or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month

post #1 of 113
Thread Starter 
Sales of Google and Asustek's Nexus 7 tablet have steadily increased since its launch, and are now near 1 million units per month.

Asustek Chief Financial Officer David Chang told The Wall Street Journal that Nexus 7 sales have grown from a start of about 500,000 units in the first month. In the latest month of sales, the number was "close to 1 million."

The figures suggest that Google's low-priced tablet has been a moderate success in the tablet market, though nowhere near as popular as Apple's iPad. In its last three-month frame, Apple sold 14 million iPads, which was a 26 percent unit increase from the same quarter a year ago.

Total sales or more specific figures for the Nexus 7 have not been revealed by Asustek or Google. Amazon has also been cagey about revealing sales figures for its 7-inch Kindle Fire tablet.

Nexus


The Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire face stiff competition from Apple's new 7.9-inch iPad mini, which will go on sale this Friday. The iPad mini has a starting price of $329, which places it at a premium over the $199 entry price of the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7.

Google refreshed the Nexus 7 this week by doubling the capacity of the $199 model to 16 gigabytes. a 32-gigabyte model is also available for $249. A model with HSPA+ mobile connectivity with 32 gigabytes of memory is also available for $299.

The Nexus 7 debuted earlier this year in July with Google's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. It has been seen as an attempt by Google to counter the Kindle Fire, which runs a forked version of Android tailored by Amazon to sell products through its online store.
post #2 of 113
sold products or shipped into the channels?
post #3 of 113
"Approach one million" and "close to one million"... Still not one million...
post #4 of 113

I think people get this wrong.  Android tablets are comparing themselves to the ipad, but the real threat is the windows tablets. 

 

Apple fans are going to continu to buy into Apple because Apple has an extremely high retention ratio, but the Android and Windows buyers are all the same. If windows surface takes off, Android is going to be the one suffering from it.

post #5 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

sold products or shipped into the channels?

I was thinking the same thing. Plus how many were returned.

Interesting that 2.5-3 million in 3 months is of note for this device when Apple probably did that in ship to home preorders.

I would love to see a device what really competes with the iPads because that has benefits for Apple but yet again this doesn't seem like it did it. Not even close

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #6 of 113

Apple appears to be selling about 4.7 million units a month and that is comparing to the Nexus 7 which is just short of a million a month (whatever that means). It still shows there is plenty of room in the tablet market. 

 

Also shipped vs sold is a weird thing. Companies like Samsung and Asus can only count shipped product because they might do much direct to customer sales. Apple does more direct sales than channel sales, so it is an easier thing for them to report. Either way complaining about shipped vs sold doesn't get you very far.

post #7 of 113

I don't really think the Nexus7 marketing had much to do with the iPad to begin with. It was more an answer to Amazon's product. IMO that makes anything close to a million a month pretty darn good, going up against Amazon's market presence and success with smaller tablets and readers.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think people get this wrong.  Android tablets are comparing themselves to the ipad, but the real threat is the windows tablets. 

The comparisons, be it by themselves or the media, are because the iPad is seen as the target.

But I have to agree with you that at least for the month no one item has a snowballs change in hades and they should be trying to be the best 'other' in the market before going after the currently untouchable winner

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


I was thinking the same thing. Plus how many were returned.
Interesting that 2.5-3 million in 3 months is of note for this device when Apple probably did that in ship to home preorders.
I would love to see a device what really competes with the iPads because that has benefits for Apple but yet again this doesn't seem like it did it. Not even close


The news is that Asustek reported how many they had sold... to Google when shipping into channels. In this case, if it's not been sold to customers yet, the WSJ still could be right, literally, about the report.

post #10 of 113
If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.
post #11 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.


these cheap gadgets pollute the globe.

post #12 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

This makes sense. Others want to be validated by the fact that the device they choose to use is the most popular.

post #13 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO7JbLLD40gFvluoijNCsS4Eq2b6N9uHfAl9bxVY3Ib8N3bFodtw

 

World domination is ALWAYS the goal...

post #14 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

 

No, I don't think world domination has ever been the goal at Apple. The iPod was an accident.

 

It's a different psychology than at Microsoft and, now, Google, where they see themselves as under constant threat from "enemies" and, thus, believe they must dominate everything or fail. The problem with that psychology is that, once you no longer dominate everything, as has happened with Microsoft, you've already set yourself up to fail.

post #15 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

Agree. Couldn't care one bit who is more popular.

post #16 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

No, I don't think world domination has ever been the goal at Apple. The iPod was an accident.

 

It's a different psychology than at Microsoft and, now, Google, where they see themselves as under constant threat from "enemies" and, thus, believe they must dominate everything or fail. The problem with that psychology is that, once you no longer dominate everything, as has happened with Microsoft, you've already set yourself up to fail.

 

Agreed.  

 

If Apple were only about world domination, the iPad Mini would have been priced at $249.  Apple is about making great products and making money while they're at it, not the other way around.  That's why MS and GOOG fall short on user experience, they're about making $$ first and making a few products while they're at it.

 

I am sure people will argue that Apple is a company and the bottom line is all that matters, and I get it. I do.  But that isn't how they handle their business.

post #17 of 113
Approach? Its a funny term here! Write a post when they reach 1 million.
post #18 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

Apple fans are going to continu to buy into Apple because Apple has an extremely high retention ratio, but the Android and Windows buyers are all the same. If windows surface takes off, Android is going to be the one suffering from it.

How does one become an Apple fan? Is this something genetic? And are there separate genes for MP3 players, tablets, smartphones, and computers? Because Apple's market share differs widely in these different markets, so a single gene cannot really explain it. 

post #19 of 113
They should add the tagline: "Cheapskates love it!"
post #20 of 113

I always have to laugh about the web statistics of Android devices. Either they are complete junk and no one uses them or their users are too dumb to use a web browser.

post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.


Agree.

 

Not long ago, there was this debate about what activation means and whether there were more iPhone or Android activations per day. Even Steve Jobs and Apple played that game for a while until Android moved clearly ahead. Yet, is the iPhone suffering at all? Its sales number keeps growing and it remains the premium yet popular phone.

post #22 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of Google and Asustek's Nexus 7 tablet have steadily increased since its launch, and are now near 1 million units per month.

 

Not for long. I bet the Mini takes a huge bite out of this (and every other tablet sales).

 

Any guess on Mini first week sales? 5 Million?

post #23 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

"Approach one million" and "close to one million"... Still not one million...

 

It's one million, what's the difference. The mini will sell 4+ million per month.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

Well when all you have going for you is market share of course that's your mantra. When you can't compete on quality, ease of use, customer satisfaction, developer interest, profit margins, etc. the number of widgets pumped out the factory door becomes your goal.

Amazon sells the Kindles at a loss supposedly and they reported a loss in their financial results. Google and Amazon's business models are to sell the "printer" at a loss and make money on the "ink." Hey, it worked for HP for awhile didn't it.? Apple's model is the exact opposite.

So yes, as long as Apple is selling product at a pace it can barely keep up with we fans should be pleased and not worry about market share. The tech world, however, lives and dies by market share. Selling more means it's the better product in their eyes, even if you lose money in the process.
post #25 of 113

Before iPad Mini approaching 1 million per month. After iPad Mini approaching 1 million per quarter.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #26 of 113

But what happens after all the Fandroid sheep buy them?  Who will buy them next??

Oh, that's right... fandroids think they represent the majority of consumers.  My bad.  Nevermind.

post #27 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Before iPad Mini approaching 1 million per month. After iPad Mini approaching 1 million per quarter.

I don't think the iPad Mini will have much negative effect on the Nexus7, nor will sales of that device have much effect on iPad Mini sales. There's lots of potential market for both.  IMO the overall sales in 7-8" tablets will handily outpace their larger brethren in short order.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

Agreed.  

 

If Apple were only about world domination, the iPad Mini would have been priced at $249.  Apple is about making great products and making money while they're at it, not the other way around.  That's why MS and GOOG fall short on user experience, they're about making $$ first and making a few products while they're at it.

 

I am sure people will argue that Apple is a company and the bottom line is all that matters, and I get it. I do.  But that isn't how they handle their business.

Pricing the ipad mini lower would not make any difference at this time.  When you sell all you can make just as quickly as you make them, why price it cheaper?  You aren't going to sell any more because there aren't any more to sell.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #29 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of Google and Asustek's Nexus 7 tablet have steadily increased since its launch, and are now near 1 million units per month.
 

not for long. actually, not any more.

post #30 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

sold products or shipped into the channels?

 

landfills

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #31 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Pricing the ipad mini lower would not make any difference at this time.  When you sell all you can make just as quickly as you make them, why price it cheaper?  You aren't going to sell any more because there aren't any more to sell.

 

Good point, you're right.

post #32 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO7JbLLD40gFvluoijNCsS4Eq2b6N9uHfAl9bxVY3Ib8N3bFodtw

 

World domination is ALWAYS the goal...

 

Number 2, did you say we have sold almost one      MILLION         Nexus 7s?

post #33 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think the iPad Mini will have much negative effect on the Nexus7, nor will sales of that device have much effect on iPad Mini sales. There's lots of potential market for both.  IMO the overall sales in 7-8" tablets will handily outpace their larger brethren in short order.

 

Based on what? Apple simply wasn't in the small tablet market, this is the primary reason it exists. It was a way to not compete directly against the iPad.  Competing directly against iPad was an abject failure with  10" class tablet not even making a dent.

 

Now Apple is entering small tablet market as well.  It would be unreasonable to expect them to dominate that as well.

 

Going from little competition to a new dominant player entering the market can't help but decrease sales for the Nexus 7.

post #34 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I always have to laugh about the web statistics of Android devices. Either they are complete junk and no one uses them or their users are too dumb to use a web browser.


That continues to puzzle. I don't believe that all the "other" tablets or smartphones are going to landfill. And I certainly see enough Samsung Galaxy's out there (but not Tab). So what are these devices doing off the web? For that matter, why are they equally poorly represented on Flickr?

post #35 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

 

Based on what? Apple simply wasn't in the small tablet market, this is the primary reason it exists. It was a way to not compete directly against the iPad.  Competing directly against iPad was an abject failure with  10" class tablet not even making a dent.

 

Now Apple is entering small tablet market as well.  It would be unreasonable to expect them to dominate that as well.

 

Going from little competition to a new dominant player entering the market can't help but decrease sales for the Nexus 7.

If you read what I wrote, based on an expanding market. Sales of the Nexus7 will go on despite the iPad Mini. Lots of market for everyone to enjoy some success.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

Number 2, did you say we have sold almost one      MILLION         Nexus 7s?

That's better than one BILLION Nexus 7s!

post #37 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well when all you have going for you is market share of course that's your mantra. When you can't compete on quality, ease of use, customer satisfaction, developer interest, profit margins, etc. the number of widgets pumped out the factory door becomes your goal.
Amazon sells the Kindles at a loss supposedly and they reported a loss in their financial results. Google and Amazon's business models are to sell the "printer" at a loss and make money on the "ink." Hey, it worked for HP for awhile didn't it.? Apple's model is the exact opposite.
So yes, as long as Apple is selling product at a pace it can barely keep up with we fans should be pleased and not worry about market share. The tech world, however, lives and dies by market share. Selling more means it's the better product in their eyes, even if you lose money in the process.

The problem in the tablet market is the Amazon and now Google "race to the bottom" pricing. Those two companies have other revenue streams to monetize "at cost" tablet sales.

Asus, Acer, HTC, etc.. Don't have alternate revenue streams in this "new" market of tablets. These OEMs are never going to see the profit margins that Dell, HP, Compaq,Gateway etc... used to see in the 1990s-2008.

The tablet market just started and we're already at the netbook stage. This means most of these Android OEMs will see $10-30 profits from each device sold, nothing like the $100+ that Apple will earn.

Google's "openness" allowed Amazon to set the "at cost" pricing with which no other Android OEM can compete.

If you are a developer, which platform would you target or spend more effort developing for? The platform where people are willing to pay a premium or the platform where people are shopping based on how cheap a tablet is? The later are the people who will spend less money on apps and the developer has to rely on in app advertising.

It's no surprise the lack of Android tablet specific apps.
post #38 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think the iPad Mini will have much negative effect on the Nexus7, nor will sales of that device have much effect on iPad Mini sales. There's lots of potential market for both.  IMO the overall sales in 7-8" tablets will handily outpace their larger brethren in short order.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

 

Based on what? Apple simply wasn't in the small tablet market, this is the primary reason it exists. It was a way to not compete directly against the iPad.  Competing directly against iPad was an abject failure with  10" class tablet not even making a dent.

 

Now Apple is entering small tablet market as well.  It would be unreasonable to expect them to dominate that as well.

 

Going from little competition to a new dominant player entering the market can't help but decrease sales for the Nexus 7.

 

The interesting thing now is both Apple and Google have a "line-up" - 4-5" smartphones, 7-8" mini tablets and ~10" tablets. So, in principle, Google fans are going to enjoy the choices they can make within their brand of choice. Likewise, Apple fans are going to walk into an Apple store choosing from the Apple lineup. In places like BestBuy, Apple may retain the advantage because iPads/iPhones will have their exclusive display, where the Nexus devices will share counter space with other non-iOS devices. At carriers, the iPhone numbers speak for themselves. But we don't know about iPad sales there. We also constantly hear about staff at AT&T and Verizon up-selling Android over iPhone. Are they doing the same with iPad? Does it matter?

 

It is also interesting that Android enjoys a larger sales advantage in Europe, where the vaunted Apple ecosystem is far stronger.

post #39 of 113

I'm a little sick of reading the same circular rationalizations around here about why Apple doesn't have to respond or worry about any other forces or competitors in the market.

 

You're talking to a guy who sold his Amiga to buy a Mac Classic II. You're talking to a guy who has two Macs, three iPhones, and several iPods in his home.

 

Real Estate never goes down. The rules have changed with these internet stocks. We don't need to worry about revenue.

 

Every time someone says the rules don't really matter in this one case, they get smashed in the fact with the truth.

 

Apple is undergoing some very clear shake ups and while they used to blow away their own conservative estimates and even the whisper numbers Wall Street could mutter, now they are barely meeting their own estimates.

 

You can't say nothing will ever hit Apple or cause a change in the market just because Apple is Apple. That's nonsense.

 

Apple is already largely ceding majority marketshare to Android. Then the talk was that while a consortium of Android manufacturers was outselling Apple, Apple was still shipping more than every individual company. Now Samsung is outshipping Apple. Apple still has a strong hold in the countries where purchases are subsidized with expensive post-paid contracts. In areas of the world where this isn't true Apple is losing share.

 

Android competitors started off behind. Then they reached parity on hardware. Then they started to exceed Apple but we didn't mind waiting a few extra months to see what Apple would come up with next. We are now at a stage where Apple has just released all their pent up products and Google unleashes products that match or best Apple six days later. This isn't Spring as it has been the last couple years and we will wait until September (after first wondering what happened to July releases) to see what Apple will do to match the competition. Apple threw their best out there and it isn't going to be good enough.

 

Does this mean Apple dies? No. Does it mean Apple will automatically lose? No. Does it mean Apple won't sell anything? No.

 

A million units at $200-250 a unit is over $2 billion of revenue a month. Since when the hell did we start turning up our noses and ignoring competition only generating $2 billion in sales a month? Also it is only one competitor. Apple has to beat a dozen of them. Are we going to hear the same tired refrains? Yes but none of them ship more than Apple. Apple has majority share. Then Apple has minority majority share. Then finally Apple has a very large share and takes better profits. Then......

 

We shouldn't want until those final outcomes. Apple needs to step it up.

 

Google just refreshed this line. A 32 gig model WITH cellular radio is $30 cheaper than the baseline iPad mini. I understand Apple products are premium but the reality is the iPad line is more vunerable because there are no cell providers helping hid the true cost with confusing subsidized contracts. There are no cell companies stealing the price difference as profits. Right now as an example, a Samsung Galaxy S3 basically looks no different in cost to an iPhone 5 to U.S. consumers because the major cell providers charge $199 for each and sign both customers to 2 year contracts. They just pay Samsung less and keep more for themselves in profits or they may even be using those cheaper phones to help subsidize what they have to pay Apple for the iPhone.

 

The point is the contracts are a form of hidden credit and distort the prices within the market. When those distortions sort out, Apple could be hurting. Likewise since there is no subsidy model for the iPad, Apple could have a much harder time and cede marketshare that much faster.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #40 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of Google and Asustek's Nexus 7 tablet have steadily increased since its launch, and are now near 1 million units per month.

 

 

Which is about to come to an end. 

 

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month