or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft said to be testing its own smartphone design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft said to be testing its own smartphone design

post #1 of 75
Thread Starter 
In addition to building its own tablet to compete with the iPad, Microsoft may design and sell its own smartphone to take on Apple's iPhone, according to a new report.

Microsoft is said to be working with suppliers in Asia to test its own smartphone design, The Wall Street Journal reported this week. While the company is reportedly toying with the idea of building its own smartphone, officials aren't sure whether the product will actually hit the market.

The device being tested by Microsoft has a screen size between four and five inches, which is the new standard for smartphones. Apple's latest iPhone has a slightly larger 4-inch display.

Microsoft's Windows Phone platform has floundered against Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Android. The Redmond, Wash., software company hopes its mobile operating system will get a boost this fall with the debut of Windows Phone 8.

Surface WiFi


But if Windows Phone 8 continues to struggle, the company could decide to its own hardware, in an effort to spur sales.

Microsoft has designed and built Xbox game consoles for more than a decade. And last month, the company went in a new direction when it released Surface, a Microsoft-designed touchscreen tablet that runs a modified version of the Windows 8 operating system known as Windows RT.
post #2 of 75
Of course they are ... they have to emulate everything Apple does otherwise they are dead in ten years or sooner.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #3 of 75
I'm guessing it will look like a Zune HD with phone circuitry and software. And they won't get the irony in perpetuating a UI whose direct ancestor might have helped sink the Zune HD.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/2/12 at 5:58am
post #4 of 75
Meanwhile anyone else noticed the Apple update system has gone down? Scott must have taken the keys with him!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #5 of 75
My guess it will look like Windows 8, all primary and secondary colored tiles.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #6 of 75

I thought they had started a close relationship with Nokia to build their flagship win8 smartphone, it was called Lumia. Or is this report anticipating the purchase of Nokia by MS?

post #7 of 75

Looking forward to it! I really hope it comes with a kickstand a stylus and a flip out keyboard.

Not like the useless stuff Apple produces.

 

/s

post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Looking forward to it! I really hope it comes with a kickstand a stylus and a flip out keyboard.

Not like the useless stuff Apple produces.

 

/s

 



Agreed, and they need to make all kinds of racket when deployed.

post #9 of 75
Microsoft.

They really have no fucking clue these days.

Stop trying to copy the hardware.

It ain't that.

Stop trying to copy to software.

It ain't that.

Copy Apple's philosophies.
post #10 of 75

Oh...they're going to make another Kin! Haha! I thought they didn't want to make hardware and software? Now all of a sudden they're doing it?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #11 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But if Windows Phone 8 continues to struggle, the company could decide to its own hardware, in an effort to spur sales.

So not only was the Lumia 900 really a beta phone, MS treated Nokia like a beta company. I hope Nokia's alliance was a hail mary, because if they had other options, they should have done a better job of exhausting them than being Microsoft's throwaway partner.

I don't recall many complaints about the hardware on the Lumia 920. Exactly what do they hope to do to raise the WP8 turkey from the ashes?
post #12 of 75
They should do it. It's the model for success these days.
post #13 of 75

Not sure Microsoft has the visionaries necessary to make this a success.  The current mobile phone market is saturated, so if they want to entice people to switch from their Samsung or iPhone they will need to offer something different.  I don't know of anyone that trusts modern day Microsoft to be able to do that.  Sounds like they will come out with another phone that looks just like the rest and functions about as well as everything else out there. 

post #14 of 75

right on.. the first phone that’ll experience the blue screen of death.

post #15 of 75
This should be fascinating - another debacle on the way ...
post #16 of 75

Can't wait to see the marketing campaign. Every Microsoft tv ad seems like a case study in trying too hard, in a vain attempt to mimic hu-man appeal.

 

digitalclips View Post
Of course they are ... they have to emulate everything Apple does otherwise they are dead in ten years or sooner.

This and more. I was in a Microsoft Store last week, and it was full of silver-with-black-keys ultrabooks; Macbook clones in a clone store.

 

I like how whenever Apple does something, Microsoft copies and turns it to 11. Aqua had an extra layer of gloss and animation, so Aero practically vomited gloss, and some pretty elaborate file copy animation. Text-based iPod interface? Our music player will be all about text, so big it goes off the screen! Since OS X became more unified and understated, Windows 8 went full basic.

I think Apple is slowly becoming wise to this, moving slightly in one direction just to watch Microsoft wildly veer that way and crash through a wall. You're supposed to skate to where the puck will be, not all the way out in the parking lot!

 

JeffDM View Post
So not only was the Lumia 900 really a beta phone, MS treated Nokia like a beta company. I hope Nokia's alliance was a hail mary, because if they had other options, they should have done a better job of exhausting them than being Microsoft's throwaway partner.
I don't recall many complaints about the hardware on the Lumia 920. Exactly what do they hope to do to raise the WP8 turkey from the ashes?

Extend, embrace, extinguish. Microsoft's modus operandi is well-documented on this site.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #17 of 75
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Copy Apple's philosophies.

 

They "are". 

 

Ballmer has been doing that since he became CEO. Why, he watched Pirates of Silicon Valley and everything!

 

"Good artists copy, great artists steal." So they're stealing from Apple.

"Real artists ship." So they shipped Windows 8 with its new features and UI in a state I would call unworthy of an alpha.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 75

Zune Phone FTW!!!!

LOL

post #19 of 75
A phone UI designed to only be used in landscape will be awesome¡ /s

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Not sure Microsoft has the visionaries necessary to make this a success.  The current mobile phone market is saturated, so if they want to entice people to switch from their Samsung or iPhone they will need to offer something different.  I don't know of anyone that trusts modern day Microsoft to be able to do that.  Sounds like they will come out with another phone that looks just like the rest and functions about as well as everything else out there. 

Microsoft doesn't need vision. It's competitive play book has always been:
1. Get version 1.0 out there to compete against the incumbent
2. Get version 2.0 out there
3. Get version 3.1 out there
4. Get version 95 out there
Etc... Etc...
99. Market domination, coast until challenged.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

right on.. the first phone that’ll experience the blue screen of death.
It will be NEON CYAN screen of death.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 75
the market was MS, Google and Apple. It is now Apple, Google and MS, it soon will be Apple, Google and Samsung as the post PC era destroys the incumbents of the PC era.
post #23 of 75

LOL at all the Microsoft clone maker "partners".  They sold their sole to Microsoft and now get to enjoy the knife in the back like all Microsoft "partners" get in the end.

post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Oh...they're going to make another Kin! Haha! I thought they didn't want to make hardware and software? Now all of a sudden they're doing it?

Kin was a cluster.  that is for sure.  A play for the fickle 'adolescent' market.  xBox marketing meets  TeenBeat.

 

However, this is more of the 'long game' that well funded companies will take on.  It's apparent.  Money isn't in end device software anymore.  People aren't going to spend $150 for an OS and $150 for an office suite for a license hologram.   Money is in the tactile experience and integration of experience into HW and SW.   Apple has proven that.   You can get the HW markup of 20% and another 20% on brand and experience.

 

The game shifted to owning a 'layer' to owning a 'vertical', soon it will be 'owning the experience.'  Dell and HP are the ones loading crapware.  Samsung and Asus are building out their own appstore ecosystems.  MS moving to control the point of sale also gets the CC number, the first entree' into enrollment into Office365.com, Outlook.com, Microsoft Money, etc etc etc.   Why are the Nexus and the Kindle out there?  not to make a HW profit, but to control the eyeballs and the wallets of their installed base.   The Kindle is  a personal Point of Sale device, and Amazon will evolve that to be a 'gee i like that... Kindle, please buy me one of those....'  The Nexus, as much as it is a reference platform, it's also a vector to keep google's ad sales relevant.

 

My guess:  First the Surface, then you'll see a Microsoft 'Air' laptop, and then you'll see the phone, once MS kills Nokia.   (remember all MS mobile partnerships here:--> http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/in-memoriam-microsofts-previous-strategic-mobile-partners/   ).   The Surface (atom vs arm) battle will determine the phone app architecture, hence the delay.   

post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Of course they are ... they have to emulate everything Apple does otherwise they are dead in ten years or sooner.
You mean to emulate Google? Apple does not license its OSes to OEM and third parties, so Microsoft is rather going toward the Google Nexus way of reference devices.
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

the market was MS, Google and Apple. It is now Apple, Google and MS, it soon will be Apple, Google and Samsung as the post PC era destroys the incumbents of the PC era.
Android is 75% of the smartphone market in Q3, iOS 15%. I would reorder that list a bit to stay honest.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/idc-android-market-share-reached-75-worldwide-in-q3-2012/
post #27 of 75
Why? According to Dancing Monkey Sweatstain Boy Ballmer smart phones are beneath the hot shots at Microsuck.
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

I thought they had started a close relationship with Nokia to build their flagship win8 smartphone, it was called Lumia. Or is this report anticipating the purchase of Nokia by MS?

 

This is actually more like round five than round two.  The thing is, everything they release arrives with a gigantic clunk and then doesn't sell.  By starting all over again every six months or so they stay in the news.  It also allows them to perpetrate the lie that it's somehow the hardware that is at fault, when in fact it's the OS.  

 

The Lumia is good hardware and shows off the new OS as well as any hardware could. The phones are also reasonably cheap.  It still didn't sell though.  Microsoft may have *some* experience in hardware, but they are hardly top of the heap by any means, and not likely to make a better phone than Nokia or any of their hardware partners.  

 

The idea that MS making their own phone will make any difference to the equation is pretty silly on the face of it.  This situation is almost a perfect illustration of Einstein's famous definition of madness (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results).  

post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Android is 75% of the smartphone market in Q3, iOS 15%. I would reorder that list a bit to stay honest.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/idc-android-market-share-reached-75-worldwide-in-q3-2012/

Check actual usage stats. Where are all these Android phones being used?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So not only was the Lumia 900 really a beta phone, MS treated Nokia like a beta company. I hope Nokia's alliance was a hail mary, because if they had other options, they should have done a better job of exhausting them than being Microsoft's throwaway partner.
I don't recall many complaints about the hardware on the Lumia 920. Exactly what do they hope to do to raise the WP8 turkey from the ashes?


The Nokia hardware is first rate. Better than Motorola, Samsung, or HTC. It is possible Microsoft would do a Google like Nexus arrangement. Where it would market the phone itself, but allow a hardware partner to manufacture it. I suspect that is what Microsoft would do. Nokia will build it. Microsoft will name and market it.
post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Check actual usage stats. Where are all these Android phones being used?
Usage stats? Care to elaborate?
post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

You mean to emulate Google? Apple does not license its OSes to OEM and third parties, so Microsoft is rather going toward the Google Nexus way of reference devices.

MS doesn't license its XBox OS, so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented that they just take it all in-house. The sooner they take ownership of the idea that the UI is a turn-off, not the hardware, the sooner they can turn their problem around.

It may be that the Windows Phone brand is toast. Just take a look at the Lumia 900 ad, where they told us it wasn't a "beta" phone, despite the fact they quickly discontinued the model and the hardware can't run an OS released only three months later.
post #33 of 75
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
Usage stats? Care to elaborate?

 

Stats is short for "statistics" and usage means…

 

Really, what's confusing here?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The Nokia hardware is first rate. Better than Motorola, Samsung, or HTC. It is possible Microsoft would do a Google like Nexus arrangement. Where it would market the phone itself, but allow a hardware partner to manufacture it. I suspect that is what Microsoft would do. Nokia will build it. Microsoft will name and market it.

Really? The 900 was announced in March 2012 and can't run WP8, which was announced only a few months later. The processor isn't up for it and the screen resolution was behind the times. If you're talking about the 920, then OK, but knowing the 900 debacle, is there any reason to trust MS or Nokia again?

The 900 being mechanically solid and properly functioning is one thing, but being out of date in three months is a bit of an insult, especially with the "not a beta" ad they ran.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/2/12 at 8:36am
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Oh...they're going to make another Kin! Haha! I thought they didn't want to make hardware and software? Now all of a sudden they're doing it?

 

Personally, I would put the Kin in the same boat as WebOS from HP, which is to say they aren't necessarily a failure because they were both knifed in their cribs.  The few times Microsoft actually does design something nice they typically drop it like a hot potato for what usually turns out to be some bullshit financial reason that makes no sense when looked at even a week later.  

 

Kin, Zune etc. were never really given a chance, so in fact, we don't know how they would have faired.  

post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stats is short for "statistics" and usage means…

Really, what's confusing here?
'Usage' maybe? Do elaborate.
post #37 of 75

Because Nokia is a sinking ship that can't get its shit together and/or because MS *loves* shafting their partners. 

 

Pick your poison. 

post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Usage stats? Care to elaborate?

 I think they are referring to the fact that these are 'shipped' phones, which does not necessarily mean that they're all in end user hands.

 

A better measure of share is to look at the stats on popular websites. These are phones that are actually in use.

post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


The Nokia hardware is first rate. Better than Motorola, Samsung, or HTC. It is possible Microsoft would do a Google like Nexus arrangement. Where it would market the phone itself, but allow a hardware partner to manufacture it. I suspect that is what Microsoft would do. Nokia will build it. Microsoft will name and market it.

 

 

It's junk. It looks like junk and feels like it. 

 

Microsoft/Nokia keeps announcing new phones as part of a smartphone platform in which no one is really interested.

post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is actually more like round five than round two.  The thing is, everything they release arrives with a gigantic clunk and then doesn't sell.  By starting all over again every six months or so they stay in the news.  It also allows them to perpetrate the lie that it's somehow the hardware that is at fault, when in fact it's the OS.  

The Lumia is good hardware and shows off the new OS as well as any hardware could. The phones are also reasonably cheap.  It still didn't sell though.  Microsoft may have *some* experience in hardware, but they are hardly top of the heap by any means, and not likely to make a better phone than Nokia or any of their hardware partners.  

The idea that MS making their own phone will make any difference to the equation is pretty silly on the face of it.  This situation is almost a perfect illustration of Einstein's famous definition of madness (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results).  

Microsoft makes hardware and has done so for years. It makes the XBox and numerous computer peripherals. Moreover, Oprah an acknowledged Apple fan just made the Surface one of her favorite things.

So, Nokia has great hardware, and Microsoft's OS is pretty good. I'd take an Windows Phone over Android. We are seeing what happens when Microsoft has to compete fairly. In the PC market, Microsoft was essentially handed IBM's market.

Microsoft's problem now is 1) small application store, 2) lack of partners willing to support the OS, and 3) it doesn't control the retail experience. All this is ironic because Microsoft used to tell people to buy Windows over Macs because of the lack of applications. Sales people used to push people to Windows machines for the same reason. It is going to cost Microsoft a lot of money to gain ground unless it can start exploiting some other assets it has like the XBox.

Microsoft also seems to be under the impression people actually liked Windows as opposed to put up with it. They should have kept Metro as the products name or came up with something better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft said to be testing its own smartphone design