or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers - Page 2

post #41 of 116
Yeah, I mentioned that thing about "dual stereo speakers" to my friend. My question is whether Apple has ever stated that the iPad mini contains 2 speakers or if someone's opened one up to see. Just cause there are 2 sets of holes at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean there are 2 speakers down there.
post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Why do American (& Korean) companies always try to produce cheap s**ty products? 

Because some cheap ass people only care about price, and certain companies cater to those kind of consumers.

The ironic thing is that if somebody was really broke, the smart move would be to buy the slightly more expensive Apple product.

Here are two scenarios for a cheap ass broke person.

(1) Cheap ass broke person buys a $200, low quality Android tablet. They will have to live with a sub-par, frustrating experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their tablet will be worth almost nothing if and when they try to sell it.

(2) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. They will have to live with a wonderful, first class experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their superior Apple product will still command a respectable price on the used market, as high quality Apple products are always in high demand. Cheap ass broke person #2 will end up with more money in their pocket than cheap ass broke person #1 who thought that they were being smart and saving a couple of dollars by buying the inferior, cheaper product.

post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by balikian View Post

Yeah, I mentioned that thing about "dual stereo speakers" to my friend. My question is whether Apple has ever stated that the iPad mini contains 2 speakers or if someone's opened one up to see. Just cause there are 2 sets of holes at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean there are 2 speakers down there.

It's stereo, there are two. Apple has confirmed that.

post #44 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153931/amazon-pulls-anti-ipad-mini-ad-with-incorrect-claim-about-stereo-speakers#post_2223911"]
We don't need to wait for any teardown, Apple has already confirmed that it is stereo.

Oh? Where? I see one comment from one reviewer above, who may have concluded there were two speakers as there are two grilles. Multiple reviewers made the same mistake when the iPhone 5 was released, until the tear down revealed it was just one speaker inside.

Also, from Apple's website:

Lightning connector
3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
Nano-SIM card tray

Speaker. Singular. If they have said otherwise, it's neither on their website nor linked to the above article, so where are you getting your information?

We'll find out by this weekend, though. As the British say; "truth will out."
post #45 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

We'll find out by this weekend, though. As the British say; "truth will out."

No need to wait until the weekend. We can find out right now. 1smile.gif

Phil Schiller confirmed it in an email.

I notice that the link is censored, but it's a site that has a numerical nine and a five in it's title.1smoking.gif

http://************/2012/10/31/phil-schiller-clarifies-ipad-mini-has-stereo-speakers-following-amazons-kindle-comparison/

post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Because some cheap ass people only care about price, and certain companies cater to those kind of consumers.

The ironic thing is that if somebody was really broke, the smart move would be to buy the slightly more expensive Apple product.

Here are two scenarios for a cheap ass broke person.

(1) Cheap ass broke person buys a $200, low quality Android tablet. They will have to live with a sub-par, frustrating experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their tablet will be worth almost nothing if and when they try to sell it.

(2) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. They will have to live with a wonderful, first class experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their superior Apple product will still command a respectable price on the used market, as high quality Apple products are always in high demand. Cheap ass broke person #2 will end up with more money in their pocket than cheap ass broke person #1 who thought that they were being smart and saving a couple of dollars by buying the inferior, cheaper product.

Cheap ass person 3 buys no tablet, but Apple Stock instead, and watches the price go up.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #47 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Cheap ass person 3 buys no tablet, but Apple Stock instead, and watches the price go up.

That's true, but I kind of doubt that the kind of person who is going to whine about a $329 price for a tablet is the kind of person who can afford to buy a single share of AAPL. At the moment, one share costs $ 595.32, which is what AAPL closed at today.1smile.gif

post #48 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Not 3.  4.

Bezos is working on the first Quadraphonic Kindle.  With 3D screen.  See if you can beat that, Apple!

That's not what I heard, which was that the next Kindle was going with 5.1 surround including a BiggDogg™ 12" SupaWoofa™

post #49 of 116
Quote:

So goes the old saying...

"I can't afford to buy cheap shoes"

post #50 of 116

Amazon - "We have 2 speakers which makes our thing better than the Apple iPad mini, because they have 1"

Apple  - "Actually we have 2 speakers"

Amazon - "Oh right, why don't you advertise this fact?"

Apple - "Because we have more important features to tell people about".

And let's be honest. 1 or 2 speakers, it doesn't matter when they face the wrong direction.

Here's hoping that Apple use those transducer speakers and manage to turn the screen into the speaker. 

post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

So goes the old saying...

"I can't afford to buy cheap shoes"

There's a lot of truth behind that statement. 1smile.gif

post #52 of 116
Where's comparisons of build quality, OS features, and tablet optimized app ecosystem on that chart? You know, the only stuff that really matters? Yeah, cause that wouldn't look too good.
post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I noticed that one too! Amazon are basically trying to put down the iPad mini's screen size as it's not even 720p resolution.

I think that's fair. It's really NOT HD resolution. I'm sure it looks just fine, but downscaling 1080 to fit the screen isn't the same as displaying pixel-for-pixel. I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

post #54 of 116
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

I don't really consider 720 to be "HD" anymore, anyway. lol.gif If 1080 is "full HD", then 2k must be "fuller HD", 4k must be "minsterfuller HD", and Super Hi-Vision must be "buckminsterfuller HD". If 720 is HD, so is 481.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

And another ass person doesn't realise Apple stock dropped over $100 the past 5 weeks and hasn't bottomed.

No matter what media... movies, music, books, photos or web pages look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than any iPad at any price.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

post #56 of 116
Quote:

I think that's fair. It's really NOT HD resolution. I'm sure it looks just fine, but downscaling 1080 to fit the screen isn't the same as displaying pixel-for-pixel. I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

Yeah, it's not simple. I don't call it a lie, just chucking out any subtleties and fine distinctions, which is par for the course in advertising.

The Amazon ad wording seemed to imply it couldn't play HD files. It can't display all of the detail, but it's still considerably better detail than 480p, in large part due to oversampling. But if I was trying to make the most of my gigabytes, then I might load in the SD version of the file and call it good.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/31/12 at 2:26pm
post #57 of 116
Amazon discovered?

Don't you mean they got a notice from Apple's lawyers that they had 24 hours to revise or remove the ad or be sued underestimate false advertising laws. Same as what happened with Microsoft when they continued to air an ad that showed an invalid price for a MacBook a month after the price change took effect

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #58 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't really consider 720 to be "HD" anymore, anyway. 

It is still a valid claim according to the standard.

post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."

Not only a third speaker, but he promises to keep giving the Kindle even more .... more bezel! Further cementing it's place as the tablet with much more bezel for much less. "How'd you like 'dem apples, Apple?" Bezos said defiantly. Amazon leading the industry in bezel innovation.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #60 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

And let's be honest. 1 or 2 speakers, it doesn't matter when they face the wrong direction.

Oh yes it does matter. The sound quality of the Kindle Fire HD is far superior to any ipad.

post #61 of 116
I don't see how it helps to have stereo speakers that are placed well within the width of my ears. For reflecting off walls so I can get the desired effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Amazon discovered?
Don't you mean they got a notice from Apple's lawyers that they had 24 hours to revise or remove the ad or be sued underestimate false advertising laws. Same as what happened with Microsoft when they continued to air an ad that showed an invalid price for a MacBook a month after the price change took effect

Someone in the legal department had to discover the words Apple's department had written to them.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #62 of 116
Quote:

That may be true, but that's not what Amazon said. They said that you can't watch HD movies (note that it's next to 'Watch HD Movies and TV" for context. More importantly, they state that the Mini is "standard definition". Since they're making claims about HD, this is incorrect. The Mini will easily play 480p movies - which is classified as enhanced definition, not standard definition.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 116

Wait... are you telling me that an Apple competitor put out an ad that was not truthful??  No!!! Say it ain't so!!!  *rolls eyes*

post #64 of 116

how did you file.  I quit prime. But no one seemed to care. There seems to be no place to give them a piece of my mind.

post #65 of 116
Quote:

Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."

Then Samsung will follow up with a 5 speaker system. One in each corner with a sub-wofer in the center back (which won't get counted for the thickness of the device). They'll call it Hi-Five™ and no one will care.

post #66 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not only a third speaker, but he promises to keep giving the Kindle even more .... more bezel! Further cementing it's place as the tablet with much more bezel for much less. "How'd you like 'dem apples, Apple?" Bezos said defiantly. Amazon leading the industry in bezel innovation.

True, they neglected to mention the larger bezel around the screen, or dead glass. More dead glass than the iPad Mini! The size of a larger tablet without the benefits!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then Samsung will follow up with a 5 speaker system. One in each corner with a sub-wofer in the center back (which won't get counted for the thickness of the device). They'll call it Hi-Five™ and no one will care.

Actually, "built-in speaker" would be listed 5 times on the features checklist, to help pad it out.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 116
Like its politicians, American corporations believe that what matters is to speak first and loudest. The truth of what's said is considered as an afterthought, if at all.

After all, 144 pt lies run on the front page; 6 pt retractions on page 43.

Of course getting away with this, time after time, year after year, requires a profoundly ignorant populace drunk on recreational condemnation and smugly indifferent to facts.
post #69 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

ROFL... only when they are sold as boxed speakers.., (commonly known are bookshelf speakers)
and your floor standing ones are Triple stereo speakers... echo...echo....echo...
and when You get to the superduper gigantic floorstanding speakers... QUADRUPLE STEREO SPEAKERS!!!!... /sarcasm Reverberating Canyon echo....echo...echo...

You guys really couldn't figure out what they meant? "Dual stereo speakers" meant there are two speakers running in stereo output. You could potentially have "dual" (two) speakers that run a mono audio output, they just worded it oddly.

post #70 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That may be true, but that's not what Amazon said. They said that you can't watch HD movies (note that it's next to 'Watch HD Movies and TV" for context. More importantly, they state that the Mini is "standard definition". Since they're making claims about HD, this is incorrect. The Mini will easily play 480p movies - which is classified as enhanced definition, not standard definition.

Respectfully, this is the first time I've ever seen the phrase "Enhanced Definition" and I work in broadcast. Technically p *IS* slightly more D than i, but in the circles I travel it's just considered another form of SD.

post #71 of 116
Quote:

(3) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. A year later, Apple releases an A6X version so they upgrade, losing $100. The year after that, Apple releases a retina version so they upgrade, losing $100. Year 3, Apple releases a thinner, lighter IZGO version so they upgrade losing $100.

So who's ahead after 3 years?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #72 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

(3) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. A year later, Apple releases an A6X version so they upgrade, losing $100. The year after that, Apple releases a retina version so they upgrade, losing $100. Year 3, Apple releases a thinner, lighter IZGO version so they upgrade losing $100.

I'd say Apple will be ahead after 3 years than some cheap ass broke person. In fact, lets take 1 hour of Apple's net profits compared to a cheap ass broke person entire life's earnings and Apple will still be ahead.

post #73 of 116

Didn't the ad also mention something about the mini having NO ability to watch videos?

What a clueless moron. 

I say Amacon is an ad-based boof catering to the ignorant masses with false advertising.

post #74 of 116
Quote:

Actually, "built-in speaker" would be listed 5 times on the features checklist, to help pad it out.

"Dual stereo speaker plus one"

post #75 of 116
Quote:

Respectfully, this is the first time I've ever seen the phrase "Enhanced Definition" and I work in broadcast. Technically p *IS* slightly more D than i, but in the circles I travel it's just considered another form of SD.

Really? I guess you never saw a TV ad during the years they were working their way up to actually having 1080 x 1920 physical pixels on the screen. (I was a late adopter, because that was a prerequisite for me.)

The FTC wouldn't allow the manufacturers to call any TV with less than 720 lines vertical resolution "High" Definition, so they invented the term "Enhanced" Definition. The FTC would let them use that for any TV with more than 307,200 pixels—including "Fox Widescreen" at 480 x 853.

post #76 of 116
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p
"480p does not qualify as high-definition television (HDTV); it is considered Enhanced-definition television (EDTV)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

That would depend on how much you value having the latest product. Since you're upgrading every year, obviously, that's of some value.

In any event, it's ridiculous to compare someone who buys three brand new iPads to a person who buys one low end Android tablet and holds onto it for 3 years.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #77 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
That would depend on how much you value having the latest product. Since you're upgrading every year, obviously, that's of some value.
In any event, it's ridiculous to compare someone who buys three brand new iPads to a person who buys one low end Android tablet and holds onto it for 3 years.

You're talking to this troll as if it were an honest post.  He and all the other Fandroids have a set agenda and there's no deflecting them from it. If Apple brings out a new version of some product and it doesn't have a replicator and antigravity, it's: "Same old, same old! Apple should be ashamed bringing out a new product without 'features' A, B, C,...etc., which Android has had since 37 B.C."

If Apple brings out a product that's noticeably improved, it's: "The arrogance of Apple bringing out a product that makes the ones people bought last year less than the latest!"

Of course, the weekly spate of "new" Android devices with "features" the nerderati have been howling for, and bragging about them all over the techblogosphere, that doesn't make any old Android devices obsolete.....

post #78 of 116

yes but regardless of how far apart the speakers are, I think 2 is great, more loudness, more punch act, use your head.

post #79 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.

Oh really?  iFixit disassembled a Fire HD and there are 2(dual) speakers on the left side and the right side.

post #80 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd say Apple will be ahead after 3 years than some cheap ass broke person. In fact, lets take 1 hour of Apple's net profits compared to a cheap ass broke person entire life's earnings and Apple will still be ahead.

Sure Apple will be ahead after 3 years, but it's at the expense of the people that upgrade every year.

Apple just loves the people that stay on the upgrade treadmill. That's how they can afford to pay a retired guy $2mil a month!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers