or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first beta of OS X 10.8.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple preparing first beta of OS X 10.8.3

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday began inviting developers to test the next update to its Mountain Lion operating system, signaling that a beta of OS X 10.8.3 will arrive soon.

Beta


People familiar with the software indicated to AppleInsider that select members of Apple's developer community were provided with invitations on Wednesday. Such invitations are sent out ahead of the introduction of a new beta.

No details on exactly what OS X 10.8.3 will include are available. The pre-release beta period allows developers to test their applications and find potential bugs before the update is released to the public.

The last update to Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.2, was issued in mid-September. It was a major update that added system-wide integration with the social networking site Facebook.

Mountain Lion debuted in July on the Mac App Store as a $20 upgrade. It also comes preinstalled on all new Macs.
post #2 of 19
My guess is that OSX 10.9, or even OSX 11 (CAN there be such a thing?), will the the OSX JI edition (Jony Ive).
post #3 of 19
I hope Jonny has his hands on 10.9. I would rather them remove all of that GUI crap and take longer with it than stay on a 12 month schedule.
post #4 of 19
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
I hope Jonny has his hands on 10.9. I would rather them remove all of that GUI crap and take longer with it than stay on a 12 month schedule.

 

Yeah! Screw the GUI! Back to an Altair for us!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 19

I love mountain Lion.  Love it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #6 of 19
Mountain Lion stole my MBP battery life, it went from 3.5 to 2.25 hours. I pray that Apple has read the 185+ pages of user comments on their own forums. Please let 10.8.3 restore my battery life.
post #7 of 19
Mountain Lion is much better than Lion and compares very close to Leopard, but Apple has to start realizing that some of the features that it does put in Mountain Lion needs a switch that you can turn them off indefinitely since some of them are just a waste of space since not everyone is going mobile that they assume or they improve on them to the point where they work between OSX and iOS 6 transparently.
post #8 of 19

I've had nothing but problems with Mountain Lion. I first upgraded my late 2008 Macbook Pro from Lion to Mountain Lion and then began experiencing Finder freezes and unresponsiveness several times a day that would force me to shut it down using the Power button. Good thing I backed up my hard drive prior to upgrading. I finally switched back to Lion and haven't had a problem since. Thinking that it was just a hardware incompatibility, I got a 2012 Macbook Pro (non-Retina display) with Mountain Lion preinstalled. After about a couple of weeks of use, the same problem with the Finder freezing up began to occur as well. I really hope 10.8.3 will fix this, because this is really getting to be annoying.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

I've had nothing but problems with Mountain Lion. I first upgraded my late 2008 Macbook Pro from Lion to Mountain Lion and then began experiencing Finder freezes and unresponsiveness several times a day that would force me to shut it down using the Power button. Good thing I backed up my hard drive prior to upgrading. I finally switched back to Lion and haven't had a problem since. Thinking that it was just a hardware incompatibility, I got a 2012 Macbook Pro (non-Retina display) with Mountain Lion preinstalled. After about a couple of weeks of use, the same problem with the Finder freezing up began to occur as well. I really hope 10.8.3 will fix this, because this is really getting to be annoying.


I have at late 08 MacBook and had similar problems.  I recently upgraded to a 1 TB HDD and did a clean install.  I've had no problems since.  Try a clean install..

post #10 of 19

Please, can we finally have OpenCL support for the HD 4000 on 10.8.3? Given that it's the GPU that Apple uses most now, it's a shame it doesn't support OpenCL on OSX yet.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayRedneck View Post

Mountain Lion is much better than Lion and compares very close to Leopard, but Apple has to start realizing that some of the features that it does put in Mountain Lion needs a switch that you can turn them off indefinitely since some of them are just a waste of space since not everyone is going mobile that they assume or they improve on them to the point where they work between OSX and iOS 6 transparently.

 

Yeah, like turning off punctuation. Who needs that?

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

I've had nothing but problems with Mountain Lion. I first upgraded my late 2008 Macbook Pro from Lion to Mountain Lion and then began experiencing Finder freezes and unresponsiveness several times a day that would force me to shut it down using the Power button. Good thing I backed up my hard drive prior to upgrading. I finally switched back to Lion and haven't had a problem since. Thinking that it was just a hardware incompatibility, I got a 2012 Macbook Pro (non-Retina display) with Mountain Lion preinstalled. After about a couple of weeks of use, the same problem with the Finder freezing up began to occur as well. I really hope 10.8.3 will fix this, because this is really getting to be annoying.

 

How much RAM do you have installed. Mountain Lion certainly needs more than Lion. I upgraded my RAM and it solved problems for me. 

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

How much RAM do you have installed. Mountain Lion certainly needs more than Lion. I upgraded my RAM and it solved problems for me. 

I don't believe that. For me, ML is much more Ram-efficient.

 

I believe that the cause of problems is almost always related with HD. SSD all the way....

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post


I have at late 08 MacBook and had similar problems.  I recently upgraded to a 1 TB HDD and did a clean install.  I've had no problems since.  Try a clean install..

This is why I never recommend doing an upgrade. I bet 90% of issues after a new OS arrives are because something didn't upgrade properly. I always do a clean install and always will. Then I know I won't have issues. Sure, there are a few programs I have to reinstall and update, but its something you do maybe once a year, not something you do every other month. The computer could probably use a good cleaning anyways. 

 

From my experience, if you don't erase and install you end up doing it anyways because of goofy little issues. So now you're installing the OS twice, taking longer than it originally would if you just would have erased and installed with all of your apps reinstalled/updated. Its 6 in 1, half a dozen in the other...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #15 of 19

Agreed that 10.9 is for Jony Ive. That could be good or bad. Considering his past work, and Tim Cook's trust in him, I'd assume that it's a good thing, but I would worry that he may choose form over function since he now has ultimate control. We shall see.

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply
post #16 of 19
God, I hope this is the version with Metro. I've been finding my MBA far too easy to navigate recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Yeah, like turning off punctuation. Who needs that?

Thank you, Neil.

You just brought the ROFLcopter to my house.
Edited by GTR - 10/31/12 at 7:35pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Mountain Lion on my 2008 iMac and my 2012 retina MacBook Pro works flawlessly.

Ditto. No issues here.
post #18 of 19
mountain lion has a lot of bugs.
lion had a few, but was pretty stable

icloud for me no longer works on my mba 1frown.gif
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post


Ditto. No issues here.

Same here mate! 2012 MacBook Air 13 inch!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first beta of OS X 10.8.3