or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 6.0.1 to fix screen, camera flash and Exchange issues

Apple releases iOS 6.0.1 to fix screen, camera flash and Exchange issues

post #1 of 44
Apple on Thursday issued iOS 6.0.1 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, a minor update that addresses a number of small bugs, including a screen glitch that would appear with the onscreen keyboard and an issue that would cause the camera flash to not go off.

iOS 6.0.1 is now available to download through the system's Software Update, or through iTunes. The full list of changes included in the software, according to Apple, are:
  • Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air.
  • Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off.
  • Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks.
  • Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances.
  • Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match.
  • Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen.
  • Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings.

iOS 6

Word of an iOS 6.0.1 update first surfaced last month when it was said the software was in testing with Apple's carrier partners for the iPhone. That same report claimed that iOS 6.1, a more significant update for the mobile operating system, will arrive after the holidays.

AppleInsider last month highlighted the iOS 6 keyboard graphical glitch, which occasionally shows screen distortion when entering an Apple ID password. The issue is only cosmetic and appears to be limited to the iPhone 5.

Issues related to Wi-Fi with iOS 6 were also widely reported since the launch of the software update in September. In particular, iPhone 4S and third-generation iPad users have said that they have experienced disabled Wi-Fi connectivity.
post #2 of 44

iOS Updater app, cute.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 44
I have noticed a bug where I get multiple calender entries of single contacts-based events (e.g. birthdays, anniversaries) when I sync the calendar using GMail account settings and the same account's contacts using the CardDAV protocol. "Multiple" here means some 50 or 100 times (which makes that day rather crowded...).
The bug occurs only in iOS6 on my iPhone 5 and 3GS, but not in iOS5 on my iPad 1.
post #4 of 44
Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Updater" app first? Very strange behaviour.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Update" app first? Very strange behaviour.

Yep, same here.  

post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

I have noticed a bug where I get multiple calender entries of single contacts-based events (e.g. birthdays, anniversaries) when I sync the calendar using GMail.

That bug affected me and I used a me.com iCloud account and synced the regular way, directly through iCloud.

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Updater" app first? Very strange behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Yep, same here.  

"Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air."

Other sites offering more detailed information explain that this download is required first in order to be able to do the actual update.  Not strange, required.

post #8 of 44
The article mentions that on iPhone 5, normal over the air updates are not working so why do you sound surprised that an App download required. It's pretty smart of Apple to come up with a work around!
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air."

Other sites offering more detailed information explain that this download is required first in order to be able to do the actual update.  Not strange, required.

I didn't say it was strange, I just agreed that I have the same app.

post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

The article mentions that on iPhone 5, normal over the air updates are not working so why do you sound surprised that an App download required. It's pretty smart of Apple to come up with a work around!

No, "smart" would have been properly working software that didn't require a separate new program to fix a bug.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iOS Updater app, cute.

I'm tripping on the icon inside the Settings Update area and the gears in the icon start turning when the update starts downloading.  TOTALLY COOL!

post #12 of 44

Facebook now crashes

Dang it! Since I updated to 6.0.1 Facebook crashes every time I launch it. Even restarted phone and it still happens.
post #13 of 44
Dang it - Facebook now crashes.
post #14 of 44

Just updated OTA.. very quick to download and install. Loved the spinning gears. From the notes, it fixes the major gripes (of which I havent experienced any). 

Safari seems snappier. 

post #15 of 44

I have the app, but now I get the "Unable to Check for update" error.

post #16 of 44
I updated with iTunes and avoided the new app.
post #17 of 44

Blame Scott.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #18 of 44

Does the fix the issues of the delayed notification after an initial vibrate and screen activation?  Been bugging the hell out of me.  

post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Safari seems snappier. 

I was going to ask if battery life was improved, but as long as Safari has teh snappies then that's all that's important.

1cool.gif

Edited by John.B - 11/1/12 at 11:59am

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post

Does the fix the issues of the delayed notification after an initial vibrate and screen activation?  Been bugging the hell out of me.  

Answering my own question.  It seems this issue has been resolved

post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings.

Does this mean we won't be able to cancel meetings as an attendee anymore?  1wink.gif

post #22 of 44

The iOS installer app disappears once it is complete.

post #23 of 44

The moving gears is a nice touch, but t-minus 3...2...1... until someone complains that it taxes battery life. :)

post #24 of 44

You mean it hasn't always? It's likely the crashiest app on me phone.

post #25 of 44
This update breaks the Facebook app - cannot load after updating... :-(
post #26 of 44
The update also seems to break the Facebook app. Crashes every time I open it now.
post #27 of 44

My facebook app has been running fine since the update

post #28 of 44
Damn.

Now you will all have to start speaking to people in the real world.

;-)
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

The moving gears is a nice touch, but t-minus 3...2...1... until someone complains that it taxes battery life. 1smile.gif

You're complaining about the battery being affected when the G*D D*** bottom left gear is spinning in the wrong direction?! It should be spinning counter clockwise from being pushed by the larger center gear!!!

Raaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

How could this happen!!?? This isn't the apple I used to know!!

Now when are we going to get an update for this??

I don't now if this is from Scott being fired or under his watch but one thing is for certain . . This would have NEVER HAPPENED UNDER STEVE'S WATCH!!!'

1biggrin.gif

Get it? Steve's watch....gears...clockwise....turning...

Ahh forget it.
post #30 of 44
Quote:

You mean it hasn't always? It's likely the crashiest app on me phone.

What phone do you have?  Mine never crashes since the new one came out a couple months back

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #31 of 44

My FB app was crashing immediately prior to updating.

Took <2 mins OTA.

Now unable to update OTA on the wife's iP4 and iTunes suggesting a 2hr download!

(60mbps broadband).

Is there a server problem, or has the whole world updated simultaneously?!!

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

You're complaining about the battery being affected when the G*D D*** bottom left gear is spinning in the wrong direction?! It should be spinning counter clockwise from being pushed by the larger center gear!!!
Raaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
How could this happen!!?? This isn't the apple I used to know!!
Now when are we going to get an update for this??
I don't now if this is from Scott being fired or under his watch but one thing is for certain . . This would have NEVER HAPPENED UNDER STEVE'S WATCH!!!'

1biggrin.gif
Get it? Steve's watch....gears...clockwise....turning...
Ahh forget it.

Screw the update to fix that insane gear!

Where's the apology letter!!!
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Safari seems snappier. 

I can confirm the Safari snappys.

Imagine how fast the damn thing will be on the iPad 4.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Byars View Post

This update breaks the Facebook app - cannot load after updating... :-(

Both my iphone4S and my ipad cannot load the facebook app :-(

post #35 of 44
Quote:

The moving gears is a nice touch, but t-minus 3...2...1... until someone complains that it taxes battery life. 1smile.gif

I'd be fine with the update taxing the battery while it instals as long as it actually fixes the battery life problems once it is. I don't see battery fixes listed as one of its features though. 1frown.gif
post #36 of 44
Facebook works on my iphone 5.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #37 of 44

with 6.0.1 update facebook works perfect on 3 iPhone 5s' here...

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #38 of 44
I still cannot get my flash to go off on my ipad3 after the upgrade.
post #39 of 44
Originally Posted by nhnonna View Post
I still cannot get my flash to go off on my ipad3 after the upgrade.

There isn't one.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #40 of 44

Still it hast not fixed the music app. Lot of my albums arts are still missing. Come on apple.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases iOS 6.0.1 to fix screen, camera flash and Exchange issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 6.0.1 to fix screen, camera flash and Exchange issues