or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Romney blatantly politicizes Sandy; impedes real relief efforts

Romney blatantly politicizes Sandy; impedes real relief efforts

post #1 of 61

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/romney-donating-sandy-supplies-only-to-gop-swing-states-not-nj-or-ny/politics/2012/10/30/52648

Quote:
First, the relief event was scheduled for the same time and location as a recently canceled political rally. Then, photos emerged, showing that donors were asked to wait to drop off their goods until Romney arrived to accept them himself, suggesting a photo op not unlike the one his running mate Paul Ryan staged earlier this month in a soup kitchen. And Salon noticed that the targeted recipient of all of the donations — the Red Cross — doesn’t even accept most of what the Romney campaign collected in Ohio.

http://www.redcross.org/support/donating-fundraising/other-ways-to-give/donating-goods

Here's the official policy from the Red Cross.  They don't want Romney's small individual donations of goods.  

Quote:
The American Red Cross does not accept or solicit small quantities of individual donations of items for emergency relief purposes. Items such as collections of food, used clothing, and shoes often must be cleaned, sorted, and repackaged which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel that are needed for other aspects of our relief operation.

The Red Cross says the individual donations of items impedes their relief efforts.  Romney's thinly veiled campaign event impedes the Red Cross's relief efforts.

But hey, it's still the thought that counts?  Okay...

Quote:
But just in case there were any lingering questions over the political nature of the relief rally, Romney’s staff left no room for doubt when they aired a biographical video that was part of the Republican National Convention in August (and used by the campaign at political events since).

Halting the campaign my ass.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 61

The photo op was also just that: all of the attendees had to go through security, lessening what they could actually bring in.  It would have been far better if they had just donated money or dropped stuff off at a collection office.  The Red Cross, yes, doesn't want it. But some charities will take it.

The campaign event photo op had to proceed, however.

- - - - -

BBC had video of the event; I think CNN did, too.  Mittens didn't care about the donations; he was only focused on shaking hands. Had it actually been to collect items, he would have just worked like everybody else.

Edit:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/bestoftv/2012/10/30/exp-tsr-acosta-romney-storm-relief.cnn

Mittens comes across as cold; he seems to be just saying what he has to say, without really caring about it.

Just rewatched the CNN clip... towards the end, there is a guy holding a bag calling out, "no bag or donation you're not going through"... is he actually prepared to hand out a bag to somebody just so they can go shake Mittens' hand?  Wish there was more video as it is hard to tell.

- - - - - 

In Virginia, Mittens' campaign suggested that people jump in their cars and take goods to their campaign offices.... Right about the time the state (yep, the entity Mittens says we should entrust with disaster prep) said to stay home because it was dangerous to go out.

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/31/12 at 12:09am

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 61

That last part is just absolutely ridiculous.  Wow.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #4 of 61

Yep.  That was in some news story I read... can't find it right now.

- - - - - - -

Mittens won't answer questions about FEMA.

He once said that if he explained his positions he wouldn't get elected.  Same for FEMA, I guess.

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/31/12 at 4:57am

post #5 of 61

It is pathetic a multimillionaire cannot share his tremendous wealth with others less unfortunate than him in this time of need than giving out small packages to others helping out in the Red Cross.Obama has a heart. Romney has an agenda to win this election at any cost.

post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

It is pathetic a multimillionaire cannot share his tremendous wealth with others less unfortunate than him in this time of need than giving out small packages to others helping out in the Red Cross.Obama has a heart. Romney has an agenda to win this election at any cost.

I'm sure if Romney donated $10 million to the relief efforts that you would be calling it a scandal that Romney either a) didn't donate MORE of his massive wealth, or b) "what a blatantly political ploy", and he should be investigated as this could be construed as a method of buying votes.  This is really a no win situation for Mitt Romney.  No matter what he may say publicly the left is going to deride him for making political hay out of a tragedy.  Staying quiet about the event doesn't work either because then the left will present that as Romney was nowhere to be seen and didn't care.  I think that using his campaign events to help raise monetary and material donations is probably the best compromise and even this receives nothing but derision for the left.

post #7 of 61

Do it quietly and without the photo ops.  Don't violate the Red Cross guidelines, then pressure the Red Cross into accepting material donations they don't want.  It's not that hard.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Do it quietly and without the photo ops.  Don't violate the Red Cross guidelines, then pressure the Red Cross into accepting material donations they don't want.  It's not that hard.

Had it been an actual collection, Mittens would have just helped out and maybe sweated a little.  There would have been no line for people to shake his hand and snap photos.

The process they had set up required a lot of time to collect very little in supplies.  Everything and everybody had to be checked before entering the building.  There was a single line.  Were the goods sorted, cleaned, checked?  

Did they have any idea what was actually needed in the disaster area?  Were they coordinating with any of groups or with local authorities so that, for example, one neighborhood didn't get a delivery of 1000 pairs of shoes for 20 people in need?  Where was the organization?

It was not a true donation gathering, but merely a stump gathering under a different flag.

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/31/12 at 6:31am

post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Had it been an actual collection, Mittens would have just helped out and maybe sweated a little.  There would have been no line for people to shake his hand and snap photos.

The process they had set up required a lot of time to collect very little in supplies.  Everything and everybody had to be checked before entering the building.  There was a single line.  Were the goods sorted, cleaned, checked?  

Did they have any idea what was actually needed in the disaster area?  Were they coordinating with any of groups or with local authorities so that, for example, one neighborhood didn't get a delivery of 1000 pairs of shoes for 20 people in need?  Where was the organization?

It was not a true donation gathering, but merely a stump gathering under a different flag.

You have asked a number of questions here and provide nothing in the way of answers.  I suppose you are assuming that the answers to all of these questions are self-evident, but they are not.  Seeing as how we are talking about a guy who successfully ran a major company for many years and was the governor of one of the states impacted by the disaster, I'm going to guess that he has a bit of a clue about the organization necessary for this kind of relief effort.  I'm sure he is no expert, but my guess is that he did involve some local charities to assist with the collection and distribution of the collected items.  Anything else would be simply idiotic, and even if you can't stand the guy I think you can at least give him credit for not being a complete idiot.  Heck, I don't even view Obama as a complete idiot.

As for the single line...  I'm sure that there were tons of people who can and dropped off donations without being herded thru the line to shake Mitt's hand.  I'm equally sure that a LOT of people wanted to be in that line to shake his hand seeing as how he is a very popular political figure.  You think the Secret Service would have wanted him just wandering randomly thru a crowd of that size?  Hell, I wouldn't fault Obama for shaking hands with people who wanted to see him.  I actually give Obama some credit for halting his campaign and being in the White House to be a reassuring figure during this crisis.  I mean, it's not as if the President is actually doing anything, but the appearance of support from the President is absolutely a good thing for the region during a time like this even if it's a President that you don't like or agree with.

post #10 of 61

you must be all democrats here, instead of judging so well on Mitt Romney how about pres O is really here on the storm and helping I think that is great...but have you forgot his response on that oils spill he ignored the help for people for along time..or how about when Libya happened and 4 American's were murdered...he was watching that happen and knew within 24 hours, oh wait !! the same room he is in and was watching storm Sandy going on and being available for helping....this is a White House Cover up that happened..so he has to look good for the storm...you people need to open your eyes and know this is pres O's way of getting votes...so quit chopping down Mitt and notice the Pres O is involved in something way worse than Water Gate was....you need to really look up all this scandle going on with White House....I really have questions on our leader we have had in the last 4 years..you might check out information and see if you have questions.

post #11 of 61

Romney's Tea Party pandering by saying he would shutter FEMA-

"During a CNN debate at the height of the GOP primary, Mitt Romney was asked, in the context of the Joplin disaster and FEMA's cash crunch, whether the agency should be shuttered so that states can individually take over responsibility for disaster response.

"Absolutely," he said. "Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better."

~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/28/mitt-romney-fema_n_2036198.html

Or is he just trying to make some money out of peoples suffering? I notice he's wishy washy on global warming-

""There's something pathological" about "the weird Republican obsession with killing FEMA," or the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the New York Times columnist wrote in a blog postWednesday. "It’s really hard to think of a public service less likely to be suitable for privatization."

Romney's FEMA plan may not be all that surprising, given that the Republican candidate has also proposed giving the private market greater control over services like health care. Romney and running-mate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) have proposed a voucher system for Medicare and a block-grant Medicaid program for states. Their Medicare plan would cost current 29-year-olds about $331,200 more on average over the course of retirement than the current Medicare system, according to a recent report by the Center for American Progress."

~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/paul-krugman-mitt-romney-fema_n_2050113.html

Edited by Hands Sandon - 10/31/12 at 2:20pm
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
he was watching that happen [in reference to Benghazi]

False.  Stop spreading your Fox News lies.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/benghazi.asp

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #13 of 61

So, apparently the Romney campaign took a little Wal-Mart trip prior to the political rally--errr..."relief event"--just in case the crowd didn't bring a lot of donations themselves.  Turns out, members of the crowd who wanted to meet Romney were told to take some of the items the campaign brought and pretend to donate them, instead.  Completely staged bullshit.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-making-of-romneys-storm-relief-event

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #14 of 61

I don't ever think I've seen supporters or a candidate as desperate as the Obama campaign.

I wonder how much real outrage they will have after the election when they realize their false outrage has failed to move anyone.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #15 of 61

Obama is politicizing Sandy as well. I'm a Democrat, work on Democratic campaigns, and I still see it. Did you notice that Governer Cuomo, Senator Schumer, and Senator Gilibrand all thanked President Obama for several minutes during a press conference on Sandy. It's not just Republicans.

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

post #16 of 61
Quote:

It was just a matter of time before this thread popped up.  Romney lent campaign busses to distribute supplies, pulled all advertising and fundraising efforts in affected states for two days, and converted rallies to storm relief events.  Thousands of people showed up, donated cash and goods, etc.  He had large signs up giving people info on how to donate to the Red Cross via text.  

Meanwhile, Obama slipped his campaign slogan "forward" into his FEMA photo-op, and Jay Carney doesn't know that the POTUS can't postpone an election.  Typical.   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessedapple View Post

Obama is politicizing Sandy as well. I'm a Democrat, work on Democratic campaigns, and I still see it. Did you notice that Governer Cuomo, Senator Schumer, and Senator Gilibrand all thanked President Obama for several minutes during a press conference on Sandy. It's not just Republicans.

Christie has really spoken highly of Obama, and he's Republican who just a couple of days ago was spewing bile against the president in support of Mittens.

Hs comments on Fox and Friends (the three stooges) was awesome.  

post #18 of 61
Quote:

So, apparently the Romney campaign took a little Wal-Mart trip prior to the political rally--errr..."relief event"--just in case the crowd didn't bring a lot of donations themselves.  Turns out, members of the crowd who wanted to meet Romney were told to take some of the items the campaign brought and pretend to donate them, instead.  Completely staged bullshit.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-making-of-romneys-storm-relief-event

That must have been the guy with the bag in the video I linked to.

Absolutely pathetic.  

I would expect something loftier from a bishop.

post #19 of 61

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF4oc6JeIfU

ROMNESIA1eek.gif 

DOES HE HAVE NO SHAME?!!!

"I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters," Romney said in a statement supplied by his campaign Wednesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/mitt-romney-sandy_n_2049852.html

Edited by Hands Sandon - 10/31/12 at 6:59pm

post #20 of 61
Quote:

Christie has really spoken highly of Obama, and he's Republican who just a couple of days ago was spewing bile against the president in support of Mittens.

I never trust anything a fat guy says. He just wants the power turned on at McDonald's so he can buy more hamburgers.

Edited by mstone - 11/1/12 at 8:02pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #21 of 61

It takes some order of gall for Republicans to step up on their soapboxes of hypocrisy and duplicity to comment on their opposition's response to a natural disaster... in view of their own responses to major natural disasters which have been inept and incompetent to the extent that "they couldn't have done it worse even if they had tried". In 1992, under the watch of President George H.W. Bush, Hurricane Andrew leveled an area south of Miami. The storm was forecast by the National Hurricane Center with near pinpoint accuracy for at least 48 hours prior to landfall. After the storm exited Florida leaving a massive swath of complete destruction, FEMA was nowhere to be found. Desperate people with only the clothes on their backs were appealing for help on TV, and help never arrived until 3 days afterwards. This is when FEMA initially got their 'bad reputation', The people affected in the area to get torn up by Andrew's 165mph winds were what Ann Romney arrogantly calls 'the little people'. People who, in her snotty filtered opinion, count for little, presumably because they don't have the necessary financial wherewithal to warrant communicating with.

13 years later came one of America's 3 worst "days of infamy", courtesy of the Department of Homeland Security, headed by arch neocon Michael Chertoff. The day in question was August 29, 2005, when Hurricane Katrina wrecked much of the Gulf Coast, and large portions of major US city were destroyed. Once again, the storm's track was accurately forecast by the NWS days in advance, yet after Katrina moved inland and dissipated, what happened to people in the MS and LA Gulf Coast, especially New Orleans? No answer is needed - we all know what happened, as regards the disgusting, criminally inept and psychopathic response from the Bush Administration and it's élitist officials - it was as if "those who got were predominantly working class poor, and black people... so, they don't count - let them suffer - they are not worthy of help"... as typified by the pigheadedly arrogant, outlandish commentary by Barbara Bush, the former First Lady who said that the evacuees were "better off at the Astrodome because they were underprivileged".

Just a couple of years later came another massive disaster - the 2007 San Diego firestorms in which 1 million were evacuated and 1500 homes were destroyed... but in this case the response by FEMA and Bush Administration officials was exemplary - and in addition, the evacuees received not only prompt relief in the form of food, drink, first aid, camp beds blankets, and the like, but were also treated to rock concerts, movies, massage sessions, yoga workshops, and displaced children received toys by the truckload. Very nice - exactly as it should be... except the demographic (white, well off, largely conservative middle class stronghold) in this case was undoubtedly deemed more acceptable to the powers that be for assistance than those in New Orleans - who were treated as criminals at best -  even shot at and killed in some cases by thugs working for Blackwater Inc. (corporate terrorist gang) - presumably because of their "less preferred race, color and financial status".

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #22 of 61

THAT IS ROMNEY COMPLETE BULLSHIT WITH HIS OTHER PHONY RYAN.

post #23 of 61

Dave give it up Romney is a phony and no excuses you can make will change this man's attitude towards the poor, middle class and seniors.He is a parasite that soaks off others! Absorb what others are telling you here.

post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

ROMNESIA1eek.gif

DOES HE HAVE NO SHAME?!!!

"I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters," Romney said in a statement supplied by his campaign Wednesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/mitt-romney-sandy_n_2049852.html

He also went on in that interview/statement to say that, "because states and localities are in the best position to get aid to the individuals and communities affected by natural disasters."  I don't see what is so incredibly contradictory here.  He believes that the states are better able to manage emergency disaster preparedness and response than the federal government, and I don't disagree with that.  That said, in a disaster of this magnitude there is always going to be a role for the federal government in helping the states with resources and interstate coordination.  I think the take away from this is that MUCH of what FEMA does could be turned back over to the states.

Always nice to see how you guys twist yourselves in knots trying to spin anyone who doesn't agree with you words against them.

post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

It takes some order of gall for Republicans to step up on their soapboxes of hypocrisy and duplicity to comment on their opposition's response to a natural disaster... in view of their own responses to major natural disasters which have been inept and incompetent to the extent that "they couldn't have done it worse even if they had tried". In 1992, under the watch of President George H.W. Bush, Hurricane Andrew leveled an area south of Miami. The storm was forecast by the National Hurricane Center with near pinpoint accuracy for at least 48 hours prior to landfall. After the storm exited Florida leaving a massive swath of complete destruction, FEMA was nowhere to be found. Desperate people with only the clothes on their backs were appealing for help on TV, and help never arrived until 3 days afterwards. This is when FEMA initially got their 'bad reputation', The people affected in the area to get torn up by Andrew's 165mph winds were what Ann Romney arrogantly calls 'the little people'. People who, in her snotty filtered opinion, count for little, presumably because they don't have the necessary financial wherewithal to warrant communicating with.

13 years later came one of America's 3 worst "days of infamy", courtesy of the Department of Homeland Security, headed by arch neocon Michael Chertoff. The day in question was August 29, 2005, when Hurricane Katrina wrecked much of the Gulf Coast, and large portions of major US city were destroyed. Once again, the storm's track was accurately forecast by the NWS days in advance, yet after Katrina moved inland and dissipated, what happened to people in the MS and LA Gulf Coast, especially New Orleans? No answer is needed - we all know what happened, as regards the disgusting, criminally inept and psychopathic response from the Bush Administration and it's élitist officials - it was as if "those who got were predominantly working class poor, and black people... so, they don't count - let them suffer - they are not worthy of help"... as typified by the pigheadedly arrogant, outlandish commentary by Barbara Bush, the former First Lady who said that the evacuees were "better off at the Astrodome because they were underprivileged".

Just a couple of years later came another massive disaster - the 2007 San Diego firestorms in which 1 million were evacuated and 1500 homes were destroyed... but in this case the response by FEMA and Bush Administration officials was exemplary - and in addition, the evacuees received not only prompt relief in the form of food, drink, first aid, camp beds blankets, and the like, but were also treated to rock concerts, movies, massage sessions, yoga workshops, and displaced children received toys by the truckload. Very nice - exactly as it should be... except the demographic (white, well off, largely conservative middle class stronghold) in this case was undoubtedly deemed more acceptable to the powers that be for assistance than those in New Orleans - who were treated as criminals at best -  even shot at and killed in some cases by thugs working for Blackwater Inc. (corporate terrorist gang) - presumably because of their "less preferred race, color and financial status".

Cherry-picking a little bit here are we?  FEMA was established in 1979, so since the department's inception there has been 20 years of Republican executive leadership as compared to only 12 years of Democratic leadership.  Odds are that Republican administrations are going to be hit with more issues during that relatively brief history.  You also seem to have omitted the heat wave of 1995 that killed over 700 people, mostly poor, black, and elderly in and around Chicago.  Clinton waited over a week to respond to that little issue, and over 450 people were dead before he even bothered to engage FEMA.

As to the San Diego firestorms in 2007...  I assume if that disaster had received the same inadequate level of response from FEMA then you would be happy with that result?  You wouldn't by chance have been screaming that why had FEMA learned nothing from Katrina?  Isn't it just possible that FEMA received a major black eye from Katrina and was therefore better prepared and a bit eager to try and improve their rather battered reputation?  Nah, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with lessons learned.  It HAS to be because the entire Republican party is nothing but evil racists.  Yeah, that's it.  Although, what exactly does that say about Clinton and the Democrats???

post #26 of 61

Speaking of politicizing hurricane Sandy...

I like how this terrible disaster has become a launching pad for some big government folks to wag their fingers at those who argue for smaller government and say: "See, we need big government." Of course they all use any number of fallacies to "prove" their points. One even jumped right into straw man mode.

Four years ago it was the financial crisis that "proved" we needed government to protected us from "unregulated and unrestrained" capitalism. Now it is government that must save us from natural disasters. It's almost like government is god in some people's eyes: Omniscient, omnipotent, caring, loving, etc.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #27 of 61

post #28 of 61
Quote:

Hard-core left-winger dissess Republican and unknown left-wing forum poster agrees and considers this proof that Romney is a bad person. Film at 11.

1rolleyes.gif

post #29 of 61

Mittens says cleaning up after Sandy is like cleaning a football field after a celebration.  Really.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/10/31/romney-compares-sandy-relief-to-cleaning-up-after-high-school-football-game/

post #30 of 61
Quote:

Mittens says cleaning up after Sandy is like cleaning a football field after a celebration.  Really.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/10/31/romney-compares-sandy-relief-to-cleaning-up-after-high-school-football-game/

And here we see another example of Romney Derangement Disorder or Partisan Derangement Disorder. Anything Romney says is immediately viewed in the most negative light.

The left looks pretty fucking desperate.

post #31 of 61
Quote:

Lets look at that quote shall we?
Quote:
I remember once we had a football field at my high school. The field was covered with rubbish and paper goods from people who’d had a big celebration there at the game. And there was a group of us there assigned to clean it up. And I thought, ‘how are we going to clean up all the mess on this football field?’ There were just a few of us. And the person responsible for organizing the effort said, ‘Just line up along the yard lines. You go between the goal line and the 10-yard line, and the next person between the 10 and 20, and just walk down and do your lane. And if everybody cleans their lanes, we’ll get it done.’ And so today, we’re cleaning one lane if you will.

So obviously we are not dealing with a football game. But is there any truth to be had here? WE have a mess that seems so large and out of hand that there does not seem to be a reasonable way to fix it. So what do we do? We all take our places and do our parts (clean our lanes) to ensure that the mess gets cleaned up. Everyone work together and do what we can and each little bit will work towards a common goal of getting the mess cleaned up.

s/ OMG, your right, what an idiot... /s
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #32 of 61

You know who really impedes disaster relief efforts? The politicians that pass laws or threaten so-called "price gougers."

Here's one reason why.

post #33 of 61
Here is something else that is impeding relief efforts:

Nonunion crews turned away from Sandy recovery

People are suffering and able-bodied men and women willing to help are being rejected over union rules? Really?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #34 of 61
But the mainstream media mega-corporations who are in bed with government are certainly willing to lend a hand, right?

Two massive generators power NY media while people continue to go without electricity

They even have a backup generator just sitting there in case one goes out.

post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

But the mainstream media mega-corporations who are in bed with government are certainly willing to lend a hand, right?
Two massive generators power NY media while people continue to go without electricity
They even have a backup generator just sitting there in case one goes out.

So, who is going to decide which 400 homes get the juice instead of the marathon?  You do realize that you are now advocating confiscating private property don't you?  This has absolutely nothing to do with corporations being "in bed with government".  This is the simple fact that the organizers of this event purchased these generators for their event and are using them for that purpose.

post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

So, who is going to decide which 400 homes get the juice instead of the marathon?  You do realize that you are now advocating confiscating private property don't you?  This has absolutely nothing to do with corporations being "in bed with government".  This is the simple fact that the organizers of this event purchased these generators for their event and are using them for that purpose.

I am advocating no such thing. Please do not put words in my mouth.

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I am advocating no such thing. Please do not put words in my mouth.

OK.  Sorry about that.  The article seems to be advocating for the confiscation of private property for the common good.  The article doesn't address the question of who gets to determine which 400 houses get the juice that these generators could provide.

post #38 of 61
Quote:

Maddow is disgusting....absolutely disgusting.  

post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I don't ever think I've seen supporters or a candidate as desperate as the Obama campaign.

I wonder how much real outrage they will have after the election when they realize their false outrage has failed to move anyone.

I'd have to say, reading these threads as an unaffiliated observer, that I cannot distinguish much difference in style of attack between left and right. I see just as much false outrage from both sides.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

OK.  Sorry about that.  The article seems to be advocating for the confiscation of private property for the common good.  The article doesn't address the question of who gets to determine which 400 houses get the juice that these generators could provide.

It's OK. I posted the article to inform folks about what was happening. The author's opinions are his/her own. As a libertarian, I believe very strongly in property rights, so using government to confiscate anyone's property without their consent is wrong in my book.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Romney blatantly politicizes Sandy; impedes real relief efforts