or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
The iPad mini is forecast to get off to a strong but modest start this weekend with sales of up to 1.5 million units, but over time Apple's 7.9-inch tablet is expected to gain popularity.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray believes that Apple will sell between a million and 1.5 million iPad minis over the launch weekend. On the high end, that would be half the 3 million third-generation iPads Apple sold at launch this March.

One reason for a smaller launch is the fact that there will not be any 4G LTE models available at launch. Those versions of the iPad mini are scheduled to launch later this month.

Another reason cited by Munster is the "newness of the form factor for consumers." He currently believes smaller-sized tablets account for about 20 to 25 percent of overall market units, but he sees the share of smaller tablets growing in the future.

"Consumers will gradually realize the benefits of the smaller form factor, which will drive adoption, although it may not take form in lines for tomorrow's launch," Munster wrote.

iPad mini


In particular, Munster believes consumers will appreciate the ability to use the iPad mini with one hand, and the enhanced portability the smaller form factor offers. Until now, he said, the market for smaller tablets has been limited because existing devices like the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 lack the ecosystem and brand that Apple is bringing to market with the iPad mini.

Last month, before the iPad mini was made official, Munster said he believes every five iPad mini sales would be equal to cannibalization of one full-size iPad. His prediction of a 20 percent cannibalization rate suggests Apple could greatly expand its addressable market by offering two different screen sizes.
post #2 of 44

I'm no analyst (thank god), but I believe that Apple can sell even more than that, as long as they have sufficient stock to meet the demand. The iPad Mini is launching in 34 countries and the pre-orders did sell out fairly quickly.

 

I can pull random numbers out of my ass just as easily as any analyst can, and I'm going to say that Apple sells 2.3 Million iPad Minis over the launch weekend.

post #3 of 44

BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

 

oh wait . . 

post #4 of 44

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

post #5 of 44
But is this counting the units they've already pre-sold or is this ADDITIONAL units?

Well, I'm getting my iPad 4 tomorrow, so I have a new toy to play with. But at least this toy doesn't have an OS GUI that directly from an X-Box gaming console.

I still can't figure out how Steve Ballmer can make a comment that Windows 8 Surface tablets are for serious computing when the GUI is directly from a Gaming Console. To me, that's just a kid's toy trying to act grown up.

Oh well, I'm sure Ballmer has one leg out of Microsoft, someone just has to push out completely. Can't wait.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

oh wait . . 

You mean 'smoothly' approaching selling a million.....

Oh wait......
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

iPad selling lots of units does not make it any less of a toy...
post #8 of 44

" . . . strong but modest start . . ."

 

Yeah, my baby grand piano is heavy but light.  My grandmother is old but young.  And my brother is rich but poor.

 

Don't you just LOVE equivocators?

post #9 of 44

Notcheapenoughgate
 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post


iPad selling lots of units does not make it any less of a toy...

Yeah, what can you do. Corporations must love toys: http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/7332-ipad-use-approximately-50-percent-fortune-100-companies.html

post #11 of 44

I've been reading a lot of reports about how the launch in New York is going to be subdued, and those reports are probably correct, but I'm thinking that I just might take advantage of the hurricane disaster and visit the 5th Ave. store tomorrow to at least check out the new iPad Mini. If I really like it, I just might end up walking away with one.

 

I gave away my iPad 2 this summer to my mom, and my iPad 3 is leaving this weekend, because I'm letting my girlfriend take it with her on an overseas trip. That leaves me with no iPad. An iPad for me is not essential, as I do have other devices and machines that I can use, but I am going to miss my iPad, especially when sitting on the toilet or when taking a hot bubble bath.lol.gif An iPad Mini just might be the solution.

 

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one. I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. We'll see what happens. 

post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?


Yes it is a toy, but a very nice toy. Nothing wrong with that.

post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2224997"]I've been reading a lot of reports about how the launch in New York is going to be subdued, and those reports are probably correct, but I'm thinking that I just might take advantage of the hurricane disaster and visit the 5th Ave. store tomorrow to at least check out the new iPad Mini. If I really like it, I just might end up walking away with one.

I gave away my iPad 2 this summer to my mom, and my iPad 3 is leaving this weekend, because I'm letting my girlfriend take it with her on an overseas trip. That leaves me with no iPad. An iPad for me is not essential, as I do have other devices and machines that I can use, but I am going to miss my iPad, especially when sitting on the toilet or when taking a hot bubble bath.lol.gif  An iPad Mini just might be the solution.

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one. I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. We'll see what happens. 

How is your access not hindered? If they haven't gotten delivery yet it might be a problem getting them in by tomorrow.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post


Yes it is a toy, but a very nice toy. Nothing wrong with that.

 

Toys are cool. Apple toys are cooler.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one.

 

I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. 

 

1.  New York City lives and breathes because of the tourists.  :P  I would move there in a second, after being a tourist, once my child graduates from high school.

 

2.  Forget the lawyers, kill all the scalpers.  I would have thought Sandy would have washed away all the rodents, including scalpers.

 

3.  Love the flagship store, very interesting design.  I plan to be there for the launch of the iphone 6 this spring (hehehe).

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How is your access not hindered? If they haven't gotten delivery yet it might be a problem getting them in by tomorrow.

The reports that I've been reading are wrong.

 

The reports are saying that there is no subway access into Manhattan, but that's not true. Yes, much of the subway line is totally shut down, but there are certain Subway lines that have begun to run. The Subways won't go lower than 34 St., but that's not a problem if somebody is trying to get to the 5th Ave Store.

post #17 of 44

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 44

"The iPad mini is forecast to get off to a strong but modest start this weekend with sales of up to 1.5 million units..."

 

But they neglect to tell you they're including presales which started 1 week ago.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

 

1.  New York City lives and breathes because of the tourists.  :P 

I agree that tourists are important to the city and to the economy. I still find them kind of annoying though as they walk much too slowly, and I always find myself being blocked by them when trying to get where I'm going.1smile.gif

post #20 of 44
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
iPad selling lots of units does not make it any less of a toy...

 

Abject nonsense. So ten years from now when tablets are the exclusive means of mobile computing and multitouch desktops are the exclusive means of desktop computing, no one will be using anything but "toys" then. Uh huh.


Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Toys are cool. Apple toys are cooler.

 

Toys are legally uncool. Apple products are legally cool. 


But I'd be happy to have that "fact" rendered invalid. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2225017"]The reports that I've been reading are wrong.

The reports are saying that there is no subway access into Manhattan, but that's not true. Yes, much of the subway line is totally shut down, but there are certain Subway lines that have begun to run. The Subways won't go lower than 34 St., but that's not a problem if somebody is trying to get to the 5th Ave Store.

All of the subway tunnels leading in and out of Manhattan are below 34 St. The only thing that I can think of is the tram from Roosevelt Island.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


All of the subway tunnels leading in and out of Manhattan are below 34 St. The only thing that I can think of is the tram from Roosevelt Island.

The F and N lines from Queens seem to be running into Manhattan fine.

 

You can see on this updated Subway Map.

 

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/HurricaneRecoveryMapOct312012.pdf

post #23 of 44
What's crazy is that would exceed the annual sales of all tablets combined before the original iPad was launched.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Abject nonsense. So ten years from now when tablets are the exclusive means of mobile computing and multitouch desktops are the exclusive means of desktop computing, no one will be using anything but "toys" then. Uh huh.

 

Toys are legally uncool. Apple products are legally cool. 


But I'd be happy to have that "fact" rendered invalid. 

 

Some guy gets on a packed transit bus after the SF Giants parade, he's playing solitaire on his iPhone. He is so cool, he couldn't put away his solitaire on a packed bus for just a few minutes. Take away those games, music, movies and you can keep your mobile computing.

post #25 of 44
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
Some guy gets on a packed transit bus after the SF Giants parade, he's playing solitaire on his iPhone. He is so cool, he couldn't put away his solitaire on a packed bus for just a few minutes. Take away those games, music, movies and you can keep your mobile computing.

 

My rebuttal includes hundreds of millions of anecdotes of equal length pertaining to all professions in all businesses where iDevices have either irrevocably changed their workflows for the better or created the businesses themselves.

 

Funny how cherry-picking to ignore doesn't work.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm no analyst (thank god), but I believe that Apple can sell even more than that, as long as they have sufficient stock to meet the demand. The iPad Mini is launching in 34 countries and the pre-orders did sell out fairly quickly.

 

I can pull random numbers out of my ass just as easily as any analyst can, and I'm going to say that Apple sells 2.3 Million iPad Minis over the launch weekend.

Exactly. I think Apple only released 1.5million to the public because its a new product category. 

post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2225047"]The F and N lines from Queens seem to be running into Manhattan fine.

You can see on this updated Subway Map.

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/HurricaneRecoveryMapOct312012.pdf

Gotcha, those probably had minimal flooding.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

 

$130 seems like a lot for GPS/Cell when I will using mostly from my couch. I don't lost there very often.

post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

But is this counting the units they've already pre-sold or is this ADDITIONAL units?

 

Apple counts ALL units delivered to customers. So, yes, anyone who RECEIVES a pre-ordered unit this weekend will count towards how many were sold over the weekend.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 


Yes, I would guess that very few would want the WiFi only version...maybe appealing to light users and those that already have a cellular plan to tether to?

That would mean that iPad Mini demand/sales will be MUCH LARGER for the 4G/LTE versions.

 

...oh, and also, many will want to play around with it at the Apple Store first then decide whether they'll buy the 7.9" or the 9.7".

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

 

Yes, I would guess that very few would want the WiFi only version...maybe appealing to light users and those that already have a cellular plan to tether to?

I have never tethered anything. I think you need an additional plan anyway on AT&T to do so, not sure. I do have a question about tethering though. if your iPad is tethered to your iPhone it thinks it is on wifi, right? So is there any chance that it might do some syncing in the background like photo stream, for example, that it normally wouldn't try to do when not connected? Might run up your data charges unexpectedly. I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

For me, I would go for WiFi only; I already have an iPhone and an iPad... I just want to help prop the stock price up!!

In all seriousness though, it really just depends on what you want to use it for. It would be a good bedside device and possibly a meeting note-taking device for me. Some people, it would just be to entertain the kids. Others might try and use it as a phone. What is clear for me though is that I don't want another cellular data plan on top of the fairly high (percentage wise) premium for the modem.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.

 

Strong sales don't mean they're wrong. The Xbox is a toy and it sells by the bazillions. Even if the iPad is *IS* a "toy," so what? If people like it and buy it and use it, who cares WHAT they call it? Calling it a toy doesn't affect what it can and cannot do any more than calling it a "Post-PC Personal Computing Device."

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

My rebuttal includes hundreds of millions of anecdotes of equal length pertaining to all professions in all businesses where iDevices have either irrevocably changed their workflows for the better or created the businesses themselves.

 

Funny how cherry-picking to ignore doesn't work.


Really, hundreds of millions? Or was it billions?

post #35 of 44
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
Really, hundreds of millions? Or was it billions?

 

Your point, that I'm making things up, is sort of ruined by the number of iDevices purchased for business, commercial, and industrial use. This information is freely available virtually anywhere, so your refusal to pay attention to it isn't anyone else's problem.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

 

oh wait . . 

But no one actually uses the product since it only has 8G of SSD storage, no camera to take photos/videos.  I STILL have yet to see one in someone's hands actually using it in person.  In fact, the only tablets I've seen people using are iPads.  I see those all of the time.  I guess Android tablets users are too scared to bring them out in public places for fear of getting laughed at.

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Strong sales don't mean they're wrong. The Xbox is a toy and it sells by the bazillions. Even if the iPad is *IS* a "toy," so what? If people like it and buy it and use it, who cares WHAT they call it? Calling it a toy doesn't affect what it can and cannot do any more than calling it a "Post-PC Personal Computing Device."

Well, many people call Ferraris a toy, and quite frankly, I don't mind certain toys, just as long as the GUI isn't a gaming console GUi unless it's actually a gaming console.  

 

Another words  WIndows 8 = X Box.

post #38 of 44

They've pumped some out, AMTRAK is starting to phase in service:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-01/amtrak-to-resume-limited-service-into-nyc-during-repairs

 

MTA has a recovery map:

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/SubwayRecoveryMap.pdf


Edited by jfc1138 - 11/1/12 at 4:25pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

Before I read your comment I was thinking this release is shaping up to be a lot like the original iPad, except now people are saying that a full sized iPad makes more sense instead of saying a "proper" PC makes more sense.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 44
Just another fad…

Stupidly,

Steve Ballmher
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend