or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Storm Sandy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Storm Sandy

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Let us put aside our differences and think about the people who lost their lives and homes in this horrific storm that we encountered this week.My heart goes out to these people in the East and other states also. I can see what winners you republicans are not even extending your thoughts what I posted.


Edited by marvfox - 11/3/12 at 4:08am
post #2 of 28

Looking at the photos of Sandy's wrath I recall images of Japan after last year's tsunami.  Water everywhere.  Houses everywhere.  Debris everywhere.  A mess.  And it's cold.

 

I feel for the people impacted.  It isn't easy and won't be for some time.  Hang in there.

 

 

As with any natural disaster (I say this having watched many over the years, especially the aftermath of the tsunami), parts of the recovery effort will go well. Others will be challenging.  Long term will be the most problematic.  Hopefully, lessons will be learned and applied towards a next time which I hope never happens.

 

This was a very big storm that hit almost the entire east coast. of course with the worst in the New York/New Jersey area.  It will take time.


Edited by Bergermeister - 11/5/12 at 1:20am

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

At least strangers are helping others in this time of need which shows how our country can come back from any disaster it is confronted with.
 

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

At least strangers are helping others in this time of need which shows how our country can come back from any disaster it is confronted with.
 

 

 

Sad that the private companies which Mittens wants to move more responsibility to actually are largely behind the current spate of problems that then lead to frustration and anger that gets pointed at officials and FEMA.

 

Example:

 

Wireless companies didn't strengthen their networks; indeed, they strove to not do so.

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/wireless-cell-service-sandy_n_2072287.html

 

 

Cuomo and Bloomberg are pretty angry at the power companies for slow work.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

 

 

Cuomo and Bloomberg are pretty angry at the power companies for slow work.

 

Yea those two know two things about getting a power grid back up. Jack and Shit.

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Sad that the private companies which Mittens wants to move more responsibility to actually are largely behind the current spate of problems that then lead to frustration and anger that gets pointed at officials and FEMA.

 

Example:

 

Wireless companies didn't strengthen their networks; indeed, they strove to not do so.

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/wireless-cell-service-sandy_n_2072287.html

 

 

Cuomo and Bloomberg are pretty angry at the power companies for slow work.

 

And a more rational take.

 

Poor Berg...when faced with the massive failure of the State in this disaster must attempt to misdirect to the minor problems in the private sector (and falsely claim that they are "largely behind the problems that then lead to frustration and anger"), and then immediately connect this negativity to Mitt Romney.

 

Looks like Berg is suffering from Romney Derangement Syndrome.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #7 of 28

Sandy damaged a lot of polling places.  Hope they can figure something out quickly so that many Americans can do that which is essential to our democracy: exercise their right to vote.

 

Christie is allowing fax and email voting...  How is that to work?  Sounds nice; he seems to honestly want people to vote, unlike some in his party who run other states.

 

What about New York?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #8 of 28

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Police arrest man for buying gasoline.

I think the problem was that it was not in a gas can. 150 gallons of gas in 5 gallon buckets doesn't sound safe.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I think the problem was that it was not in a gas can. 150 gallons of gas in 5 gallon buckets doesn't sound safe.

 

Hmmm. Why? So?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I think the problem was that it was not in a gas can. 150 gallons of gas in 5 gallon buckets doesn't sound safe.

 

So your argument is that he wouldn't have been arrested if he had 150 gallons of gas in government-approved gas cans?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #12 of 28

Yes, endangering others is a crime.  The last thing we need is someone accidentally causing a fire by transporting these liquids in a dangerous manner.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

So your argument is that he wouldn't have been arrested if he had 150 gallons of gas in government-approved gas cans?

Yes. Many states have laws WRT approved containers for transporting gas. The article doesn't really make it clear what the charge was for. I really don't want to read about the neighborhood that went up in flames because 150 gallons caught on fire.

 

Having said that it's clear the black market finds a work around to price fixing. Big surprise.

 

 

 

Gas Lines, Gouging, and Hurricane Sandy: Keeping Prices Low Means Nobody Gets Fuel

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I really don't want to read about the neighborhood that went up in flames because 150 gallons caught on fire.

 

I really don't want to read about people continuing to go without heat or electricity because their own government keeps impeding relief efforts.

 

But what if he was arrested because of the quantity rather than the method of storage? The article leaves much to the imagination.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yes. Many states have laws WRT approved containers for transporting gas. The article doesn't really make it clear what the charge was for. I really don't want to read about the neighborhood that went up in flames because 150 gallons caught on fire.

 

Of course no one wants to see that. The problem here is there a few assumptions at play:

 

  1. That the risk or probability of such a thing is or was high.
  2. That safety is a black & white issue vs. a continuum.
  3. That there are not other concerns that are now elevated in related to some of these alleged safety concerns.

 

In the end though, this kind of problem wouldn't really be a problem if they repealed the fucking price "gouging" laws.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Having said that it's clear the black market finds a work around to price fixing. Big surprise.

 

Gas Lines, Gouging, and Hurricane Sandy: Keeping Prices Low Means Nobody Gets Fuel

 

Good thing too. If anything these price "gouging" laws are doing more damage that some guy buying extra gasoline in 5 gallon buckets.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #16 of 28

Here's an article with a little more information:

 

NY Man Charged in Gas Hoarding Case

 

The article title mentions hoarding, but the article itself says:

 

 

Quote:
Both men were issued a misdemeanor summons for violation of regulation concerning flammable or combustible liquids.

 

So again, it's unclear why, specifically they were busted.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 

Anything to do with making a buck Mittens is behind even when disasters happen.
 

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Anything to do with making a buck Mittens is behind even when disasters happen.
 

Oh really? Is that why the unions are blocking out of state workers from helping out. Because Mittens be behind it? 'cause you know those extra union fees go to support Mitt (or something).

post #19 of 28

A report from Long Island:

 

Quote:
The most interesting thing about the prolonged power outages is how well traffic flows at major intersections WITHOUT traffic lights and police. People make eye contact and wave each other through. The only intersections that I've seen get worse are the ones where Nassau County police have setup cones and flares and have re-routed the flow of traffic "for safety reasons."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #20 of 28

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 

That is what we all about helping each other in times of despair and need.
 

post #22 of 28

double posted


Edited by sammi jo - 11/25/12 at 11:40am
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #23 of 28

OCCUPY SANDY!

 

Here's an aspect of the aftermath of Hurricane/Storm Sandy which, typically and expectedly, has been roundly ignored/censoredby the US corporate weasel media. The reasons are pretty obvious - this presents Occupy members in a good light, which is blatantly against the corporate media's unwritten rule for reporting on Occupy. This was established as soon as people started camping out in city parks, and it was an incessant barrage about hygiene, designed to disenfranchise anyone who protested war profiteering, greed, $multi-trillion dollar corporate welfare, Wall Street parasitism, serial crime, indentured servitude and the rest of capitalism's failures and less-than-civilized aspects. However, slightly more rational media overseas (even the uber-conservative UK government propaganda outlet, "Auntie Beeb", aka the BBC) have been reporting on this. Quote below:

 

 

 

 

Quote:

"Within 24 hours we had our first hub in Red Hook [Brooklyn] and a 40-person volunteer meeting, and after that it exploded exponentially." Supplies are delivered by mid-day, but new donations keep the church full. The group now has 50,000 volunteers on its mailing list and almost $500,000 in the bank.

 

Members participate in weekly conference calls with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) and other leading relief groups, and work with more established organisations to hone their skills. The Church of St Luke and St Matthew in Clinton Hill and the warehouse in Red Hook serve as distribution centres for volunteers and donated supplies. Volunteers rely on reports from the individual communities to determine needs, then send out those requests on Twitter and Facebook - for instance, asking for gluten-free or diabetic food, or requesting volunteer services of mechanics, construction workers, or medical professionals.

 

etc.

 

These people, >50,000 volunteers associated with OWS, are giving their time and effort to help the victims of the storm. How many Wall Street banksters have been putting in their own time to help, that is,  when they're not scamming people out of their homes with fraudulent foreclosures etc. etc. etc., or brokering major drug deals etc? Doubtfully any.

 

 

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #24 of 28

Are we still clinging to the idea that big government is the solution?

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Are we still clinging to the idea that big government is the solution?

For disaster relief? Yes. Absolutely. Show me one example, any example, anywhere on earth where lack of government disaster relief has helped.
post #26 of 28
You see, "big government" is this great catch-all catchphrase that really helps get the angry white men all riled up and randy. But what you call big government, most people just call government, and disaster relief is one aspect of responsible government that cannot be compromised. Without it we are relying on business -- whose business it is to make a profit -- for help. There is no room for profit in disaster relief.
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 

That is why government is essential in times like this when horrific events happen and people have to depend on the government for financial and moral support.Regarding FEMA.
 

post #28 of 28

Moral support? WTF?! You guys may want to "fact check" the results of FEMA et. al.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Storm Sandy