or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Survey cites brand loyalty in iPad mini buyers; 75% keeping their existing iPad, too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Survey cites brand loyalty in iPad mini buyers; 75% keeping their existing iPad, too

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
iPad mini buyers surveyed by Piper Jaffray indicate more than half already have an iPad, and three quarters of them plan to keep their full size model alongside their new smaller model.

The small survey of 72 buyers, conducted by Piper Jaffray, seeks to profile who is buying Apple's devices and where those sales may be trending. The firm forecasts Apple will sell 1.5 million iPad minis in its 3 day launch weekend, compared to the nearly one million small tablets per month that Google is now selling.

Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster reported in a note to clients that 72 percent of his small survey of iPad mini buyers cited its compact size as their primary reason for buying the device. He concluded that this "reinforces our thesis that iPad Mini may start slower than some other product launches, but gain momentum as consumers recognize the portability benefits of the smaller size."

In contrast, analyst Walter Piecyk of BTIG stated, "we believe Apple?s first weekend sales of the iPad Mini needs, at a minimum, to top the 3 million first weekend sales of the iPad 3 in order to demonstrate that the management team can execute on ramping supply of new products and to provide some evidence that there is adequate demand for a smaller iPad at these price points."

Piecyk's sales threshold would mean that Apple's iPad mini would need to sell over 30 times faster than Google's mini tablet in order to prove that a market exists for small tablets.

Apple is currently only selling the WiFi-only version of iPad mini; the mobile data version, which supports 3G/4G LTE cellular data and includes GPS features, won't be available until later this month.

That fact led Brian J. White of Topeka Capital Markets to note, ?we are projecting Apple to sell 800,000 to 1 million 7.9-inch Wi-Fi iPad minis over the first three days," adding that "demand will prove to be much greater than the sales that Apple will be able to recognize during this period," citing supply constraints. White estimates Apple will sell 7 million iPad minis by the end of the year.

Who's buying the iPad mini?



Munster's small survey notes that initial buyers of the iPad mini represent many repeat customers. While 54 percent of iPad 3 buyers were new to iPad, only 42 percent of iPad mini were, with 11 percent reporting owning the original iPad, 23 percent claiming an iPad 2, and 25 percent saying they just bought iPad 3.

Of current owners, 75 percent said they plan to keep their existing iPad in addition to their new iPad mini. "We believe this suggests that customers purchasing iPad Minis may intend to do less video consumption and more Internet browsing/reading/app usage, which require less storage," Munster wrote.

Munster expects Apple to sell five million iPad minis in the winter quarter. "Ultimately," he added, "we believe it is possible that the iPad Mini could make up the majority of iPad units, although it will likely be beyond the first iteration of the device (currently modeling 28% of iPads in CY13 to be iPad Minis)."
post #2 of 25
Initial purchases were bound to be iDevice users. This survey taken in a month would be more telling.
post #3 of 25
I have purchased a total of three iPad 2's for the kids. I think my oldest will be getting the iPad mini for Christmas as she will probably appreciate the extra portability.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #4 of 25

Apple's got another blockbuster on their hands. But anything to do with more iPad goodness is going to sell in a big way anyway. 

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Initial purchases were bound to be iDevice users. This survey taken in a month would be more telling.

 

True. Apple people are early adopters of everything Apple... Thank you for that, early adopters.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 25
Oh, seems that I belong to the 75% group.
I will definitely keep my iPad 2 since it runs my flat rate data plan and my iPad mini which I am patiently waiting for will be WiFi only.
Makes perfect sense to keep my still jiucy iPad 2.

If only Siri was available for the iPad 2, they could babysit each other while I am not around.1wink.gif
Edited by Rabbit_Coach - 11/2/12 at 2:04pm
post #7 of 25

The survey makes sense. Those people who already have iPads and like them and use them alot, will also see the usefulness in having a smaller and much lighter iPad.

 

I haven't decided if I'm going to get an iPad Mini or not yet. But if I do get one, I'll be keeping my iPad 3 also. They each have their uses.

post #8 of 25
Off topic


What's up with aapl? It's plummeting like crazy without any obvious reason.
Is this still the aftermath of Sandy? Or is there something I am completely unaware of?
post #9 of 25
LOL about the analyst that says they have to sell at least 3 million this weekend! As pointed out this is 30 times what Google is selling...is Google a failure?? They are not even selling the 4G version for 2 more weeks! 3 million or more a month, not a weekend with half a product available would be a market dominating success. I am tired of the analysts building up expectations and causing the stock to drop when they don't meet trumped up and unreachable expectations. It was a crime when they had a blowout quarter ending in September and everyone is disappointed...despite growing their earnings at twice their PE ratio.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Off topic
What's up with aapl? It's plummeting like crazy without any obvious reason.
Is this still the aftermath of Sandy? Or is there something I am completely unaware of?

Institutional investors and their 'analyst' lackeys have to periodically drive the price down to get a buy-in point, otherwise they're locked out.

So we've seen the phoney maps issue, 'missed' earnings (i.e. the analyst 'missed', not AAPL), 'inability to meet demand (such a problem to have), and the always handy "Steve Jobs never would have..." idiocy, this time around the re-org.

The big boys will make a killing on this dip. Well played, but it can be stomach churning for us small fries.

post #11 of 25

"provide some evidence that there is adequate demand for a smaller iPad at these price points"

 

"price point"? I can't believe they are still using that tired cliché, Apple is not about 'price points', there's a frikken iPod touch at that 'price point' (almost)

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Off topic
What's up with aapl? It's plummeting like crazy without any obvious reason.
Is this still the aftermath of Sandy? Or is there something I am completely unaware of?

 

This is what happens when Zacky and Cramer open their mouths :) Load up as much as you can.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

 

This is what happens when Zacky and Cramer open their mouths :) Load up as much as you can.

 

Cramer is the worst I think. Not surprising that he manipulates given that he was a hedge fund guy who openly admitted this.

Now he has a network at his disposal to pump and short away.

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Institutional investors and their 'analyst' lackeys have to periodically drive the price down to get a buy-in point, otherwise they're locked out.

So we've seen the phoney maps issue, 'missed' earnings (i.e. the analyst 'missed', not AAPL), 'inability to meet demand (such a problem to have), and the always handy "Steve Jobs never would have..." idiocy, this time around the re-org.

The big boys will make a killing on this dip. Well played, but it can be stomach churning for us small fries.

 

 

Buy more

 

I did.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #15 of 25
I notice that Mr Piecyk says "we", not "I", which suggests that he is either a chicken or has delusions of royalty. At any rate, he (or they) appears to be inhabiting Cloud Cuckoo Land, judging by the comment in the article about Apple needing to outsell Google's figures by 30 times to "prove that there is a small tablet market". If that conlusion is valid, of course - and I'm not the person to confirm that.
Edited by AlexN - 11/2/12 at 5:48pm
post #16 of 25

Here it is, your moment of Zen:

 

Walter Piecyk of BTIG says the iPad Mini MUST sell 3 million units (THREE MILLION!!) at a MINIMUM in its FIRST WEEKEND, as the PROOF that there is adequate demand for a smaller iPad at these price points.

 

So, anything less is … "fail sauce"? Of course the implications are, if it doesn't sell at least 3 million the stock will be given another downward shock and, if it say, only sells 2 million in the first weekend, APPLE is DOOMED because that will PROVE there isn't "adequate demand" for a smaller iPad at these prices.

 

What? Who other than this bonehead says it must sell 3 million in a weekend to show the demand is "adequate"?


Seriously. How much more ridiculous do these 'analysts' need to be before we just tune them out completely?

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/154021/survey-cites-brand-loyalty-in-ipad-mini-buyers-75-keeping-their-existing-ipad-too#post_2225909"]Those people who already have iPads and like them and use them alot, will also see the usefulness in having a smaller and much lighter iPad.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get an iPad Mini or not yet. But if I do get one, I'll be keeping my iPad 3 also. They each have their uses.
With all due respect, and sincerity ... How do you plan to use your iPad mini differently than your iPad 3?

I'm just curious how the average user sees the strengths in day-to-day use as justification for having both.

This survey is staggering to me, as I can't really figure out how someone who has a $500+ iPad could justify buying a $330+ mini, for singular personal use, without some pretty task specific applications for which one or the other is poorly suited. Unless of course money is no object and you just collect Apple "toys" because you can ...

It just seems excessive to me, that's all. I have an iPhone 4, and an iPad. That's pretty much all I need. I prefer the iPad for just about everything, and don't really see wanting to use a smaller tablet for the same tasks. I feel like Apple got it right with the original dimensions. Do I see a market for a small tablet? Sure. But I have a hard time understanding how someone who already has an iPad also NEEDS this too. A replacement? Sure. But in addition to ...? Not sure I see it. My MacBook has a specific use, it does things the iPhone and iPad can't. The iPad is my primary interface these days. The iPhone is for everywhere I can't take my iPad. If I had a mobile device in-between those two iDevices, I'm not sure when I would make the decision to carry it ... It doesn't replace a phone, so I wouldn't carry it instead of an iPhone, and I prefer the bigger iPad screen when using it as an iPad. But then, maybe I haven't thought about how the average consumer might benefit from having all three devices ... I said before it came out it seemed the logical replacement for the Touch. In fact several reviews have said it does everything the Touch does better as it is slightly bigger, and by the same token, more effective than the iPad for games, etc. due to being slightly smaller. Sounds like the perfect place to be if you're also not going to offer an incorporated phone. And I'm not aware of too many average people with an iPhone and iPod Touch, and an iPad.

Seriously, I wanna know. These things are not inexpensive. What could possibly justify the investment in both, especially if you already have an iPhone?
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

With all due respect, and sincerity ... How do you plan to use your iPad mini differently than your iPad 3?

I'm just curious how the average user sees the strengths in day-to-day use as justification for having both.

This survey is staggering to me, as I can't really figure out how someone who has a $500+ iPad could justify buying a $330+ mini, for singular personal use, without some pretty task specific applications for which one or the other is poorly suited. Unless of course money is no object and you just collect Apple "toys" because you can ...

It just seems excessive to me, that's all. I have an iPhone 4, and an iPad. That's pretty much all I need. I prefer the iPad for just about everything, and don't really see wanting to use a smaller tablet for the same tasks. I feel like Apple got it right with the original dimensions. Do I see a market for a small tablet? Sure. But I have a hard time understanding how someone who already has an iPad also NEEDS this too. A replacement? Sure. But in addition to ...? Not sure I see it. My MacBook has a specific use, it does things the iPhone and iPad can't. The iPad is my primary interface these days. The iPhone is for everywhere I can't take my iPad. If I had a mobile device in-between those two iDevices, I'm not sure when I would make the decision to carry it ... It doesn't replace a phone, so I wouldn't carry it instead of an iPhone, and I prefer the bigger iPad screen when using it as an iPad. But then, maybe I haven't thought about how the average consumer might benefit from having all three devices ... I said before it came out it seemed the logical replacement for the Touch. In fact several reviews have said it does everything the Touch does better as it is slightly bigger, and by the same token, more effective than the iPad for games, etc. due to being slightly smaller. Sounds like the perfect place to be if you're also not going to offer an incorporated phone. And I'm not aware of too many average people with an iPhone and iPod Touch, and an iPad.

Seriously, I wanna know. These things are not inexpensive. What could possibly justify the investment in both, especially if you already have an iPhone?

It is weird, huh? I find myself looking at the mini online, and even though I don't need one, it looks so good and because it's pocketable in my winter coat I'm actually contemplating on buying one. Not because I need one. Heck, I bought the iPad3 while still using the 2010 model (in the kitchen, easy for morning news while making an espresso).

Gees, there was nothing wrong with my 4 and yet still bought the 5. These products are just desirable.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


It is weird, huh? I find myself looking at the mini online, and even though I don't need one, it looks so good and because it's pocketable in my winter coat I'm actually contemplating on buying one. Not because I need one. Heck, I bought the iPad3 while still using the 2010 model (in the kitchen, easy for morning news while making an espresso).
Gees, there was nothing wrong with my 4 and yet still bought the 5. These products are just desirable.

 

I went to have a look at the Apple Mini in an Apple Store yesterday. It was interesting listening to the comments of other shoppers/browsers. Very favourable reaction, but most already had a 9.7" iPad and still wanted a mini.

 

After seeing them in the flesh, I changed my online order from white to black.

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

 

Cramer is the worst I think. Not surprising that he manipulates given that he was a hedge fund guy who openly admitted this.

Now he has a network at his disposal to pump and short away.

Actually he is smarter than that. If he had any conflict of interest like you suggest he would be fired and also arrested. That is why he has his stock portfolio in a fund which he doesn't directly control.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It is weird, huh? I find myself looking at the mini online, and even though I don't need one, it looks so good and because it's pocketable in my winter coat I'm actually contemplating on buying one. Not because I need one. Heck, I bought the iPad3 while still using the 2010 model (in the kitchen, easy for morning news while making an espresso).
Gees, there was nothing wrong with my 4 and yet still bought the 5. These products are just desirable.
Absolutely! No denying that ... I'm already thinking how great a mini might be as a dedicated remote control for my Apple TV!! But again, that is a complete luxury item if you already have an iPad ... though I recall paying over $100 for a Sony integrated remote control and remember even more expensive touch screen options being available at my local home theater specialist in the late 90s .,.

I'm just trying to figure out where it fits realistically in the eco systems for those who already have an iPhone/Touch and iPad.

I too have kept my original iPad when I bought my iPad 3, which I did primarily for the retina display. I kept the original as a backup, and for traveling to places where there is a legitimate fear of damage or theft. But it otherwise sits idle, and is really a luxury. I certainly would not have replaced it with a mini, however, as the screen real estate is so valuable and the mini not so much smaller as to make a difference in traveling with it.

The success of the mini will not be as a niche product for users who already have an iPad, nor as a replacement or likely an upgrade. At least I find it hard to imagine it being a 1:1 duplicate purchase for those who already have an iPad. It seems to me that in order to be as successful, it really will have to be adopted widely by those who otherwise couldn't afford an iPad, but wanted one, or adopted by those who have task specific uses which justify a smaller iPad by the average user who cannot otherwise afford the luxury of dropping $330+ on a "toy" to make interfacing with their TV easier. Aside from duplicate purchases by those who already have iPads, it seems to me anybody who would buy an iPod Touch would opt for the mini instead. In which case it will canibalize that entire product line (which seems unconscionable even if Apple can afford it), but as some reviewers have speculated, the Touch appears to be in its final life-cycle anyway and this may indeed be Apple's plan, along with cutting into Android's sub-10" tablet market and adding new customers who couldn't afford an iPad anyway, nor wanted to buy the cheap crap offered by other manufacturers.
post #22 of 25
I have an iPad 2, similar specs to the iPad mini. After sponsoring 2 external keyboards on Kickstarter and finding the real mousetrap on Zagg (Pro Plus w/backlighting), I plan to keep my iPad 2 and purchase a mini. I also have a MacBook Pro that pretty much stays home. The iPad 2 will go to my place where I stay while I am working and mini will live in my lab coat pocket and in my purse.

I work nights in a hospital and my iPhone is a little too small to try to navigate in the dark when looking up medications and lab values. It also gets used simultaneously to communicate with my colleagues. I think the mini will be a great carry around mobile reference (Epocrates, ACLS, Medscape and even Citrix for mobile access to the EMR) for my work as a nurse practitioner hospitalist.

The Zagg keyboard is bluetooth, so should be compatible with the mini until they come out with a similar sized equivalent. They do have a folio keyboard but from most of the accessories I have seen, they add bulk to an otherwise awesome compact device and in my opinion, defeats the purpose of having the mini.

Debi Wong
Deb Gail, Nurse Practitioner and tele ski bum
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived" by or about Steve Jobs
Reply
Deb Gail, Nurse Practitioner and tele ski bum
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived" by or about Steve Jobs
Reply
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

This survey is staggering to me, as I can't really figure out how someone who has a $500+ iPad could justify buying a $330+ mini, for singular personal use, without some pretty task specific applications for which one or the other is poorly suited. Unless of course money is no object and you just collect Apple "toys" because you can ...
 

 

I think that's splitting hairs, really. I have 3 pairs of shoes: sneakers, a brown "at work" shoe, and black "dress" show, whereas my ex had a rack full of shoes, over a dozen or so (I won't even go into the space she took up in the closet for clothes). She also had 3 feature phones (this was several years ago when feature phones were the rage), but she had only 1 number and 1 SIM card, which she shuttled between phones. The phone of choice depended on what she was wearing, what bag she was carrying, and what she would be doing. Just like her choice of shoe.

To me, it seemed really strange to spend so much of your disposable income on having a lot of choices in what to wear and what phone to carry, but it was completely normal for her, and I came to accept that. And if I mentioned it to her, I'd hear back about "why do I need more than one computer?" etc. I had 2 PCs, 1 Windows laptop, and 1 PowerBook G4 at the time. I could try to explain to her that one of my PCs was for a media center/file server, and other had different boot partitions for different OSes (back when I gave a shit about that). But technically she was right: I could theoretically make do with a single PC (or laptop), if it had a big enough HDD, which back then, I estimated would be 1TB--which is laughable now. But it made more sense for me to have 1 PC as a media server, 1 PC for doing desktop stuff, a Windows laptop for portable work, and the PowerBook G4 which ran Mac OS X--this was before I made the firm decision to abandon Windows and Microsoft.

 

My point is that what we think is "normal" as far as what we need or can justify is a very fluid and relative thing. For example 2 years ago, Steve Jobs stood in front of the world and tried to sell us on the idea that our computing universe wasn't complete with just a smartphone and laptop, that there was a "third category of device" in between the two:

 

700

 

and never having owned, used, or seen an iPad, I remember being a bit skeptical when I saw that slide, but then fast-forward to 2012. This slide sums up the current post-iPad zeitgeist:

 

700

 

Like you, I also agree that I wouldn't give up my iPad. It's a device that, two years ago, many of us didn't think we needed is now indispensable, essential. While I don't think the iPad mini is a "fourth category of device" (it's still in the third category), it's different enough and cheap enough that, like my ex and her multiple feature phones (which were also in the $250-$400 range back in 2005-2006), some people will find a reason to own more than one. And given that 75% of initial buyers plan to carry both, I don't think that's a small number. I personally wouldn't do that, but I'm not going to argue with someone over how they spend their money, or ask them to justify themselves to me.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #24 of 25

I'm one of those 3 owners who also ordered an iMini and will probably keep both.  My reasons:  it was a chance to upgrade from 16gb to 64, and I feel the size and weight will make it a device I'll have on me constantly unless I'm at work.  The 3 I'll keep around for retina apps and future jailbreaking.

everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
Reply
everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
Reply
post #25 of 25
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster's small survey notes that initial buyers of the iPad mini represent many repeat customers. While 54 percent of iPad 3 buyers were new to iPad, only 42 percent of iPad mini were, with 11 percent reporting owning the original iPad, 23 percent claiming an iPad 2, and 25 percent saying they just bought iPad 3.

 

This is what Microsoft, Google, and Amazon are facing.  Apple's pervasive, worldwide mindshare.

Nobody in the tech world can make a move in the smartphone or pad computer space without being instantly

compared against Apple.  You say "tablet" or "slate" or "pad" and people think "iPad."  And there's nothing

any would-be Apple competitor can do about that.

 

Good luck with repeat customers Microsoft, Google, and Amazon.  

And let us know when you've sold your first 100 million iPad clones.  We literally can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Survey cites brand loyalty in iPad mini buyers; 75% keeping their existing iPad, too
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Survey cites brand loyalty in iPad mini buyers; 75% keeping their existing iPad, too