or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

post #1 of 116
Amazon has pulled an advertisement from its website slamming the iPad mini after it was discovered that Apple's 7.9-inch tablet does in fact feature stereo speakers.

Stereo

Following the announcement of the iPad mini, Amazon prominently displayed a comparison chart on its front page designed to promote the retailer's $199 Kindle Fire HD. In addition to criticizing the $329 price of the iPad mini, Amazon also claimed Apple's new tablet as a "mono speaker," while the Kindle Fire HD has "dual stereo speakers."

But with iPad mini units now in the hands of reviewers, it has been discovered that the iPad mini does in fact have stereo speakers. That's an upgrade from all previous iPad models, and even the new full-size fourth-generation iPad, all of which have a single mono speaker.

Joshua Topolsky of The Verge noted in his review that the iPad mini has a "good-sounding set of stereo speakers." The two separate channels are located on the bottom of the device, to the left and right of the centered Lightning port.

On Wednesday, after the first iPad mini reviews were published, Amazon updated its website and removed the advertisement for the Kindle Fire.

Amazon

The 9.7-inch iPad has one speaker located to the right of the Lightning port on the back of the device. Stereo sound can still be achieved through external speakers or headphones.

While Amazon touted the stereo speakers on the Kindle Fire HD at the product's unveiling in September, Apple chose to not reveal that the iPad mini has stereo speakers when it introduced the 7.9-inch tablet. Apple's own website also led users to believe the iPad mini would have one mono speaker, as the "tech specs" of the device refer to only a singular "built-in speaker."
post #2 of 116

Yep, I mentioned this yesterday.

The Kindle Fire is merely an ad infested shopping portal for Amazon. The iPad Mini is a far superior tablet. 

post #3 of 116

Amazon's home page advertisement is truly deceptive and disingenuous...and as a long time Amazon customer, I filed a formal complaint...that I am no longer a customer unless their ad/marketing policies are revised.

post #4 of 116

Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 116
Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.
post #6 of 116
Only one of these two companies makes a product with built-in ads. You tell me which one wants to please their customers?
post #7 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."

Is that a sub woofer or just triple stereo speakers? lol.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not 3.  4.

Bezos is working on the first Quadraphonic Kindle.  With 3D screen.  See if you can beat that, Apple!

post #9 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is that a sub woofer or just triple stereo speakers? lol.gif

Triophonic surround sound.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Not 3.  4.

Bezos is working on the first Quadraphonic Kindle.  With 3D screen.  See if you can beat that, Apple!

Then Google will just have come out with 3DD screens for the NexXxus. Take that, Amazon.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 116
About time, because my iPad 2 sounds abysmal compared to my TouchPad's speakers.
post #12 of 116
The worst part was really quoting the terrible Gizmodo blog.
post #13 of 116

That "we's gotz more stereo than Ipad" Amazon ad is like a Jedi mind trick: it only works on the weak-minded.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 116

From Apple's tech spec page:

• Built-in speaker

Singular, not plural. The picture at the top of this article shows a line pointing to a: built-in speaker. There are two grills, but that means nothing. The iPhone also has two grills. I believe one is a mic opening. That may be the case for the mini as well. Also, it could be that Apple decided to make a second opening for the sound to escape. Either could be true, but remember, Siri is onboard, perhaps necessitating a better mic than what is on the iPad two. The fact that JT said the speakers were stereo means nothing. He may have just assumed the second grill was a speaker without further investigation. 

All that said, Amazon is still full of sht! Their add should still be pulled for even better reasons. Implying that the iPad's wifi is anything short of blazing would be one reason. It is quite obvious Amazon has never seen an iPad mini and has no idea what it has inside. 

Update: Amazon has not pulled their ad or revoked their claim. It is still there, just not on the front page. 

Audio & 
Speakers
Dual stereo speakers +
Dolby Digital Plus
Single speaker

This article could have been better researched. Amazon probably moved the ad due to customer push-back. That is far more likely than them changing their claim, which they clearly have not. 

Update: Nevermind. Stereo speakers have been confirmed by Phil, himself. Hopefully, the specs page will be updated to reflect that. It is one thing for a bunch of fanboys to start bagging on products they have never seen. It is quite another when a company like Amazon does it. 

Edited by Mac Voyer - 10/31/12 at 1:08pm
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #15 of 116

And you know, I looked all over their site,

but I could not find their apology.

'I'm simply shocked!

Shocked, I tell you!'

post #16 of 116
how can the say "no hd movies"?

iPad mini specs: "Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p,"!!
post #17 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And you know, I looked all over their site,
but I could not find their apology.

'I'm simply shocked!
Shocked, I tell you!'

LOL!
post #18 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

ROFL... only when they are sold as boxed speakers.., (commonly known are bookshelf speakers)

and your floor standing ones are Triple stereo speakers... echo...echo....echo...

and when You get to the superduper gigantic floorstanding speakers... QUADRUPLE STEREO SPEAKERS!!!!... /sarcasm Reverberating Canyon echo....echo...echo...
post #19 of 116
AMAZON EPIC FAIL
post #20 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl88 View Post

I noticed that one too! Amazon are basically trying to put down the iPad mini's screen size as it's not even 720p resolution. But in a real world scenario can we really be arsed and can tell a big difference that a typical 1080/720p HD movie is being scaled down to fit a 1028xx768 resolution screen is inferior? I very much doubt it! I've been watching HD movies on my iPad 1 and 2 since its inception which has the exact same resolution as the iPad mini... Amazon is really talking marketing BS...I hope Apple will nuke their Kindle line this holiday season!

post #21 of 116
Quote:

LOL. At least they didn't claim the mini has a "single mono speaker". I also also love how the first three points of comparison are in fact just one point (display resolution) repeated in different ways. It's quite insulting that they think their own customers are too dumb to see past such disingenuous claims. 

post #22 of 116

New Amazon ad:

Kindle Fire  vs Ipad Mini

Stereo Speakers with subwoofer and Dolby Surround / tiny mono speaker

Google maps / broken map app tells you Chicago is in Brazil

HD display / single blinking LED

Play Full Angry Birds / can only run one mangy bird with a broken wing*

10 Hour Battery Life / 45 seconds of battery life

$250 / $35,000

post #23 of 116

Those crazy fools, they actually used the specs on Apple's website.  How slimy and despicable!

Anyway, people do gripe about the mono crap in the other models.  Apple's spec should probably be revised.  Anyone who hasn't read a review that explicitly states otherwise, or used one themselves, will make the same mistake of believing it's a single speaker. 

post #24 of 116
Good to know the real iPad 4 will have dual speakers. Wonder how close they can get to the mini in terms of weight and girth.
post #25 of 116
So which intern or high school student created that ad?
post #26 of 116
There used to be a company called "PeoplePC" that sells $200 PC with ads and monthly dial-up service.

I wonder whatever happend to that company? Oh yeah, it still offers cheap dial-up but it was out of the PC business. I guess Ads weren't enough to support the hardware/software development.
post #27 of 116
With the speakers so close together, stereo or mono would not make a difference. It would not create a spatial effect. Besides, none of these speakers are high quality enough to make any difference.
post #28 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl88 View Post

Yep. Expecting honesty from Amazon is too much to ask, I guess.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

New Amazon ad:

Kindle Fire  vs Ipad Mini

Stereo Speakers with subwoofer and Dolby Surround / tiny mono speaker

Google maps / broken map app tells you Chicago is in Brazil

HD display / single blinking LED

Play Full Angry Birds / can only run one mangy bird with a broken wing*

10 Hour Battery Life / 45 seconds of battery life

$250 / $35,000

Ok, really funny.

J.
post #30 of 116
You know, it really doesn't make that much difference either way on the iPad. One speaker about two inches away from its counterpart is negligible for stereo separation.

I have no opinion on the Fire HD as I've never used one, maybe it's still terrible sound, but the Fire HD at least has a speaker on each end. One thing that's bothered me about the iPad for video playback is the sound only comes from one side. It really doesn't make sense that Apple doesn't put a speaker on the opposite edge too. Then the sound isn't so one-sided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

There used to be a company called "PeoplePC" that sells $200 PC with ads and monthly dial-up service.
I wonder whatever happend to that company? Oh yeah, it still offers cheap dial-up but it was out of the PC business. I guess Ads weren't enough to support the hardware/software development.

That's clearly true, ads really don't pay much. I think the no-Ad version of a Kindle is $15 more than an ad-supported equivalent. Amazon has a media ecosystem going for it, it's anybody's guess whether it really pays off, because Amazon doesn't give any figures.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/31/12 at 12:18pm
post #31 of 116

I have to agree with them on the resolution. I would purchase one of them except for the aspect and sub 720P resolution. I was hoping for a higher PPI for the mini. Will wait for the next gen to see if that improves.

iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #32 of 116
Can't wait for the eventual tear down, to see if the spec sheet on Apple's website is correct, and there really is just one speaker.
Remember: two grilles /= two speakers.

Oh, and "mono" means one, and "speaker" means speaker.

iyhd1y.jpg
post #33 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You know, it really doesn't make that much difference either way on the iPad. One speaker about two inches away from its counterpart is negligible for stereo separation.

That is true, I don't believe that it makes much of a difference, but the main point here was that Amazon was factually incorrect in their ad.

The best placement for stereo speakers on an iPad would be on the landscape side, not in portrait. If the speakers were located all the way to the left and to the right on the landscape side, then that would be the best solution, as there would be far greater separation between them, and I believe that landscape speakers are better and more useful than portrait speakers, because when people view content such as tv and video, their iPad will be in landscape mode and not in portrait mode.

post #34 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Can't wait for the eventual tear down, to see if the spec sheet on Apple's website is correct, and there really is just one speaker.

We don't need to wait for any teardown, Apple has already confirmed that it is stereo.

post #35 of 116
I dont know about everyone els, but im a consumer so i want the best stuff for my money. 200$ for a bunch of shitty apps and half assed services and a warranty that requires me to wait for a my tablet to be fixed and sent back by mail. VS 330$ for a lighter thinner sturdier tablet with the best apps services and warranty. It seems like the 200$ option is just throwing out cash. VS spending money on a great device yo actualy use. Regardless of who is making the better device i think i want that one. If amazon was offering what apple is now. For 200 bucks than i would jump ship in a second and go over to amazon. Untill than no thank you.
post #36 of 116
Quote:

Quadraphonic man! Where did I put that quadraphonic Pink Floyd 8-track?

post #37 of 116
Quote:

Agreed! But u will go insane correcting advertising text! 1smile.gif
post #38 of 116
did apple mention it in their keynote? didn't seem like much attention was directed towards the speakers.
post #39 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsavy View Post

I dont know about everyone els, but im a consumer so i want the best stuff for my money. 200$ for a bunch of shitty apps and half assed services and a warranty that requires me to wait for a my tablet to be fixed and sent back by mail. VS 330$ for a lighter thinner sturdier tablet with the best apps services and warranty. It seems like the 200$ option is just throwing out cash. VS spending money on a great device yo actualy use. Regardless of who is making the better device i think i want that one. If amazon was offering what apple is now. For 200 bucks than i would jump ship in a second and go over to amazon. Untill than no thank you.

Why do American (& Korean) companies always try to produce cheap s**ty products? When the most valuable company in the world (Apple) has chosen the high road and creates insanely great products! I will only buy apple electronics!
post #40 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

did apple mention it in their keynote? didn't seem like much attention was directed towards the speakers.

No, I don't believe that they did.

The iPad Mini will be the first iPad with stereo speakers. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers