first post in that format (though it's on my desktop). 

• As previously stated, I like how multiquoting is just contingent on the number of "Quote" buttons you hit. I would LOVE for that to be implemented in the desktop version.
  • I like how there is no useless "Reply" button on every post.
  • I like the design. The colors aren't bad and it's pretty easy to read through. I wish the button designs on the desktop version were like the mobile version
  • I like how, in the formatting of mobile posts, there is no stupid "extra" whitespace put around embedded images. By this I mean that the spaces I put around those images above were manually inserted by me. On the desktop (and perhaps it's only done in not 'rich text' anywhere), embedding an image into a post involves returns hidden from the user until the post is submitted. Only then does it appear and extend the height of your post, meaning you have to go back in if you forgot to take it out or compensate for it. 

Dislikes:

• It automatically goes to rich text for posting. I guess that makes sense, but still.
  • Quotes still have the "Quote:" above them and a line of whitespace between "Originally Posted by" and the first line, as well as too much spacing around the quote itself. But that's a dislike for both mobile and desktop, and it's just a personal thing. 
  • No moderator tools. And that might just be temporary. I don't do a WHOLE lot of moderation from my mobile devices, either, but that's also because every button has previously required two presses to work.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/1/12 at 6:23pm

post #8 of 80
Where is this mobile toggle exactly? I can't find it anywhere.
post #9 of 80

Yep like it loads, keep up the good work!

"We're lost, but were making good time."

"We're lost, but were making good time."

post #10 of 80
unable to load mobile forum. I'm on my iPhone 5. how can I open the mobile forum?! 1oyvey.gif1hmm.gif

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

unable to load mobile forum. I'm on my iPhone 5. how can I open the mobile forum?! 1oyvey.gif1hmm.gif

on iPhone 4S with IO6.01.  Cant figure out how to open mobile forum either.  Whats the direct URL?  Could you configure it to automatically detect client type and switch to mobile forum like you do with the main web page.  It would be a PITA to need to do it manually each time.  

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #12 of 80

Works good so far on the iPhone. The mobile site is a functional subset of the regular site, but I think it's much, much easier to use than scrolling around and zooming, hunting for buttons scattered in the four corners of the page.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 80
So far I've very happy with the mobile forum. The only thing I'd change is have the ability to change to a different page in the thread at the top and bottom of current page, instead of just at the bottom (or at least a way to jump to the bottom quickly).
Edited by SolipsismX - 11/2/12 at 4:15pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #14 of 80
My attempt at replies showed code instead of rich text, which is proper for to my settings.
post #15 of 80

I like that our avatars show up on the mobile site. Heck, I like the idea of avatars in general.

What do people think about potentially having avatars visible on the desktop version?

post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like that our avatars show up on the mobile site. Heck, I like the idea of avatars in general.

What do people think about potentially having avatars visible on the desktop version?

I kind of like it without the distraction of the avatars, but that's just me. I think it's cleaner without the graphics.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 80

I cannot see how to get to the mobile version. There are no buttons in the footer that I can see.

post #18 of 80
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
I cannot see how to get to the mobile version. There are no buttons in the footer that I can see.

Must not be public yet. Want into the beta to try it out?

post #19 of 80
Quote:

Must not be public yet. Want into the beta to try it out?

Sure. What do I need?

post #20 of 80
Sure. What do I need?

Me to add you to the group, which I just did. Refresh your pages and you should see the button! If not, clear your cache.

post #21 of 80
Quote:

Sure. What do I need?

Me to add you to the group, which I just did. Refresh your pages and you should see the button! If not, clear your cache.

Thanks - that worked. I'll check it out.

post #22 of 80
Doesn't work on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1
post #23 of 80

Been waiting for this to happen for such a long time, but I guess that it has been taken down because I absolutely do not see it. That or I must be blind.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Been waiting for this to happen for such a long time, but I guess that it has been taken down because I absolutely do not see it. That or I must be blind.

If you do not see a toggle at the very bottom of this page, it's still in beta phase, and people are added when they request to be added. TS, can you add einsteinbqat?
post #25 of 80
Better, not great. The whole quote and reply button thing is clumsy. But the margins are better and the lack of screen hogging ads is a vast improvement.

However having to go back to desktop to go back to the article view because the 'home' in the sidebar which is labeled as Appleinsider takes me to my forum home, no bueno
Edited by charlituna - 11/3/12 at 8:15am

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 80
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
If you do not see a toggle at the very bottom of this page, it's still in beta phase, and people are added when they request to be added. TS, can you add einsteinbqat?

Sure can. He should have access now.

post #27 of 80

Could I be put in the 'beta program'?

Thanks

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #28 of 80
Still not seen, can I be in the beta, sounds neat.
post #29 of 80
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sure can. He should have access now.
Great! It's working fine, and it's definitely faster than loading the desktop version. Hallelujah!

post #30 of 80
There must be an easier way to quote and reply than this current two-step method. Perhaps replacing the two steps with a single tap on the quote link/button?

post #31 of 80
We need a faster way to access the forums from the mobile news home page (http://iphone.appleinsider.com).

Right now, you have to
1) manually type the URL in the address bar, or
2) open a news article, and click on "comments".

post #32 of 80
Page changing buttons should be much, much, smaller, and be located both at the top and bottom of a discussion page.

Right now, the only way to change page is to scroll completely to the bottom.

A button allowing a "jump to page #" would be a good addition, too.
Edited by einsteinbqat - 11/4/12 at 8:16am

post #33 of 80

It's there. You have to type in a number manually.

It SHOULD be one of these:

post #34 of 80
Mobile Safari
iOS 6
iPhone 4S

Bug? Explanation:
If there is more text than the height of the text entry field, selecting text upward is very choppy/difficult or downright impossible whereas selecting downwards is somewhat easier, but not fluid. That cannot be normal behaviour, can it?

Look at these photographs:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

On photo 1 & 2:
You see that there is no text above Mobile, but you see that there is more text than the text field height. Now, try to select text going upward starting from the word "Explanation" to "Mobile". As you can see on Photo 2, the text field goes down, and the selection stops at the blank line above "Bug". If you manage to get to the top, that us good. You have good perseverance. 1wink.gif

On Photo 3:
You see that there is text above and below that we do not see. Now try to select text from, say, the word "text", and try to go as far upward as possible. You will fail or succeed with difficulty.

I hope you guys get what I am trying to point out.

post #35 of 80
I stand corrected on that point
Quote:

It's there. You have to type in a number manually.

What is the below photo supposed to represent

post #36 of 80

I forget the name. One-a them dropdown menus. I'll find it.

Oh. Really? That's the name? Huh. Thought it was something more descriptive.

post #37 of 80

Yes, I know it's a drop down menu list, but I just don't understand why you posted it. Sorry if I missed something, though.

Quote:

I forget the name. One-a them dropdown menus. I'll find it.

Oh. Really? That's the name? Huh. Thought it was something more descriptive.

post #38 of 80
Yes, I know it's a drop down menu list, but I just don't understand why you posted it. Sorry if I missed something, though.

You'd pick a number from it instead of a word. Then it would jump to that page. 

I KNEW I should have posted that sentence below it. Began to and then I thought, "No, people know I mean numbers instead of words." lol.gif

post #39 of 80

Indeed, you should have! :P

Quote:

You'd pick a number from it instead of a word. Then it would jump to that page. 

I KNEW I should have posted that sentence below it. Began to and then I thought, "No, people know I mean numbers instead of words." lol.gif

post #40 of 80
No mobile forums seen on iPhone 4, how about the beta
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider Mobile Version Feedback